ADVERTISEMENT

The Curse of the Bambino was a mere head cold !!

Original thought.

I hear or read this at least once per day. It's interesting how often Cub fans belittle Sox fans by doing exactly what they say Sox fans do. Special little flowers.

FYI, I love this Cub team. I just wish the fans could be sent to a different planet.
I have been wishing the same thing for decades. Well, most of them anyway.

If it's true baseball players have superior hand/eye coordination over everybody else, then why have they only landed about 3 punches during baseball mele's over the last 15 years?

Wassup

If it's true baseball players have superior hand/eye coordination over everybody else, then why have they only landed about 3 punches during baseball mele's over the last 15 years?

Wassup
Hahaha! I know you're being sarcastic here.

The fact is, the average big league hitter has 20/12 vision, which is outstanding. But delivering a punch, avoiding a punch or defending a punch is more than just 20/12/sight. Peripheral vision is critical. That's vision outside the gaze. If you take a close look at the video, I really don't think Bautista ever saw the punch coming. There was no reaction by him until he was hit. Because he was wearing sunglasses it is impossible to know where Bautista was looking. But I guarantee you he was focused on something in particular instead of looking straight ahead. People do argue about that theory however. Maybe he was surprised Odor even threw the punch. Give Odor credit for throwing a quick punch too.

But both of Bautista's hands are down and he's wide open for the good, solid straight right Odor threw. That tells me that it's probably true Odor has most likely been in a few more fights than Bautista. Odor was ready to go right now. Bautista came forward with an open left hand but failed to see the right hand of Odor.

Odor left an opening to be counter punched when he threw the right as his left hand was down. However, the most important thing in this one was, Odor was ready to go in the blink of an eye and Bautista wasn't. That's all the advantage one guy needs over another most of the time.

You don't see many punches connecting because most baseball players really don't know how to fist fight. Baseball fights are mostly a bunch of guys grabbing each other or tackling each other and throwing each other to the ground where wrestling skills take over.

My advice for Bautista is, if he plans on getting into another fist fight in the future he had better learn how to defend himself.

I predicted at the beginning of the year the Cubs would go 104-52 but they are currently on pace to win 128 games. So I am way off so far.

Also predicted the White Sox to finish in last place. They are in 1st place. I knew Danks would be a problem.They should have gotten rid of him 4-5 years ago. Still think they are suspect with their 4th and 5th starters and I think they have average players at best up the middle of the field (C, SS, 2B, CF), Hopefully I'm wrong and they keep winning.

Wassup

The Sox now lost 7 games in a row. They have good pitchers 1-3 but beyond that they have nobody and no run support. And like I said the middle fielders are suspect even though it may be improved a bit going into this year but they are all average at best at C, 2B, SS and CF. And the backups on the bench are no good.

Like I predicted before this club is headed to the bottom of their division. They are not worth paying to see. It's hard for me to say as a Sox fan.

Wassup

Back in March I said the Royals would win the AL central. Didn't need to go out on a limb. They are the best team. After that I think the Sox, Indians and Tigers are all close. So, the Sox could end up in 2nd place or they could end up in 4th place. All three of those teams are interchangeable.

The Royals open up a big 4 game series in Cleveland tonight and the Sox play in Detroit starting tomorrow night. We could see some movement in the division.

Wassup, in reading your last post, this is why Cub fans accuse Sox fans of being fair weather. I am not jumping ship. There is no reason to, now. As long as the Sox are in the thick of the AL central race and staying close to a wild card spot, I am watching and going to games. I have seen two so far.

If anyone would have told me in March that the Sox would be four games over .500, in second place, 2 games out on June 2nd, I would have taken it. So, I'll take it.

Last edited:
Back in March I said the Royals would win the AL central. Didn't need to go out on a limb. They are the best team. After that I think the Sox, Indians and Tigers are all close. So, the Sox could end up in 2nd place or they could end up in 4th place. All three of those teams are interchangeable.

The Royals open up a big 4 game series in Cleveland tonight and the Sox play in Detroit starting tomorrow night. We could see some movement in the division.

Wassup, in reading your last post, this is why Cub fans accuse Sox fans of being fair weather. I am not jumping ship. There is no reason to, now. As long as the Sox are in the thick of the AL central race and staying close to a wild card spot, I am watching and going to games. I have seen two so far.

If anyone would have told me in March that the Sox would be four games over .500, in second place, 2 games out on June 2nd, I would have taken it. So, I'll take it.
Add in the Indians just lost Byrd for maybe forever weakens them a bit. I thought preseason 87 wins would be a good year they are on pace to beat that

By the way, the AL Central really sucks right now. The way it's going, and if nothing were to change, Cleveland could win the division with 83 wins. Sad.

By the way, the AL Central really sucks right now. The way it's going, and if nothing were to change, Cleveland could win the division with 83 wins. Sad.
Yeah nobody wants to win Sox could make it interesting if they sweep KC

White Sox say you can have Chris Sale for 5 prospects,

Cub fans we will give you a "same city discount" for only 4 players - We will take Bryant, Baez, Russell & Schwarber.

How bout it?

White Sox say you can have Chris Sale for 5 prospects,

Cub fans we will give you a "same city discount" for only 4 players - We will take Bryant, Baez, Russell & Schwarber.

How bout it?
That seems like an awfully high price to pay for a tailor.

Reactions: eireog
I get that the Sox don't want to trade away guys like Sale and Quintana, but if you get a kings ransom - no good pitching on the open market, you almost have to. You could pillage teams like the Cubs, Red Sox, Nationals and Dodgers who need pitching badly .

Final Offer....

Sale and Frazier for Bryant, Baez, Russell, Schwarber, draft pick.

Wassup

When is Joe Madden from the Cubs going to grow a mustache?

Doesn't he know no leader of a professional sports team in Chicago can win a championship without having a mustache? (Ditka, Guillen, Jackson, and Quenneville)

Wassup

Cmon Cubbies this is our year!!!!! I cant stop singing Go Cubs Go
What did you think of Hahn's relative inaction at the trade deadline? At what point do the Sox make some bold moves so they don't remain "mired in mediocrity"? Not sure what the plan is on the Southside. Then again, Reinsdorf organizations seem content to be mediocre, as evidenced by the Bulls moves in this offseason as well.

What did you think of Hahn's relative inaction at the trade deadline? At what point do the Sox make some bold moves so they don't remain "mired in mediocrity"? Not sure what the plan is on the Southside. Then again, Reinsdorf organizations seem content to be mediocre, as evidenced by the Bulls moves in this offseason as well.

The only thing I remember the White Sox doing at the end of each year is trading for a 35 year old star in the last couple of years of his career for 1-2 good prospects in their system. They have been doing this going back to when they got Ken Griffey Jr way back when and every year since.

That's why the Sox never are better then mediocrity. They trade all their prospects away for has been stars.

Wassup

The only thing I remember the White Sox doing at the end of each year is trading for a 35 year old star in the last couple of years of his career for 1-2 good prospects in their system. They have been doing this going back to when they got Ken Griffey Jr way back when and every year since.

That's why the Sox never are better then mediocrity. They trade all their prospects away for has been stars.

Wassup
Yup, Kenny loves chasing stars past their prime he always coveted.

Tues Nov 1-Nov 8 could potentially be darkest week of my life.

Four things have to happen for the Sox to turn things around in the organization.

1. Reinsdorf has to sell the team outside the family.
2. Kenny Williams has to be fired
3. Rick Hahn has to be fired.
4. Robin Ventura has to be fired.

If any of these things don't happen, nothing in that organization will change. In other words...nothing is going to change.

You can fire Williams, Hahn and Ventura and nothing will change. Reinsdorf will simply replace them with new puppets. Reinsdorf is the main problem and has been for many years. But they all have to go.

Four things have to happen for the Sox to turn things around in the organization.

1. Reinsdorf has to sell the team outside the family.
2. Kenny Williams has to be fired
3. Rick Hahn has to be fired.
4. Robin Ventura has to be fired.

If any of these things don't happen, nothing in that organization will change. In other words...nothing is going to change.

You can fire Williams, Hahn and Ventura and nothing will change. Reinsdorf will simply replace them with new puppets. Reinsdorf is the main problem and has been for many years. But they all have to go.
I would love a total house cleaning

Hinsdale man who runs Guaranteed Rate loves park name controversy

Aspirations to take the business world by storm began when Ciardelli was 10 and his parents bought the Oak Brook home of Wayne Huizenga, the man behind Waste Management, Blockbuster Video and Auto Nation.

"I knew of Wayne and what he was able to do, growing a garbage hauling business into a Fortune 500 company, then repeating that success with Blockbuster," Ciardelli said. "I honestly thought it showed what someone ...with ambition and drive could accomplish. I thought at a young age, 'Why can't I be the same?'"

Ciardelli, now a 50-year-old father of four, says he stumbled a bit -- first as a poor student at Montini Catholic High School in Lombard (where he played football and basketball, but not baseball) and later struggling with a mortgage services company he founded in 1992.

Ciardelli eventually retooled his business model and in 2000 started a new company, called Guaranteed Rate, focusing on a three-pronged business strategy -- low overhead and automation to provide homebuyers with lower rates; resources and coaching to help real estate partners build their own businesses; and training, technology and a work environment designed to help loan officers close more loans.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20160826/sports/160829079/

Reactions: Gene K.
I predicted at the beginning of the year the Cubs would go 104-52 but they are currently on pace to win 128 games. So I am way off so far.

Also predicted the White Sox to finish in last place. They are in 1st place. I knew Danks would be a problem.They should have gotten rid of him 4-5 years ago. Still think they are suspect with their 4th and 5th starters and I think they have average players at best up the middle of the field (C, SS, 2B, CF), Hopefully I'm wrong and they keep winning.

Wassup

If the Cubs win the last 3 of 5 games then I hit on my beginning of the year prediction that they would win 104 games this year.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/standings

Wassup

So the Cubs win the WS and the Sox finish as expected. No silly crosstown trade and life is good. I am saying the Cubs win WS again in 2017.

So the Cubs win the WS and the Sox finish as expected. No silly crosstown trade and life is good. I am saying the Cubs win WS again in 2017.
Corey:

I am waiting to make my WS pick until spring training is going on or nearly over. Last year I and Wassup were the only ones here to pick the Cubs to win it all. Some of the rest were either worried about jinxing the team, goats, curses, or were just too scared to make the pick...or who knows what their excuse was?

Nice to see you have jumped up first because repeating is harder than winning the first one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT