ADVERTISEMENT

Top Teams to Watch for 2020?

7-2 and lost Conference for the first time in LWE history. I do think though that they pulled up a couple of their best to varsity this year, which effected an already small team. Less and less kids are coming out for football.

They had over 50 kids on their soph team. Under what circumstance is that small? Granted it is not the 90 plus the year after they closed North but that wasn't normal.

Reactions: Gene K.
They had over 50 kids on their soph team. Under what circumstance is that small? Granted it is not the 90 plus the year after they closed North but that wasn't normal.
140 was the starting number after North, they got it down that first season to like 120something. 50 isn't a lot at East compared with the last few years. I realize when you see other teams it seems like a lot.

140 was the starting number after North, they got it down that first season to like 120something. 50 isn't a lot at East compared with the last few years. I realize when you see other teams it seems like a lot.

50 kids on a soph only team is higher than almost every body. The transition years were not normal numbers.

50 kids on a soph only team is higher than almost every body. The transition years were not normal numbers.
ok cool. Just seems small compared to what we've been used to the last few years, and could explain the conference loss. Maybe not. It's just simply a difference over the last 3 years where LWE has had 1 loss, that we notice in the stands. Nothing to get upset about, Merry Christmas.

How big are Odeluga and Lynch now? The former seemed far larger than 6' 200. I know that style of running [north-south and over defenders] makes one seem larger. But he's a big man.

Reactions: Eringobragh
How big are Odeluga and Lynch now? The former seemed far larger than 6' 200. I know that style of running [north-south and over defenders] makes one seem larger. But he's a big man.
The listed weights were after summer camp weigh ins so he maybe 210, but 208 of it is muscle. He’s a track guy too...just one of those rare freak athletes that can do it all that programs get once and a great while. Lynch is a legit 6’0 175-180. Close to 6’1.

Hopefully Brother Rice is even better next year. With Lausch, Shaw, Myles Jones, Whelan, Josh Bell, Moorehead, Rogers coming back. That's a solid foundation. Not sure how good the O line will be. The D line will definitely take a step back in theory with the loss of Warren and Jefferson. 2019 was a fun year and I enjoyed the run they made. Even though it apparently shouldn't count because they got a "lucky draw".
Curious if Bell sticks around...he’s a talented back, he could start on a lot of programs and get noticed more. If he stays at BR he’s going to take a back seat to Shaw.

The listed weights were after summer camp weigh ins so he maybe 210, but 208 of it is muscle. He’s a track guy too...just one of those rare freak athletes that can do it all that programs get once and a great while. Lynch is a legit 6’0 175-180. Close to 6’1.
He runs like Beanie Wells at Ohio State, but on this level obviously. Larger back out of the spread but moves smoothly and pretty quickly. Always gets north and south, leg drive, and lowers his body upon contact while maintaining that drive.

I am really impressed with him. Another great back returning for 2020.

Curious if Bell sticks around...he’s a talented back, he could start on a lot of programs and get noticed more. If he stays at BR he’s going to take a back seat to Shaw.
Hopefully he sees that he can be noticed the way Jamal Johnson was despite AJ Henning being on the team at LWE. Badke can certainly find a way to get both of them in the limelight. Rice needs all the talent they can get to compete with the CCL and the rest of the 8A.

To me, the defense is a total wild card next year. They lose players at every level of the defense in Iraci, Jefferson, Warren.

ND will be really tough

Can we trade out to the Orange with Naz?

Resurgent O from PC, SR stacked with a bunch of underclassmen and ND reloading. Hoping the Broncos can get to 2-2 in conference and 2-1 in crossovers. 1-1 in non-con gets them to 5-4.

Can we trade out to the Orange with Naz?

Resurgent O from PC, SR stacked with a bunch of underclassmen and ND reloading. Hoping the Broncos can get to 2-2 in conference and 2-1 in crossovers. 1-1 in non-con gets them to 5-4.
source.gif

WHY DIDN’T THEY WIPE OFF THE LENS?

Wouldn't have made a difference. It was a horizontal rain in a swirling wind. The end zone camera had the advantage of a lower elevation. But the camera with the overhead view got it smack in the face.

Last edited:
Year in and year out it's all the usual suspects with a couple of them being really, really good. I'm more interested in watching Derek Leonard's assault on the record book for state championships. I believe this was his 14th or 15th season and he's what, mid-late 30s? Forgive me if my math is wrong or if I left someone out.

MC & JCA - 13
Providence - 10
ESL - 9
Rochester - 8
WW South - 7

Based on the last game WWS returns 9 but they have another 5-6 kids that played a lot. A big thing for them will be if they get arguably their top kid back since didn’t play this year as a Jr.

Providence returning 6 starters on offense. And all skill players on offense, jr QB Conway, Potential D-1 soph RB Aaron Vaughn Jr, D-1 TE Jameson Geers. Keep your eyes open

Enough of you big school guys...How about Clifton Central, 11-1 quarterfinalists in 2A. They had no seniors who touched the ball. So the QB, receivers, and running backs all return from a team that was ranked No. 1 for a big chunk of the season...Brian Spooner may have his first title game team after having two semi-final teams in '08 & '12...

All.... A decent synopsis other than your Champaign thought. ESL loses quite a bit on defense but the five back on offense and what I'm being told they have coming up overall should they be in 5A will once again make them heavy favorites in that class. Is Beatty a lock as qb considering his catching attributes? Ratsy
East Saint Louis might petition to go up to 7A---they have done this before.

Coal City will be very good again next year. Will return 4 starting offensive lineman who just got 13 games of Varsity experience. One started as a Sophomore. Two excellent skill players coming back with Cooper and Harvey. Another starter is 6'4" split End who will likely move to tight end. Will need to solidify the QB position but there will be plenty of weapons on O. Defense returns 6 starters. Half of the D line, a linebacker and three defensive backs. Will lose a little size on D but there are some good sized Sophs and Juniors that could make the jump. CC will be the favorite in the ICE and should make another good post season run

ADVERTISEMENT