ADVERTISEMENT

What's going on in the Southwest suburban conference

A

anon_4vszfu35bv677

anyone have a clue what is going on with this conference? What is the direction? Are they going to stay one big conference or are othe members going to bail?
Anyone know?

Stagg and Andrew want out but have no where to go.

My guess is the Thorns eventually end up in the Southland.

SW Prairie?

Doubtful. They both want in the South Suburban because they would be at the top of most of the sports there. South Suburban has no interest in expanding. A lot of people.think Lemont eventually leaves but in any other conference they,go from the top to the middle most years in sports.

The Joliet should of went to the Southland. Would have been best option for Central.

The 3 Thorns in the Southland would have to be voluntary on their part (see lawsuit from decades ago). That would leave a conference of 10 (3 x LW, H-F,
'Brook, Lockport, Andrew, Stagg, Sandburg, Bradley). Leaving as one division and play everyone for the 9 regular season games could be a hard sell to a few of the programs. Possibly 2 divisions of 5 with 4 games intra-division, 3 cross-overs and 2 non-cons? Build divisions on enrollment/recent performance with some mobility options? Similarly base cross-overs on last season's record (like the South Suburban)?

With my youngest son graduating two years ago I have no idea what may be happening with the conference, but I do know that I don't like the current state of the conference.

Guess no one really has an idea... Edgy, what say you?

The problems in this conference extend well beyond the FB competition where an unwieldy, odd number of teams (13) exist without divisions and predictable annual standings are beginning to emerge. These are some other issues across all the athletic programs regarding some SWSC members:
  • decreasing safety in travel/attendance for night events at certain venues
  • diminishing competition in so many sports across both the boys and girls programs (not fielding teams at all levels, unacceptable score/record disparities in numerous contests)
  • lack of compliance with basic hosting courtesies at some locations (ever try to get a roster/program at an event? or information from mainstream online platforms like Athletics2000 (8to18) or MaxPreps?).
I hope some administrators at both the building and district levels at the schools in this conference are pushing for some changes to the current state of affairs, because it is not good on many levels.

Agree, the softball and baseball results between some teams border on unsafe and often detrimental to everyone involved. In fact this past spring a varsity baseball game was called because a "wanderer" walked onto the field asking for things. And some buses have been hit by people throwing rocks on way to fields.

Thanks Woody6. I know some of the problems, I was hoping to hear what some of the solutions might be.

Edgy are you looking into this?

Thanks Woody6. I know some of the problems, I was hoping to hear what some of the solutions might be.

Edgy are you looking into this?
I would be surprised if Edgy, James Bond or any other sleuth could get much out of this SWSC group. When the 2 Joliets left the conference followed by the LW North closure, "word one" could not be discovered about what would shake down. Then, very late after it was too late to do anything else, they rolled-out their "grand FB plan" of a single 13-team conference with annual scheduling determined by some secret, unpublicized manner.
By the way, in tennis they did establish 2 divisions, however LWE exceeds the enrollment of every team in their division by almost 1000 students. Guess who won the team championships on both the boys and girls side? Yes ... LWE.

Distances aside and since Bolingbrook passed, would any of the "have" teams of the SWSC make it in the DVC?

Word on the street, years ago when the SICA was about to blowup, Stagg and Andrew were going to go the the South Suburban Conference, while Sandburg was going to go to the SWSC. The former Superintendent of D230 at the time shot it down because he did not want to have to attend two different conference meetings for athletics. It would have been the logical move athletically at the time for the 3 schools, but now Stagg and Andrew are stuck because the SSC (rightfully so) does not want them.

Word on the street, years ago when the SICA was about to blowup, Stagg and Andrew were going to go the the South Suburban Conference, while Sandburg was going to go to the SWSC. The former Superintendent of D230 at the time shot it down because he did not want to have to attend two different conference meetings for athletics. It would have been the logical move athletically at the time for the 3 schools, but now Stagg and Andrew are stuck because the SSC (rightfully so) does not want them.
The SSC has had a sweet and stable two-division setup of 7 teams each that annually allows for 2 opening non-cons, 6 intra-division games and 1 cross-over based upon prior season record. Geographically, they can easily schedule at least one CPS non-con a year, drop a couple games in the league to usually include Lemont (Blue) or Richards (Red) and maybe one other and still qualify. Then, especially if a 5A qualifier, pick-up a CPS school in Round 1 and be playing in Week 11. Why upset the applecart?

What about adding Lemont for two seven team conferences?

Distances aside and since Bolingbrook passed, would any of the "have" teams of the SWSC make it in the DVC?
LWE & H-F would probably be just fine. Sandburg and Lockport would probably be competitive.

What about adding Lemont for two seven team conferences?
Since invading the SSC Blue Division in 2006, Lemont in FB has gone 56-7 within their league including 7 undefeated division seasons and is 18-0 the last three. Only at gunpoint would they leave their conference/division. Once in a while they meet a challenge in their annual cross-over with the Red side, usually in the form of Richards. Lemont youth feeder programs are miles ahead of their division opponents, especially of late.

The SSC has had a sweet and stable two-division setup of 7 teams each that annually allows for 2 opening non-cons, 6 intra-division games and 1 cross-over based upon prior season record. Geographically, they can easily schedule at least one CPS non-con a year, drop a couple games in the league to usually include Lemont (Blue) or Richards (Red) and maybe one other and still qualify. Then, especially if a 5A qualifier, pick-up a CPS school in Round 1 and be playing in Week 11. Why upset the applecart?

Why upset the apple cart?

Reading is a skill.
I agree with you. I stated "because the SSC (RIGHTFULLY SO) does not want them."
Currently, If I am the SSC I want no part of Stagg and Andrew.

I repeat, in 2005 when the leagues were forming, Stagg and Andrew were a viable option for 2 divisions of 8 in the SSC. The D230 Superintendent shot it down, and Stagg has yet to make the playoffs and Andrew has struggled to make since then. Thanks Pat McMahon.

Why upset the apple cart?

Reading is a skill.
I agree with you. I stated "because the SSC (RIGHTFULLY SO) does not want them."
Currently, If I am the SSC I want no part of Stagg and Andrew.

I repeat, in 2005 when the leagues were forming, Stagg and Andrew were a viable option for 2 divisions of 8 in the SSC. The D230 Superintendent shot it down, and Stagg has yet to make the playoffs and Andrew has struggled to make since then. Thanks Pat McMahon.

Isn't it hard to blame the supt when this year Andrew plays 5 schools smaller than they are?

Probably no small factor in Andrew's fall from grace the last few years could be lack of head coach longevity. Since Mike O'Neil's departure after the '05 season, the T-bolts are under their 4th head coach already. Actually, the entire D230 FB performance lately might be indicative of some systemic issue district-wide?

If LWN didn't close they would have been on the big side of the conference.

And if the Joliet schools didn't bolt they would have been on the small side?

They have 2100ish kids, hard to fault a supt for not wanting to go to a conference with schools of 1100 to 1600 kids

Probably no small factor in Andrew's fall from grace the last few years could be lack of head coach longevity. Since Mike O'Neil's departure after the '05 season, the T-bolts are under their 4th head coach already. Actually, the entire D230 FB performance lately might be indicative of some systemic issue district-wide?
That is a good point. All three 230 teams had bad last year. Stagg has never had a great football program. Your thesis on Andrew is probably correct. Sandburg has continued to slide over the years. Orland Park has a huge talent drain to the Catholic schools and they have never tried to address the problem. There will be a lot of Orland kids starting across the ESCC and CCL that if they were playing for the Eagles would make a huge difference.

Question remains how does this conference get fixed and does anybody care to fix it? And not just football... it is unbalanced, uncompetitive, and confusing in almost all levels of all sports.

Reactions: mullin17
I honestly do not think those at the administrative levels in D230 really care to initiate any fix. They appear to have a focus upon academics and activities/clubs (not judging that as right or wrong). As long as they can fill their teams and produce a few successes in the individual sports plus an occasional team highlight, that seems to be good enough. They accept that teacher/coach hiring is hamstrung by contract/salary restrictions preventing granting prior years of experience. Finally, realization could exist that an emerging demographic in the 3 schools may not being choosing to assimilate in the athletic programs in proportionate numbers.

I honestly do not think those at the administrative levels in D230 really care to initiate any fix. They appear to have a focus upon academics and activities/clubs (not judging that as right or wrong). As long as they can fill their teams and produce a few successes in the individual sports plus an occasional team highlight, that seems to be good enough. They accept that teacher/coach hiring is hamstrung by contract/salary restrictions preventing granting prior years of experience. Finally, realization could exist that an emerging demographic in the 3 schools may not being choosing to assimilate in the athletic programs in proportionate numbers.
Re the emerging demographic, that's a change from 80s Bogan and 90s Oak Lawn Community, even in wrestling?

Well said. You can use Sandburg Football as a perfect example. A certain successful, well respected football coach interviewed and was their first choice until salary came into play. Said coach declines SB offer and is now the Head Coach at different SWSC conference school

Question remains how does this conference get fixed and does anybody care to fix it? And not just football... it is unbalanced, uncompetitive, and confusing in almost all levels of all sports.

Great post.
I don't think the conference ever gets fixed. There are ample opportunities to fix, but will it lead to headaches or bad publicity again?
If you look at the SWSC By-laws it states:
Article III – Guidelines for expulsion from the SWSC Section 1. Failure of a member school to maintain athletic and activity programs that are comparable in breadth and scope to those offered by the other member schools of the SWSC may lead to expulsion from the Conference. This includes, but is not limited to, the failure of a member school to retain a designation in the same IHSA division, retain approval by the IHSA in the case of cooperative programs, maintain the same level of teams as currently exists within the SWSC, and have substantially similar numbers of students trying out for and participating in the programs. A list of the athletic and activity programs appears in the appendix.

Comparable sports are defined as minimum sports and levels for the following sport seasons: Fall Sports:  Boys Cross Country – 2 levels (Var., F/S)  Girls Cross Country – 2 levels (Var., F/S)  Football – 4 levels (Var., So., Fr. A, Fr. B)  Boys Golf – 2 levels (Var., F/S)  Boys Soccer – 3 level (Var., So., Fr.)  Girls Tennis – 2 levels (Var., F/S)  Girls Volleyball – 4 levels (Var., So., Fr. A, Fr. B) Winter Sports:  Boys Basketball – 4 levels (Var., So., Fr. A, Fr. B)  Girls Basketball – 4 levels (Var., So., Fr. A, Fr. B)  Wrestling – 3 levels (Var., JV, Fr) Spring Sports:  Baseball – 3 levels (Var., So., Fr.)  Girls Soccer – 3 level (Var., So., Fr.)  Softball – 3 levels (Var., So., Fr.)  Boys Tennis – 2 levels (Var., F/S)  Boys Track – 2 levels (Var., F/S)  Girls Track – 2 levels (Var., F/S)

Unbalanced: Absolutely, the scope of some programs do not belong in the same league

Uncompetitive: Yes, in the major sports in the larger Division it is the same schools, winning the same sports, year in and out. FB=HF, LWE Hoops: TT, HF Sball=LWE, LP Baseball=LWE, LP

Confusing: Yes, odd number of teams, horrible geographic locations for attendance, lack of conference pride (example: no connection of Stagg to Bradley or Andrew to BBrook), use of enrollment for football not competitive balance (Main reason why the Joliets left, and Stagg desperately wanting out).

Great post.
I don't think the conference ever gets fixed. There are ample opportunities to fix, but will it lead to headaches or bad publicity again?
Article III – Guidelines for expulsion from the SWSC Section 1. Failure of a member school to maintain athletic and activity programs that are comparable in breadth and scope to those offered by the other member schools of the SWSC may lead to expulsion from the Conference. This includes, but is not limited to, the failure of a member school to retain a designation in the same IHSA division, retain approval by the IHSA in the case of cooperative programs, maintain the same level of teams as currently exists within the SWSC, and have substantially similar numbers of students trying out for and participating in the programs. A list of the athletic and activity programs appears in the appendix.

Comparable sports are defined as minimum sports and levels for the following sport seasons: Fall Sports:  Boys Cross Country – 2 levels (Var., F/S)  Girls Cross Country – 2 levels (Var., F/S)  Football – 4 levels (Var., So., Fr. A, Fr. B)  Boys Golf – 2 levels (Var., F/S)  Boys Soccer – 3 level (Var., So., Fr.)  Girls Tennis – 2 levels (Var., F/S)  Girls Volleyball – 4 levels (Var., So., Fr. A, Fr. B) Winter Sports:  Boys Basketball – 4 levels (Var., So., Fr. A, Fr. B)  Girls Basketball – 4 levels (Var., So., Fr. A, Fr. B)  Wrestling – 3 levels (Var., JV, Fr) Spring Sports:  Baseball – 3 levels (Var., So., Fr.)  Girls Soccer – 3 level (Var., So., Fr.)  Softball – 3 levels (Var., So., Fr.)  Boys Tennis – 2 levels (Var., F/S)  Boys Track – 2 levels (Var., F/S)  Girls Track – 2 levels (Var., F/S)

Unbalanced: Absolutely, the scope of some programs do not belong in the same league

Uncompetitive: Yes, in the major sports in the larger Division it is the same schools, winning the same sports, year in and out. FB=HF, LWE Hoops: TT, HF Sball=LWE, LP Baseball=LWE, LP

Confusing: Yes, odd number of teams, horrible geographic locations for attendance, lack of conference pride (example: no connection of Stagg to Bradley or Andrew to BBrook), use of enrollment for football not competitive balance (Main reason why the Joliets left, and Stagg desperately wanting out).
I'd love to see Andrew on the football schedule. I can't understand for the life of me why they haven't been on the schedule when the SWC scheduled crossovers previously and the current set up. The T Bolts need to get what's coming to them.

Great post.
"Substantially similar numbers of students trying out for and participating in the programs?" Good luck finding or conducting that audit, especially considering you can't even count on a game day roster, in FB, at least, in certain locations. Check out the numbers on the sidelines at the sophomore level during the 2nd half of a FB season at selected match-ups, also. Anyone initiating expulsion for a member(s) would face monumental backlash.

So what we're saying here is nothing is going to be done because schools are afraid of rocking the boat.... whether it be 230 being complacent or schools afraid of a backlash ala SICA blowup? Meanwhile athletes, coaches, and spectators are shortchanged on proper conference competiveness, safety, and participation. Blows my mind that better change is not being looked at by many schools.

The old SICA was a pretty damn good conference, it's a shame that the blue bloods blew that conference up!! It was the greatest conference in the state. Now they are stuck in a have and have not conference.

The old SICA was a pretty damn good conference, it's a shame that the blue bloods blew that conference up!! It was the greatest conference in the state. Now they are stuck in a have and have not conference.
Kamala Buckner used threats and cries of racism to force the Thorns into the new conference.Because her brother was a Basketball star.She was not heard from when schools were met with threats and rocks and bricks at fans and school busses after games at those schools.After the projects got torn down those people got sent to Sica schools and some became dangerous.Richie Rebel & The Confederate flag at TFS are now viewed as racistist.Until this year some former Sica schools which hosted night games sophomore and varsity with little or no trouble hosted Saturday games.Rich Central hosted Varsity only at 6 pm friday nights as did Rich South which then went to Saturday only games.I read a article that they couldn't control the crowds at the games there and fans had rocks and bricks thrown at their cars.That used to be a great place to watch a game.The beautiful light up star on their scoreboard was shot down by a gang of thugs a high up that left there told me.They had to put a prison type fence in to separate home and away.Rival gangs that never were there got into a huge brawl and so when you paid to see a game there you had to pick a side and stay there.They had that dangerous incident during the Big Dipper tournament with guns involved.Also during a award ceremony a student there owed drug money.They sent a gang in there that day to kill the student and were stopped.That is when they put in metal detectors.Hillcrest had someone short a gun in the air after a game with Argo that resulted in multiple city police coming to stop all cars there.It took Argo over a hour to get out of there.Joliet West once safe and beautiful went to day games as did Bloom/Bloom Trail.Sad

Reactions: juschill
  • Bloom is hosting 2 non-cons on Fridays, although 1 starts at 4:30, the other 6:00.
  • Rich Central hosts 2 non-cons and 1 conference game (C-M) on Fridays, but hosts D227 rival Rich South on a Saturday.
  • Rich South hosts 1 non-con along with 3 non-D227 teams on Fridays, but welcomes sister school Rich East on a Saturday.

Rumor out now that after next year (2018-2019), the Thorn schools are officially out of SWSC. The SWSC will have to reshuffle divisions somehow.

Rumor out now that after next year (2018-2019), the Thorn schools are officially out of SWSC. The SWSC will have to reshuffle divisions somehow.
I have heard this two other times this month. The 3 Thorns to the Southland leaving 10 in the SWSC, is what I have heard. I fail to understand all the secrecy in these matters, particularly from the SWSC. You would think some matter of national security is being guarded. Open up!

I still believe there's a good possibility that Oswego and Oswego East will leave the SWPC and join the DVC by...2019-2020...Both of those schools have filled in games for what will be the 5 DVC schools (NC,NN, WV, NV, MV) next season in various sports..

I still believe there's a good possibility that Oswego and Oswego East will leave the SWPC and join the DVC by...2019-2020...Both of those schools have filled in games for what will be the 5 DVC schools (NC,NN, WV, NV, MV) next season in various sports..
Is that any different than in years past? Have they typically played non-conference games?

ADVERTISEMENT