ADVERTISEMENT

Two Illinois teams on the national ranking

I love Loyola and I believe they have one of the best programs in the State of Illinois, but they are NOT a top 25 team nationally. I understand that these rankings are relatively meaningless and most likely based upon past performance. I could understand if they beat MS and went 14-0 again, but they did not. Furthermore, I believe that MS was the better squad last year...

Instread of dissecting the rankings (which we all know have plenty of holes - especially preseason). I would like to focus on and highlight the following:

There are 23 states that don't even have one team in the top 100. It's great for Illinois HS football to have two of "our" teams ranked. Great exposure - more colleges might come by the state for the kids and maybe more kids get excited about football and come out to play?

That said - I am right there with ya on the PR snub. I think there should be at least 3 IL teams ranked in the top 100 based on last year season and returIng players etc.

Last edited:
PR should be on the list ahead of flyer and rambler.
What happens when Sampson leaves? Sustained success? C'mon now JChill..I'm fairly confident that both MS and LA would have bested PR last year. Pure speculation of course. Too bad we will never know. Also, these rankings are lame.

Last edited:
What happens when Sampson leaves? Sustained success? C'mon now JChill..I'm fairly confident that both MS and LA would have bested PR last year. Pure speculation of course. Too bad we will never know. Also, these rankings are lame.

I love rankings. Without them, we don't have a lot to really discuss. You have to start somewhere.

As for last year....I'm not sure that has anything to do with this season. In fact, if last year has anything to do with this season, I'm fairly confident it helps my argument. The only thing last year can have at all anything to do with this season is the experience it provided. I'm not sure any team returns as much talented experience than PR.

In my season's final DSR i had MS ahead of PR, and PR ahead of LA.

I think PR goes 14-0 and runs the DSR rankings as the best team in the state.

Reactions: atsirabb
I love rankings. Without them, we don't have a lot to really discuss. You have to start somewhere.

As for last year....I'm not sure that has anything to do with this season. In fact, if last year has anything to do with this season, I'm fairly confident it helps my argument. The only thing last year can have at all anything to do with this season is the experience it provided. I'm not sure any team returns as much talented experience than PR.

In my season's final DSR i had MS ahead of PR, and PR ahead of LA.

I think PR goes 14-0 and runs the DSR rankings as the best team in the state.
I think that's what these preseason HS rankings are based on - last year's performance. Maybe a bit of forecasting the returning talent. Candidly, I don't think PR wins 8A last year, much less 7A. I haven't seen any team play this year.

Instread of dissecting the rankings (which we all know have plenty of holes - especially preseason). I would like to focus on and highlight the following:

There are 23 states that don't even have one team in the top 100. It's great for Illinois HS football to have two of "our" teams ranked. Great exposure - more colleges might come by the state for the kids and maybe more kids get excited about football and come out to play?

That said - I am right there with ya on the PR snub. I think there should be at least 3 IL teams ranked in the top 100 based on last year season and returIng players etc.

late 90's through mid-2000's IL would every once in awhile sneak in 3-4 teams. that was during great runs by WWS, MS, the Napervilles, and J/M/PC. Golden age?

Reactions: atsirabb
I like that there are FOUR - COUNT 'EM FOUR - teams ranked ahead of IMG.

Also, is Allen in Texas affiliated with a religious order or is it Diocesan?

I think PR has had fairly sustainable succsss. This was their second state title and they've been a playoff team virtually every year. They were also a semifinaliast a year earlier only losing in the mother of all blizzards.

Don't know what sustainable success has to do with rankings. Might want to brush up on their history a little.

If all your gonna do is compare them to Maine South and Loyola that's not much for historical relevance.

Spend $60 million on a football stadium, Allen better be good.. pretty sure their enrollment is over 5000... thats better than being Catholic!

I saw Desoto play last year, wow.. 8 D1 guys on offense

late 90's through mid-2000's IL would every once in awhile sneak in 3-4 teams. that was during great runs by WWS, MS, the Napervilles, and J/M/PC. Golden age?
late 80's and 90's I recall ETHS cracking the top 25 nationally a couple times.

I think PR has had fairly sustainable succsss. This was their second state title and they've been a playoff team virtually every year. They were also a semifinaliast a year earlier only losing in the mother of all blizzards.

Don't know what sustainable success has to do with rankings. Might want to brush up on their history a little.

If all your gonna do is compare them to Maine South and Loyola that's not much for historical relevance.
What other schools would you like to compare them to? The Caravan, PC, JC. Ok. Win as many titles as these three and no we're talking.

I think its easier to get a gauge on LA and EStL and put them in since they have played national teams over the years and will this year. LA v Amat week 2 for example.

What other schools would you like to compare them to? The Caravan, PC, JC. Ok. Win as many titles as these three and no we're talking.

So no other schools can be compared? How many titles did those schools win last year?

And PR has been a school for 15-20 seasons?

Sorry but other schools have good football programs in Illinois besides the ones you listed.

I think Montini whose won a few titles found out last year PR can play a little.

Maybe you should expand your acceptance of good football programs beyond the 3-4 you follow. Might learn something - then call me

Reactions: ClownBaby
So no other schools can be compared? How many titles did those schools win last year?

And PR has been a school for 15-20 seasons?

Sorry but other schools have good football programs in Illinois besides the ones you listed.

I think Montini whose won a few titles found out last year PR can play a little.

Maybe you should expand your acceptance of good football programs beyond the 3-4 you follow. Might learn something - then call me
They were merely examples, guy.

Did you forget the sarc sign? Allen is a classic huge Texas public school. They home school before they run to the parochial schools (Strake, Dallas Jesuit, and Lynch excepted but those run 20K/y).

IMG, a school of what 1200 (pre K through 12th grade), would be 5A but probably 1A with just HS aged kids. And people here would say, "Work harder and get better coaching."

Reactions: doctor_d
IMG, a school of what 1200 (pre K through 12th grade), would be 5A but probably 1A with just HS aged kids. And people here would say, "Work harder and get better coaching."

bones, you know that argument is tired. in fact, it was IMO legit for a long long time. just using JCA as an example, bc I can speak for the program, we had real deal strength and speed coaches way before 99% of the schools in IL.

No one is going around shouting "work harder; discipline" any more. The fact of the matter now is, and maybe the tables have turned, the only advantage, public or private, that exists these days, is whether transfers show up at schools. And, there's no way you can tell me the numbers are about equal each way these days.

I'll laugh at anyone who thinks MC has some sort of advantage these days. You can make an all star team out of the talent they've lost in the last years.

bones, you know that argument is tired. in fact, it was IMO legit for a long long time. just using JCA as an example, bc I can speak for the program, we had real deal strength and speed coaches way before 99% of the schools in IL.

No one is going around shouting "work harder; discipline" any more. The fact of the matter now is, and maybe the tables have turned, the only advantage, public or private, that exists these days, is whether transfers show up at schools. And, there's no way you can tell me the numbers are about equal each way these days.

I'll laugh at anyone who thinks MC has some sort of advantage these days. You can make an all star team out of the talent they've lost in the last years.
All IMG did was take the same model and put it on steroids. Obviously their enrollment of almost 300 doesn't represent anything that we can use to classify in comparison to the local public school in FL of 300 kids. No multiplier can fix that. Sure it's an extreme example but it is essentially the same.

Reactions: doctor_d

They have lost more D1 kids than most schools will see in 20 years. Yet they still have others left.

Reactions: ClownBaby
I believe Hinsdale Central will play #18 on that list at Nippert Stadium. Cincinnati St. Xavier is an Ohio powerhouse and the defending Division 1 Champion.

Mt.Carmel has lost more D1 kids to transfer the last couple seasons than most schools see in 20 years.
Agreed, therefore proving my point that there advantage also end up being a windfall for others.

My point is really constrained to the last 5 or so really though. You can't claim mc has an advantage for not having kids on their team...

Agreed, therefore proving my point that there advantage also end up being a windfall for others.

My point is really constrained to the last 5 or so really though. You can't claim mc has an advantage for not having kids on their team...

Of the roughly 550 IHSA footballl teams, 535 of them would be completely crippled if they lost multiple D1 kids. MC will likely still be ranked in top 25 in every publication. They are able to reload more than all but maybe 10-15 teams in the state. Probably less.

Of the roughly 550 IHSA footballl teams, 535 of them would be completely crippled if they lost multiple D1 kids. MC will likely still be ranked in top 25 in every publication. They are able to reload more than all but maybe 10-15 teams in the state. Probably less.

Agreed, but how much of that is kids wanting to go there minus whatever advantage they get as privates minus their losses?

I say they get better take than 95% of the schools. The question is why. And imo, they lose more than 95% of schools. So the question is what are we left with

ADVERTISEMENT