ADVERTISEMENT

Week 9 ICE Predictions

Coalertown44

Nov 5, 2014
Last week we had CC over Wilmo, Peotone over Lisle, Manteno over Streator and Herscher over RC.

Reed Custer (1-7) @ Coal City (8-0): Coalers coming off their 29-14 win over rival Wilmington. CC grabs the first ever ICE Conference title. RC dropped one to Herscher last Friday. Coal City should jump on RC often and early and will be able to get some key players some rest before the post season. RC will end the season at the bottom of the conference but it seems they have some pretty good underclassmen Coalers 46 Comets 0

Streator (2-6) @ Lisle (4-4):
Lisle lost a close important game last week to Peotone and Streator got whipped up on by Manteno. Lisle needs this one to get in and it looks like Streator has packed it in for the year. Lions 27 Bulldogs 13

Herscher (3-5) @ Manteno (4-4):
Herscher gets a big win over RC and Manteno keeps rolling by beating Lisle. Manteno is playing really good right now. Herscher has got a few good wins late in the season. Manteno will keep rolling but Herscher will keep it interesting Panthers 35 Tigers 21

Peotone (6-2) @ Wilmington (7-1):
Hands down the game of the week. Wilmo is coming off a loss to the Coalers and Peotone squeezed one out with Lisle. Not sure if Peotone has their running back healthy yet, if they do this will be a very close match up. Wilmington needs this one for seeding purposes and does not want to head in to the playoffs with a two game losing streak. Wilmo moved the ball a bit on the Coalers but couldnt put together good scoring drives. Peotone will need to get creative to get points. I like Wilmington in a bounce back win here. Wildcats 27 Blue Devils 20

The end of the regular season, but still a lot to play for in the ICE first season...

Reed Custer @ Coal City...the neighbors have had very different seasons...Comets are playing out the string. Coalers are looking for a #1 seed in 4A. Coalers got the stress test last week, should be able to take it easy this week. Comets get smashed apart by the pickax early...Coalers huge.

Streator @ Lisle... Lions have gone 2-4 in conference, need the win to make the playoffs. Bulldogs seem to have packed it in. If Lisle's QB is healthy, don't expect this to be close. If he isn't, Lions in a tight one...

Herscher @ Manteno... The Panthers are 4-2 in conference after a rough non-con schedule. Tigers have finally found some traction. Panthers need the win to make the playoffs, while the Tigers would enjoy ending those hopes. That said, the Panthers have looked pretty good in conference. The defense is starting to pick up. Panthers smack the Tigers back into their place...

Peotone @ Wilmington... Wildcats are licking their wounds inflicted by the Coalers last week. Peotone's stud back has a bad wheel. This does not bode well for the Devils, who beat the Cats last year. Manteno shut down the Devil rushing attack before the back went down, and Wilmo's defense is much better than Manteno's. Wilmington should stick the Devils' trident into the dirt, rendering it powerless, and romp into the playoffs...

Reactions: Gene K.
Peotone’s RB didn’t play at all vs Manteno. Just an fyi. Regardless, you are correct, Manteno completely shut them down.

Peotone’s RB didn’t play at all vs Manteno. Just an fyi. Regardless, you are correct, Manteno completely shut them down.

Which back went down? Manteno Vedette version said it was Ballmer (sp?) in a walking boot, while the Journal said he had a bunch of carries...And I recalled his name being called a bunch of times...So I mixed the two, obviously one of them was wrong. Nonetheless, the Devil rushing attack is quite different without him...

Which back went down? Manteno Vedette version said it was Ballmer (sp?) in a walking boot, while the Journal said he had a bunch of carries...And I recalled his name being called a bunch of times...So I mixed the two, obviously one of them was wrong. Nonetheless, the Devil rushing attack is quite different without him...

Yeah he didn't play vs. Manteno. No idea how they thought he did.

I really wanted to see a healthy Peotone and healthy Wilmington team go at it. I think Wilmington is healthy but it doesn't sound like Peotone will have the Balmer kid back this weekend

I really wanted to see a healthy Peotone and healthy Wilmington team go at it. I think Wilmington is healthy but it doesn't sound like Peotone will have the Balmer kid back this weekend

I think Wilmo handles them pretty easy based on what I saw when they played Herscher.. Peotone really struggled to move the ball on the ground against Herscher, broke the game open on a few broken coverage passes... much closer I thought than the score indicated.. Herscher-Wilmo was never really a game..

Soucie has Wilmo and Byron meeting up once again in the Quarters

That's good, seems like usually we gotta play them in round 2. Heard they had injuries early in the year but are getting healthy now.

Last edited:
That's good, usually we gotta play them in round 2. Heard they had injuries early in the year but are getting healthy now.
I heard when they got beat by Stillman Valley they had a few key guys out. Seems like those two match up quite a bit over the last 10 years

I heard when they got beat by Stillman Valley they had a few key guys out. Seems like those two match up quite a bit over the last 10 years

I looked back. Guess it hasn't been that often, just seemed that way. They played 4 out of 5 years from 2012 to 2016. Twice in the 2nd round, once in the 1st and once in the semifinals. Wilmington 3-1 against them.

I looked back. Guess it hasn't been that often, just seemed that way. They played 4 out of 5 years from 2012 to 2016. Twice in the 2nd round, once in the 1st and once in the semifinals. Wilmington 3-1 against them.

That’s still pretty often. Considering how random it really is.

Reactions: doctor_d
Calpreps projections

Reed-Custer (Braidwood, IL) at Coal City (IL), 7:00pm [projection: Coal City (IL) 62-0]
Streator (IL) at Lisle (IL), 7:00pm [projection: Lisle (IL) 31-12]
Herscher (IL) at Manteno (IL), 7:00pm [projection: Manteno (IL) 35-19]
Peotone (IL) at Wilmington (IL), 7:00pm [projection: Wilmington (IL) 31-17]

Calpreps projections

Reed-Custer (Braidwood, IL) at Coal City (IL), 7:00pm [projection: Coal City (IL) 62-0]
CC won 't score 62. If they can get a good size early lead they will pull all the starters. Got guys banged up that need some rest.

CC won 't score 62. If they can get a good size early lead they will pull all the starters. Got guys banged up that need some rest.

Yeah I think so too, but R-C is young and not too good. Get a couple defensive scores and you might see something crazy. I’m going with 49-0

I saw Soucie has Byron as 2 and Wilmo as 3 in his projections. Per IHSA they both have same playoff points. Byron closed conference should get them 4 more this week with a win. Wilmington should get 3 with a win plus one from Evergreen Park. I doubt Oak Lawn will help Wilmington further.

Seems like they will probably end up tied. After that I give up. Somebody smarter and/or with more time would have to explain the projections using advanced tie breaker criteria...

I saw Soucie has Byron as 2 and Wilmo as 3 in his projections. Per IHSA they both have same playoff points. Byron closed conference should get them 4 more this week with a win. Wilmington should get 3 with a win plus one from Evergreen Park. I doubt Oak Lawn will help Wilmington further.

Seems like they will probably end up tied. After that I give up. Somebody smarter and/or with more time would have to explain the projections using advanced tie breaker criteria...

I believe wins of Defeated opponents is next......after that maybe it would be the same as determining the 256th team if there is a tiebreaker :

1. Head-to-head competition (if the teams have met)
  2. Number of teams played that qualified for the playoffs
  3. Number of wins by teams played that qualified for the playoffs
  4. Points allowed in games against teams that qualified for the playoffs
  5. Coin flip

Calpreps projections

If Herscher can stay within that range with a 4A playoff team, bodes well for next season.. the young kids have shown a lot of improvement from the first few games..

Now reading the Herald News Soucie prediction capsules he’s got Peotone winning.

I’d have to admit, that would be a little surprising.

1ST down tigers...looks like an end of game multiple handoff pitch play...several fumbles back & forth...Psnther ball.

End Q.

First play 2nd. Td pass, run fails.

18-0 Manteno

Congrats to the Lions and Panthers, looks like both will be in the playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT