ADVERTISEMENT

The year of the non-trad

JCHILLTOPPERS

May 29, 2001
Finally settling into things, and this is what i am initially feeling. This may be the year of the non-traditional teams to break out. We all know who is number 1, and well, I like my Hilltoppers as the comeback TOY, and of course, no one can lay claim to the Jesuit thrown until they take that crown...

I think the DSR is going to have a very very very rough time post week two. I think we are going to see a lot of 1-1 teams, and we will be forced to ask ourselves, do we give the nod for name's sake...or do we gamble on 2-0 teams that have not normally been a part of the picture?

One team that is completely frustrating me this season is bronco. That is what we call an aside.

For the first time ever, I think 6a is going to be the hardest bracket to win. That seems like no secret.

Bones is calling for Andrew to win a title this season.

DSR doesn't really take true shape until week 5 or 6 IMO. Gotta take in SOS. I give bonus points for teams that aren't afraid to have a loss or two on the schedule. Can't schedule cupcakes early to get into the DSR!

Maybe Huntley shocks the mighty Samson in Week 2, C-G in Week 5 and pushes through a 9-0 season. If so, they may get on a roll and do some damage in 8A. Watched that '15 team and they whipped 7A semifinalist C-G like dogs. Week 2 at Huntley could be a DSR game to watch.

Speaking of Week 1 key games, after GW faces MS in Week 1, they will be favored by 30+ pts the next four games (Proviso East may be -60) meaning a loss to MS would eliminate any GW quality win before Week 6 at LT and make any early DSR love a long shot.

Saturday at Duchon is looming large. Helipad is ready and secondary sprinkler system in place.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
J-Chill
Given recent transgressions-Does Bones receive censure from the DSR?

DSR doesn't really take true shape until week 5 or 6 IMO. Gotta take in SOS. I give bonus points for teams that aren't afraid to have a loss or two on the schedule. Can't schedule cupcakes early to get into the DSR!

Guerinfan,

How is the Guerin program looking this year? They had the arrow pointing up a few years back, Not so sure now.

Guerinfan,

How is the Guerin program looking this year? They had the arrow pointing up a few years back, Not so sure now.

Hard to say. They lost some very good players in Szczygiel, Corona, and Roldan. However, they actually have a good amount of freshmen out this summer. Overall numbers look better than last year. They will probably be young, but I think they will be better in the longrun. I'd rather go 1-8/2-7 with the coaches they have now than go 4-5 with he who shall not be named.

Maybe Huntley shocks the mighty Samson in Week 2, C-G in Week 5 and pushes through a 9-0 season. If so, they may get on a roll and do some damage in 8A. Watched that '15 team and they whipped 7A semifinalist C-G like dogs. Week 2 at Huntley could be a DSR game to watch.

Speaking of Week 1 key games, after GW faces MS in Week 1, they will be favored by 30+ pts the next four games (Proviso East may be -60) meaning a loss to MS would eliminate any GW quality win before Week 6 at LT and make any early DSR love a long shot.

Saturday at Duchon is looming large. Helipad is ready and secondary sprinkler system in place.

Cap, you nailed it on one of my thoughts. Huntly...

Reactions: capnbillhitters
What frustrates you on the Montini team for this season?

Frustrating in the sense I just don't know where I fit them into to my teams to watch. Has bronco waned a little? If not, how do I measure them with tough conference loses? I usually have a very good feel for bronco - in the sense I know whether they are a favorite. This year, I don't know. SOme of that may be because i was away this off season.

Frustrating in the sense I just don't know where I fit them into to my teams to watch. Has bronco waned a little? If not, how do I measure them with tough conference loses? I usually have a very good feel for bronco - in the sense I know whether they are a favorite. This year, I don't know. SOme of that may be because i was away this off season.

Interesting to see Year 1 Post Andriano

Interesting to see Year 1 Post Andriano

right. so much too. There was a culture there there. As an insider, with Jaws, I know that just as Sharp brought in his unique style, his culture was of JCA...and now with Jaws. Does that exist at Bronco, where success was under one coach, not a litany of excellence. I hope so, but it's hard. It's one reason i saw and predicted a decline at MS, when their heralded D coord stepped out. Will Bronco have a smooth transition like there has been at JCA, or will it take time, like at MS?

What will happen when Lenti goes?

Worse, what will happen when Putin goes?

right. so much too. There was a culture there there. As an insider, with Jaws, I know that just as Sharp brought in his unique style, his culture was of JCA...and now with Jaws. Does that exist at Bronco, where success was under one coach, not a litany of excellence. I hope so, but it's hard. It's one reason i saw and predicted a decline at MS, when their heralded D coord stepped out. Will Bronco have a smooth transition like there has been at JCA, or will it take time, like at MS?

With a longtime assistant taking over at Montini and most if not all of the asst. coaches remaining on the staff I don't see them missing a beat.

Who will have a more difficult transition after each goes....MC or Russia? I might have said MC, prior to their recent run of difficulties.

JCA and Bronco will be just fine! I got a feeling that JCA is going to make a lot of noise in 5A.

J-Chill,
M-S is 59-11 since the DC departed.(1 championship)
I don't know how you feel like JCA is somehow further along than them!
Also, the new HC for the Bronco has multiple state championships is multiple sports as a head coach.
I'm thinking they will be just fine!

Coach Bukovsky has retained most of Montini's coaching staff and has been a coach at Montini for a long, long time. Brian Casey will be the new offensive coordinator. Last year he was the QB coach. Coach Andriano will also be helping out this year in a limited capacity. The players like and respect Coach Bu as he is a no nonsense type of guy from what I understand and was defensive coordinator last year and will do the same this year. Doesn't play favorites and the players who get their jobs done will be playing the most.

Same schedule for Montini with the exception of Hyde Park in the opener. Six returning started on offense. Last year we had three juniors playing at various times at QB and all of the did pretty well with each having different skill sets. Injuries at RB in the latter half of last year led to a lot of playing time for a junior RB who is a power runner with some speed to boot. The Broncos will miss Mitch West (Navy) but they have a burner with great hands at WR in another junior who played a ton last year. They will have a lot of options to spread the ball around on offense. Also some junior players will see a lot of playing time. Look for a much better offense than last year barring any key injuries.

Defense has some holes to fill on the line but understand that there are some very good juniors who will fill in the holes. Linebackers have one starter and supposedly a very good transfer in on the outside. Defensive backfield has two returning starters. I look for some players on offense to play both ways at various positions and especially on passing downs.

Kicking game will be solid as it has been for the past two years.

Pretty sure Aurrillio is at Glenbard South now? I heard he was in the running for the Westmont job and a spot on the football staff Fremd or Conant. It could have been another school.

Really wanted him to get the SF job. He is a really good coach,

ADVERTISEMENT