ADVERTISEMENT

What did we learn week 2??!!??!!

LakeCtyNewt

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2002
Kind of an interesting start to the season. Upsets seem to be the norm instead of the rarity.

1 - That the crown was uneasy for a couple of defending champs in Maine South and ESL.
2 - That a great story is developing in the N. Burbs. Round Lake is 2-0 for the first time since the early 2000's.
3 - That Lake Zurich has returned to its dominant form.
4 - That Lake Park is for real at 2-0.
5 - That Loyola is still Loyola.
6 - That the CCL Blue race should be as good as ever - no dominant team emerging yet.
7 - That sometimes rankings are just rank - New Trier wasn't one of the 15 best teams in the state.
8 - That Cps football is a mess and the ihsa needs to co-op or something to get it righted.
9 - That its still cool to watch former HS studs perform at the next level - Cobbs, Lees, Dudek, Isaac to name a few.
10 - That very quietly, Lyons is looking like one of the top contenders in 8A.

Week 3 coming up!

It is going to take a damn good team to bring down LWE:
  • high % of kickoffs into endzone along with excellent FG range
  • DL able to control the run & pressure the pass without having to assign extra 2nd level players into the box & conduct too many stunts
  • former successful RB at QB establishing an outstanding run resume off keepers and scoring scramble scampers
  • although not a classic throwing motion, an ability to get the rock where it needs to be to give the receivers a chance
  • a hard-nosed downhill RB able to pound and consequently set-up play-action pass with the OL to create push and creases
  • a gifted skill athlete able to threaten as a WR or quick-to-perimeter ball-carrier
  • sound, solid with minimal turnovers and penalties with the depth to replace players not doing their job
  • seemingly even-keeled emotionally even on a big stage
Feel free to add to this list.

Reactions: jcrewx7
Watched the 1st half of LWE/MS. Was really impressed with the D-line. LWE is always very sound defensively. This looks like one of their better, more talented D-lines. They contained the run and pressured the QB.

Heard about the soph. Henning's track accomplishments. He looks like one heckuva of a weapon already on the varsity level. Really liked the QB too. Very athletic.

MS' QB looks like he's in mid-season form. Amazing this is only his second start. FK was contained, but #6 had a big game. The Hawks are very good.

I thought I was watching the two best teams in the state (at least at the moment) in the game. Might have been Round 1 of 2.

Reactions: jcrewx7
Wilmington has their work cut out for them to keep their consecutive playoff streak alive.

Wilmington has their work cut out for them to keep their consecutive playoff streak alive.

Easy games over Seneca, Westmont and Reed Custer

Likely losses to Peotone and Coal City

Win one of Lisle or Sandwich, they will be fine..

The digital red LED down marker (I never saw one until Maine South Friday) could be the greatest development since sliced bread! At $400-$500 apiece, however, a chain gang member on the box must need to be extremely agile.

Kind of an interesting start to the season. Upsets seem to be the norm instead of the rarity.

1 - That the crown was uneasy for a couple of defending champs in Maine South and ESL.
2 - That a great story is developing in the N. Burbs. Round Lake is 2-0 for the first time since the early 2000's.
3 - That Lake Zurich has returned to its dominant form.
4 - That Lake Park is for real at 2-0.
5 - That Loyola is still Loyola.
6 - That the CCL Blue race should be as good as ever - no dominant team emerging yet.
7 - That sometimes rankings are just rank - New Trier wasn't one of the 15 best teams in the state.
8 - That Cps football is a mess and the ihsa needs to co-op or something to get it righted.
9 - That its still cool to watch former HS studs perform at the next level - Cobbs, Lees, Dudek, Isaac to name a few.
10 - That very quietly, Lyons is looking like one of the top contenders in 8A.

Week 3 coming up!

Thanks Newt and love to hear #10.

What their game against Hinsdale South showed me is that they are just very explosive. They really struggled with them for a quarter and a half 0-0, and about 60 seconds after I turned to my dad and said they are "explosive" and I wouldn't be surprised to see fireworks at any moment, and next thing I knew it was 31-0 and the starters were pulled.

I also learned from that game a lot about their back 7. LT was so touted for their QB and their trenches on both sides of the wall before the season -- and rightfully so -- but those two units really struggled in the first half but the back 7 looked great. The really controlled Destin Talbert and kept him out of the end zone, even had a pick 6, and their 2 junior CBs have 5 INT's in two games so far.

Thanks Newt and love to hear #10.

What their game against Hinsdale South showed me is that they are just very explosive. They really struggled with them for a quarter and a half 0-0, and about 60 seconds after I turned to my dad and said they are "explosive" and I wouldn't be surprised to see fireworks at any moment, and next thing I knew it was 31-0 and the starters were pulled.

I also learned from that game a lot about their back 7. LT was so touted for their QB and their trenches on both sides of the wall before the season -- and rightfully so -- but those two units really struggled in the first half but the back 7 looked great. The really controlled Destin Talbert and kept him out of the end zone, even had a pick 6, and their 2 junior CBs have 5 INT's in two games so far.

Their kicker has been coming up with some nice catches.

The digital red LED down marker (I never saw one until Maine South Friday) could be the greatest development since sliced bread! At $400-$500 apiece, however, a chain gang member on the box must need to be extremely agile.
Lol. I said the same thing when we got them!

#11. That LWE is indeed a very good team but their fans are classless. From the minute #41 came onto his home field, the LWE fans began heckling him with chants of "OVERATED". They resumed that chorus several more times during the game whenever he got the ball.
Yes, you traveled all the way from Frankfort and yes you paid for your seat...so you technically have the right to scream and act like an idiot at a high school football game. BUT that doesn't mean you should. These are still kids after all. And whether they are on your team or not, show a modicum of restraint and resist the urge to jeer and heckle high school kids who are giving it everything they've got.
Your team is giving you plenty of things to cheer about...there's no need to be berating 17 year olds.

Reactions: Gene K.
#11. That LWE is indeed a very good team but their fans are classless. From the minute #41 came onto his home field, the LWE fans began heckling him with chants of "OVERATED". They resumed that chorus several more times during the game whenever he got the ball.
Yes, you traveled all the way from Frankfort and yes you paid for your seat...so you technically have the right to scream and act like an idiot at a high school football game. BUT that doesn't mean you should. These are still kids after all. And whether they are on your team or not, show a modicum of restraint and resist the urge to jeer and heckle high school kids who are giving it everything they've got.
Your team is giving you plenty of things to cheer about...there's no need to be berating 17 year olds.
I totally get what you're saying here. I felt the same way when your entire crowd boo'd our guys when they entered the stadium. I also felt the same way when 4 open Gatorade bottles came flying up from behind the stands and sprayed our crowd. Our student section was so classless. My apologies.

#13. That whenever someone posts, "I just hope we can compete" facetiously, it never ends well

jcrew
I was there when the teams came in and I don't remember booing or hearing anyone around me booing. It was more like "meh...where are these guys from again?" and "where the f*ck is Frankfort??". Don't flatter yourself.
As for the Gatorade shower: I'll apologize on behalf of our less than polite fans...but perhaps they felt they were assisting you and providing something to ease your hoarse throats caused by grown men screaming obscenities at teenagers. Student section? They looked very middle aged & their voices really carried from all parts of the visitor stands.
Just own it and move on. Best of luck. See you in November.

#14 That the LWE will win the Big10 and the SEC according to their faithful.

Good Luck to the boys... they have a great team and great coaches!

Reactions: emdee91 and jcrewx7
jcrew
I was there when the teams came in and I don't remember booing or hearing anyone around me booing. It was more like "meh...where are these guys from again?" and "where the f*ck is Frankfort??". Don't flatter yourself.
As for the Gatorade shower: I'll apologize on behalf of our less than polite fans...but perhaps they felt they were assisting you and providing something to ease your hoarse throats caused by grown men screaming obscenities at teenagers. Student section? They looked very middle aged & their voices really carried from all parts of the visitor stands.
They still can't get over losing last year, on their home field.

As I recall we met a certain spirited foe last year in week 2, only to have the opportunity to avenge it for the title.

Reactions: Bowie50
jcrew
Is that a tear in the corner of your avatar eye?

Okie...I do believe that game also had a very small point differential. And I know losing that game burned & stung the MS squad all season...and that they couldn't wait to face that team again. If it's possible to have a 'good' loss...it definitely was.

To the LWE fans...revel in your well deserved #1 ranking. May you keep it and reign all season long. I'm reminded of that ol' axiom "#2 tries harder..."

It will make it that much sweeter when someone knocks you off of that very high horse. Just ask those that like to Ramble what a #1 regular season ranking means when you're holding a 2nd place trophy on the Friday after Thanksgiving.
#novemberiscoming

Reactions: PRokie
Okie...I do believe that game also had a very small point differential. And I know losing that game burned & stung the MS squad all season...and that they couldn't wait to face that team again. If it's possible to have a 'good' loss...it definitely was.

To the LWE fans...revel in your well deserved #1 ranking. May you keep it and reign all season long. I'm reminded of that ol' axiom "#2 tries harder..."

It will make it that much sweeter when someone knocks you off of that very high horse. Just ask those that like to Ramble what a #1 regular season ranking means when you're holding a 2nd place trophy on the Friday after Thanksgiving.
#novemberiscoming
#cleverhashtag

Reactions: PRokie
Is that a tear in the corner of your avatar eye?
Yes...yes it is. I just get so choked up & emotional when I think about the glory of the Griffin football program and their 150 man roster. Oh there I go again...told myself I wasn't gonna do this.

Yes...yes it is. I just get so choked up & emotional when I think about the glory of the Griffin football program and their 150 man roster. Oh there I go again...told myself I wasn't gonna do this.
Please try and answer in order. Us southsiders confuse very easily.
Playoff quality play + playoff quality atmosphere = playoff level smack talk.
Can do...after all this is what these boards are for. This is the fun part!
hawk-cry-415.jpg

Let them enjoy their well deserved win. We have nothing to gripe about. We lost that game.

I have no issue with their students... and am embarrassed if in fact some stupid idiots threw Gatorade.

Too early in the season for us to get caught up in the never ending desire for those to have a moment of glory before Swagger High takes them down.

Let's move on...

Seriously... a MS fan calling someone else classless...where have you been for the last 20 years!

Seriously... a MS fan calling someone else classless...where have you been for the last 20 years!
SEE...that's what I'm talking about! A guy who joined 7 years ago but has only posted 3 messages felt inspired to dust off his keyboard, stringing together an approximation of a sentence & joining in the conversation!!
I almost don't want to sully this big moment for him with a snarky response, but oh what the hell...

I wasn't there 20 years ago, sir. I've already expressed sincere remorse for the horrible & shocking "Rain of Gatorade" incident that so traumatized the good folk of Frankfort. Now I'm to be an apologist for 20+ years of MS swagger?? Nay kind sir. I must say nay. Occasional dickish MS fan behavior aside...I have witnessed no heckling of players in my 4 years of watching our beloved & majestic Hawks fly boldly through the IHSA!

search

Reactions: Bowie50 and PRokie
MS4 ROCKS!!!!

Keep the positive MOJO rolling at Dee and Tallcot!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT