ADVERTISEMENT

What do you miss the most?

eagles2k3

Dec 26, 2003
As we sit here with the most amazing weather it reminds me of my favorite season even more.

My 9 year old’s team would be preparing for the playoffs in the bgyfl, and my favorite high school teams would be winding down the end of the regular season.

What I miss the most is: the band walking out the team. The drum line rocking the beat and the fans getting excited, the student section jumping up and down... can’t wait to see that again one day.

I miss the games and the atmosphere for sure. Second the band comment too. But glad Edgy has allowed the political discussion to take place as that's the reality we are in when it comes to our sport being allowed back. It's dominating the stories of why/why not/when/when not it can be played and rightfully so.

I miss Feeto's Upset Special
I miss Jawar's purse fights with the JCA folks
I miss PJJP and UMHoss77 playing and winning the King's Challenge
I even miss HHS talking about bitcoin rather than all the politics on the board.(never thought I'd miss HHS)
I miss reading about some high school kid that I've never heard of having an unbelievable season or game.
I miss Sparty Jones challenging us with some obscure Sporkle quiz to check our knowledge.
I miss Soucie's playoff predictions which would have started by now.
I miss Sako's Bar and all of the other creative posts on the board.
I miss watching my son and his friends run onto the field every Saturday afternoon.

sakos bar is a member of the edgy hall of fame posts. I also remember “The Deanfather”, that was a classic!

I don't know what I miss more - the social interaction of a Friday night experience or the game itself?

Everything...even the things I never thought I’d miss, I miss.

Having spent years following, watching and even writing a little about High School football before I had kids involved, to coaching my own kid in youth football and then watching those kids I've coached succeed on the field as high school football players, I think the thing I miss the most (which I never even knew happened prior to my son's soph year) is when the Oswego football team runs over to the band after a home win and they dance while the band plays.

The other night, it was pretty chilly and I'm thinking I should go get a sweatshirt or jacket out of the trunk of my car...started chuckling to myself when I realized that, unlike a normal year, I don't have the stash of sweatshirts, jackets, blankets and other gear dominating my trunk for sitting in the cold for hours on end...the purple set for Panther/Wildcat games and the orange set for Illini... 🏈 ⛄

And sitting in the bleachers with other parents who I otherwise would not likely have much contact with otherwise...catching up about the kids...

Reactions: rocketnation
Although not quite yet upon us, the night playoff pairings would have been announced is going to represent a huge void. Not much can match that special anticipation and excitement upon release.

Reactions: eagles2k3
I miss picking up my kid from school, then heading to pick up my dad. We then pick the best game in the south burbs. We drive out talking football and hoops. We find our spot and all of us grab a coke and hotdog. Maybe popcorn pending the school. Side note: best popcorn in the south burbs is a 3 way tie between LWE, Thornton, and Brook. And popcorn taste should a top 3 criteria for all ADs. We watch the game while my dad calls all his budddies explains how the Lincoln-Way are the best teams and Providence is scared to play them. It’s a great hearing it. Been the same way for 30 years. We leave and talk hoops and football some more. Get home and the wife is happy to have had a solid night alone watching “This is ya” on demand. Sets up a nice Saturday!

Although it’s been a long time ago I miss seeing my sons right after the game ends. Give them a big hug and tell them they played great. It’s special as a parent to see your kids on the playing on field and then seeing them enjoying the time right afterwards with their friends.
That's exactly what I'm missing right now. My daughter is also cheerleader and this would be the last year she would be on the sidelines at the same time my son is on the field. Can't bring those memories back (I know before someone types it, you can't bring back people from the dead either).

I miss speculating on how a team would beat another team when they struggled to beat a team they should have easily beat.

And this was going to be the year of the Spartan

I’ve missed talking to my kids about the upcoming games I’ve missed hearing the talk about the wins, the losses. They are both juniors this year. While my son has been working out like a fiend, my daughter tried a new sport. We couldn’t even see her compete! And taking tennis is not like talking football 😋.
Hopefully we will get back to our normal in the spring. Hopefully

Reactions: McCaravan
I miss the opportunity of telling you about ESL being in the Top Five of USA Today after starting the year unbeaten against two national powers.

Lol
Yes and I miss telling you that they are not LWE and you would have your eyes opened if they played! Hahaha
All kidding a side I get what your saying. Your a class act 90. I miss the actual games from all over and seeing how the all do weekly.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
I will echo pretty much everything everyone has written here regarding football. Sometimes I miss going to my sons' games. I liked talking to them during the week of games and how practice was going. I also liked talking to them post game, even when the result wasn't what they wanted. But that was long before this pandemic.

I can't put myself in the place of parents with kids currently playing. I can't walk a mile in their shoes. I can only say how I would feel as a parent if my sons and daughters were impacted by this. I have to say, I would be infuriated with all of this, especially when I see kids in other states playing. I would be enraged at the selfish people making these decisions, who don't give a damn about these kids and the impact these decisions are having.

Maybe these kids will play in the spring. Maybe they won't. But if these seniors lose their last season, it's criminal in my mind. It is something they will talk about for the rest of their lives. They will eventually have conversations with people who aren't even born yet...their kids. They aren't going to forget it one way or the other.

But at this point, what I really miss more than anything is pretty simple. Peace of mind. I want to get up in the morning and go anywhere I want without a restriction of some kind here, or another restriction of another kind over there. I know I am not alone when I say that. I want to clear my mind of "supplies" I need to bring with me when I leave the house, either on business or not.

I miss the fact that people can't come together and be on the same page with one goal when it comes to getting past this. Remember 09/11/2001? For at least a couple weeks we all came together with one goal. Getting back to normal, although changes occurred. We all knew the culprits and wanted them to pay for what they did. But, that all changed 10+ years ago and continues today. We all know who the original culprits are now too. They aren't from here. Yet too many people don't want to hold them accountable. The division is sickening and I don't see an end to it any time soon. It just seems to continue to grow. We were never on the same page with this.

There are more things I miss but I'll stop now.

Last edited:
I miss the smell of the concession stand, the feel of the cool air watching a great sunset, hearing the band or music over the speakers, watching a student sing a solo national anthem, meeting new people in both stands talking about their teams, the pregame warm-up and traditions, watching two legendary head coaches meeting in the middle of the field during pregame, the sound of the hitting, watching new talent playing on the varsity teams, the fans cheering for their teams, the life lessons of picking yourself up and start over again after your down, the tough situational calls by the coaches and feeling relaxed on a Friday night after a week of work giving it my all and watching my favorite game of football.

I miss watching the kickoff teams getting hyped up as Sandstorm plays on the PA system.

I miss that little bit of uncertainty before the first kickoff about how the game will go.

I miss seeing the former players my son looked up to as a young JFL kid coming back for the big games. Some have younger brothers who now play. Others just want to continue to support the team.

I miss standing with the same group of football Dads on the hill at home games, making predictions and each of us having their own rituals/good luck charms.

I miss the road trips, particularly the playoffs when you go somewhere for the first time. When Rochester played Herrin in the semi’s in 2014, we got there an hour before kick off and couldn’t get closer than a 1/2 mile to the stadium. The whole town was already in their seats.

I miss hearing the buzz about the JFL kid or Freshman who is supposed to be the next big time player.

I miss spending way too much time watching highlights on Sports Radio 1450 of all the area weekend games.

I miss watching the perfectly executed trick play.

I miss seeing opposing players give each other a respectful tap on the helmet after a big hit.

I miss seeing all 22 players getting up ok after a play.

I miss Playoff Pairings Saturday and the first look at the bracket.

I miss knowing in advance my Friday night plans from late August thru November.

I forgot I like playing Saturday morning QB about my team that if we did this then that outcome would be different on the Edgy board.

I miss checking back on the predictions to see what games everybody got right.

I miss watching film of certain teams and players.

I miss checking the scoreboard Friday night's for possible upsets.

I miss seeing the flyover at Marmion Academy.

I miss sandbaging predictions during playoff time (Did I just say that?)

This will tell my age but I miss the Tim Weigel helicopter landing at various games throughout Friday night.

Last edited:
Reactions: rocketnation
I miss the excitement getting out of bed
Friday brings knowing your team has a big game tonight.

I miss hearing people doubt my boys and them stepping up and out performing expectations. This is supposed to be year that we leap into the Kenwood/Taft/Morgan Park level. We are now the best team on the Westside of Chicago, now its time to become one of the best in the city and should make it to 3rd rd of the state playoffs

So I miss all of this. The Friday night lights, Thursday night arguments over what team was better, Saturday reflections of the game, all of it.
i miss seeing people’s faces and reactions when the teams are playing good, the groans and heartbreak when underperforming.
i miss shitty popcorn, watery hot chocolate, and greasy ass pizza.
I miss reading the internet blogs to see how the kids that trained with my boy are doing in their season.
I just miss football in Illinois.
You guys aren’t the only ones, Juco is closed too.

I miss how every year one of my friends wrongly chooses Coal City to win it all.
I miss The Who’s better, JCA or Provi this year.

So what’s a guy got to do to see a game in Illinois nowadays?

~Mike~

Reactions: McCaravan
So I reach out by phone to a former college roommate tonight who I have not talked to in months. He answers from the stands at a HS football game in Conway, Arkansas. Man, that hurt. He was stunned by the extent of restrictions up here. The team he was supporting had 2 games cancelled, but are soldiering on through 6 that have been contested. The public high schools, statewide I believe, go all students in-person M-Th with remote on Fridays after starting the school year 5 days a week in-person.

ADVERTISEMENT