ADVERTISEMENT

What did we learn week 1?!?!?

LakeCtyNewt

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2002
My view is different but my opinions still stink.

Here is the kickoff edition for 2017.

1 - That apparently a 42-point lead is not safe anymore.
2 - That for one week Lz put their abhorrent off field behavior behind them.
3 - That as far as statements go Naperville Central and Lake Park made big ones week 1.
4 - that Maine South made a statement too by Maine Southing again.
5 - That Ray Niro when healthy makes Barrington dangerous
6 - That the CCL looks like there is no clear cut fav for now.
7 - That PR has a really good defense and so does CG.
8 - That I can't remember Round Lake starting 1-0 but they are.
9 - That Phillips is the real deal whether Loyola was short players or not.
10 - That seeing your kid get his first interception is one of the best memories ever.

On to week 2

Great thread as always Newt! Congrats to your boy on his INT.

That Swagger High has its eye on the DSR!

11. PC continues to be the most confusing player is the state.
12. JCA has a coach set to continue the program's legacy
13. Awesome newt - love to hear it.
14. It was great to meet the Captain of the board - thanks for heading out to see JCA.

Reactions: capnbillhitters

3 - That as far as statements go Naperville Central and Lake Park made big ones week 1.
10 - That seeing your kid get his first interception is one of the best memories ever.

On to week 2
Is Loyola ever short players? how many = Short? Phillps put in the work no taking that from them.

15. JCHill didn't even contact/text me when he was at Glenbard West.....someone's status here just took a major hit....unlike Bones who's just skyrocketed.

Reactions: RockSoup
It was great hangin with JCHill watching a renewed JCA and Bones for the Maine Southing at Duchon.

Also - Strength of will (or lack thereof) is hard to measure in the preseason but becomes apparent when you play Swagger High

Reactions: Cross Bones

On to week 2

I'm giving this a triple thumbs up because I saw my son got his first INT also and it was amazing. Happiest I've ever seen the kid in his entire life.

16.That 4 teams dropping football & at least 5 forfeits in week 1 don't look good.And for the teams scheduling these guys who forfeit, stop doing it.Play a Hubbard,Simeon or whoever that will show up and not cost you $$$$ by having no game or play someone from NW Indiana or Wisconsin

Reactions: CPSFan
16.That 4 teams dropping football & at least 5 forfeits in week 1 don't look good.And for the teams scheduling these guys who forfeit, stop doing it.Play a Hubbard,Simeon or whoever that will show up and not cost you $$$$ by having no game or play someone from NW Indiana or Wisconsin

Couldn't agree more. What is Fenwick and Naz doing putting them on the schedule anyway. Make some calls and play some competitive teams. What a joke

On to week 2
Number 10 - Very cool.

I learned DO NOT sleep on Oswego. Was at the game. If they beat North, could see them running the table.

Reactions: pancakechamp51
You play at home you want a Soph game then a A and B game.I was looking at the schedule of a school who played a team in week 1 with no Soph squad.So then their Soph team had to play away also but at another school and Saturday morning their A team played away at 1 school and B squad at yet another school.This week the same scenario is going to happen.It used to be when teams played each other for a good matchup.Now it's like who can we play so we get the 5 or 6 wins to get in?

Couldn't agree more. What is Fenwick and Naz doing putting them on the schedule anyway. Make some calls and play some competitive teams. What a joke
7 miles only 7 separate Naz & Fenwick.2 great teams.What a game it would have been and I'm sure drawn a very good gate

Reactions: FalconPadre
11. PC continues to be the most confusing player is the state.
12. JCA has a coach set to continue the program's legacy
13. Awesome newt - love to hear it.
14. It was great to meet the Captain of the board - thanks for heading out to see JCA.

As for #12
While I'm not disagreeing, that's where you are going after a 34-27 win over Geneva??

Reactions: FalconPadre
As for #12
While I'm not disagreeing, that's where you are going after a 34-27 win over Geneva??
In all fairness, the final score is a little misleading. JC led 34-7 with 7 mins to go in the game. After a 1-8 season, the Hilltopper faithful are just happy to get off on the right foot the year!

Reactions: MS4EVER
In all fairness, the final score is a little misleading. JC led 34-7 with 7 mins to go in the game. After a 1-8 season, the Hilltopper faithful are just happy to get off on the right foot the year!
No doubt.

I would just add: Geneva is coming off a 3-6 year, but they are a perennial 7A qualifier and a quality program. Also, I read where their sophs won conference last year. Not bad...in a conference that includes Batavia and the two St. Charles' teams. I'm guessing they are similar to JCA in that they have a strong Jr. class. It was a nice opening win for the Hilltoppers and Coach Jaws.

Reactions: Gene K.
As for #12

absolutely. JCA dominated the game. When you are up 30 with 7 minutes left and a team gets 2 onside kicks in a row...scores tighten up. From a first glimpse perspective, this JCA team is as good as any of the teams from 2008 onward (last year excluded).

This JCA is exactly why the success factor is loody in HS, things can turn on a dime.

BTW, I'm not sure how the QB at Geneva's stats ended up, I think they were good, not great, but this kid can play.

absolutely. JCA dominated the game. When you are up 30 with 7 minutes left and a team gets 2 onside kicks in a row...scores tighten up. From a first glimpse perspective, this JCA team is as good as any of the teams from 2008 onward (last year excluded).

This JCA is exactly why the success factor is loody in HS, things can turn on a dime.

BTW, I'm not sure how the QB at Geneva's stats ended up, I think they were good, not great, but this kid can play.
Looking forward to JCA - Phillips semis.

Reactions: Gene K.

As good as 2008 onward. really?
While there were no state championships in there, much due to a certain team in Lombard, there were some pretty good teams during that time.
Time will tell. 5A has been so decimated with teams moving up that you may not have to be very good to be playing late in October.

While there were no state championships in there, much due to a certain team in Lombard, there were some pretty good teams during that time.
Time will tell. 5A has been so decimated with teams moving up that you may not have to be very good to be playing late in October.
I would say JCA has a chance to be very good offensively and on a par with many of those post 2008 teams. Defense is where the major questions remain.

Then they should be a prohibitive favorite to win this year's 5A!
What about Phillips? I'd say there is your prohibitive 5A favorite.

Let's see if the Hilltoppers can get to 5 wins. Their schedule is very tough for a 5A team.

I was impressed with JCA's defense who took a couple of series to get their footing but then created havoc until the final couple of drives when they stayed on the field far too long for a Week 1 game. Three straight series and those guys were gassed.

I agree with JChill, the Geneva QB looked like a young Ben Bryant. We heard the kid was a soph which made sense because he looks like he has some filling out to do. Kid showed some poise during the comeback in the 4th quarter. After some rough drives in the middle quarters, many would have slumped to ignominious finish, but that kid kept slinging.

Fox Valley is going to have another great year.
PR, Cary, Huntley, Jacobs, and McHenry all look like they can-will make some noise post season.

17. That CPS football is still scraping the bottom unfortunately. Despite the huge win by Phillips, only 2 other CPS teams won vs non-cps opponents. (Westinghouse/Guerin & Curie/Bremen). The biggest shocker was the way that Hillcrest absolutely manhandled Morgan Park 52-0, with their size and the athletes I feel MP should have performed much better.

Had the Zebras not swollowed their whistles when they thought the game was over at 34-7, it may have remained a lopsided score. My guess is they felt it a was a no harm, no foul situation.

Plea to Officials, call the game as the rules are written until the final gun as that is what you signed up to do.

Reactions: USD24

yeah, really, It's funny how 1 year out of 30 can change perspectives. There were a lot of things that caused 2016 to be what it was.

18. That Aurora Christian could make a deep run as a class 2A team if they can only get out of the CCL with a 6-3 or 5-4 record and enough playoff points. This may be the best team from a sub-250 student enrollment school in the state.

I was impressed with JCA's defense who took a couple of series to get their footing but then created havoc until the final couple of drives when they stayed on the field far too long for a Week 1 game. Three straight series and those guys were gassed.

I agree with JChill, the Geneva QB looked like a young Ben Bryant. We heard the kid was a soph which made sense because he looks like he has some filling out to do. Kid showed some poise during the comeback in the 4th quarter. After some rough drives in the middle quarters, many would have slumped to ignominious finish, but that kid kept slinging.

Geneva QB is a senior. Sophomore QB broke his arm in offseason.

20. That Playboymixx posting more gives the forum another strong source from the Lou

So basically injuries, cramps, suspended players and poor tackling explain all the losses this week. On to week 2!

Nope. JC lines were huge compared to Geneva. About 90lbs difference on both fronts-average. JC was stronger. Could have had more TD's, but connections on wide open passing plays weren't made. JC defense was gassed in the 4th and the same poor guy kept bobbling the onside kick.

That being said a bunch of people said the QB was a sophomore. Wouldn't have made a difference who played QB.

Last edited:

Three good quarters and suddenly this team is as good as any JCA team from 2008 thru 2015. Complete nonsense. No chance. This team is not, and will not, be as good as the teams in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2015. For God's sake the 2013 team lost 2 games all year, both by 1 point. Just a completely ignorant post that has no basis in reality.

Three good quarters and suddenly this team is as good as any JCA team from 2008 thru 2015. Complete nonsense. No chance. This team is not, and will not, be as good as the teams in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2015. For God's sake the 2013 team lost 2 games all year, both by 1 point. Just a completely ignorant post that has no basis in reality.

This team will be very good. And the only ignorant post was yours. No one is saying they are the best team to ever walk the halls of the hill. However the point you are missing as after a tough 1-8 season the fans the team and the alumni are excited. So with that said yea all ok here are excited. They play a to This tough schedule. However this team so far is up to the task.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT