ADVERTISEMENT

What Was Nagy Thinking?

You were happy with the QBs six turnovers? You must be a Cubs fan, too.

I was unhappy but calling this team mediocre is just not looking at what’s really happening. And HES A BACKUP. Would you rather be the Redskins or Packers or Lions right now?

I never thought this team would be in contention for the division. Going to Bears games is fun again. Which I haven’t said in years. If you can’t see what’s going on then you’re a bitter football fan. They sucked Sunday but they are two wins away from winning the division. Surely you didn’t have them doing that before the season started.

I was unhappy but calling this team mediocre is just not looking at what’s really happening. And HES A BACKUP. Would you rather be the Redskins or Packers or Lions right now?

I never thought this team would be in contention for the division. Going to Bears games is fun again. Which I haven’t said in years. If you can’t see what’s going on then you’re a bitter football fan. They sucked Sunday but they are two wins away from winning the division. Surely you didn’t have them doing that before the season started.

I couldn’t of said it any better Newt. It seems some of these guys thought this was the Bears year. Silly thinking. The Bears are still young learning and growing. Maybe add a few more pieces to the puzzle. We are well on our way to having a pro football team we can all be happy to root for.

Reactions: Gene K.
Totally agree Corey: The Bears are definitely ahead of schedule in the progression from a bad team to a good team. Adding Mack helped the defense to become one of the best in the NFL. I believe that in Nagy's system Trubisky will only get better and better as he has all the tools to be a very good QB.

Listening to the Bear press conferences shows me Nagy know his stuff for such a young coach. A nice playoff run this year would be something to see but in all honesty, it looks like the Bears are a year or two away from making a long run to the super bowl.

It will be very interesting to see what position will be at the top of the Bears list in the next NFL draft. It seems to me that GM Pace is definitely getting the better of the Mack trade as the Raiders pick (from the Bears for Mack) looks to be at the back end of the first round.

BTW, many posters were critical of Pace's draft picks but so far he has been on the money IMO with his picks in the NFL draft with some really good players picked after the first round.

Reactions: Cross Bones
Totally agree Corey: The Bears are definitely ahead of schedule in the progression from a bad team to a good team. Adding Mack helped the defense to become one of the best in the NFL. I believe that in Nagy's system Trubisky will only get better and better as he has all the tools to be a very good QB.

Listening to the Bear press conferences shows me Nagy know his stuff for such a young coach. A nice playoff run this year would be something to see but in all honesty, it looks like the Bears are a year or two away from making a long run to the super bowl.

It will be very interesting to see what position will be at the top of the Bears list in the next NFL draft. It seems to me that GM Pace is definitely getting the better of the Mack trade as the Raiders pick (from the Bears for Mack) looks to be at the back end of the first round.

BTW, many posters were critical of Pace's draft picks but so far he has been on the money IMO with his picks in the NFL draft with some really good players picked after the first round.

Yup
Love it. The Bears are in a good place and it exciting for us fans.
Da Bears!

Ok, they proved me wrong last night. They are more than mediocre. Still worried about that offense though.

Ok, they proved me wrong last night. They are more than mediocre. Still worried about that offense though.

Point made. I too am concerned about the offense but what I learned last night is Nagy and his staff know how to put together a game plan. If Mitch was even halfway decent they probably shut that team out last night.

Funny thing is, he wasn’t the worst QB on the field last night. It’s a good day to be a Bears fan.

If Kevin White had panned out this team is in Superbowl contention.

They are in Superbowl contention without him. They just pounded the best team in the NFC. While not the favorite in the NFC, they are definitely in contention to get to the Superbowl

They are in Superbowl contention without him. They just pounded the best team in the NFC. While not the favorite in the NFC, they are definitely in contention to get to the Superbowl
Come on man, I wouldn't say they "pounded" them. The defense was outstanding...true. But something else that no one has mentioned is that last night was only the second time Goff played a game when the temp was below 32. In many of his throws the ball just didn't look right coming out of his hand and I think the cold had a lot to do with that. Some guys who are used to warm weather do struggle in the cold.

I am happy the Bears won, but if they win the division and the first game of the playoffs they are either going down to New Orleans or out west to LA. And I don't think they will win in either place.

I also think Trubisky's shoulder is more tender than people know. Very poor performance by him. But a win is a win.

The Bear's defense was dominate on a national TV stage last night. Where are all the naysayers from the beginning of the year. I thought the Bears would be decent to good this year, basically because they had top 10 defense last year, and thought they would go 10-6. Now that 10-6 record would be a disappointment!

Trubisky even though this is his second year in the NFL, last year he was utilized as a game manager and IMO that stifled his development passing the ball. This year he has a lot of more talent around him in a totally different offense. He was definitely off last night passing after a two game hiatus, but some credit has to go to the Ram's defense which is pretty good. IMO he will be just fine going forward.

Howard and Cohen ran the hell out of the ball which was definitely something I wanted to see in this game. Offensive line made some big holes for the RB's to run through at times and protected Trubisky very well. Mack also played better than Donald in this game. The cold weather IMO is a wash as both QB's had to play in the same weather regardless of the temperatures.

Reactions: CGsupporter
Come on man, I wouldn't say they "pounded" them. The defense was outstanding...true. But something else that no one has mentioned is that last night was only the second time Goff played a game when the temp was below 32. In many of his throws the ball just didn't look right coming out of his hand and I think the cold had a lot to do with that. Some guys who are used to warm weather do struggle in the cold.

I am happy the Bears won, but if they win the division and the first game of the playoffs they are either going down to New Orleans or out west to LA. And I don't think they will win in either place.

I also think Trubisky's shoulder is more tender than people know. Very poor performance by him. But a win is a win.

They took an offense that averages well over 30 points a game and shut it down. It’s onky the third time they’ve been held under 20 and the first time they have scored a TD since McVey took over 3 years ago.

Offensively the Bears averaged more than 4 yards a carry and outgained the Rams 194-57.

Spin it however you wish but they beat that team down last night. Goff was bad and the vaunted Rams d-line couldn’t stop a Bears ground game that’s been terrible this season so far.

Reactions: Cat Box and Gene K.
@Gene K. I don't think people were mad at Pace's picks, just that he gave up stuff he didn't have to and could've probably gotten Cohen without using a pick. But at least the guys are performing.

Bears are definitely ahead of schedule, but with that said you have to strike while the iron is hot... Remember a couple years ago the Panthers looked like a team on the cusp. Now look at them.

Bones: I don't remember them giving up a pick for Cohen but if they did it was a small price to pay for a top athlete who is modest and a team player. The kid is a game changer who I and a lot of other fans love to see with the ball.

Your right about striking while the iron is hot but this is a very young team with a ton of athletic potential going forward. That was one of the reasons I was jumping ahead of this season to guess where the biggest need for the Bears will be in the next draft.

Seems to me to be offensive line at this point but this Bears team seems to have a lot of depth. Like that kid Daniels who for a rookie is playing very well on the O-line and LB Smith is also showing a lot of potential. GM Pace after giving up two picks for Trubisky took a lot of grief from fans, but looking at the overall talent he has gotten the Bears both in the draft, free agent signings and thru trades has shown he has the wherewithal to be the best GM the Bears have had since the 1980's.

Reactions: cocacoaler
People were upset about giving up picks to move up one slot to get Mitchell Trubisky.

No this game is getting out of hand and the rams are coming to town. Daniel is a game manager who is not managing the game.

Hey Refref01
How them Rams looking now? The Bears defense managed the game. Get on this train and quit worrying about the game Manager not managing the game. Leave that to Nagy he seems to be doing just fine. I love the fake to D-Line RB only to pass to OL receiver. The coach has a creative mind that won’t be stopped.
Go Bears!!

Well Corey, I will be surprised if they win Sunday. That is why I am picking the Rams on my card this week. The thought crossed my mind to pick the Giants Sunday, but I said "Nah!." Sometimes that first instinct....

The division title looks good right now. I am picking the Seahawks to beat the Vikings in Seattle next Monday night. But, if the Bears lose to the Rams this Sunday and the Vikings beat the Seahawks, I think the Vikings will end up winning the division.

If those two things happen Sunday, remember what I said.

Hey HTHS,
Just saying

Your a nut case and just can’t be a true Bears fan. They are not mediocre, they will make the playoffs. I wouldn’t be surprised if they win Sunday. This will be the best defense the Rams have faced. A true Bears fan would understand that they were not even expected to be where they are this year.
Mediocre my a#s.

They got played by SF in that draft. Should be interesting to watch the Bears play them soon.
Boy is this a tired comment. If you think Trubisky is bad, just say that Pace overvalued him, but he did not get played by the 49ers.

Boy is this a tired comment. If you think Trubisky is bad, just say that Pace overvalued him, but he did not get played by the 49ers.

I’m actually still optimistic that Trubisky will be better than average. He’s learning and growing. I think he will be fine. Time will tell.

But yeah Pace got played like a violin to trade up one spot to get the same guy he probably could have gotten 1 pick later. They gave up 4 picks for 1. #3, 67, 111 and a 3rd rounder in 2018...to move up one spot and you still had Maholmes and Watson on the board. The 49ers gave Pace the idea they were fielding multiple offers for the second overall pick and led him to believe Trubisky was the target so he gave up the farm to get his guy. If that’s not getting played, I’ve got some prime beachfront property to sell you in North Dakota.

I’m actually still optimistic that Trubisky will be better than average. He’s learning and growing. I think he will be fine. Time will tell.

But yeah Pace got played like a violin to trade up one spot to get the same guy he probably could have gotten 1 pick later. They gave up 4 picks for 1. #3, 67, 111 and a 3rd rounder in 2018...to move up one spot and you still had Maholmes and Watson on the board. The 49ers gave Pace the idea they were fielding multiple offers for the second overall pick and led him to believe Trubisky was the target so he gave up the farm to get his guy. If that’s not getting played, I’ve got some prime beachfront property to sell you in North Dakota.
The 49ers used the #3 pick for Solomon Thomas (4 career sacks) and used the fourth round pick to move up to draft Reuben Foster (no longer on the team). The third round pick they traded to New Orleans, and the Saints took Alvin Kamara.

So to recap the trade: the 49ers got a defensive lineman that has vastly underperformed, a linebacker they cut after his second domestic violence accusation, and they missed out on Alvin Kamara. The Bears got the guy they identified as their franchise QB.

Yes, they bought big on Trubisky, but when you identify your guy, don’t you do everything in your power to get that guy?

Hey HTHS,
Just saying

Your a nut case and just can’t be a true Bears fan. They are not mediocre, they will make the playoffs. I wouldn’t be surprised if they win Sunday. This will be the best defense the Rams have faced. A true Bears fan would understand that they were not even expected to be where they are this year.
Mediocre my a#s.
Corey, You need to re-read my post and tell me exactly where I said they are mediocre? Maybe you have had too much egg nog. :) Why is it whenever someone tries to be objective with this team you either call them a nut job or not a "true" Bears fan?

I agree this is the best defense the Rams have seen. But what I said really has nothing to do with the defense. The offense is suspect and Trubisky is not a championship QB...yet. That is the truth. In another post I said I didn't think the Bears would beat New Orleans or the Rams on the road in the playoffs and I stand by that. That doesn't make me a crappy Bears fan. If they want to beat either of those teams on the road they will have to score more than 15 points. I hope I am wrong and they do beat either of those teams.

And don't look past the game this Sunday either. Green Bay will bring all they have and it could be very physical.

You need to stop taking this so personal. Trust me, I like the Bears and I am as much a fan of that team as anyone on this board, including you. Have a great day!

The 49ers used the #3 pick for Solomon Thomas (4 career sacks) and used the fourth round pick to move up to draft Reuben Foster (no longer on the team). The third round pick they traded to New Orleans, and the Saints took Alvin Kamara.

So to recap the trade: the 49ers got a defensive lineman that has vastly underperformed, a linebacker they cut after his second domestic violence accusation, and they missed out on Alvin Kamara. The Bears got the guy they identified as their franchise QB.

Yes, they bought big on Trubisky, but when you identify your guy, don’t you do everything in your power to get that guy?
No. Do you pay $1000 for something you just as easily could get for $100?

Reactions: markmacaluso
They took an offense that averages well over 30 points a game and shut it down. It’s onky the third time they’ve been held under 20 and the first time they have scored a TD since McVey took over 3 years ago.

Offensively the Bears averaged more than 4 yards a carry and outgained the Rams 194-57.

Spin it however you wish but they beat that team down last night. Goff was bad and the vaunted Rams d-line couldn’t stop a Bears ground game that’s been terrible this season so far.
Read the paper today. Nagy said the passing game wasn't working which is why they went to the running game. Running the ball as much as they did really wasn't in the initial game plan. It's always good to see what the actual people involved have to say about the game.

I did say the defense was outstanding. But a beat down includes a score of 30-6 too. The offense had the ball on the Ram's 4 first and goal and settled for a field goal. The defense set that short drive up and scored a safety. I give the defense a ton of credit.

I also said the weather had an effect on Goff too. I will say it again. If the Bears have to play LA in the playoffs out there Goff will have good weather and LA will win that game.

Then take one of the other QBs which would have been still on the board that we're highly rated.
Did you settle on your wife?

Pace identified his guy, and did everything he could to get his guy. How anyone can fault him for that, I’ll truly never understand. Plenty of different ways to find fault in what Pace has done, but this ain’t one, IMO.

Pace identified his guy, and did everything he could to get his guy. How anyone can fault him for that, I’ll truly never understand. Plenty of different ways to find fault in what Pace has done, but this ain’t one, IMO.

There's a difference between QB's and wives. I assume there is no wifing combine where prospective wives go through a series of tests to determine which may be the best? But I did like the analogy.

The price was made artificially high especially with similar QBs on the board. Bears got fleeced on that one.

There's a difference between QB's and wives. I assume there is no wifing combine where prospective wives go through a series of tests to determine which may be the best? But I did like the analogy.

The price was made artificially high especially with similar QBs on the board. Bears got fleeced on that one.
Then we’ll agree to disagree.

While I agree that SF didn't end up getting much value for those picks, I think that speaks more to their bad decision making and squandering the golden opportunity given to them by the Bears being overzealous in their pursuit of Mitch. Hindsight is 20/20. Those picks could have turned out great too and no one had any way of knowing that for sure back in April of 2017. Give SF credit for creating a sense of urgency and playing on the Pace's fear that his guy would be gone if he didn't move up. If we play the fantasy GM game, would you have made the same trade if you were in Pace's shoes? I'm pretty sure most people would say no to that.

Just to be clear, I am not down on Mitch and I think he has potential to be a good starting QB in this league. This season has definitely shown

Also, FWIW, the fourth round pick they traded to move up for Foster was a safety. The next pick? Eddie Jackson.

Again, you are using what you know today to justify decisions made in April of 2017. Hindsight argument.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...-trubisky-draft-trade-20180503-story,amp.html

Apologies for not quoting the actual part of it (as I’m on my phone), but included in here are two links where John Lynch has said they had multiple offers for the #2. So, no, you may not have gotten him for $100

And maybe John Lynch also has some North Dakota beachfront property for sale. Of course he's going to say that. It would take me hours to post every link to every article back in 2017 that agreed with my point.

Holy crap we found some common ground here Bones!

Love the Wife Combine idea. We need that and ratings would be huge. Followed by the Wife Draft.

Nothing wrong with identifying your guy and aggressively pursuing him but that doesn't mean you disregard logic and reasoning. These guys are merely prospects during the draft that have POTENTIAL. You take some calculated risks and you must also carefully consider the impact of what you may be giving away. I'm guessing that the list of draft busts has to be equal to or greater than the list of booms.

Last edited:
Basically the argument is we could have Trubisky (or Watson) AND additional picks to assist Trubisky (or Watson).

If they win the SB as is, it doesn't make the choice better, but it will make it a non-factor

Read the paper today. Nagy said the passing game wasn't working which is why they went to the running game. Running the ball as much as they did really wasn't in the initial game plan. It's always good to see what the actual people involved have to say about the game.

I did say the defense was outstanding. But a beat down includes a score of 30-6 too. The offense had the ball on the Ram's 4 first and goal and settled for a field goal. The defense set that short drive up and scored a safety. I give the defense a ton of credit.

I also said the weather had an effect on Goff too. I will say it again. If the Bears have to play LA in the playoffs out there Goff will have good weather and LA will win that game.

well hold on. how does the weather only affect one qb's throws? if you look at the game, one qb was low on all of his throws and the other was high.
simply put, one thought the ball was a little heavier feeling and was over compensating for and the other was throwing normally and falling short.
but, I do agree with you as far as they should have been running the ball more often especially on the 4. but stupid penalties pushed them back.
but, for any team to beat either the saints or the rams. they need to game plan exactly as the bears did. and ALL NIGHT continue to execute that game plan.
so yes, it was a BEAT DOWN of the number 1 offense in the league.
and it was a continued domination of their defensive line by the bears oline.
the bears controlled both lines of scrimmage ALL NIGHT LONG.

so let me guess. does the weather help gurly's oline block and open holes?
does the weather help rams defensive line make sacks and hurries? how about just make reads, they were simply out of place most of the night, from linemen to linebackers not filling gaps or making the right reads.
does the weather in la change very rapidly?
because in jan it will be 45-55degrees and could drop. so if he is used to playing 70degree temps, he is not going to be very good. the only place its going to be 65-70degs, is the dome.

Corey, You need to re-read my post and tell me exactly where I said they are mediocre? Maybe you have had too much egg nog. :) Why is it whenever someone tries to be objective with this team you either call them a nut job or not a "true" Bears fan?
He just copy and pasted his response to someone else in another thread

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT