ADVERTISEMENT

The White Sox...

Blue Ruin

May 16, 2019
Chicago
...have issued an early warning to the rest of the league. This is a team with very few weaknesses. Meanwhile, the Cubs are cutting costs because the billionaires need more money. Greed will send the franchise to the bottom of the lake.

Last edited:
Too many damn teams in this town win the offseason, I’ll believe it when they win the regular season

They always have so many pitchers go down with injuries in their system. Makes you wonder if they are being managed correctly.

They also obtained two ground ball starting pitchers in the off season but while all their infielders are good hitters, they are suspect defensively.

Do they have enough left handed hitting in the starting lineup? Thank God they finally got a left handed starting pitcher.

The best player in their entire organization is Luis Robert.

Last edited:
...have issued an early warning to the rest of the league. This is a team with very few weaknesses. Meanwhile, the Cubs are cutting costs because the billionaires need more money. Greed will send the franchise to the bottom of the lake.

Cubs payroll for 2020 is going to be about $210M, White Sox will be about $140M and will NEVER approach the luxury tax like the Cubs have... SO how again will Cubs head to the bottom of the lake and the Sox won't?

how again will Cubs head to the bottom of the lake

Poor little rich boy Tom Ricketts on why the Cubs--outspent by the Yankees and Red Sox--haven't acquired a high-profile free agent: "We don't have any more money."

No matter how much, it's never enough.

Last edited:
I'd hold the brakes here. I do share your enthusiasm but lots of things need to happen: bullpen is suspect, Gio may go south, Lopez is Jeckel and Hyde and the defense made some bad errors last year.

Jimenez along with TA and Yoan better stay healthy.

Reactions: McCaravan
Not so sure why you are worried about the Cubs?
Try winning your division first (haven't in the last 12 years)
Worry about the Twins, Tribe, and Royals first.

My 80 year old dad watches both the Cubs and Sox every game. He said 4,3,2,1 years ago the Sox are building. Tonight he said this is their year. I’ll stick with that. Lol

2 front line 1B/DH and 2 frontline Catchers, only 3 guys can start. I’ve got to believe McCann’s getting traded. Sign Castellano’s, deal McCann and someone? for a frontline starter and I’m drinking the KoolAid.

Poor little rich boy Tom Ricketts on why the Cubs--outspent by the Yankees and Red Sox--haven't acquired a high-profile free agent: "We don't have any more money."

No matter how much, it's never enough.

The Big Four as far as payroll are the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs and Dodgers, they have signed a total of one top free agent this year...

Sox are under the cap by a ton, if their ownership wasn't so cheap they would have went after Cole and Strasburg... If you want to discuss cheap ownership, look at your team..

Really? The rest of the league? I am sure the Yankees, Astros, Red Sox, Twins and Indians are shaking in their boots right now as I write this.

Let's not get out in front of our skis on this. A lot of things have to fall into place for the Sox to make a run at the division title. My biggest concern in pitching. Giolito had a good year last season. Can he do that again? Dallas Keuchel is a nice pick up. But he struggles last year. That may be due to his late entry into the league. But, we will see.

I am not sure if your post is more excitement for the Sox or an opportunity to take shots at the Cubs.

It would be nice to see the Sox compete for the post season. I hold little hope for the Cubs to do the same this year.

2 front line 1B/DH and 2 frontline Catchers, only 3 guys can start. I’ve got to believe McCann’s getting traded. Sign Castellano’s, deal McCann and someone? for a frontline starter and I’m drinking the KoolAid.

McCann isn't going anywhere. Perfect backup catcher and spot DH. When Vaughn comes up Abreu moves to DH.

Cubs payroll for 2020 is going to be about $210M, White Sox will be about $140M and will NEVER approach the luxury tax like the Cubs have... SO how again will Cubs head to the bottom of the lake and the Sox won't?

Payroll is only part of the equation. Sox are headed somewhere and the Cubs are standing still. Pretty simple concept, or do you feel like the Cubs are going to contend this year without Bryant and with a 1st time, 1st year manager?

Reactions: Blue Ruin
McCann isn't going anywhere. Perfect backup catcher and spot DH. When Vaughn comes up Abreu moves to DH.
All star backup? I’d prefer to package him in a deal for a front line starter. The team is loaded with DH’s.

I am not sure if your post is more excitement for the Sox or an opportunity to take shots at the Cubs.

One and the same, so both. As any South-Sider will tell you, it's not enough for the Sox to win--the Cubs have to lose. Many fans will take that mindset, ingrained at an early age, with them to the grave.

All star backup? I’d prefer to package him in a deal for a front line starter. The team is loaded with DH’s.

You aren't getting anything in a trade involving McCann. Nothing. Mid-level prospect at best, nothing major league ready.

You aren't getting anything in a trade involving McCann. Nothing. Mid-level prospect at best, nothing major league ready.
They have some good young arms and seemingly an over abundance of starters. Package a couple young arms with McCann maybe another position player prospect?

They have some good young arms and seemingly an over abundance of starters. Package a couple young arms with McCann maybe another position player prospect?

If you get creative yes, but he would be a throw away in any trade scenario. Had a nice year but tailed off, defensively pretty average. Would love to see JHey on the South Side.

The Trib's Paul Sullivan had this to say about McCann today: "McCann’s relationship with Lucas Giolito was instrumental in the pitcher’s resurrection in 2019."

I’m sorry, but McCann is not a good option ever in the DH spot. He simply is not good offensively, save for the first three months of 2019.

Payroll is only part of the equation. Sox are headed somewhere and the Cubs are standing still. Pretty simple concept, or do you feel like the Cubs are going to contend this year without Bryant and with a 1st time, 1st year manager?

Payroll was all I was addressing as he claimed the Cubs were being cheap, which isn't the case..

Looking at the Cubs current roster and contracts, I have no problem with them trading Bryant and whoever else they can't sign an extension to if than can get quality prospects in return..if they can get 4 top 100 guys for Bryant and Quintana, that's a no brainer to me..

Hahn isn't done. Hahn is building a stockpile of options. Hahn knows, as Pace should have known, that hunches work only some of the time, that more than half of all prospects are busts, and that quantity can sometimes beat quality. They say that a swarm of small boats could take down a carrier, even though the U.S. Navy has some fearsome weapons.

Payroll was all I was addressing as he claimed the Cubs were being cheap, which isn't the case..

Looking at the Cubs current roster and contracts, I have no problem with them trading Bryant and whoever else they can't sign an extension to if than can get quality prospects in return..if they can get 4 top 100 guys for Bryant and Quintana, that's a no brainer to me..

With only 1 year left of club control, the haul for Q will be much less than what they paid for him. Bryant, you’d get more for with 2 years left. Either way, they won’t get the return the Sox got for Sale and Q 3 years ago.

..if they can get 4 top 100 guys for Bryant and Quintana, that's a no brainer to me..

That is a no brainer for any Cub fan but not the reality on the open market with limited control over either. Top 100 prospect for Bryant and a middle of the road fielder. Not much market for Quintana now.

One and the same, so both. As any South-Sider will tell you, it's not enough for the Sox to win--the Cubs have to lose. Many fans will take that mindset, ingrained at an early age, with them to the grave.
Which goes to show you how many meatheads are Sox fans. I remember when I used to think that way. Then I matured. But, I never understood how some Sox fans could cackle when the Cardinals swept the Cubs in a mid-July series. I mean, just how does this help the Sox in the standings?

Now that there has been inter-league play for years I want the Cubs to beat the AL Central teams. Any Sox fan with any sense should. But what do the meatheads say? "We don't need help from the Cubs." Wonderful...moron.

I have been a Sox fan for almost 50 years and I have watched both organizations for over 50 years. Know what I think? Over that long period, both organizations are an embarrassment. One WS championship for each. How special. Two total WS championships. Geez, where are we gonna put all the trophies? Would you like me to list all the single teams that have won at least two WS in that time and the ones that have won more? It is pretty long.

The big difference between Cubs and Sox fans is, the Cubs fans don't bother to hope the Sox lose. They have better things to do, like root for their team. Some Sox fans need to try that.

The Cubs/Sox argument is ridiculous. It is like arguing which is the taller midget.

A meathead, by definition, doesn't know he's a meathead. So I wouldn't be too sure that you're as mature as you think you are. I do not cackle at anything, not even Harry Caray or Ron Santo. A little hate is good for the soul. You should try it sometime.

Last edited:
Hahn isn't done. Hahn is building a stockpile of options. Hahn knows, as Pace should have known, that hunches work only some of the time, that more than half of all prospects are busts, and that quantity can sometimes beat quality. They say that a swarm of small boats could take down a carrier, even though the U.S. Navy has some fearsome weapons.
Ah say what?

Shield for Tatis a hunch too?

A meathead, by definition, doesn't know he's a meathead. So I wouldn't be too sure that you're as mature as you think you are. I do not cackle at anything, not even Harry Caray or Ron Santo. A little hate is good for the soul. You should try it sometime.
I guess sarcasm is also good for your soul. Anyway,I am hoping you are being sarcastic.

With only 1 year left of club control, the haul for Q will be much less than what they paid for him. Bryant, you’d get more for with 2 years left. Either way, they won’t get the return the Sox got for Sale and Q 3 years ago.

They also have much more talent on the current roster, so do not need the huge return to become competitive again.. I like the idea of unloading Bryant, getting under the cap for a year, restock the farm and become active again in 2021..

The Sox keep adding bats and arms, signing Steve Cishek from the Cubs in their latest move.

Let me be the first say it. This is a World Series team. Scoff and scorn all you like, but Hahn has assembled a dynasty.

Last edited:
The Sox keep adding bats and arms, signing Steve Cishek from the Cubs in their latest move.

Let me be the first say it. This is a World Series team. Scoff and scorn all you like, but Hahn has assembled a dynasty.
World series team...in maybe 2 years. This is currently a first round exit team.

A dynasty? Cmon, you are getting a little ahead of yourself here. This team won 72 games last year

ADVERTISEMENT