ADVERTISEMENT

They get to play

LakeCtyNewt

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2002
With everything we have all been through over the last 13 months and regardless of your opinions of the pandemic, tonight the kids get to play.

It sucks that the stands won’t be full, the cheerleaders won’t likely be there and their won’t be a halftime band playing, but the positives far out weigh the negatives.

Kids will play the game they love so much. It will look the same, sound the same and feel the same.

Tonight is the first time in 24 years I won’t be on a sideline with note pad in hand and the first time in 13 years I won’t have someone playing.

You know what, I don’t care. The kids are playing and THAT is all that matters.

Instead of complaining about what it’s not, be grateful that we get what we get.Enjoy the 2021 season, I know the players will.

With everything we have all been through over the last 13 months and regardless of your opinions of the pandemic, tonight the kids get to play.

It sucks that the stands won’t be full, the cheerleaders won’t likely be there and their won’t be a halftime band playing, but the positives far out weigh the negatives.

Kids will play the game they love so much. It will look the same, sound the same and feel the same.

Tonight is the first time in 24 years I won’t be on a sideline with note pad in hand and the first time in 13 years I won’t have someone playing.

Instead of complaining about what it’s not, be grateful that we get what we get.Enjoy the 2021 season, I know the players will.

Couldn't agree more. One of the main reasons I love Thursday afternoon CPL action is kids simply playing for the love of the game. There have been many times it has been me and 10 other people, tops, in Gateley, Rockne, or Stagg for a 3:30 start. Teams with less than 20 guys. Two or three coaches per team. No headsets. No end zone cameras. No cheerleaders. No bands. Just kids playing football. These kids play on teams that aren't eligible for the playoffs. They have never played on teams that are eligible for the playoffs, yet they still find reasons to play.

Don't get me wrong. I think the traditional Friday Night Lights experience is the most high school of all high school experiences. Nothing can replace it. I still get goosebumps when the fans are cheering, the band is playing, and a team runs through some paper sign, through a tunnel of cheerleaders, and pile on top of each other on the sideline. Unfortunately, none of this is happening this year, and while most of us don't agree with what these kids and schools won't be able to do, maybe we should all take a breath and just be happy that the kids can play.

Me other thing and good points Ghost, we kind of get a blend of old school this spring with Saturday afternoon football!

Reactions: GhostOfTheGhhost
On ESPN 1000 Chicago they are talking about this weekend being the greatest sports weekend of the year due to the NCAA tournament.

Waiting for someone to call in and tell them it's also IL HS Football kickoff weekend!

Today is a great day. I know I have been very outspoken on what has transpired the past year with the covid stuff and restrictions. And many have not agreed with me, which is fine. I still believe at the end of the day many of us could sit back with some beers and be good friends. In the end we wanted HS football (sports in general) back, and it's happening. Time to savor the moment. Then on to baseball!

Only 3 able bodied teams able to play are not this weekend that I know of. Naz, Crete and Niles North.

Today is a great day. I know I have been very outspoken on what has transpired the past year with the covid stuff and restrictions. And many have not agreed with me, which is fine. I still believe at the end of the day many of us could sit back with some beers and be good friends. In the end we wanted HS football (sports in general) back, and it's happening. Time to savor the moment. Then on to baseball!
I was going along fine with your post until you came to the "beer" part. Quite frankly, I don't think I'd want to see a discussion involving some of us after a few beers!! :rolleyes::D;)

Instead of complaining about what it’s not, be grateful that we get what we get. Enjoy the 2021 season, I know the players will.

I think we can do two things at the same time. We can enjoy and be grateful for kids playing football while also continuing to question the logic and reasoning behind some of the restrictions and limitations being enforced in the name of public health.

We won't all agree and that's OK. If we've learned anything over the past 13 months, it's that people we love and respect can have completely different perspectives regarding the ongoing debate over COVID restrictions. Just because I hold a certain position doesn't eliminate the validity of someone that sees it a different way.

Good luck and congrats to the all players and parents tonight!

Very good question.
With this being a 6 game improvised season and with there not being any playoff berths up for grabs, I cannot think of a valid reason why a team that already had planned on playing a football game that weekend, not playing anyone else in their place. Any contest within reason, they should be playing. Everyone knows this is a unique year and I don't think in that situation anyone is looking to embarrass anyone. Just get out on the field and play.

Reactions: Q5clan
I don't know each conferences rules, but if your conference has a "conference games only" rule, it wouldn't matter if the teams wanted to play.

Using my town as an example. I think even if York and IC had opponents cancel the same week, they aren't allowed to play each other, even though the schools are a mile away from each other.

I don't know each conferences rules, but if your conference has a "conference games only" rule, it wouldn't matter if the teams wanted to play.

Using my town as an example. I think even if York and IC had opponents cancel the same week, they aren't allowed to play each other, even though the schools are a mile away from each other.
We've all read and experienced a lot of ridiculous things throughout this process of cancelling, waiting and eventually getting a chance to play, and that may be the most depressing rule or decision I've seen yet. There's an opportunity for anywhere from 30-50 kids from each team to get out on the field on any given night and play a game for really nothing other than the love of it this year, and they can't because of a conference rule a bunch of grown ups came up with.

We've all read and experienced a lot of ridiculous things throughout this process of cancelling, waiting and eventually getting a chance to play, and that may be the most depressing rule or decision I've seen yet. There's an opportunity for anywhere from 30-50 kids from each team to get out on the field on any given night and play a game for really nothing other than the love of it this year, and they can't because of a conference rule a bunch of grown ups came up with.
I agree with you. Just giving a likely reason for why.

Ran into a similar issue last summer with my daughters travel softball team. For awhile, we were only allowed to play teams within our IDPH region (DuPage/Kane). So we could play teams 40 miles west of us, but not teams 2 miles east (Cook County). Even more bizarre, our one "home" field was in Cook County, but neither team playing on it was from Cook.....

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT