ADVERTISEMENT

What did we learn week 4 ?!?!?!?

LakeCtyNewt

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2002
Pretty entertaining week this week. Still as wide open a year as I can recall.

1 - That we likely won't know for another week but for now Warren at 3-1 looks legit.

2 - That Metamora is 0-4 and that doesn't seem right.

3 - That Maine South showed it has a defense - at least for one week.

4 - That Peoria has yet to find a defense.

5 - That HF is doing HF things again - can we fast fwd to HF/LWE?

6 - That the gap between Naz and Marist and the rest of the ESCC is getting wider each week

7 - That the MSL East race could be fun with BG, RM and a one loss Hersey.

8 - That Crete-Monee may have just scored again on Bloom.

9 - That Grayslake Central earned back-to-back wins for the first time in nearly a decade.

10 - That the battle of Naperville is looming as large as it's been in years.

Those are my thoughts on to week 5.

Last edited:
The gulf is vast between the top of the 13-team SWSC conference, namely HF and LWE, and the rest of the league. We will find out if this is really true this Friday, however, if East slaps down LWC like HF did to the 'Brook to set up the big showdown on 9/29. I suspect Central has the full attention of LWE, though, given the former's relatively unconventional schemes on both sides of the ball.

De La Salle has the biggest high school offensive line I've seen... Ever.

#70 Caldwell 6'6, 290
#67 White 6'5, 340
#73 Rivera 6'2, 310
#75 Coffey 6'4, 290
#72 Boehm 6'3, 290

Line average weight = 304 lbs.

Big and slow, Naz's DL absolute dominated them.
☝️What he said...also not so sure Plainfield Central gets to six wins? They have the best of the conference yet to play- they have a must win this week with Minooka to have a shot

Woody6, LWC looks pretty good right now....

While I am super pleased LWC is getting back to their glory days, I expect LWE to make this a running clock game. Central has played some really weak teams and are not on the same level as East. The West game was tight and if not for some bad decisions and a shanked punt, that game could have easily gone the other way.

Edgy was right about Luke Mertens. Sure he has talent on this LZ team, but he has them playing very well together. Most impressed with the offense. They have sputtered at times, but when they are playing well, they look like a really good spread offense with a good scheme. You can never tell whether it is going to be a run or pass, keeps teams off balance. Nice job.

Defense? Same old Lake Zurich defense. Fast, good tackling, and they play well together.

Look out Stevenson this year. (Although every time I have said that in past years Stevie somehow manages to beat them in the last drive of the game . . . Not this year though . . .)

Reactions: Gene K.
LZ doesn't have to be great offensively because their defense is historically so good. If LZ's defense is as good as advertised,...

Before LZ plays Stevenson they do have a road contest in Gurnee Friday. Think I saw that on the ole sked

Before LZ plays Stevenson they do have a road contest in Gurnee Friday. Think I saw that on the ole sked

LZ has talent, Mertins is the OC, but they ran a similar offense last year (Stutsman and the O-line were better last year. the Defense is solid as always. The have been scoring a ton this year on defense.My problem with LZ, is none of these kids were punished (Athletic Code) for the hazing incident last season. It is funny that the media(Daily Herald) forgot what happen at LZ last year. Did these kids learn anything from the incident?

Just my thoughts.

LZ has talent, Mertins is the OC, but they ran a similar offense last year (Stutsman and the O-line were better last year. the Defense is solid as always. The have been scoring a ton this year on defense.My problem with LZ, is none of these kids were punished (Athletic Code) for the hazing incident last season. It is funny that the media(Daily Herald) forgot what happen at LZ last year. Did these kids learn anything from the incident?

Just my thoughts.

None of us forgot trust me. Unfortunately no one at LZ will comment on whether sanctions were passed on or not. Its possible sanctions were administered to the kids involved but no one will talk about it or comment on the record. Mainly because these kids are minors.

None of us forgot trust me. Unfortunately no one at LZ will comment on whether sanctions were passed on or not. Its possible sanctions were administered to the kids involved but no one will talk about it or comment on the record. Mainly because these kids are minors.

No kids missed any games for their actions, that is a fact. I'm from LZ and I do know what sanctions were given (Nothing).

I have an understanding of the hazing from what I've seen posted here and elsewhere.

But I don't necessarily think any students should be punished...

Throw the f-ing book at any adults that let it happen, especially if they had any knowledge of it or should have been able to prevent it. But 15-18 year old kids should be dependent on the adults in charge to make sure this can't/doesn't happen.

And if the adults screw up and have consequences, the kids/community need to know about it!

I have an understanding of the hazing from what I've seen posted here and elsewhere.

Throw the f-ing book at any adults that let it happen, especially if they had any knowledge of it or should have been able to prevent it. But 15-18 year old kids should be dependent on the adults in charge to make sure this can't/doesn't happen.
10000% wrong. Kids need to be disciplined for their actions. Especially in this disgusting case.

What! Kids should not be held responsible for their decisions? ..that statement in itself is part of the problem. I hope Edgy drops this whole line just to keep ignorant statements like that from having to be read by others!

I still believe the adults bear the responsibility... but I'm interested in hearing other opinions.

We don't know for sure what was done internally, but evidently no one missed any games.

What punishment would be appropriate for H.S. kids? And how do you punish those most involved/responsible without identifying them/f'ing up their lives forever?

My assumption is that with the proper environment//adult supervision this would have never happened, and those kids involved are not sexual deviants that should be locked up. But I'm not sure how you tell the difference. I'm a dad and I assume that 99% are like my kids and their friends.

I still believe the adults bear the responsibility... but I'm interested in hearing other opinions.

We don't know for sure what was done internally, but evidently no one missed any games.

What punishment would be appropriate for H.S. kids? And how do you punish those most involved/responsible without identifying them/f'ing up their lives forever?

My assumption is that with the proper environment//adult supervision this would have never happened, and those kids involved are not sexual deviants that should be locked up. But I'm not sure how you tell the difference. I'm a dad and I assume that 99% are like my kids and their friends.

If you have a 16 year old urinating on a teammate or putting their genitals on a teammates face and you don't feel they should be disciplined, you are right, we do have a parenting problem.

Yea that should be a good game, although in the past years when it looked like Warren was coming around . . . . they did not quite live up to the hype. But we'll see. They look like a pretty good team so far. I bet the Warren offense has not had to contend with players Sanborn and Stutzman roaming around on defense. Anybody watch Sanborn play this year? It is like fishing with dynamite . . . it is not even fair. Best linebacker I have ever seen in high school, period.

I can tell you what would happen if I found out my kid participated or witnessed something like the LZ scenario whether he was caught or not. His footballing days would be over after I wore his ass out. If my kid were a victim of such, I'd most likely be writing this from incarceration.

Playing this game is a privilege not a right. When you have completely disrespected the privilege tell me why you should still be allowed to participate?

When these kids are old enough to drive, they get the privilege to do so. If they are supposedly responsible enough to drive a vehicle capable of killing others should they make a stupid split second decision, WHY would you give them a pass for making such an incredibly stupid premeditated decision.

IMO... this is EXACTLY the kind of mentality killing our youths understanding of responsibility, and the idiot adults that condone this behavior by doing nothing meaningful about it.

Suspend them all... cancel the season so they can answer for it to the innocent people affected.

Oh wait... do nothing

If it were MS kids involved, there are those on this board who would absolutely go nuts calling for jobs, suspensions, writing letters to IHSA to try and do anything they could to condemn everything MS.

Sorry Newt... didn't mean to hijack. I wasn't really familiar with the issue and it kinda got me amped.
My apologies.

Last edited:
Closed conference. All they need is 5 wins.

Plainfield Central has 3 wins and SHOULD get to 4 wins assuming the beat Romeoville (0-4). In order to get to 5 wins and a playoff birth they will have to beat one of Oswego, Oswego East, Minooka, or Joliet West.

Minooka (3-1)- coming off an impressive road victory at Plainfield North. Should be a very tough game to win down in Minooka.

Oswego East (homecoming) (4-0)- Currently in first place in the SPC having not played the top 4 teams in the conference. We will see how legit OE is after they play PN this week. Homecoming game should give the Wildcats some extra juice. This game should be much closer than some expect.

Joliet West (2-2)- Had high expectations entering the year but have had a disappointing start to the season. This is the game Central needs to win. Could very likely be a swing game for both schools. Winner gets to 5-4 and makes the round of 32.

Oswego (3-1)- Have only lost 2 conference games (both to PN) in the past 6 years. Would be a major upset if Central could pull this one off.

Plainfield Central has 3 wins and SHOULD get to 4 wins assuming the beat Romeoville (0-4). In order to get to 5 wins and a playoff birth they will have to beat one of Oswego, Oswego East, Minooka, or Joliet West.

Minooka (3-1)- coming off an impressive road victory at Plainfield North. Should be a very tough game to win down in Minooka.

Oswego East (homecoming) (4-0)- Currently in first place in the SPC having not played the top 4 teams in the conference. We will see how legit OE is after they play PN this week. Homecoming game should give the Wildcats some extra juice. This game should be much closer than some expect.

Joliet West (2-2)- Had high expectations entering the year but have had a disappointing start to the season. This is the game Central needs to win. Could very likely be a swing game for both schools. Winner gets to 5-4 and makes the round of 32.

Oswego (3-1)- Have only lost 2 conference games (both to PN) in the past 6 years. Would be a major upset if Central could pull this one off.
Having seen Joliet West and Oswego East in person, they can definitely pull this off.

I can tell you what would happen if I found out my kid participated or witnessed something like the LZ scenario whether he was caught or not. His footballing days would be over after I wore his ass out. If my kid were a victim of such, I'd most likely be writing this from incarceration.

Playing this game is a privilege not a right. When you have completely disrespected the privilege tell me why you should still be allowed to participate?

When these kids are old enough to drive, they get the privilege to do so. If they are supposedly responsible enough to drive a vehicle capable of killing others should they make a stupid split second decision, WHY would you give them a pass for making such an incredibly stupid premeditated decision.

IMO... this is EXACTLY the kind of mentality killing our youths understanding of responsibility, and the idiot adults that condone this behavior by doing nothing meaningful about it.

Suspend them all... cancel the season so they can answer for it to the innocent people affected.

Oh wait... do nothing

If it were MS kids involved, there are those on this board who would absolutely go nuts calling for jobs, suspensions, writing letters to IHSA to try and do anything they could to condemn everything MS.

Sorry Newt... didn't mean to hijack. I wasn't really familiar with the issue and it kinda got me amped.
My apologies.
Preach brother preach! I think we are all amped after reading the statements of the Valley Crest High Dads club..."Don't punish my Johnny, he doesn't know any better!" The boys whose parents are preaching that garbage to them at home are in for a rude awakening once the sheltered bubble life pops.....I'm still amped up! Sorry also Newt--last post I promise in response to that crap #MovingOn

Reactions: PRokie
While I am super pleased LWC is getting back to their glory days, I expect LWE to make this a running clock game. Central has played some really weak teams and are not on the same level as East. The West game was tight and if not for some bad decisions and a shanked punt, that game could have easily gone the other way.
Its going to a playoff type game in that it will be standing room only. I expect most of the Lincoln Way community to be there. Other than that, it will not be a running clock but pretty close to it.
I am thinking maybe 4-6 personal fouls from LWC (they had 5 vs LWW) with one ejection. The emotions in this game will be through the roof! GO BLUE!

That CPS is a HUGE mess minus a handful of schools.Even some of the Illini Schools are forfeiting now.Oakland City Indiana Wood Memorial Football did the same thing a few years ago as LZ did.No season last year.No JV no nothing.Only 6 games this year.

daryl:

You may have a grasp on hazing, but you obviously can not make a distinction between hazing and sexual assault. Shoving a broomstick into the rectum of a 14 or 15 year old does not constitute hazing in the least.

To not punish students involved in this matter would be a staggering error and would be viewed as absolution by those students involved who remain in the school. Given the gravity of this incident, one which had purportedly occurred for a period exceeding a decade, a reasonable punishment would have been to prohibit those involved from any extra-curricular activities (athletics included) for the duration of their high school experience.

Schools have stringent policies in place to combat alcohol and drug use among the student population. A compassionate response to students who use drugs or alcohol is proactive and does not initially infringe on athletics, but rather uses athletics and other extra-curricular activities as leverage. It's a wise policy. However, the excesses at Lake Zurich merit tougher sanctions. If there was just one stiff spine among the administration at Lake Zurich, no student involved in this crime would be competing in athletics or involved in other extra-curricular activities.

Anyone want to bet me there is a LZ football player involved in this wicked deed wearing the Bear uniform this year?

I will gamble my household income right now there is.

For all the pious sermonizing from our public institutions, there has been very little information seeping out from Lake Zurich High School in the wake of this nauseating episode. Buzzwords, "transparency" and "accountability" are both curiously absent. Why? My inspired hunch is the district thinks it did its job by tossing an administrator out the door and forcing the retirement of the head coach.

If students went unpunished, it signals a massive institutional failure.

Its going to a playoff type game in that it will be standing room only. I expect most of the Lincoln Way community to be there. Other than that, it will not be a running clock but pretty close to it.
I am thinking maybe 4-6 personal fouls from LWC (they had 5 vs LWW) with one ejection. The emotions in this game will be through the roof! GO BLUE!
I personally saw LWE/MS & LWC/LOCKPORT and I would expect to see more outward displays of excess emotion from the latter, especially being at home. For better or worse, East appears more business-like and steady in their approach. As a IL HS Hall of Fame FB coach sometimes said, "When you are jumping up and down, you are not going forward." And a running clock? - that would be shocking IMHO, but anything is possible in HS sports, I guess.

daryl:

You may have a grasp on hazing, but you obviously can not make a distinction between hazing and sexual assault. Shoving a broomstick into the rectum of a 14 or 15 year old does not constitute hazing in the least.

To not punish students involved in this matter would be a staggering error and would be viewed as absolution by those students involved who remain in the school. Given the gravity of this incident, one which had purportedly occurred for a period exceeding a decade, a reasonable punishment would have been to prohibit those involved from any extra-curricular activities (athletics included) for the duration of their high school experience.

Schools have stringent policies in place to combat alcohol and drug use among the student population. A compassionate response to students who use drugs or alcohol is proactive and does not initially infringe on athletics, but rather uses athletics and other extra-curricular activities as leverage. It's a wise policy. However, the excesses at Lake Zurich merit tougher sanctions. If there was just one stiff spine among the administration at Lake Zurich, no student involved in this crime would be competing in athletics or involved in other extra-curricular activities.

Anyone want to bet me there is a LZ football player involved in this wicked deed wearing the Bear uniform this year?

For all the pious sermonizing from our public institutions, there has been very little information seeping out from Lake Zurich High School in the wake of this nauseating episode. Buzzwords, "transparency" and "accountability" are both curiously absent. Why? My inspired hunch is the district thinks it did its job by tossing an administrator out the door and forcing the retirement of the head coach.

Not to mention... what if this involved females.
Since we now live in a world where there seems to be less distinction between the two, one would think they should be treated the same. As I recall, and I may be wrong... aggravated sexual assault is a felony.

Reactions: Gene K.
daryl:

I came online just now to apologize to Newt for the thread derailment (sorry Newt!), AND to say that I should not have posted what I did in the first place. I did not have enough info to make the statements I did, and I apologize to everyone that spent time responding to me.

What a mess.

I personally saw LWE/MS & LWC/LOCKPORT and I would expect to see more outward displays of excess emotion from the latter, especially being at home. For better or worse, East appears more business-like and steady in their approach. As a IL HS Hall of Fame FB coach sometimes said, "When you are jumping up and down, you are not going forward." And a running clock? - that would be shocking IMHO, but anything is possible in HS sports, I guess.
I don't know about LWE having a running clock...but the chances are greater it could happen now that Wylie is no longer involved. Yes...even football was impacted by the dictator in the past. LWE historically does not run up scores.

Nice break down! I'm rooting for them to make it...what a turnaround and that coach has done a great job! I have a few kids that played with my son whose are still close with the families....great story indeed! If I was in Minooka I wouldn't be too comfortable- thanks again.

Side note - what the hell happened with the PN/Minooka game...wonder if they overlooked them based off of the Oswego thumping of Minooka.

Side note - what the hell happened with the PN/Minooka game...wonder if they overlooked them based off of the Oswego thumping of Minooka.

I was at the game. PN was up 14-0 less than 6 minutes into the game. However, they lost their star DE and TE after he was blind-sided on a crossing route and was taken to the ER. Minooka slowly gained some momentum and had two huge pass plays for touchdowns/near touchdowns. They scored with less than a minute left and went for 2 and the win. Give credit to Minooka for playing a great game. They seemed very well coached.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT