ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

colin2229

Jul 23, 2005
Are there any rules to the portal (ex: you can’t go to conference opponents, coach can limit where you go, etc)?

Is there a link somewhere to who’s in the portal?

Are there any rules to the portal (ex: you can’t go to conference opponents, coach can limit where you go, etc)?

Is there a link somewhere to who’s in the portal?
247sports.com has the best free list.

The public cannot search the portal itself

• Sad
Reactions: EdgyTim
Some guy named Tim O’Halloran had this posted on his home page.
Yeah I don't like the Rivals format and I don't see a comprehensive list. Like where can I find it by school?

I clicked the "10 best WR in the portal" link and it took me to an article on 2021 recruits.

I love Tim, and Tim's work. Yet that national work needs work. Not gonna lie about it, but I also didn't link it for a reason.

No offense to Tim but rivals list is not complete. I know 1st hand of a player that was not mentioned in rivals yet 24/7 has him listed as a grad transfer. Fortunately he found a home right before the onset of Covid, had an official visit and is awaiting on a spring season. Secondly some of the rivals choices for top 10 players available is questionable when certain players were also kicked off their previous team for a variety of reasons.

So what percentage of these kids end up finding new school this semester?

How about the University of Tennessee?!? Mass exodus of players entering transfer portal since season over and now more joining in since HC got fired.

Going to be a tough job for whoever gets it.

22 players from Tenn. in the portal - NIU is another school that has a lot of kids in the portal. I get the coaching change to Hammock creates a lot of transfers but wow something is off at NIU since he’s taken over. Appears most of the guys that have left were Rod Carey recruits.

Reactions: colin2229
How about the University of Tennessee?!? Mass exodus of players entering transfer portal since season over and now more joining in since HC got fired.

Going to be a tough job for whoever gets it.

With NCAA investigation into players being paid would you even want these kids on your team? Seems like more headaches for who ever takes them.

22 players from Tenn. in the portal - NIU is another school that has a lot of kids in the portal. I get the coaching change to Hammock creates a lot of transfers but wow something is off at NIU since he’s taken over. Appears most of the guys that have left were Rod Carey recruits.
And what I've heard that's exactly the plan....they want their own kids in the program not someone else's kids

Reactions: epicbret

It’s obvious how things are going to end up at NIU in the next 2-3 years.

Reactions: PowerI66
And what I've heard that's exactly the plan....they want their own kids in the program not someone else's kids

I don't get this at all, NIU went 17-7 in the MAC the previous three years before his arrival so this wasn't a job that needed a rebuild it was actually a desirable stop due to their success. If coach can't walk into a decent program and sell his system to the kids that are there why did you hire him in the first place?

Hammock has about a year left. Well maybe more considering how long they let their bball program be awful with the same coach.
He has longer than one year. But he's got to start that upward arrow.

That said, I do like his players. Just not the opening the door for two classes of scholarship athletes

I don't get this at all, NIU went 17-7 in the MAC the previous three years before his arrival so this wasn't a job that needed a rebuild it was actually a desirable stop due to their success. If coach can't walk into a decent program and sell his system to the kids that are there why did you hire him in the first place?

Completely agree. The notion that they are Losing bc they want to play their recruits is total bull.

Its the MAC you have been the most dominant team in that conference for a decade...NIU just reloads.

They can’t afford to buyout his contract and pay a new coach so he’ll ride it out. They got a Big Ten QB with Rocky Lombardi now who should do well in the MAC...if he crashes that car then he’s gone.

There is an niu board out there literally discussing this exact "mass exodus". The turnover is pretty insane

Current HC was brought in by the current AD (Sean Frazier). He will have a long leash.

Sean Frazier (AD) may be the one who needs to keep an eye on his job. His football hire isn't panning out. Mens hoops is off to a 2-10 start.

Also, in 2014 Frazier makes a big announcement on the NIU facility upgrades. It's be 7 years and they have done absolutely nothing with this. (The indoor facility was completed prior to his hiring).
Frazier Unveils NIU Athletic Facility Master Plan

247sports.com has the best free list.

The public cannot search the portal itself
Warren high grad Micah Jones will graduate from notre dame in May. He has entered transfer portal and will hopefully find a place to play next fall. A 4 star recruit, he basically has played less than sparingly in three years with Irish. I got this info reading on web site in which he said he was transferring.

Warren high grad Micah Jones will graduate from notre dame in May. He has entered transfer portal and will hopefully find a place to play next fall. A 4 star recruit, he basically has played less than sparingly in three years with Irish. I got this info reading on web site in which he said he was transferring.

Did you just let the cat out of the bag? Shame on you! MJ if this is true you have been outed.

Last edited:
Transfer Portal, it seemed like a good idea at the time. The transfer portal likely will have a long term effect on HS recruiting and current and future college athletes.

Transfer Portal, it seemed like a good idea at the time. The transfer portal likely will have a long term effect on HS recruiting and current and future college athletes.

It will take a few years to shake out but teams that are consistently involved in the transfer portal will eventually have problems recruiting high school kids since no one is going to go a place and sit on the bench for 2-3 years only to be replaced by a transfer. Not to mention most of the staffs that are doing it consistently are trying to save their jobs and will be gone anyway.

It will take a few years to shake out but teams that are consistently involved in the transfer portal will eventually have problems recruiting high school kids since no one is going to go a place and sit on the bench for 2-3 years only to be replaced by a transfer. Not to mention most of the staffs that are doing it consistently are trying to save their jobs and will be gone anyway.
As much truth as there is to that, it really depends on the knowledge of the recruit and the salesmanship of the recruiter/coach.

If the number of first year players are cut, after a few years the number of 2,3,4 year players on the market will go down. It will take five years but the numbers will go back to normal at some point. A lot of kids who have grown up in the transfer culture are going to get burned. On top of players who get run out by the new staff.

Warren grad Micah Jones will play football next fall at Illinois State. He was a non-contributor on the field in three years at Notre Dame, but was smart enough that he's earning his degree this spring.
I wonder if he's a good example of a four-star recruit (which is major college level) just winding up in a system not conducive to his skill set.
One of the things football fans like me don't ever get explained to is what separates the four-star guys who become college standouts from those that never even see the field.

Warren grad Micah Jones will play football next fall at Illinois State. He was a non-contributor on the field in three years at Notre Dame, but was smart enough that he's earning his degree this spring.
I wonder if he's a good example of a four-star recruit (which is major college level) just winding up in a system not conducive to his skill set.
One of the things football fans like me don't ever get explained to is what separates the four-star guys who become college standouts from those that never even see the field.
I think a another question is how the stars get assigned during the recruiting process. Having a son in the middle of the recruiting process now, the whole thing can be a bit of a head shaker.

Reactions: McCaravan
I’d take the ND degree and call it a career. I’d call a ND degree as using your talent successfully. 1 season at ISU likely will not earn you a NFL career. Go cash in on that degree.

From Micah Dad. I learned high level football is not just talent. My advice to parents go where your kid is needed and wanted. High level college football is about money ! The dirty secret about high level football... many players deal with stress, depression and mental issues because of expectations and treatment by coaches plus the pressures of academics and zero social life. I was able to keep him motivated and focused on his academics. Getting out of ND in 3 years was extremely tough. After hearing calls from major D1 programs post transfer portal .... he wanted to play in Illinois, be with friends, have some fun and pick up a MBA. The kid can still play & has a desire to play. Who knows ... it takes 1 great year and with his physical measurements... still running 4.5's. Only God knows. Those that know him ... he is a quality kid. So I am praying for his success at ISU. Thanks to those who have supported him. 🙏🏽

From Micah Dad. I learned high level football is not just talent. My advice to parents go where your kid is needed and wanted. High level college football is about money ! The dirty secret about high level football... many players deal with stress, depression and mental issues because of expectations and treatment by coaches plus the pressures of academics and zero social life. I was able to keep him motivated and focused on his academics. Getting out of ND in 3 years was extremely tough. After hearing calls from major D1 programs post transfer portal .... he wanted to play in Illinois, be with friends, have some fun and pick up a MBA. The kid can still play & has a desire to play. Who knows ... it takes 1 great year and with his physical measurements... still running 4.5's. Only God knows. Those that know him ... he is a quality kid. So I am praying for his success at ISU. Thanks to those who have supported him. 🙏🏽

Very nice post. Dad glad you shared this with us. You did a good job with your son. Micah is doing what is right for him. Dad is his support system. I am glad he is making the decision that’s best for him. Good luck to Micah! I hope you have a great experience at ISU! Would love to watch you on Sundays.

Reactions: Gene K.
How about the restrictions on where the players can go?
I believe when they put this in place that technically the original school can not place any restrictions on where the athlete can transfer too now, including they don't need the ok from the coaching or AD office. I think some players that transferred two or three years ago were the last ones that had to deal with any restrictions from the existing school.

Sounds like a roller coaster ride and not a fun one, like at Six Flags....
Good to see him wrap up his collegiate career playing the game like most kids start, with friends and having fun. I don't recall my stats-but I remember the fun I had.
Kudos to you for keeping the focus and motivation on academics. What a great life lesson, talk about making the best of a less than ideal situation.

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT