ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 active IHSA Football coaches in Illinois?

Might throw Todd Kuska from Rita in there. He has a state championship & has probably been there 20 years now with a consistent winner in the state's toughest conference.

Absolutely! Man, he’s been there forever. 45 years? He’s a great guy. That’s a cool place to play.

All.... And less than a stones throw away from the field icy cold "pops" at the bowling alley. Ratsy

Am I the only one that thinks Ivlow and Buzea should be able to do better with the crazy talent pools they pick from? They should each be a semifinal team every year.

Also, Matt Martin of Edwardsville deserves to be mentioned here. 3 quarterfinals and 2 semifinal appearances in his 8 years.

Am I the only one that thinks Ivlow and Buzea should be able to do better with the crazy talent pools they pick from? They should each be a semifinal team every year.

Also, Matt Martin of Edwardsville deserves to be mentioned here. 3 quarterfinals and 2 semifinal appearances in his 8 years.
No. Totally agree those two should be doing more. Agree on Edwardsville. Great program that has figured out how to win after 300+ mile trips every year.

How about Bret Kooi, currently at Lemont?
  • consecutive 8A state championships at Lockport in '02 & '03
  • elite winning percentage at Lemont
  • runner-up finish in 6A at Lemont in '14
  • already inducted into IHSFCA Hall of Fame

How about Bret Kooi, currently at Lemont?
  • consecutive 8A state championships at Lockport in '02 & '03
  • elite winning percentage at Lemont
  • runner-up finish in 6A at Lemont in '14
  • already inducted into IHSFCA Hall of Fame
Definitely take him over McAllister

Agree and disagree. For H-F they haven't been overly talented outside of '07 really. They have had some players here and there like the Harley-Hamptons, Kendric Pryor, and Justin Hall. Doesn't make a whole team, but they've had some good playoff success.

As for The Brook they've had more high end talent, but aren't as good 1-22 as other top programs. However, no playoff wins in 4 years and missing the playoffs in '16 is inexplicable.

But then again, I am talking to someone who thought an offer sheet actually produces on the field. As I've said before there are a dozen programs people claim should be in the semi-finals yearly. Obviously the math doesn't work like that.

Reactions: Gene K.
Any list that doesn’t include guys like Bill Mitz, Brad Seaburg Or Chris Schremp isn’t a list.

I don’t think Inserra for sure

My top ten in no particular order

Zvonar
Holecek
Schremp
Piron
Inserra
Seaburg
Mitz
Hetlet
Leonard
Martin

So many more could go in this list, but when I think of the best I think of guys with sustained success. It’s not just about state titles, it’s about success. In the playoffs every year. Making a run to a title game.

There aren’t many guys in the state that do that every year. Each of the ones I’ve listed are multiple multiple years in the playoffs. All but two have state titles.

For those of us who do not know the names of most head coaches, please list the school where these guys coach. I had to look up the fact that Chris Schremp was the coach of PR and Bill Mitz was at Stevenson (check that, he is at Jacobs I guess).

Thanks

Last edited:
Any list that doesn’t include guys like Bill Mitz, Brad Seaburg Or Chris Schremp isn’t a list.

Zvonar
Holecek
Schremp
Piron
Inserra
Seaburg
Mitz
Hetlet
Leonard
Martin

So many more could go in this list, but when I think of the best I think of guys with sustained success. It’s not just about state titles, it’s about success. In the playoffs every year. Making a run to a title game.

There aren’t many guys in the state that do that every year. Each of the ones I’ve listed are multiple multiple years in the playoffs. All but two have state titles.

1. I don’t think Inserra for sure - what does this mean?
2. How can you not have Racki on this list? I'm no fan of him personally, which is known, but come on man...

Zvonar
Holecek
Schremp
Piron
Inserra
Seaburg
Mitz
Hetlet
Leonard
Martin

I'll get blasted by some here but any top 10 list without Racki doesn't make sense.

Zvonar
Holecek
Schremp
Piron
Inserra
Seaburg
Mitz
Hetlet
Leonard
Martin

didnt mitz step down so he isn't current anymore.

No Muhitch

He will be back on the list shortly things got a little stale, he realized it and was open to changing things up and it has worked. Numbers have been up on the freshman level and things are starting to fall in place, I really think WWS will add another state title here shortly.

Last edited:

Zvonar
Holecek
Schremp
Piron
Inserra
Seaburg
Mitz
Hetlet
Leonard
Martin

Based on this Criteria the Coach from Naz and the Coach from ESL should definitely be on the list. Since 05, ESL has been to the at least the Quarters ever year except for 15 which was the strike year and 12 which was a second round loss to Eville.

1. I don’t think Inserra for sure - what does this mean?
2. How can you not have Racki on this list? I'm no fan of him personally, which is known, but come on man...

Do not don’t (typo) Racki is an oversite

Who you got and why?
1. Bill Krefft (three straight state championships)
2. Mike Allen (28 - 0 over the last two years)
3. Denny Diduch (three championships in the last five years)
4. Tim Racki (three championships in the last five years + Driscoll)
5. Derek Leonard (seven championships in the last nine seasons)
6. John Holecek (nine 8A semifinals in the last decade)
7. Chris Schremp (back to back in 2016 and 2017)
8. Troy McAllister (4A, 5A or 6A, takes on all challengers)
9. Brad Seaburg (battles effectively every year with Chris Schremp)
10. Dennis Piron (back to back 7A semifinals with the 2017 championship)

1. Bill Krefft (three straight state championships)
2. Mike Allen (28 - 0 over the last two years)
3. Denny Diduch (three championships in the last five years)
4. Tim Racki (three championships in the last five years + Driscoll)
5. Derek Leonard (seven championships in the last nine seasons)
6. John Holecek (nine 8A semifinals in the last decade)
7. Chris Schremp (back to back in 2016 and 2017)
8. Troy McAllister (4A, 5A or 6A, takes on all challengers)
9. Brad Seaburg (battles effectively every year with Chris Schremp)
10. Dennis Piron (back to back 7A semifinals with the 2017 championship)
I'm not going to get in the fine details as to why McAllister doesn't belong in the top 10, but watch his play calling and game management. He's outside my top 50. There are coaches who do more with less

ADVERTISEMENT