ADVERTISEMENT

Updated 2/23 Football Covid rules

This was a podcast posted yesterday with Sam Knox from IHSA. Very good here, he does talk about how they don't agree with the masks for players playing the game (for many health reasons). He gives some insight on them waiting for feedback on any adjustments for that AND trying to change the 50 person spectator limit outside

Reactions: McCaravan
There just needs to be consistency. Knox addressed the wrestling comparison in the podcast. If wrestlers can go at each other for 3 minutes without a mask, why do football players on the field have to when they are having much, much less contact with other people? And frankly if we aren't requiring wrestlers to compete with a mask, why the hell are we making any other athlete do it (especially the ones outside?) Common sense....

This was a podcast posted yesterday with Sam Knox from IHSA. Very good here, he does talk about how they don't agree with the masks for players playing the game (for many health reasons). He gives some insight on them waiting for feedback on any adjustments for that AND trying to change the 50 person spectator limit outside
This spectator limit can not stand. Indoor watch gatherings of live streams as an alternative to in-person, outdoor viewing does not seem to be "following the science."

There just needs to be consistency. Knox addressed the wrestling comparison in the podcast. If wrestlers can go at each other for 3 minutes without a mask, why do football players on the field have to when they are having much, much less contact with other people? And frankly if we aren't requiring wrestlers to compete with a mask, why the hell are we making any other athlete do it (especially the ones outside?) Common sense....
OMG I was not aware about the wrestling without a mask, which is great, but then I agree making basketball players and any sport outside wear masks just doesn't make any sense. Just saying do what they say so we can play isn't right either. The World Health Organization has stated that athletes should not be wearing masks.

Reactions: mmca
I foresee a change in the attendance limits. New York is ready to start allowing fans at games starting next week, at least at the college level not sure about high school. Even a year ago it seemed like JB couldn't make a decision on his own and we were always about a week behind whatever New York did. Anyway if IDPH actually followed the data and the science that is from all over the country we wouldn't be have this conversation. It's like they want to double down because they are wrong hoping that something bad will happen to make them right, but its not going to happen.

the 50 person spectator limit outside........

Are they seeing the key word of outside????? Seriously I get the indoors but in open air 6 ft apart their should not be a limit
Six feet apart outdoors is actually unreasonable, particularly when seated with those in one's own family/social bubble. Indoors in church, family groups are even allowed to cluster. Just open up the attendance for 6 stinkin' Fridays when the weather may not actually even bring out huge throngs, especially if live streaming is in place, also. Keep the masks on and let folks cloister themselves according to their own trusted units or JUST CHOOSE NOT TO ATTEND. Students are (or should be) in close proximity to each other already inside the schools anyway.

Reactions: Cathyil21
Six feet apart outdoors is actually unreasonable, particularly when seated with those in one's own family/social bubble. Indoors in church, family groups are even allowed to cluster. Just open up the attendance for 6 stinkin' Fridays when the weather may not actually even bring out huge throngs, especially if live streaming is in place, also. Keep the masks on and let folks cloister themselves according to their own trusted units or JUST CHOOSE NOT TO ATTEND. Students are (or should be) in close proximity to each other already inside the schools anyway.
They are 6ft apart...

There are some products out there that were created due to covid that cover the mouth section of the face mask as well and are attached and integrated into helmet. If clear, are those not a substitute for cloth mask? Or is it cloth mask regardless of any shield?

Just wondering how it’s safe to have a mask over someone’s mouth and nose when said mouth has a mouth guard in it? Isn’t breathing essential?

Just wondering how it’s safe to have a mask over someone’s mouth and nose when said mouth has a mouth guard in it? Isn’t breathing essential?
The adults making these rules ought to try it out first and see how it works.

The adults making these rules ought to try it out first and see how it works.

Everyday just confirms that the only adults in the room so far during this crisis are the kids. People who are supposed to be making decisions in their best interests keep putting up more and more road blocks and what do the kids do, stay silent and play.

So we have Spring college football being played in IL today, without masks. But high school spring football in IL requires masks. Is the difference that the NCAA tells IDPH to pound sand and IHSA feels accountable to IDPH? I can support limiting fans, I can support social distancing on the sideline, even if I disagree with these ideas. Paper tigers have overrun our state and someone needs to see this for what it is. This cannot be enforced and at some point common sense needs to be consulted in these decisions-since those making these decisions have none. This is like telling a dentist office that patients must wear a face mask at all times. As Randy Moss said, "C'mon Man!"

Can someone ask JB to do his next press conf with a mask on? Perhaps that will change the perspective.....

I'm not arguing the point of whether or not kids should need to be wearing masks, but it's honestly not that much harder to breathe as you are wearing it during physical activity. It's more uncomfortable than anything else.

I know this is not feasible for every athlete, but this shields were required at a couple of events for my sons lacrosse tournaments last fall, (BTW hundreds of athletes at each one playing full contact, no reported outbreaks following a single event, also prevented insanity in our household the last 6 months). Anyway they have a football helmet version as well. Have been approved by NFHS and accredited by PPE independent research. They attached to the face mask with velcro so should meet the requirements of the one option that is approved except that it is not a cloth mask it is actually better as it is polycarbonate and a solid shield.

I know this is not feasible for every athlete, but this shields were required at a couple of events for my sons lacrosse tournaments last fall, (BTW hundreds of athletes at each one playing full contact, no reported outbreaks following a single event, also prevented insanity in our household the last 6 months). Anyway they have a football helmet version as well. Have been approved by NFHS and accredited by PPE independent research. They attached to the face mask with velcro so should meet the requirements of the one option that is approved except that it is not a cloth mask it is actually better as it is polycarbonate and a solid shield.

Way more feasible than a cloth mask which will get pushed and pulled by padding, let alone anyone who needs to pull out their mouthguard during the game, in between plays.

Agree it's way better than the cloth version. Can anyone confirm the plastic version is legal for use? The guidance posted above only shows a cloth version that attaches with velcro in the helmet. Or, is it safe to assume if NFHS approved, it's eligible?

So we have Spring college football being played in IL today, without masks. But high school spring football in IL requires masks. Is the difference that the NCAA tells IDPH to pound sand and IHSA feels accountable to IDPH?
The state has allowed different rules for the ncaa from the start. I am sure the reasons have to do with testing. Not all high schools are providing testing

Reactions: skeetz45
I'm not arguing the point of whether or not kids should need to be wearing masks, but it's honestly not that much harder to breathe as you are wearing it during physical activity. It's more uncomfortable than anything else.
I disagree. It is harder. Not impossible, but harder to take in more oxygen with a mask on than without one, especially when you are breathing heavier.

Reactions: corey90
Agree it's way better than the cloth version. Can anyone confirm the plastic version is legal for use? The guidance posted above only shows a cloth version that attaches with velcro in the helmet. Or, is it safe to assume if NFHS approved, it's eligible?
I was told by our coach plastic is Not approved

I'm surprised some inventor didn't come up with face mask/mouth guard combination. They could have struck it big. But then again who would have thought there would be a need for such an absurd thing.

Would be interested to know what insanity needs to stop.

Insanity=thinking a piece a cloth will decrease the survival rate for 0-18 year olds and below which currently stands at 99.9994% and knowing that's far better than the risks of them dying in a car accident on the way to the game. Maybe we should make them walk to the games? Oh, and the 30 other states that have already held football seasons while not requiring masks. But who cares about the actual evidence. "Perception of safety" is more critical I guess.

Last edited:
I was told by our coach plastic is Not approved
That is unfortunate, because the product I was looking at has been approved by NFHS and actually looks and fits better than the horrible masks attached to the facemasks that they provided examples of. I have referred the company to the Sports Medicine Advisory Committee. Personally I know they don't need them from experience and it's too bad that no one is willing to actually look at a reasonable compromise. Also would eliminate the whole mouth guard issue as referees could still see if the player had them in or not.

Reactions: Cathyil21

Pending IDPH approval

For those interested, can read everything that is supposed to happen and be monitored
I just don't understand the thought process on how to mask a football team and based off of the examples provided that this product doesn't address the desired need.

I'm surprised some inventor didn't come up with face mask/mouth guard combination. They could have struck it big. But then again who would have thought there would be a need for such an absurd thing.
Well, you may have come up with an idea. Now, get busy. :D

Insanity=thinking a piece a cloth will decrease the survival rate for 0-18 year olds and below which currently stands at 99.9994% and knowing that's far better than the risks of them dying in a car accident on the way to the game. Maybe we should make them walk to the games? Oh, and the 30 other states that have already held football seasons while not requiring masks. But who cares about the actual evidence. "Perception of safety" is more critical I guess.
These kids have a higher probability of dying from being struck by lightning than dying of Covid.

Heard a report yesterday that Texas is going to open up fully next week. No masks. Let's keep an eye on that and see how it goes.

And Mississippi. Lubbock public schools in Texas already came out and said they are done with the mitigations and masks. Hundreds of TX businesses though have come out said no...we aren't following the governor, you need to be masked. I bet they open 100% though to get their revenue.

Heard a report yesterday that Texas is going to open up fully next week. No masks. Let's keep an eye on that and see how it goes.
And Mississippi. Lubbock public schools in Texas already came out and said they are done with the mitigations and masks. Hundreds of TX businesses though have come out said no...we aren't following the governor, you need to be masked. I bet they open 100% though to get their revenue.
We will see how long these stand after unmonitored positive COVID cases from newly-exploding border crossings continue streaming northward.

D207 requiring students to double mask after spring break...anybody know if they will have to double mask for sports?

We will see how long these stand after unmonitored positive COVID cases from newly-exploding border crossings continue streaming northward.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's being done on purpose to get those results.

ADVERTISEMENT