ADVERTISEMENT

Update from IHSA on low risk sports etc

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Don't expect anything on any high risk sports aka Football/Basketball etc

IHSA Information As Regions Shift Back To Tier 2

Illinois Governor JB Pritzker announced on January 15, 2021, that three regions in the state (1, 2, 5) are being rolled back from Tier 3 mitigations to Tier 2 mitigations.

The announcement allows further participation opportunities for IHSA schools located in Regions that are under Tier 2 mitigations.

Below are the allowances in winter sports for IHSA schools located in Regions under Tier 2 mitigations:

WINTER SPORTS FOR SCHOOLS IN TIER 2 REGIONS
Low-Risk Sports
: Can begin practice immediately and will begin competition within their geographic region on a future date to be determined by the IHSA Board.
Medium-Risk Sports: There are currently no winter sports categorized as medium-risk.
High-Risk Sports: Team training with no physical contact may begin immediately.

Spring and Summer sports for schools located in regions under Tier 2 mitigations may begin to conduct contact days on Monday, January 25, 2021. All contact days must be conducted under the rules of the IDPH All Sports Policy based on their risk level.

Weight training may be conducted in regions under Tier 2 mitigations as along as social distancing and masks are utilized.

All IHSA athletic activities remain on pause for schools that are located in Regions that remain under Tier 3 or Tier 4 mitigations.

The Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) has released an updated version of the All Sports Policy. To view it, click here.

The IHSA’s low-risk winter sports include Badminton, Boys Swimming & Diving, Cheerleading, Dance, Boys & Girls Bowling, and Girls Gymnastics.

There are no medium-risk IHSA sports in the winter, while boys & girls basketball are the lone high-risk winter sports.

“This is certainly positive news for three regions of the state, but we still have a long way to go until we get all of our student-athletes back to being active,” said IHSA Executive Director Craig Anderson. “High school student-athletes are hurting from a mental, physical, and emotional standpoint, so we hope this is the first step toward getting that back to some normalcy.”

IDPH data on each Region and its current Tier mitigation status can be reviewed by clicking here.

The IHSA Board of Directors met on Wednesday (January 13) and are scheduled to meet again on January 27. Anderson said that he anticipates the Board will set competition start dates for low-risk winter sports prior to the January 27 meeting.

“We all need to continue to take the mitigations seriously,” said Anderson. “Wear a mask. Socially distance. We need to get these other regions to Tier 2 and cannot risk having others backslide.”

I#H#S#A

This pretty much kills football, doesn't it? Even at Tier 1, no competitive play, just intra-team scrimmages

Yes if this sticks. Have to pull the plug. Don't drag kids on. Then I guess pray for August

This pretty much kills football, doesn't it? Even at Tier 1, no competitive play, just intra-team scrimmages
We need to get out of the “Tiers” and into the “Phases” kinda like where we were at when we could have played in August! What numbers are needed for that I don’t know, but we are very close to phase 2 state wide, possibly days away...we need numbers to continue to decline and hospital beds to open and wait and see where we are in a month when practice is supposed to begin. They can at least get back in the weight room and run drills again

Do they really think kids are going to play football if they can only have intrasquad scrimmages?

Reactions: corey90
Gotta give Lurker74 props. In just 16 regular words, plus 1 hyphenated word, he was able to accurately sum up the current situation in regard to high school football.
Sadly, the focus on a football board probably should be on what needs to happen for there to be a realistic season in the fall of 2021. Right now, there are 6.5 months to go until the first of August.

Reactions: Jenny27
I was just at Valparaiso High School and they are full steam ahead for up coming season. JB needs to learn from Indiana’s Gov. Indiana played last year and they are gearing up for this season. The fat man needs to go!

Gotta give Lurker74 props. In just 16 regular words, plus 1 hyphenated word, he was able to accurately sum up the current situation in regard to high school football.
Sadly, the focus on a football board probably should be on what needs to happen for there to be a realistic season in the fall of 2021. Right now, there are 6.5 months to go until the first of August.
Sadly, I think Illinois High School football has lost my support.

Does anyone know why football is high risk and basketball medium risk. I think the IDPH needs to explain this.

Daily Herald reported yesterday (Jan. 14) that less than 1 percent of Illinois residents have been fully vaccinated. Interesting will be to see if there is a percentage of complete vaccinations that will allow high-risk sports to return to close-to-normal activity. I have not seen a number at all. Is it 10 percent? 50 percent? 100 percent? Obviously, the slaying of the dragon that is Covid-19 is the absolute correct goal. Many people seem to think the governor is out of touch and has no clue about real life in Illinois. And while when it comes to youth/prep sports, that seems to be pretty evident, the reality is he is going to be in the top chair until at least January of 2023. So right now, what I would like is to know exactly what the numbers need to be in order for "high-risk" sports to resume at a level that we all are familiar with. Is it 246 positive cases per day and a 0.0001 positivity rate? Is it high schools fully in session for 3 months? A laundry list would help. Otherwise, my wheels spin and frustrations grow.

Does anyone know why football is high risk and basketball medium risk. I think the IDPH needs to explain this.
I believe basketball is high risk as well, but I think I read that somewhere ... actually I think it was changed from medium to high risk, but again I am no expert at all in the risk factors. Someone else will definitely know, though.

Been saying this for months

And has many have pointed out...what has happened in the past 10 months that makes you think August will be better? Time to get out if that is feasible for you

Daily Herald reported yesterday (Jan. 14) that less than 1 percent of Illinois residents have been fully vaccinated. Interesting will be to see if there is a percentage of complete vaccinations that will allow high-risk sports to return to close-to-normal activity. I have not seen a number at all. Is it 10 percent? 50 percent? 100 percent? Obviously, the slaying of the dragon that is Covid-19 is the absolute correct goal. Many people seem to think the governor is out of touch and has no clue about real life in Illinois. And while when it comes to youth/prep sports, that seems to be pretty evident, the reality is he is going to be in the top chair until at least January of 2023. So right now, what I would like is to know exactly what the numbers need to be in order for "high-risk" sports to resume at a level that we all are familiar with. Is it 246 positive cases per day and a 0.0001 positivity rate? Is it high schools fully in session for 3 months? A laundry list would help. Otherwise, my wheels spin and frustrations grow.
The governor must have a percentage of vaccinated in his head before he allows contact sports. Less than 1 percent doesn’t cut it for him. It went from controlling to eradicating back to controlling and now that the vaccine is here it needs to be administered. Will enough get in line to get to his percentage? We’ll see but football continues to suffer.

everybody's been in Tier 3, and virtually everybody will drop to Tier 2 either today or within a week, according to the governor. Tier 2 for football means team training with no physical contact may begin immediately.
St. Louis region will stay in tier 3 for awhile, but the rest of the state on a good path right now

The focus needs to be on finding someone to primary him in 15 months. I wouldn't count on Fall of 21 either. Get out if you can.

Talking about this particular subject, and not having it turn political, is an exercise in futility.
I get it, but the reality is that this whole thing is wrapped up in politics. It controls hs sports...literally. You certainly can't say it's following science anymore based on the rest of the country and data. What's left is political control or incompetence. At this point focus should be on supporting mental health of these kids

The focus needs to be on finding someone to primary him in 15 months. I wouldn't count on Fall of 21 either. Get out if you can.
I think he's gone to join national administration in 22. Ambassador, any type of office.

At what point do we all quit allowing this to happen and stand up for ourselves? I was fortunate enough to travel south through KY, AL and FL a couple weeks ago. It is a different world. They are not living under any of the crazy restrictions we are in IL. And guess what? Their covid results are similar or better than ours. They go to restaurants, their kids play sports, etc and we are under martial law.

I honestly don't know what this moron is trying to achieve and what science he is following. There is absolutely NO scientific support for his tight controls and we all sit here and say, " oh let's just hope we can play in August."

I will gladly plunk down $1000 for my kid to play private football just to flip the finger at this insanity.

I fear the only solution for HS sports (even for fall coming up) is for someone to break through with the insurance solution. I don't know if that comes from providers finally caving, a state provision that changes, or whatever. But if the insurance/liability thing can get resolved then I think at that point the schools and IHSA can tell govt to pound sand and play anyways. Somehow the liability issue needs a breakthrough. For god sakes get all the resources you can from other state insurance situations and find a loophole, a new provider, anything!

Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81
This isn't about insurance. IL does not have some special insurance market that is different than other states who have played. This is about politics, teacher's unions and a governor that is on a power trip. Insurance or a lack of ability to transfer risk in this situation is not what's making IL one of four states not currently playing basketball. The same way that IL restaurants are closed and other states are wide open. It's not insurance. It's as simple as it's JB Pritzker. Sounds stupid and simple but that's the only reason.

Reactions: eireog
This isn't about insurance. IL does not have some special insurance market that is different than other states who have played. This is about politics, teacher's unions and a governor that is on a power trip. Insurance or a lack of ability to transfer risk in this situation is not what's making IL one of four states not currently playing basketball. The same way that IL restaurants are closed and other states are wide open. It's not insurance. It's as simple as it's JB Pritzker. Sounds stupid and simple but that's the only reason.
So no tort reform here in Illinois has no impact? That's not what I've been told....

Basketball is high risk according to the IDPH.They moved it to high risk right before basketball season and the election. It is the only organization to do so. Every association in the United States has it at medium risk. Even the other 3 states not playing right now. Same goes for the rest of the world including every single nation associated with FIBA. Unless, the hospital system in a given area is overrun there is no reason to shut anything down. If hospitals are being overrun in a given area then fine absolutely shut things down. Under the current circumstances school, basketball, football, everything should be as normal. I'm afraid its over for both.

IL is not the only state in the US that tries to legislatively address tort reform. The same carriers that insure schools in IL are same ones that insure schools in IN, Iowa, MI.......

It would certainly be appreciated if the coaches and ADs would speak up. Kind of hard for kids to follow and listen to their “coach speak” when they won’t take a stand publicly.

It would certainly be appreciated if the coaches and ADs would speak up. Kind of hard for kids to follow and listen to their “coach speak” when they won’t take a stand publicly.
Since the "silence has been deafening" for months and border-to-border across the state, we can conclude very real reasons exist for not wanting to stick necks out to have them chopped off.

Reactions: PowerI66
Since the "silence has been deafening" for months and border-to-border across the state, we can conclude very real reasons exist for not wanting to stick necks out to have them chopped off.
Everyone has choices, just like the restaurant owners and small businesses.

Reactions: johnndoe
Don't expect anything on any high risk sports aka Football/Basketball etc

the ADs and coaches need to grow a pair and stand up to this lunch head governor. Not all but most are resigned to the idea of no sports in the spring. Garbage!

Last edited:
Rather than lobbying for the support of ad’s and coaches, who have very little if any input, have you considered attending your local school board mtg to voice your concerns? The school board answers to you.

Rather than lobbying for the support of ad’s and coaches, who have very little if any input, have you considered attending your local school board mtg to voice your concerns? The school board answers to you.
Yes, I live across the street from one and our kids have grown up together. They know exactly how I feel. I didn’t just start advocating for the kids this week.

Reactions: McCaravan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT