ADVERTISEMENT

Top Teams to Watch for 2020?

I think Warren builds on this and wins it all next year! Loyola has a ton coming back and some studs coming up.

Reactions: Gene K.
If I miss any schools, I mean no disrespect for I am ignorant.

ESL because of that QB and system and the "We will play anyone, anywhere, anytime" mentality.

BR--great run in 8A and have a lot of yut. The run this year in the playoffs should be a springboard.

I gonna go out on a limb here and say Rochester: the coach, the system, the players and the chip on the shoulders mentality.

7A state champion MC, because they are young and have lots of talent coming through.

I think Rita will be tough, but are they Top 10 status? Not so sure. Although Rita has a solid O-line, she needs to get better if she wants to compete against the big dogs. Even a great RB like KB was shut down, so keep building up and developing the O-line and have your two QB's work their butts off to take their game to another level. I think the potential is there. Both QB's need to believe in themselves and allow their natural talent take over sometimes. A lot of people are assuming Rita will be very good, but the proof is in the pudding. Let's keep this going!

The same ten or 15 teams it is every year. More imporantly is who does best in free agency pillaging kids from teams who could potentially be good next year.

Rochester.

This team will be watched on many many many more Radars then they were previously.

I know their great receiver was only a soph but other than that I couldn't tell right now what they have coming back. And they have a good system & coaching.

JCA should be improved next year. They played a lot of Sophs. and Jrs. this year. They need to get better in a few key areas, but they could potentially have their best team since 2015, IMO.

Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81
Beat by the better team yesterday. Naz will return 9 on offense and around 4 or 5 on defense

I think LWE and warren loose to many seniors!
We have to look at teams that started a lot of sophs or juniors that did well.
Naz
Main south
Loyola
Esl
Rice
Rochester
Lake forest
Hersey

SHG has a lot coming back next year. They should score a ton of points. If the defense comes together, they could be in Champaign next year in 5a.

Rochester has 2 great weapons back, Beatty and Durocher. But the 5a title team was senior dominated. Most of the OL, DL, and DB’s were seniors. I hope we return to 4a in 2020. New guys will step up but it could take some time.

MC returns
QB- Justin Lynch
RB- Kenenna Odeluga
WR- Jaali Parker, Khyiem Schooler, Jack Butcher
OL- Gabe Krahn, Eddie Palomado, Sean Brady, Mike Dorbritch (injured for season week 7)

DL- Austin Ramirez
LB- Austin Maciel-Haygood, Tom Egan
DB- Ben Perry, Sam DeValle, JT Harris
K- Julian Patino

Mercy!

SHG has a lot coming back next year. They should score a ton of points. If the defense comes together, they could be in Champaign next year in 5a.

Rochester has 2 great weapons back, Beatty and Durocher. But the 5a title team was senior dominated. Most of the OL, DL, and DB’s were seniors. I hope we return to 4a in 2020. New guys will step up but it could take some time.

All.... A decent synopsis other than your Champaign thought. ESL loses quite a bit on defense but the five back on offense and what I'm being told they have coming up overall should they be in 5A will once again make them heavy favorites in that class. Is Beatty a lock as qb considering his catching attributes? Ratsy

Last edited:
All.... A decent synopsis other than your Champaign thought. ESL loses quite a bit on defense but the five back on offense and what I'm being told they have coming up overall should they be in 5A will once again make them heavy favorites in that class. Is Beatty a lock as qb considering his catching attributes? Ratsy
Definitely based my thought on SHG making a run that ESL would stay in 6A.

From what I’ve heard, Beatty will be moving to QB. Not 100% for sure but close.

Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81
I was wondering the same thing. That dude is an awesome receiver, let somebody else chuck the football.

All.... They have always had success developing football players including qb's in Rochester. In a one high school town with no wicking off of players to other schools and a very solid JFL program there are other qb's in the wings waiting. The question will be is he more valuable with what looks to be a young team leading them at qb as opposed to wr. Finding wo's for their offensive style and system never has been a problem with how their receivers have been taught the art of separation from coverage. That's priceless when you have receivers that are not tall or fast. I shake my head even this day how it's not being taught in other schools especially those in the CS8. The passing game is the great equalizer when playing a team of equal skill or well..... better. Ratsy

Last edited:

ESL will be better on both offense and defense in 2020

All.... They have always had success developing football players including qb's in Rochester. In a one high school town with no wicking off of players to other schools and a very solid JFL program there are other qb's in the wings waiting. The question will be is he more valuable with what looks to be a young team leading them at qb as opposed to wr. Finding wo's for their offensive style and system never has been a problem with how their receivers have been taught the art of separation from coverage. That's priceless when you have receivers that are not tall or fast. I shake my head even this day how it's not being taught in other schools especially those in the CS8. The passing game is the great equalizer(or better) when playing a team of equal skill or well..... better. Ratsy

Rochester has a great high school program obviously, but it definitely starts in their JFL program. Many probably didn't see the Rochester hype video on channel1450.com but it shows the seniors from this year's team in team/JFL photos from elementary school all the way through. Most of Rochester's teams have played together since 1st or 2nd grade...

All.... I still marvel on how cool and collective that qb of yours is. The rap on ESL in the past is super athletes not football players playing the game. Well if it was ever true those days are over. Quite a bit of wise playing on the entire team. Ratsy P.S. As always I will be saying a little prayer now and again to the football Gods that the Flyers when the postseason comes around next year go 6A. (lol) Ratsy

It's going to be tough to be better on def after losing aj, Billingsley, scarbrough and Walker. Of course that's all depending on who sunkett can sway this off season.

Def have to potential to be better on off with just what's returning

It's going to be tough to be better on def after losing aj, Billingsley, scarbrough and Walker. Of course that's all depending on who sunkett can sway this off season.

SWC conference seems to be down. Will have to focus more on Missouri to reload.

Reactions: Odirty
The WSS doesn't have standing to boast or claim that the state should 'look out' for them, but the HC offense should be good next year. QB1 might be top a 5 QB in IL next year recruiting wise. He'll have a big and athletic o-line plus some other size and talent in the hallways right now.

Reactions: RD_Watcher

Do not have to sway anyone the Jr Flyers will provide that. They were 8th grade champions as well

SWC conference seems to be down. Will have to focus more on Missouri to reload.
Yea no doubt. Eville has a rb, belleville east had a freshman de/rb, granite city had some decent looking athletes but the team was awful. But overall not many high level athletes.

With all the turmoil/scandals going on at some of the private schools in stl, it wouldnt shock me at all to see even more than normal leave and come to esl

Reactions: Odirty
Don’t tell anyone. They want to be a surprise. But Fenwick had 10 sophomores starting this year. 7 on offense. All skill guys are Soph with 1 jr. And jr coming back that was hurt all year. .

A solid Fenwick team is good for Illinois HS football. Who takes the reins of the program?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT