ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Brady

Ok, your opinion... Hypothetical you is an NFL QB and have option in career to go to 8 (maybe more) SB's and go 5-3 or go to 4 and be 4-0.... what do you do? I take going to twice as many SB's and losing a few while still having a winning record.

The question isn't what I would personally prefer, so irrelevant. I'd likely take the 8 shots. The real question would be to Montana; would he trade his career for Brady's?

You were right the first time. It is a stupid opinion. We should give Montana credit because some years he lost in the conference championship game or earlier instead of making it to the SB and losing???

Irrelevant. Was the NFC deeper when Montana had his run than the AFC over the last 14 years with Brady? One has nothing to do with the other and you're basing your argument entirely on emotion.

I will take Jordans 6-0 over Lebrons 3-6 or whatever any time!

Did Montana ever lose to a backup quarterback in the Superbowl?

Did Brady ever play in the day when defenses would injure/take out 2-3 quarterbacks in one game? I remember the Bears taking out all the Raider QB's and Marcus Allen had to take snaps for the rest of the game.

I think Brady had great pressure only one time last night and he fumbled.

And I think Brady''s one of the greats.

Last edited:
Irrelevant. Was the NFC deeper when Montana had his run than the AFC over the last 14 years with Brady? One has nothing to do with the other and you're basing your argument entirely on emotion.
I might go along with the idea the NFC, during Montana's days, was much tougher to get through during playoff time than the AFC is now. There was a time during Montana's run that the four best teams in the entire NFL were all in the NFC. You could figure on the Super Bowl winner being the team that won the NFC championship.

But, with that said, Brady's Super Bowl competition has been much tougher than Montana's was.

I will take Jordans 6-0 over Lebrons 3-6 or whatever any time!

Did Montana ever lose to a backup quarterback in the Superbowl?

Did Brady ever play in the day when defenses would injure/take out 2-3 quarterbacks in one game? I remember the Bears taking out all the Raider QB's and Marcus Allen had to take snaps for the rest of the game.

I think Brady had great pressure only one time last night and he fumbled.

And I think Brady''s one of the greats.
That fumble wasn't Brady's fault. The guy threw for over 500 yards without an interception. No way anyone can put this loss at the feet of Tom Brady. No question he played MVP type football. They scored 33 points. That should be enough to win any NFL game.

As a matter of fact, of the 52 Super Bowl games played, this is the first time a team scored as many as 33 points and lost.

Reactions: Bwm57
Quarterbacks Brady has faced in a Super Bowl:

Warner
Manning 2x
Wilson
Foles
McNab
Delhomme
Ryan

Quarterbacks Montana faced ........
Marino
Anderson
Esiason
Elway

I think it was a tougher for Montana. But you could make a case for both

Anyone care to comment upon the wisdom of putting your starting QB at risk early in the game by sending him down the field as a pass receiver? After seeing Northwestern lose Thorson early in their bowl game (although the 'Cats when on to narrowly win), it struck me odd that the Pats and Eagles took the similar early chances with Brady and Foles, respectively.

Quarterbacks Brady has faced in a Super Bowl:

Warner
Manning 2x
Wilson
Foles
McNab
Delhomme
Ryan

Quarterbacks Montana faced ........
Marino
Anderson
Esiason
Elway

I think it was a tougher for Montana. But you could make a case for both
I am not necessarily talking about the QBs Montana faced. I am talking about the teams he faced. What I said before holds true. During most of Montana's career in the 80s, the four best teams in the NFL, the 49ers, Bears, Giants and Redskins were all in the NFC.

Let's start with the 1989 Broncos. That team was 11-5 and had the best record in the AFC. No other team won as many as 10 games in that conference, while the NFC had seven teams that won 10 or more games. No question the NFC was better by a lot. In my opinion the Broncos didn't even belong on the same field with that 49ers team. The Giants would probably have given the 49ers a better game if the Rams didn't upset them in the first round in OT.

In the 1980s the AFC won only two Super Bowls. The Raiders did it in the 1980 and '83 seasons. The NFC was, without question, the dominant conference. I believe during Brady's tenure, the conferences are more equal. I will continue to say, Montana may have faced stiffer playoff competition, but Brady has faced stiffer SB competition.

To me, before this Super Bowl and after, Brady is the best ever. He has done it more often and over a longer period and he feels like he can still play...and so do I.

Also have to take into account the QB' s of this era are highly protected compared to the rules of the past when QB's were free reign for defenses. Back then you were never sure a QB was going to last one game with all the freedom the league was giving to the defense. I highly doubt Brady plays in near as many games as he does now if he played during the Montana era.

Just watching yesterdays game it seemed Brady got hit good only one time more than if he was playing flag football out there yesterday, and he fumbled the ball on that one hit.

ADVERTISEMENT