ADVERTISEMENT

They're getting the band back together

capnbillhitters

Gold Member
May 18, 2015
Hearing the prodigal son is returning home for the Hitter faithful.

Coach Sig is returning to GW as OC. Might give Hetlet more time to rebuild his defense this year.

Can't wait to see the impact he has on the Oline work. He has enough weapons to have a high end scoring machine if they can create some gaps. Sig is the king of creating such gaps.

Did not keep his position on EG but is going to be in the building at GW. What happens to the old OC? Kind of a demotion after winning a state title two years ago?

Almost 100% positive there have been 3 OC's in three years.

Guy after Sig seemed to clash a bit and Hetlet took over play calling with help from eyes in the sky. He coached the Sophs last year and may or may not have called for the biggest head scratch onside kick in history. Ask @Cross Bones about that one.

Last year was a great guy who has been a long time trusted ally, but being Hetlet's OC can be stressful. He will likely be fine with Sig coming back. Never sure whether Sig was playing with one hand tied behind his back when GW played ultra-conservative defensive minded football in the '12 title game. While GW played to some pretty low scores through '14, '15 kinda woke them up to the possibility of putting up big points. With Brods and a hot QB, they could win shootouts like L'ville.

Last year started kinda slow but HC was a turning point. WR Pierce showed what he could do when healthy in the 1st half against HC but the kids kinda shut down and frittered away a key game. When they reviewed that film I'm sure something clicked. Only thing to stop that offense was a case of the player yips on the big stage vs LA in the semis seven weeks later.

This year, GW has 5 legitimate threats to go yard on any play. They have inside, outside and over the top available assuming kids stay healthy. I think folks might be surprised when GW comes out of the gate hot against MS.

The 2012 team had some monster talent and heart, so not going to compare '17 to that team yet. That has to be earned.

I do know that bringing back 3,500 yards of offense has to be a tantalizing incentive for Sig to want to come back.

Yep, this is good news for the Hitters. Over the last few seasons, I've posted a few unflattering remarks about the GW OC's. It's been a topic often discussed in the stands, much to the annoyance of some of the moms sitting around us (never loud or emotional; if you watched the sidelines closely the tension was pretty obvious). Pretty sure that issue is behind us now!

Yep, this is good news for the Hitters. Over the last few seasons, I've posted a few unflattering remarks about the GW OC's. It's been a topic often discussed in the stands, much to the annoyance of some of the moms sitting around us (never loud or emotional; if you watched the sidelines closely the tension was pretty obvious). Pretty sure that issue is behind us now!
Hard to call plays when the HC is telling you what to do, from the outside looking in it looks like Keely was sent down to the SOPH's for a reason. But when you win like Hetlet has, hard to question him.

Did not keep his position on EG but is going to be in the building at GW. What happens to the old OC? Kind of a demotion after winning a state title two years ago?

Hard to call plays when the HC is telling you what to do, from the outside looking in it looks like Keely was sent down to the SOPH's for a reason. But when you win like Hetlet has, hard to question him.

Job of OC is a heck of a lot more than calling plays. I have no direct knowledge of any specific issues, but I know if I was head coach, I would want a level of comfort about all team activities. All defensive mined head coaches look to have input on risk/reward of offensive play calling so hard to find fault with a HC wanting input.

Trying to read body language or perceive pre-play activities is a crap shoot at best. Those discussions could relate to plays, personnel, strategy or numerous others elements.

None of us are in the room during game planning so all of us lack the context for what we are viewing.

ADVERTISEMENT