ADVERTISEMENT

What school has the longest playoff drought, and will it continue this year?

mullin17

Jul 2, 2001
What school has the longest playoff drought, and will it continue this year?

Not sure if they hold the current streak but ill go with Maine East.
They have been in existence for over 100 years and have not made the playoffs in atleast 40 years that I know of.

Morton (East) has never qualified for the playoffs. The closest they have come was in 1985 when they won 6 games.

Not sure if they hold the current streak but ill go with Maine East.
They have been in existence for over 100 years and have not made the playoffs in at least 40 years that I know of.

Maine East made the playoffs once..in 1977..so it's been exactly 40 years this year. They went 9-0 in the regular season but ran into St Laurence and their triple option that they hadn't seen at all and lost 35-0 in the opening round. That's it.

The 1978 team was supposed to be even better, as they had 13 starters returning from the 9-1 '77 team. The Sun-Times actually ranked them #1 in Class 5A and the Tribune had them #3 and I think it went to their heads. They lost their opening game to Waukegan West 33-0 and wound up 6-3..which back then meant you were out of the playoffs as only the conference champs went to the playoffs.

Under today's system, Maine East probably would have made the playoffs in '75(7-2), '76(6-3), '77(9-1), '78(6-3) and '83(5-4). That '83 team was, sadly, the last team at Maine East to have a winning record. There were a couple of 4-5 years in the early 2000's but otherwise it's been bleak. Nowadays the student body is so diverse(some insane amount, like 60% of the students, take ESL) so there aren't a lot of kids with football experience coming in. Fantastic school academically as a lot of those kids are children of doctors of foreign descent, but it does not make for a good future athletically...it may be another 40 years before they make it again.

Last edited:
I remember that Morton West team beating Gordon Tech in OT!!! 8 to 7 but then St Rita(which had not stud running back for T-Ridge got hurt would have likely beat the Stangs) got them in round 2.

Any # of CPS teams such as Kennedy & Kelly have not made it.Kelly had a pretty decent team years back that beat Fox Lake Grant but under the goofy CPS rules was in a conference ineligible but state playoffs.1997 I think.

I would have to guess that Maine East would be the school with the longest playoff drought with having a playoff appearance in their history. I work in the Maine Township area and the athletic pools aren't awfully deep for all sports.

Morton (East) has never qualified for the playoffs. The closest they have come was in 1985 when they won 6 games.
Weren't they close a few years back? Either 4-5 or missed it on points?

Maine East made the playoffs once..in 1977..so it's been exactly 40 years this year. They went 9-0 in the regular season but ran into St Laurence and their triple option that they hadn't seen at all and lost 35-0 in the opening round. That's it.

The 1978 team was supposed to be even better, as they had 13 starters returning from the 9-1 '77 team. The Sun-Times actually ranked them #1 in Class 5A and the Tribune had them #3 and I think it went to their heads. They lost their opening game to Waukegan West 33-0 and wound up 6-3..which back then meant you were out of the playoffs as only the conference champs went to the playoffs.

Under today's system, Maine East probably would have made the playoffs in '75(7-2), '76(6-3), '77(9-1), '78(6-3) and '83(5-4). That '83 team was, sadly, the last team at Maine East to have a winning record. There were a couple of 4-5 years in the early 2000's but otherwise it's been bleak. Nowadays the student body is so diverse(some insane amount, like 60% of the students, take ESL) so their isn't alot of kids there with football experience coming in. Fantastic school academically as alot of those kids are children of doctors of foreign descent, but it does not make for a good future athletically...it may be another 40 years before they make it again.
As children of docs and other professionals, you may never see the subsequent generations on the Field due to concussion fears.

Reactions: kpjasion
A lot of these schools on this list should go see Bishop Am At - Loyola for inspiration. Hopefully it's a game.

East Aurora , not since 1985. Only 3 wins in last 5 years? So much for old pros working their magical touch....LOL...

East Aurora , not since 1985. Only 3 wins in last 5 years? So much for old pros working their magical touch....LOL...

Due to the issues that Coach Becker has to deal with on a daily basis with the kids, community, social economic realities, and administration winning 3 games in five years is a major miracle at East Aurora. Most coaches would not win a single game there. What Becker is doing at EA cannot be measured in wins and losses

Reactions: i011763
All of the coaches prior to him won as many or more games, in less time, had many more numbers for the program, and above all were professional educators, and conducted themselves in such a manner.
At some point the smoke and mirrors will have to come to an end there. Past coaches there worked together, football, basketball and track, all in one common cause for the kids. Look closer.... good luck to coach Jeffries, a class act.

All of the coaches prior to him won as many or more games, in less time, had many more numbers for the program, and above all were professional educators, and conducted themselves in such a manner.
At some point the smoke and mirrors will have to come to an end there. Past coaches there worked together, football, basketball and track, all in one common cause for the kids. Look closer.... good luck to coach Jeffries, a class act.

In the previous 12 years before he got there the program record was 6-102 and was stuck in a 39 game losing streak when he took over. He has gone 3-33 in 4 years but your saying there has been no improvement? The numbers may be down but they are down at powerhouse programs too, your post comes across as bitter.

Sound like you have an axe to grind wiht a very good coach and a great leader of men

I agree with Clownbaby...39 game loosing streak before he go there and a winning percentage of .083 as compared to about .004 over 12 years before he got there. Sounds like a 100% improvement compared to the last 12 years

Perhaps if you knew the inside situation you would change your tune

No one cares about the football team more than an alumni like Curt Becker

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT