ADVERTISEMENT

Unique Stadiums...

PanthersWildcats86

Oct 12, 2017
Coming from an area with lots of smaller schools, one of my favorite things to do is to visit unique gyms & stadiums. Usually the architecture of the gym (okay, an original gym) matches the building, while outdoor facilities often are jammed into unusual shapes of lots...I've seen square tracks (usually cinder), some with baseball diamonds in them, some with football/soccer. I've seen beautiful sets of stands for football fields without tracks - in communities with and without power plants. I've been to places without permanent bleachers...

But there is one layout I've only seen once. Bishop McNamara's visitors bleachers are inside the oval track....I've seen square tracks that did this, but only Mac's does it with an oval. When Manteno built their track, soccer was king - and the coach was very unhappy that he was losing his "World Cup" size field to move inside the track. (They were even madder when football started...). Despite custom designing the track to put the largest possible soccer field inside, there is no way to put bleachers inside the track...

That said, I've seen places put bleachers on the track for football, but Mac is the only with bleachers inside....Any examples of other places with the bleachers inside the track?

Duchon Field at Glenbard West. Great atmosphere and a really unique set up. Seeing players walk out of the building in full uniform and down to the field for the warm ups is what high school football should be.

Unique?

Rock Island Rocky Stadium
Eckersall Stadium Chicago
Lane Stadium Lane Tech Chicago
Mt. Carmel Illinois
Peoria City Stadium Peoria
Danville

So so many others as well.

Reactions: woody6
All.... Something else that was quite unique that I observed when SHG played Mac in a second round game in what I believe was 2006. Not sure if the track was added after that year. Anyway I walk in on the side next to the baseball field and there are several cars lined up in a row fairly close to the goal post. Fans sitting next to their autos in lawns chairs with red solo cups in hand. God bless my fellow Catholics one and all. (lol) Ratsy

Reactions: Gene K.
DLS - the El stop looking over the stadium on a Friday night is pretty cool. Also, Iggy on a Friday night with the skyline as the backdrop.

Reactions: HRCJR and Gene K.
Not a fan of the big stadiums or the cookie cutter fields where you are behind a track and a fence.

Naz and Montini are my favorites because you are so close to the field.

Reactions: Gene K.
All.... Something else that was quite unique that I observed when SHG played Mac in a second round game in what I believe was 2006. Not sure if the track was added after that year. Anyway I walk in on the side next to the baseball field and there are several cars lined up in a row fairly close to the goal post. Fans sitting next to their autos in lawns chairs with red solo cups in hand. God bless my fellow Catholics one and all. (lol) Ratsy
Also take notice next time when it's halftime and the line headed towards the bowling alley that also happens to have a bar inside as well.....

By far the coolest gym I have ever been in was the Jackson Gym in the old Brainerd Building of Libertyville High School. Sadly the wrecking ball took it a few years ago.

DLS - the El stop looking over the stadium on a Friday night is pretty cool. Also, Iggy on a Friday night with the skyline as the backdrop.
My son played football at Ignatius. Without fail, the first thing visiting fans and players did when the arrived at Ignatius' Fornelli Field was pull out their cellphones and take pictures of the skyline.

Probably not a better view in Illinois' HS football.
88239.jpg

Never been to Morris and it's 20 minutes away.....need to make that happen soon....And those flyovers are awesome......More papers should do that

And of course, I have to throw a shout to Wilmington.....the woods and whole experience are like no other. Aside from our home stadium (maybe I'm just spoiled on the atmosphere we have), I do not recall traveling to that many unique stadiums. Most of the small town schools we play at are tucked away in a subdivision or surrounded by corn fields. The two coolest I can think of that we saw in the playoffs were the Mt. Carmel Aces aka the "Snake Pit" and Carthage Illini-West. Neither of which ended well for Wilmatucky :(.

Reactions: EdgyTim
Marian Central Catholic in Woodstock, IL is considered by some (even montini fans) as high school football heaven.
1*1DIaef6ShtwwSjBqysz_8A.jpeg

Love this picture. The link has even more pictures on why it is such a great atmosphere.

I really liked the overall experience at Morris.

All.... So did I the one and only time SHG visited the Redskins. Didn't like the result that day, but enjoyed immensely the before, during, (half time) and yes after game gatherings.... in the little park directly across the street from the stadium. Ratsy

And of course, I have to throw a shout to Wilmington.....the woods and whole experience are like no other. Aside from our home stadium (maybe I'm just spoiled on the atmosphere we have), I do not recall traveling to that many unique stadiums. Most of the small town schools we play at are tucked away in a subdivision or surrounded by corn fields. The two coolest I can think of that we saw in the playoffs were the Mt. Carmel Aces aka the "Snake Pit" and Carthage Illini-West. Neither of which ended well for Wilmatucky :(.

Very fun place to officiate due to the setting and the way the team comes out of the woods. "Small town" football close to the suburbs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT