ADVERTISEMENT

The Corey/Wassup Celebration

Dr. Mirakle

Aug 21, 2013
With Jay Cutler officially gone from the Bears, I am wondering where these two will go to celebrate and who is buying the first round. Hahaha!!

And alshon gone too. Bears missed all their FA targets. People may be happy about cutty but they sure didn't get any better. Gonna be a looooong road for awhile.

Bears would have sucked with or without Cutler. Baseball season is right around the corner and the Blackhawks are the hottest team in the NHL. People will be giving their tickets away this year.

Reactions: Dr. Mirakle
Missed this thread. Thought the announcement should have been in the never ending "No Cutler" thread. Oh well...

Bears would have sucked with or without Cutler. Baseball season is right around the corner and the Blackhawks are the hottest team in the NHL. People will be giving their tickets away this year.
Then what the hell are you doing with that damned Pittsburgh Penguins emblem on the cup??? Hahaha!!! The Cutler haters are getting what they want. Let's see how this works out. Stay tuned.

While I don't think Cutler lived up to his potential, I understand he asked for the release. If that is true I don't blame him. If some of the fans have had enough of him, he has definitely had enough of the Bears. To me, Cutler is the result of a Bears organization that is and has been in chaos for years.

Reactions: Gene K. and NNFAN
Cutler was certainly a disappointment, but it wasn't his fault the Bears gave up a king's ransom for him. It wasn't his fault for having one of the worst O-Lines in football and at times getting sacked 8-9 times in a half. It wasn't his fault he tore an MCL in the NFC title game. It wasn't his fault that Devin Hester was his #1 receiver. It wasn't his fault that for the past ten years, the Bears continued to show the NFL how not to utilize the draft. It's not his fault that Chris Conte was always busy being in other people's highlight tapes.
Cutler was not part of any solution, but merely one small part of a giant disaster.

It was his fault that he locked in on one receiver too often and threw way too many INT's. It was his fault that he had virtually no pocket awareness and fumbled too often when getting sacked. It was his fault that he never seemed to work on his mechanics, which were poor when he got to Chicago and are still poor, as he departs. And most of all, it was his fault that he was an absolutely terrible leader in a position that requires leadership.

Reactions: doctor_d
Oh my, Hell has just frozen over, I agree with PJJP !

It was his fault that he locked in on one receiver too often and threw way too many INT's. It was his fault that he had virtually no pocket awareness and fumbled too often when getting sacked. It was his fault that he never seemed to work on his mechanics, which were poor when he got to Chicago and are still poor, as he departs. And most of all, it was his fault that he was an absolutely terrible leader in a position that requires leadership.

But theses were things that were known before he even came to the Bears yet they still gave up a ton to get him and had no plan to correct them. The lack of stability in the organization killed his career.

I would like anyone to name me a QB during the time period Cutler was here who would have won. The Bears organization is a disaster and is in disarray now.

If you want to know how bad it is, look at the free agents who don't want to come here. That says a lot more than anything Cutler did in a negative way. We are dealing with an organization that no player of any value wants to play for.

If anyone here is silly enough to think Mike Glennon will be an upgrade or equal to Cutler please step up and make your voice heard. By the way, the last game he played was against Cleveland...and he lost.

This is supposed to be a football board with guys who know some football. Yet we still have a few here who, to this day, place the majority of the Bears failures on Cutler. That is just plain ignorance.

Cutler deserves his share of the blame. I don't disagree with that. And I agree that it certainly didn't work out. But certainly, the majority of criticism doesn't belong to Cutler. But hang on, these are the same guys who will place the majority of criticism on the next QB, just like they probably did to the QBs of the past.

And when guys like me say things like this, the Cutler haters come out and say we are Cutler apologists or Cutler lovers. That's not it at all. Guys like me are able to look at the big picture more clearly.

Fact is, the Bears organization, since the 80s, really hasn't accomplished much at all. This didn't just start yesterday. And to be honest, when I think of those Bears teams of the 80s the first thing I think of is underachievement and disappointment, including McMahon.

But theses were things that were known before he even came to the Bears yet they still gave up a ton to get him and had no plan to correct them. The lack of stability in the organization killed his career.
Agreed. They overpaid for him and overrated his abilities. Having numerous offensive coordinators and systems did not help his career. And the Bears' organization does not develop QB's. However, the Cutler apologists fail to acknowledge that his biggest shortcoming was his lack of leadership. You simply cannot have his personality and approach (unwillingness to improve poor mechanics) and be a good NFL QB. The INT's, the fumbles etc. are all secondary to his inability to provide any type of decent leadership to the team. It's best for him and the team to move on. It should have happened earlier. His contract kept him around longer than need be for all concerned.

I would like anyone to name me a QB during the time period Cutler was here who would have won. The Bears organization is a disaster and is in disarray now.

If you want to know how bad it is, look at the free agents who don't want to come here. That says a lot more than anything Cutler did in a negative way. We are dealing with an organization that no player of any value wants to play for.

If anyone here is silly enough to think Mike Glennon will be an upgrade or equal to Cutler please step up and make your voice heard. By the way, the last game he played was against Cleveland...and he lost.

This is supposed to be a football board with guys who know some football. Yet we still have a few here who, to this day, place the majority of the Bears failures on Cutler. That is just plain ignorance.

Cutler deserves his share of the blame. I don't disagree with that. And I agree that it certainly didn't work out. But certainly, the majority of criticism doesn't belong to Cutler. But hang on, these are the same guys who will place the majority of criticism on the next QB, just like they probably did to the QBs of the past.

And when guys like me say things like this, the Cutler haters come out and say we are Cutler apologists or Cutler lovers. That's not it at all. Guys like me are able to look at the big picture more clearly.

Fact is, the Bears organization, since the 80s, really hasn't accomplished much at all. This didn't just start yesterday. And to be honest, when I think of those Bears teams of the 80s the first thing I think of is underachievement and disappointment, including McMahon.
I agree with pretty much this whole post. I will take on one point.... in a very cautious manner.

Will Glennon be an upgrade to Cutler? I don't feel certain enough to say definitively it will happen, but I think there's some outcomes on the bell curve of probabilities where Glennon outproduces what Cutler would have. Glennon was below average his first few years, but as a third round pick was not awful. With a few years of development, he may improve and give league average production. Jay, while inconsistent game to game was giving at least league average prodiction, if slightly better some years, for his term in Chicago. Last year in limited action, he was well below average and had a pretty serious injury to his throwing shoulder. So a quick decline in Cutlers abilities is a definite possibilty. So a declining Cutler and improving Glennon could leave us better off.

That said, I think the best way to look at Cutlers 8 years is wasted opportunity. We had good/great defenses only 3 of those years; 2010-12. We went 29-14 in that stretch when Cutler was the starting QB and got only one playoff W and a NFCC appeareance out of that due to a confluence of bad luck (missed playoffs in a 10-6 season, and went 1-6(!) without Cutler in that span). Then the defense fell off, and we are just now 4 years later, maybe getting close to being a good D again. In that span, we did get one great offense and a ton of disfunctional (1 GM and two coaches later). But the 2010-12 years were fun, and after the D fell apart from the old guard, the only enjoyable games were when Jay turned it on... there wasnt many other reasons to tune in otherwise from 13-16, despite that fact he could also make you turn off the TV in disgust and just go mow the lawn at other times.

Wish him the best. Hope he can end up in a better situation than the Jets. 8 years of mismanagement is enough for anyone! Hoping for Romo to DEN and Cutler to HOU. Both of those teams would be fun to watch with those guys at QB and those D's.

Agreed. They overpaid for him and overrated his abilities. Having numerous offensive coordinators and systems did not help his career. And the Bears' organization does not develop QB's. However, the Cutler apologists fail to acknowledge that his biggest shortcoming was his lack of leadership. You simply cannot have his personality and approach (unwillingness to improve poor mechanics) and be a good NFL QB. The INT's, the fumbles etc. are all secondary to his inability to provide any type of decent leadership to the team. It's best for him and the team to move on. It should have happened earlier. His contract kept him around longer than need be for all concerned.
Man, the leadership complaints are bull with no basis in reality.

Hey Doc, we get it. The Bears are a poor organization, and it starts with the ownership. Look at the Chicago sports landscape. What organizations are currently successful? The Hawks and the Cubs. Did the ownership change of Rocky Wirtz succeeding Bill and Tom Ricketts buying the Cubs impact those franchises in a positive manner? It's rather obvious, don't you think? Rocky brought in Stan Bowman, and Ricketts hired Theo Epstein. And they both have the good sense to stay out of hockey and baseball decisions and concentrate on the business end. Quality ownership = improved results in both cases. And the Bears' ownership is obviously a disaster. This is not earth shattering news.

Reactions: Snetsrak61
Man, the leadership complaints are bull with no basis in reality.
Here is an excerpt from the linked Tribune article. It's one example of attempting to be a good QB leader. Can you see Cutler doing anything close to this?

On Glennon’s leadership qualities …

I'll tell you a quick story. Yesterday afternoon, I was talking to him and the first question he asked is right away, ‘Hey, so when I get in obviously I want to get the playbook. And can I get all the tape downloaded on an iPad?’ He asked, ‘Can I (also) have pictures of everybody in the building who I'm going to interact with – with their names, everybody in the building. Can I have the cell phones of every single player on offense and certain guys on defense?’ So right away I think that tells you something about a guy when that's kind of his mindset before he even walks in the building.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...rs-ryan-pace-mike-glennon-20170310-story.html

Here is an excerpt from the linked Tribune article. It's one example of attempting to be a good QB leader. Can you see Cutler doing anything close to this?

On Glennon’s leadership qualities …

I'll tell you a quick story. Yesterday afternoon, I was talking to him and the first question he asked is right away, ‘Hey, so when I get in obviously I want to get the playbook. And can I get all the tape downloaded on an iPad?’ He asked, ‘Can I (also) have pictures of everybody in the building who I'm going to interact with – with their names, everybody in the building. Can I have the cell phones of every single player on offense and certain guys on defense?’ So right away I think that tells you something about a guy when that's kind of his mindset before he even walks in the building.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...rs-ryan-pace-mike-glennon-20170310-story.html
I cant say, but it does not at all surprise me that that Glennon puff piece is going to highlight that. When Jay got here, he was a Pro Bowler, so all the puff pieces focused on that. I don't think any such story would have sold as well. Glennon doesnt have quite the talent track record to fall back on so those are the stories were gonna get.

Lets be real, of guys who have played with Cutler, its mostly Briggs and Urlacher who dont seam to like him. Otherwise its mostly talking heads like Steven A.

Now obviously Urlacher and Briggs are all time great defenders, so you on some level respect their football thoughts, but another all time great defender in John Lynch has had very positive things to say about Cutler, as have pretty much all his offensive teammates throughout his career. Granted Jay threw less interceptions as a teammate of Lynch (Shannahan knew how to use/protect Jay), so he probably had less reason to have animosity lol.

Theres clearly some personality conflict with those guys, but to extend that to say Cutler is a bad leader is a false equivocation, IMO.

I think Jay isn't the "leader" many want him to be. As emotionally invested as fans are, Jay doesn't show that, and the media loves framing his sourpuss face however. There's two sides to a coin though, and people love to say a QB has to have a short memory, and I think Jays even keeled demeanor is part of that, as he can make a bonehead pick and generally put out a stinker of a performance through 3 quarters and still come and lead a 4th Q comeback or game winning drive, as he did many times.

Is he an example of wasted potential? Yea, he had the physical ability that all but a few would love. He was still a pretty decent QB.

Pjjp
You nailed it in this post.
Dr. I never said in any of my posts the only reason the Bears are terrible was solely on Cutler. I repeatedly said they won't ever win with him. Cutler was never going to win anything in Chicago or in my opinion anywhere he goes. So far I have been spot on. The Bears need a lot of help in many areas including ownership. At least now we can move on and start over. Maybe they don't fix the QB spot and we still lose? So what! We were never going to win with Cutler. He was no leader or even a good teammate. Cutler will not succeed no matter where he lands. Let's watch how it all plays out. I say good ridden.

Pjjp
Dr. I never said in any of my posts the only reason the Bears are terrible was solely on Cutler. I repeatedly said they won't ever win with him. Cutler was never going to win anything in Chicago or in my opinion anywhere he goes. So far I have been spot on. The Bears need a lot of help in many areas including ownership. At least now we can move on and start over. Maybe they don't fix the QB spot and we still lose? So what! We were never going to win with Cutler. He was no leader or even a good teammate. Cutler will not succeed no matter where he lands. Let's watch how it all plays out. I say good ridden.
Weak. Individuals don't win anything anyways. I watched those Bears team from 10-12 and they were a top 5 team with Cutler at QB and that was with a weak Oline and basically nothing at WR for the first two years of that stretch, and an awful OC when they finally got a real WR. Spot on? Puh-lease. Whats the criteria to "win with Cutler", anyways? They did make to an NFC championship and post a 11 win rate with the combo of Cutler and a good D. I'm all for high standards, but your focus on Cutler in that 8 year stretch IS shortsided. Those good Ds were better with a good QB and that good QB was better with a good D. Team Game.

Regardless of everything - Cutler can buy a lot of cutlets with the money he made during his Bears stint. He's laughing all the way to the bank while counting all his cutlets!

Regardless of everything - Cutler can buy a lot of cutlets with the money he made during his Bears stint. He's laughing all the way to the bank while counting all his cutlets!
I don't think hes laughing. Probably still has RBF when he goes to the ATM and see the enormous balance on his receipt.

Good thing too, because living in Chicago severely hampered his wife's stellar reality tv "career", or so she claims.

Good thing too, because living in Chicago severely hampered his wife's stellar reality tv "career", or so she claims.

He was a waste of time in Chicago and Denver what city will throw money away with futility. Dr. I don't care about Cutler he is and always will be a loser. The Bears have work to do. The one thing I agree with you about the Bears is the ownership. In my opinion they are the worse owners in the NFL.

Pjjp
No offense, but it's not exactly taking a risk claiming that a QB is never going to win anything. I think it's something like 7 quarterbacks that have won anything in the 2000s. That would leave 100s of QBs that have never won anything, Cutler simply being one of them.

In a game that requires 22 starters, I always find it odd for people to focus so much on QB. 3/4 of the quarterbacks in the NFL are God-awful. Most of that 3/4 have similar or worse numbers than Cutler.

Brady and Manning openly beraded teammates on the field and nobody says a word. Cutler yells at a lineman after being hit for the 20th time in a half, and he's called a jerk.

Rothlisberger and Brett Farve have criminal complaints against them, yet there is no leadership questions.

Bottom line, talent and winning will keep everyone quiet because our society is inherently dumb.

Pjjp
Corey: I know you never said he was the sole reason they lost and that wasn't what I suggested in my post. But, you did place the majority of the blame squarely on him. You and PJ's posts suggested that over a period of time and that just isn't a fact.

I also asked anyone to name me any QB who "could" have won with the Bears teams Cutler had...and no one...including you two, have bothered to give me anyone. The reason is obvious...there isn't one. That alone tells me, Cutler should not take the majority of the blame.

Hey Doc, we get it. The Bears are a poor organization, and it starts with the ownership. Look at the Chicago sports landscape. What organizations are currently successful? The Hawks and the Cubs. Did the ownership change of Rocky Wirtz succeeding Bill and Tom Ricketts buying the Cubs impact those franchises in a positive manner? It's rather obvious, don't you think? Rocky brought in Stan Bowman, and Ricketts hired Theo Epstein. And they both have the good sense to stay out of hockey and baseball decisions and concentrate on the business end. Quality ownership = improved results in both cases. And the Bears' ownership is obviously a disaster This is not earth shattering news.

You are, either wittingly or unwittingly, making my point. There is nothing earth shattering about it. It is obvious and as plain as the nose on Bozo the clown's face. But you and Corey never mention that point. In fairness, there are others who don't either.

I have no idea why you, Corey and so many other people waste so much time placing the majority of the blame on Cutler when the incompetent ownership is the 800 lb gorilla in the room. You can't expect success from a team when you don't give them the tools to make that happen in the first place.

I see so many people wasting time getting on the Bears QBs and other players. I am not giving the players a total pass here but what does the organization give them to go into games with? Nothing much.

As long as we are talking about QBs, how many good or great ones can anyone here name who didn't have some real good talent around them and excellent, or at least real good receivers? Some may for periods of time and during that time they don't win either. Tom Brady comes to mind as a QB who has won with a whole slew of changing talent...but the system Belichick has created is still there and is very solid.

Again, I am not sure how many QBs could have won here during the Cutler years with 3 different HCs and several OCs. I say the guy doesn't exist.

I prefer to look at that 800 lb gorilla first instead of blaming the results of their incompetence and all of the holes that have existed and still exist.

I will do a Corey here and say the Bears aren't going to win a thing with Glennon. But, unlike Corey, I am going to blame the organization first for that.

52-52 when Cutler started 5-14 when he didn't. Cutler was a problem but all cures aren't coming just because we got rid of him.

Reactions: Snetsrak61
You are, either wittingly or unwittingly, making my point. There is nothing earth shattering about it. It is obvious and as plain as the nose on Bozo the clown's face. But you and Corey never mention that point. In fairness, there are others who don't either.

I have no idea why you, Corey and so many other people waste so much time placing the majority of the blame on Cutler when the incompetent ownership is the 800 lb gorilla in the room. You can't expect success from a team when you don't give them the tools to make that happen in the first place.

I see so many people wasting time getting on the Bears QBs and other players. I am not giving the players a total pass here but what does the organization give them to go into games with? Nothing much.

As long as we are talking about QBs, how many good or great ones can anyone here name who didn't have some real good talent around them and excellent, or at least real good receivers? Some may for periods of time and during that time they don't win either. Tom Brady comes to mind as a QB who has won with a whole slew of changing talent...but the system Belichick has created is still there and is very solid.

Again, I am not sure how many QBs could have won here during the Cutler years with 3 different HCs and several OCs. I say the guy doesn't exist.

I prefer to look at that 800 lb gorilla first instead of blaming the results of their incompetence and all of the holes that have existed and still exist.

I will do a Corey here and say the Bears aren't going to win a thing with Glennon. But, unlike Corey, I am going to blame the organization first for that.
You can assign whatever percentage of blame for the Bears failures to the organization as you wish. But, this thread is about Cutler's departure. It's more than past time that he and the Bears part ways. Here's my final assessment of Cutler:

1. Strong arm, but not a consistently accurate passer, due to poor mechanics.
2. Does not read defenses well. Tended to lock in on receivers and was overconfident in his abilities to throw into narrow windows, which led to too many interceptions.
3. Had a tendency to throw an inordinate amount of INTs in the red zone, which is a terrible tendency for QBs at any level.
4. Was a poor leader. Did not inspire teammates, and in many cases turned them off by his indifference and overall poor body language and attitude.
5. Was a coach killer. Yes, he endured a high amount of coaching turnover. But, his play and undisciplined approach contributed to that turnover.
6. Had terrible pocket presence and awareness. Good QBs have a sixth sense for pressure. They know to get rid of the ball or protect the ball before they are getting hit, so they don't fumble. Cutler was sorely lacking in this area, which led to way too many fumbles when sacked.

All of the above resulted in inconsistent QB play during his tenure, which also included numerous injuries. He rarely played a complete season. How much of the blame should be laid on Culter's shoulders? Not the point of the thread. Cutler was a major contributor to the Bears' failures, though. And, in my judgment, was not a quality QB. This thread is not about assigning who is more at fault the organization or the QB. It's about evaluating his failures as a QB who was brought in to be and paid like a "franchise" QB. He never lived up to those expectations and should be held accountable.

You can assign whatever percentage of blame for the Bears failures to the organization as you wish. But, this thread is about Cutler's departure. It's more than past time that he and the Bears part ways. Here's my final assessment of Cutler:

1. Strong arm, but not a consistently accurate passer, due to poor mechanics.
2. Does not read defenses well. Tended to lock in on receivers and was overconfident in his abilities to throw into narrow windows, which led to too many interceptions.
3. Had a tendency to throw an inordinate amount of INTs in the red zone, which is a terrible tendency for QBs at any level.
4. Was a poor leader. Did not inspire teammates, and in many cases turned them off by his indifference and overall poor body language and attitude.
5. Was a coach killer. Yes, he endured a high amount of coaching turnover. But, his play and undisciplined approach contributed to that turnover.
6. Had terrible pocket presence and awareness. Good QBs have a sixth sense for pressure. They know to get rid of the ball or protect the ball before they are getting hit, so they don't fumble. Cutler was sorely lacking in this area, which led to way too many fumbles when sacked.

All of the above resulted in inconsistent QB play during his tenure, which also included numerous injuries. He rarely played a complete season. How much of the blame should be laid on Culter's shoulders? Not the point of the thread. Cutler was a major contributor to the Bears' failures, though. And, in my judgment, was not a quality QB. This thread is not about assigning who is more at fault the organization or the QB. It's about evaluating his failures as a QB who was brought in to be and paid like a "franchise" QB. He never lived up to those expectations and should be held accountable.
You can't fault Cutler for the "organization bringing him in to be the franchise QB. That's not his fault. You can fault him for not being a top ten QB, but he never once claimed to be.

As far as demeanor, every professional, sport or business, needs to be as calm as possible. If you don't like his resting face, that's definitely not his fault. Imagine if someone analyzed your facial expressions every second you worked.

Injury issues? -- Get hit almost 50% more of the time than your counterparts and see what happens. Get rid of the ball? Where? Squeeze it into a tight window? Show me an open window. The Bears couldn't have been better with anybody else the past years.

Should they have parted ways? For sure. There is no part in a middle aged man being the quarterback on a team rebuilding; however, if anybody think they will be better with Glennon, they are horribly mistaken.

Despite this, I foresee all Cutler haters making an incredible amount of excuses for Glennon. I will actually make the same excuses for Glennon as I did for Cutler because it will be the same reasons for his failure.

Give me 22 average players, and I will show you success. Give me a great QB and 21 piles of garbage, and I will show you garbage.

You can't fault Cutler for the "organization bringing him in to be the franchise QB. That's not his fault. You can fault him for not being a top ten QB, but he never once claimed to be.

As far as demeanor, every professional, sport or business, needs to be as calm as possible. If you don't like his resting face, that's definitely not his fault. Imagine if someone analyzed your facial expressions every second you worked.

Injury issues? -- Get hit almost 50% more of the time than your counterparts and see what happens. Get rid of the ball? Where? Squeeze it into a tight window? Show me an open window. The Bears couldn't have been better with anybody else the past years.

Should they have parted ways? For sure. There is no part in a middle aged man being the quarterback on a team rebuilding; however, if anybody think they will be better with Glennon, they are horribly mistaken.

Despite this, I foresee all Cutler haters making an incredible amount of excuses for Glennon. I will actually make the same excuses for Glennon as I did for Cutler because it will be the same reasons for his failure.

Give me 22 average players, and I will show you success. Give me a great QB and 21 piles of garbage, and I will show you garbage.

I said many post ago back even before they resigned Cutler that the Bears would never win anything with him at QB. I was right. As for the rest of the team I also agreed they need a lot of help. Show me in Cutlers career where he was a winner? I believe he has been in 2 playoff games in his glorious career. That my friends says it all. I am glad. He is gone and will laugh if another stupid team picks him up. He was an embarrassment to have in Chicago. Almost as embarrassing as the Bears ownership. Almost!

I said many post ago back even before they resigned Cutler that the Bears would never win anything with him at QB. I was right. As for the rest of the team I also agreed they need a lot of help. Show me in Cutlers career where he was a winner? I believe he has been in 2 playoff games in his glorious career. That my friends says it all. I am glad. He is gone and will laugh if another stupid team picks him up. He was an embarrassment to have in Chicago. Almost as embarrassing as the Bears ownership. Almost!
Will you laugh as hard when Glennon sucks?

Congrats -- Cutler did what no other QB could do here. Compare numbers. Cutlets are the same as 90% of QBs in his time.

I said many post ago back even before they resigned Cutler that the Bears would never win anything with him at QB. I was right.
You say this, but its not really that true, though it depends on your definition of win anything which I'd still be curious for you to define.

The Bears couldn't have been better with anybody else the past years. .
I was going to respond to your post, but then I read the above line and realized it's waste of keystrokes if you honestly believe this.

ADVERTISEMENT