ADVERTISEMENT

TV Broadcast

How hard is it to wipe off the camera lense????? I cant believe this. Dont they have a production team that can see the garbage picture? Pathetic.
Sometimes the moisture gets inside the camera and it's not a simple as wiping off the camera. Wisconsin-Minnesota dealing with the same issue right now.

Nobody is winning an Emmy off this broadcast, that’s for sure. Absolutely terrible production and direction. I get there are technical difficulties, but we all knew the weather was going to be bad today. Amateur hour.

Nobody is winning an Emmy off this broadcast, that’s for sure. Absolutely terrible production and direction. I get there are technical difficulties, but we all knew the weather was going to be bad today. Amateur hour.
And the broadcast team didn't do much homework, either. They were amazed that Rita was able to "bottle up" Irving from Hillcrest (who didn't dress for the game).

It is just sad that Illinois has little respect for the fan base. Taking the games off sports net is just ridiculous. And simply a shame. The IHSA has absolutely no respect for the teams playing these games. If you cannot put it on channel that has some decent people running the show and equipment. And not across all tv subscribers. Simply garbage.

It is just sad that Illinois has little respect for the fan base. Taking the games off sports net is just ridiculous. And simply a shame. The IHSA has absolutely no respect for the teams playing these games. If you cannot put it on channel that has some decent people running the show and equipment. And not across all tv subscribers. Simply garbage.
Amen brother.

Reactions: Undercenter3rd1
Keep in mind that NBC Sports Chicago has to also want the IHSA. I don't know the specifics, but it's a two-party deal. Can you sell ads? Can you make money? Can you market the games? Who are you competing against? This has a lot to do with the pairing down of the basketball weekends.

Kinda makes you wonder if you moved it up a week pre-Thanksgiving.

Simply when they fired Bedella they cancelled it. Let’s not fool ourselves. If we can watch Iowa it is just shameful no matter what the deal is period.
They just disrespected their home crowd and fan base. The streaming era is trying to take over plain and simple and the IHSA just wants the money from the NFHS which broadcasts all year have sucked. Not enough bandwidth.

Last edited:
Don’t get me wrong. Everyone tries to do something better. But knowing going into the season and playoffs you don’t have any good feedback. They needed sports net to save the finals. Simply pathetic by the IHSA

Reactions: rjjtwest
Again I have done camera work for games before and there was no excuse for that coverage tonight! I have been watching these playoffs on tv since I was a kid 30 yrs. I’m embarrassed for them.Someone should be held accountable for this.The video editor can see all the cameras on his computer and yet he kept going to the bad cameras for hrs.

I know this is post on the TV broadcast experience but the on-site fan experience was lacking too for some reason. In the past, I have always been very complementary of the NIU experience but today was missing something - the concession stands on the east side were missing the local vendors that they have had in the past; the tents were moved to a different location and the fan experience tent was half what it has been in the past; the video scoreboard was silent during long TV timeouts (way too quiet); no podium or platform for the trophy presentation; parking was a bit different (we had to move some cones on the far west lot that we have used in years past)....despite the big W tonight, it was somewhat a low energy event - all day! I know the weather had some role and the crowds for all 6 teams I saw were lacking - and again the weather.

Again I have done camera work for games before and there was no excuse for that coverage tonight! I have been watching these playoffs on tv since I was a kid 30 yrs. I’m embarrassed for them.Someone should be held accountable for this.The video editor can see all the cameras on his computer and yet he kept going to the bad cameras for hrs.
Everyone in the state saw the weather forecast. 5-6 days ago we all knew we would be watching the games in the rain. We prepared for that.

The production crew simply came unprepared. Sad

I don't know if anyone mentioned it but, the first mistake they made in the production was to put the games on a channel that is not an HD channel. I am not sure if this was true for everyone. But here, channel 360, U too, is not HD. And a non HD channel looks awful on an HD TV. Couple that with the awful camera shots and I just couldn't watch much of it yesterday. The long shots above from the side made me feel like I was a mile away from the action I couldn't see very well in the first place.

That was terrible and the players deserve much better than this. What an embarrassment and so typical of Illinois in general.

Reactions: ignazio
I don't know if anyone mentioned it but, the first mistake they made in the production was to put the games on a channel that is not an HD channel. I am not sure if this was true for everyone. But here, channel 360, U too, is not HD. And a non HD channel looks awful on an HD TV. Couple that with the awful camera shots and I just couldn't watch much of it yesterday. The long shots above from the side made me feel like I was a mile away from the action I couldn't see very well in the first place.

That was terrible and the players deserve much better than this. What an embarrassment and so typical of Illinois in general.
HD wouldn’t have really mattered through the fog on the camera lense

Just stop using the fogged up camera. Period. And don't get me started on those announcers, all of them.

Oddy,

That's what I was thinking. Turn off the clouded camera and just use the other camera angles. At least I can see something. How hard is this to figure out?

Oddy,

That's what I was thinking. Turn off the clouded camera and just use the other camera angles. At least I can see something. How hard is this to figure out?
It's not that simple. I know you all have complained, but you guys have never dealt with this and you all act like "wiping off the lense" would have fixed it. It wouldn't. So you can all stop complaining. There were 7-8 photographers or production staffers that worked their butt off in the cold and rain for the last 2 days. Let's give them some credit and stop oversimplifying it.

It's not that simple. I know you all have complained, but you guys have never dealt with this and you all act like "wiping off the lense" would have fixed it. It wouldn't. So you can all stop complaining. There were 7-8 photographers or production staffers that worked their butt off in the cold and rain for the last 2 days. Let's give them some credit and stop oversimplifying it.
I’m thinking it was a bad seal on the lens - and that’s not a site fix. Would not know if SOP is to have a replacement lens, but it not too costly, I don’t see why they’d not. I’m sure the big boys have two hot and a cold back up - this level, not sure.

Agreed but why not turn off that one camera?

That’s there job it’s not voluntary,when you see 2 camera shots out of 8 are horrible you don’t keep going back to those bad shots.I work my butt off in bad weather for 35 yrs and I get a check rain or shine,cold and etc.

Reactions: IgorStL and Gene K.
That’s there job it’s not voluntary,when you see 2 camera shots out of 8 are horrible you don’t keep going back to those bad shots.I work my butt off in bad weather for 35 yrs and I get a check rain or shine,cold and etc.
It's "their" and you can give me the hard work in the cold Chicago tough, blah blah blah. These guys aren't getting paid that much. The rate for 8 games in two days ain't what it used to be.

This is why I'm in Phoenix :)

Agreed but why not turn off that one camera?
They probably needed to pull the whole thing apart, why they didn't do it in between games? Beats me. I don't know. I don't know who produced, directed or engineered the games. I do know that the IHSA heard from all of you though!

They probably needed to pull the whole thing apart, why they didn't do it in between games? Beats me. I don't know. I don't know who produced, directed or engineered the games. I do know that the IHSA heard from all of you though!

Yes it seems if the just did not use 2 of the 8 cameras everything would be great.

I am not blaming the camera men. That isn't as easy as those guys make it look. They are out in the elements and don't get the luxury of being able to move around to get warm. This was mostly the director's fault for calling for so many lousy shots.

I think the announcers did a good job. But in order to see and hear that you need to get past the lousy conditions, lousy shots and lousy production. Most people can't do that when watching TV. Almost all people see the action first, then listen to the announcers. It's natural. If the shots are bad, the very best announcers can't save the production. People will get frustrated when the shots are as bad as we saw.

If you were asked what you would rather have if you had to make a choice, would it be great shots and bad announcers or awful shots and good announcers? Ninety-nine percent of people would take the good shots if they had to.

HD wouldn’t have really mattered through the fog on the camera lense
Re-read my post. I said their first mistake was putting this on a non HD TV channel. I didn't say HD would have cleaned it up completely. But it would have looked better than it did. And I will say again, non HD channels look awful on HD TVs. You may have been better off seeing the games on an old box TV.

Reactions: Undercenter3rd1
Out here in the hinterlands, we are spoiled by outstanding local radio - guys that have been doing it for decades and actually know the inside scoop on each team they cover. They make the IHSA TV announcers pale by comparison.

Well....I taped and finished watching all the games yesterday as I had a lot going on Friday and Saturday so here are my thoughts....Remember Quincy Media which owns and operates 21 TV stations in the midwest (IL, IN, IA WI, MN) as well as a few abroad (AZ, NY, WV) was in charge of the whole broadcast production. I actually thought, aside from the camera issues with the rain, that they didn't do a bad job. The graphics were the best I've seen. I noticed a couple of things that were not traditionally done, and I believe it was to keep the broadcast times on track..No player introductions prior to kickoff as has been the tradition in the past...and the trophy presentations were done right on the field with no podiums. Did anyone notice the one game on Saturday when the trophy was sitting on the field and blew over? The whole production on both days fit the time frame they had established. The problem with that rain is that it came directly at the camera on a constant basis. They should've eliminated the frequent use of that camera and went with a different angle more. They coverage of the trophy presentations after the MC/Naz game were a disaster, and also in every game the runner up teams were on camera with their backs to the broadcast. They also eliminated talking to members of the media between halves like we've seen in the past. I mean. what did we know about Murphysboro..except that it's way the heck downstate?...They basically focused on showing highlights from the first halves...

As far as the on air talent....Well, that choice belongs to the IHSA...I'm not going to slam anyone. I have a very good friend who knows this sport from the high school perspective inside and out...I feel he would be a great addition to the broadcast on air talent...But that's up to the IHSA....

Over all I'll give the whole production a B-....Never seemed to be any audio issues or transmission issues as we've seen in the past...Yes, the rain created visual issues...Maybe they've learned from this and will take steps in the future to safeguard that from happening again...

On to Champaign next season..Let's see how it goes down there..

I disagree,it was a disaster broadcast people where texting me all night how bad it was,first thing at work today people where talking about it. I hope for the players and parents next yr is better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT