ADVERTISEMENT

The IMG of Chicago

Emanuel put a new $13.2 million gym for Phillips into the CPS infrastructure budget released last July. That came two weeks after Koldyke contributed $10,000 to Emanuel’s campaign fund...................

Remember the IHSA has taken over ruling on CPS residency issues. That may be a full time job for a dozen retired Illinois State Troopers and retired Chicago Police officers.

As Long as Phillips finally admits they aren't a Chicago neighborhood school and they are playing by a completely different set of rules than the majority of CPS, then good for them. Own it and everyone will be better off.

It's the future, just let AUSL handle all sports management within CPS, with football offered at a much smaller # of schools than the other sports. Depending on how it would go for the now 8A (they'd better be) football campuses, you could see calls for a 3 way split of the highest class - 8A privates, 8B large public socio/participion challenged, and 8C large suburban/high participation CPS.

I’m curious to know how so many people can argue against success factor and the multiplier for private schools, but then turn around and argue that CPS schools should have to play up because of their population density. Aren’t they drawing from the same kids and populace? Also, what is the population cutoff before it’s considered an advantage over the rest of the state?

Reactions: Cross Bones
I’m curious to know how so many people can argue against success factor and the multiplier for private schools, but then turn around and argue that CPS schools should have to play up because of their population density. Aren’t they drawing from the same kids and populace? Also, what is the population cutoff before it’s considered an advantage over the rest of the state?

O boy!

I don’t think it’s so much the success factor or multiplier (at least not on my end, I’m glad MC plays in 7A/8A), I think it's that Phillips is an open boundary school that masquerades as a neighborhood school. Phillips has the ability to pull from the entire city and has zero tuition.

I don’t think it’s so much the success factor or multiplier (at least not on my end, I’m glad MC plays in 7A/8A), I think it's that Phillips is an open boundary school that masquerades as a neighborhood school. Phillips has the ability to pull from the entire city (AND OFF OF OTHER HIGH SCHOOL ROSTERS) and has zero tuition.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s so much the success factor or multiplier (at least not on my end, I’m glad MC plays in 7A/8A), I think it's that Phillips is an open boundary school that masquerades as a neighborhood school. Phillips has the ability to pull from the entire city and has zero tuition.
This is exactly the argument.

So you mean they can pull from about a 30 mile radius?

Reactions: CPSFan
LCN,

I see where you’re coming from, but there is a bit of a difference since there is no tuition, parent pledge, fund raising, ...etc associated. That said I will give them credit for playing up provided it was not to avoid IC or the typically tough 5A bracket. Honestly I was surprised they went to 6A, but I believe that if everyone was subject to the SF then there would be little arguement to be had. How about we start with Rochester!

LCN,

I see where you’re coming from, but there is a bit of a difference since there is no tuition, parent pledge, fund raising, ...etc associated. That said I will give them credit for playing up provided it was not to avoid IC or the typically tough 5A bracket. Honestly I was surprised they went to 6A, but I believe that if everyone was subject to the SF then there would be little arguement to be had. How about we start with Rochester!

Rochester has never won 4A with 5A or above talent. They did have Lunt for a few years but the talent around him wasn't that great. Although I don't really agree with the success factor as a whole, I do recognize there is a difference in talent levels for some team versus others but Rochester is not comparable.

LCN,

Rochester plays within the rules of a vast majority of the IHSA member schools, in other words what the bus drops off.

And you should not be allowed to use the word honestly on this forum, though is comical you said it.

JW

See your point. I guess Phillips flys under the radar to me somewhat because they do play up.

What they do in football is far more egregious in basketball. Don’t know how to fix it.

Reactions: USD24
Why Phillips basketball doesn't wear the Harlem Globetrotters uniforms is a mystery.

Sure, but also with zero tuition or fund raising pledge. I get that they played up last year and maybe the year before that too (not positive) but I’m not sure that was for the challenge of playing bigger schools (like ESL) or if it was to avoid Rochester

Sure, but also with zero tuition or fund raising pledge. I get that they played up last year and maybe the year before that too (not positive) but I’m not sure that was for the challenge of playing bigger schools (like ESL) or if it was to avoid Rochester
How does a team that schedules Loyola, Richards, Fenwick when they were loaded, Pickerington, etc... get accused of “running” from anyone. Their non conference schedule has been the exact opposite of avoiding competition.

Reactions: AmbroseBlack
How does a team that schedules Loyola, Richards, Fenwick when they were loaded, Pickerington, etc... get accused of “running” from anyone. Their non conference schedule has been the exact opposite of avoiding competition.
It doesnt make sense. It only comes from someone who, due to the arbitrary nature of private enrollment, thinks public enrollment is similar. Moving to to 6A to avoid Rochester is like hopping in the middle of a killer whale pod to avoid a betta fish.

When you know you’re winning your conference and making the playoffs, regular season losses mean little. In the playoffs a loss means your season is over. I didn’t suggest they were avoiding all competition, just one team that they haven’t beaten before and whose offensive game plan can counter their zero coverage all out blitz defensive scheme.

It doesnt make sense. It only comes from someone who, due to the arbitrary nature of private enrollment, thinks public enrollment is similar. Moving to to 6A to avoid Rochester is like hopping in the middle of a killer whale pod to avoid a betta fish.
Phillips enrollment is similar to a small private school. They do not have boundaries and can pull kids from the entire city. In fact in the article originally posted it quotes someone as saying that Coach Lou can get talented basketball players from all over Chicago to come to Phillips.

Phillips enrollment is similar to a small private school. They do not have boundaries and can pull kids from the entire city. In fact in the article originally posted it quotes someone as saying that Coach Lou can get talented basketball players from all over Chicago to come to Phillips.
Sure. But moving to 6A to avoid Rochester doesn't make sense on any level. Going to a more difficult class to avoid any school is counterproductive.

ADVERTISEMENT