ADVERTISEMENT

"The Last Dance" - What IL HS Football Documentary Would You Like To See?

The unraveling of the 2020 season, should it not be held or unrecognizably altered. It could be told through the eyes of selected athletes, coaches, media, ADs, IHSA officials, etc.

Reactions: Wassup13
The rise of the Phillips football program
Ehhh. Wildcats have been covered now for what 2-3 different times already....also remember this is HS so you won't ever get the access the pro's allow.

Loyola is one that I I'd like to see....and I know we've been turned down more than once for High School Lites....

Reactions: Schwab54
Ehhh. Wildcats have been covered now for what 2-3 different times already....also remember this is HS so you won't ever get the access the pro's allow.

Loyola is one that I I'd like to see....and I know we've been turned down more than once for High School Lites....
Was there ever a period where Loyola was an easy win in the CCL? I remember them getting to the last of the Friday afternoon Channel 7 Prep Bowls (1986, 1987s was preempted by the Harold Washington funeral) and always being a contender in whatever conference division they were placed in since.

How a school which was in its first year developed an all junior Team that was the first in Illinois history to make the playoffs in their first year,

This year, with all of this pandemic mess, the development / evolution of the Rich Township schools with closing East...maybe this would be 'The First Dance'...?

Maybe the death knell of the SVC...maybe week 1 (preseason) is a history of the tiny schools that make up the now consolidated districts of Iroquois, Vermillion & Ford Counties, football playing or not back in the day. Week 2 is the season preview. Weeks 3 - 9 is a focus each week on one of the current schools for 40 minutes of an hour program, 20 minutes on current this week events & games. Week 10 is the playoffs & future...

would need to be a smaller schools for the best story. would love to see a smaller 1a/2a from farming community with history of success. Maybe Carthage?

How about the Leonard family documentary.

The Gordie Gillespie or Red Grange documentary

I’d like something about a farm community with a strong football tradition. Maybe a Geneseo or Lena Winslow.

Reactions: Bowie50
Tinley Park's magical 4A state title run in 1986
  • 25 players on this 4A team when 6 classes at the time
  • 5 regular season shut-outs
  • 2-2 to start season, followed by 10-game run
  • 2 road wins to start playoffs by 7 and 5 points
  • starting QB never played FB before being plucked out of PE class
  • state wrestling champ at FB/MLB
  • Iowa SS starter at TE/OLB
do make for some interesting story lines.

Three Falls of Bloomington

Gordie Gillespie and his coaching tree (which includes Senffner and Sharp among many others, so just an incredible number of wins and lives impacted).

Mayhem at the Zoo

JC vs MC from the late 80s to early 00s

the Dergo game ....hopefully it would delve into the Morris angst of 90, 99, 01, 03, and 04 before going into the JC angst over Dergos dominance

Rise and fall of the Catholic Metropolitan Conference

End of the Frank Lenti Era

just a few off the top of my head...

Unfortunately so many great high school stories and the aftermath are tied to demographics.

That said, Ziegler Royalton state championship.
WeGo state championship.
LA’s ‘65, ‘66 championships.
Deerfield ‘75.
East Leyden.
‘72 Little Flower, undefeated and winning the league for first time in their final year.

Reactions: Blue Ruin and mmca
How a school which was in its first year developed an all junior Team that was the first in Illinois history to make the playoffs in their first year,

Actually, the story of the Lockport they beat would be much more entertaining.

the Dergo game ....hopefully it would delve into the Morris angst of 90, 99, 01, 03, and 04 before going into the JC angst over Dergos dominance
Just beat me to it. From all the stories I hear, having one on Dan Darlington at Morris or Plainfield North would be more than interesting.

I would go with John Thorne and how he built WWS into a state power, the battles with him and Rexlius at WN in the 80's are legendary and his run of six title game appearances in eight years in the 90's is pretty amazing considering he where the program was when he started.

If you want to go further with him you go into his days at NCC where he took over a program that had never had back to back 8 wins seasons and an all time record of 319-362-32, he promptly went 118-30 in 13 years and built them into a national power.

After thirty years of smash-mouth, power-I football, Glenn Schott goes to the Air for his last 20 seasons at the helm.

There were gasps of shock when the QB accumulated more yards than an Althoff starting tailback.

End of the Frank Lenti era would probably have an outside longshot of being an actual ESPN 30 for 30 with all the drama that came with it...ending with Lynch leading them to the 2019 title. Must see TV!

ADVERTISEMENT