ADVERTISEMENT

The new E Learning

True story on the subject of student requests for tuition reductions due to quality of remote learning compared to in-person. A Chicago private university is scrambling to find a teacher for one of their online courses. Yesterday they contacted a recent young graduate of their institution for the task who is just starting a first-time job at the high school level.

My daughter heard from 2 fourth-year college student friends who were to start remote learning classes this morning. Both experienced a failure of the learning platform to launch. Both in separate private universities in Chicago.

My daughter heard from 2 fourth-year college student friends who were to start remote learning classes this morning. Both experienced a failure of the learning platform to launch. Both in separate private universities in Chicago.

Zoom crashed today.

Reactions: johnndoe
D218 (Eisenhower, Richards and Shepard) put the "indefinitely" tag on the expiration of their all-remote learning as of yesterday.

True story from the Zoom platform of a remote learning class in a public south suburban HS this week. A student displayed a handgun to the rest of the class and the teacher. Where in the discipline section of the Student Handbook might that scenario be covered? By the way and with all due respect, is a full Deans' Office staffed (and funded) during all-remote learning?

• Haha
Reactions: Gene K.
True story from the Zoom platform of a remote learning class in a public south suburban HS this week. A student displayed a handgun to the rest of the class and the teacher. Where in the discipline section of the Student Handbook might that scenario be covered? By the way and with all due respect, is a full Deans' Office staffed (and funded) during all-remote learning?

Yes teaching jobs are set in the spring for the next year. Admin jobs typically a couple months before. That would fall under the weapon or look a like weapon and can lead to suspension (waste of time right now) or removal at most schools.

Reactions: PowerI66
I must have lost track of how far ahead the private schools are regarding in-person learning. Chicago Christian HS (Palos Heights) is in-person M-TH with Friday only remote. The feeder K-8 Southwest Christian School (Tinley Park) is full-time in-person. Most public schools have not even set dates for re-opening. That is some gap.

I must have lost track of how far ahead the private schools are regarding in-person learning. Chicago Christian HS (Palos Heights) is in-person M-TH with Friday only remote. The feeder K-8 Southwest Christian School (Tinley Park) is full-time in-person. Most public schools have not even set dates for re-opening. That is some gap.
I think the private schools are crushing it. St. Peter and Pauls in Naperville is starting their 5th week of all day all week in person learning. Benet is on 4th week of half the school in the building each day. You never know what could go wrong, but so far great work.

I was told the grammar schools in the western suburbs were full and not taking any more transfers because too many public school parents wanted to transfer in to get in person learning. That is great news for these schools. Hopefully in other areas of Chicagoland the private schools are seeing an influx of students.

Deo Gratias for union free Catholic Schools!

Reactions: missingwalter
You hate to see it come about in this manner, but this has benefited many private schools and its a boost that many of them needed. So many were on the verge of dying out.

Question for those who have information on this!: Are teachers in the classrooms teaching via remote or can they stay at home and teach from there? Do different school districts have different requirements from other districts. Does every school district sets it's own parameters on teacher requirements?

Question for those who have information on this!: Are teachers in the classrooms teaching via remote or can they stay at home and teach from there? Do different school districts have different requirements from other districts. Does every school district sets it's own parameters on teacher requirements?
To your last question, yes. School districts are doing different things, but most I've come across still have to report to their schools every morning.

Mount Carmel is on its third week of going full time in person 5 days a week.... so far so good...I’m hearing they are extremely spread out but whatever they are doing it’s working.

Anyone hear about attendance rates for E-learning in the CPS? Last spring there were a lot of no shows! How about other school districts. I got sseveral kids across the street who are playing basketball and outside most of the day? Unless they have only 2 hours of school, something is wrong!

Anyone hear about attendance rates for E-learning in the CPS? Last spring there were a lot of no shows! How about other school districts. I got sseveral kids across the street who are playing basketball and outside most of the day? Unless they have only 2 hours of school, something is wrong!

Day 1 of CPS attendance was down 10% over the last 5 years, I’m sure the numbers are getting worse not better.

Better, by FAR, for my district. Grades are down a bit though, which is not as surprising.

I teach at St. Viator and we have been in the classroom for 4 weeks now. Kids have been great to deal with as far as keeping masks on properly, disinfecting surfaces and social distancing.

I teach at St. Viator and we have been in the classroom for 4 weeks now. Kids have been great to deal with as far as keeping masks on properly, disinfecting surfaces and social distancing.
Didn’t you guys get shut down for a bit?

Next week is Geneva’s 4th week of in person classes. Half the building comes every other day.

It is hard to ignore a pattern emerging relative to public school districts gradually testing out various degrees of in-person learning as October approaches. Re-opening seems to following certain geographic and/or demographic lines here in NE Illinois. I wonder if a continuation in this direction will be sustainable, but that would depend upon the voices of the parent constituencies.

And here it is. I think schools and parents need to be prepared for shutdowns like this.
It's going to happen at a LOT of schools. It's really astonishing how easily this is spread. I'm not saying it's a problem for everyone but I think we would be wrong to ignore the spreadability of this virus.

And here it is. I think schools and parents need to be prepared for shutdowns like this.
It's going to happen at a LOT of schools. It's really astonishing how easily this is spread. I'm not saying it's a problem for everyone but I think we would be wrong to ignore the spreadability of this virus.
I see it as good news that schools are actively managing their fluid situations to their community’s eventual benefit.

I agree it would be wrong to ignore the virus’ transmission rate as it would be wrong to ignore the human body’s recovery rate from said virus. Or better stated from people more knowledgeable than me on this virus:

https://gbdeclaration.org/

Focused Protection

I strenuously disagree with this premise and many of the quoted statements in that article, but I am glad to see they are just doing it for 2 weeks with the intent of starting back up again.

Mount Carmel has been going full time in school since classes began in August. So far, so good.

I think St Viator did the right thing.
However, it seems they aren't being too specific with the number of cases they are dealing with.

I think St Viator did the right thing.
However, it seems they aren't being too specific with the number of cases they are dealing with.
It's hard with hippa laws.

On the other end, There is a district in the northwest burbs that has a Covid Database. It tells you the data on exposures, positive cases, quarantines, on both the staff and student levels. It's pretty amazing.

It's hard with hippa laws.

On the other end, There is a district in the northwest burbs that has a Covid Database. It tells you the data on exposures, positive cases, quarantines, on both the staff and student levels. It's pretty amazing.
HIPAA, not HIPPA

So get this. Many suburban public school districts are starting to trickle students into the buildings to the tune of 25% at a time, for example. The "in-person" learning supposed to occur in these classrooms may NOT really be happening. It is being found by students that beyond the teacher and them physically being in the same room, interaction is not actually in place. This is largely due to the continued responsibility the teacher has in monitoring the activities of the 75% of the class at home remotely, making he/she un-available to the students in attendance in the room. I know a teacher who is down to 2 students in one class on one of the days after the rest returned to all remote for the rest of the semester due to these conditions.

Last edited:
So get this. Many suburban public school districts are starting to trickle students into the buildings to the tune of 25% at a time, for example. The "in-person" learning supposed to occur in these classrooms may NOT really be happening. It is being found by students that beyond the teacher and them physically being in the same room, interaction is not actually in place. This is largely due to the continued responsibility the teacher has in monitoring the activities of the 75% of the class at home remotely, making he/she available to the students in attendance in the room. I know a teacher who is down to 2 students in one class on one of the days after the rest returned to all remote for the rest of the semester due to these conditions.
Is this from an article or is this from a first hand account?

I was told one school attempting to bring back students had 40% of the students and about 40% of the teachers opt out.

Fair point sir, but where there's smoke, there's usually fire.
Could be. It's just very complex as districts are attacking the hybrid scenario in very different ways. Plus then there are other factors like class size, class type, technology implemented, etc. Very complex issue

Reactions: johnndoe
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT