ADVERTISEMENT

The CCL/ESCC Prognostication Thread - Week V

ignazio

Oct 25, 2007
Pour one out for our friend St Joe's this weekend. In 2016, under the hard-working Rich Petroski they went 7-2 before a first round loss in 2A playoffs to St Bede's.

Blue/Purple:
CoM @ BR
neutral field
[2020] Brother Rice (Chicago, IL) 49, [2020] Carmel (Mundelein, IL) 13

SP @ M
neutral field
[2020] Marist (Chicago, IL) 50, [2020] St. Patrick (Chicago, IL) 0

SV @ MC
neutral field
[2020] Mount Carmel (Chicago, IL) 42, [2020] St. Viator (Arlington Heights, IL) 28

Phillips @ LA
neutral field
[2020] Loyola Academy (Wilmette, IL) 34, [2020] Phillips [Wendell] (Chicago, IL) 6
Bonus: Huntley @ LA
neutral field
[2020] Loyola Academy (Wilmette, IL) 31, [2020] Huntley (IL) 3

Green/Orange:
SR @ Benet
neutral field
[2020] St. Rita (Chicago, IL) 38, [2020] Benet Academy (Lisle, IL) 7

MCHS @ DLS
neutral field
[2020] Montini Catholic (Lombard, IL) 31, [2020] De La Salle (Chicago, IL) 14

PC @ SL
neutral field
[2020] Providence Catholic (New Lenox, IL) 38, [2020] St. Laurence (Burbank, IL) 21

ND @ Naz
neutral field
[2020] Nazareth Academy (LaGrange Park, IL) 31, [2020] Notre Dame (Niles, IL) 3

Red/White:
DeP @ JC
neutral field
[2020] Joliet Catholic Academy (Joliet, IL) 56, [2020] DePaul College Prep (Chicago, IL) 0

Leo @ F
neutral field
[2020] Fenwick (Oak Park, IL) 40, [2020] Leo (Chicago, IL) 6

Marian, Heights @ SI
neutral field
[2020] St. Ignatius (Chicago, IL) 31, [2020] Marian Catholic (Chicago Heights, IL) 14

Hope @ MA
neutral field
[2020] Marmion Academy (Aurora, IL) 28, [2020] Chicago Hope Academy (Chicago, IL) 6

Blue/Purple: There is really no reason for the Blue to be playing the Purple.

Brother Rice 42 Carmel 13:

Marist 49 Saint Pat's 7: Running Clock

Mount Carmel 49 Saint Viator 17

Loyola 35 Phillips 12: Marian of the Sticks backed out of this game in early March and are backing their way out of the ESCC and the CCL/ESCC as well. Good on Phillips for taking on the challenge but Loyola is an absolute beast this spring. Best team in State.

Green/Orange:

Saint Rita 35 Benet 7: The Pony Show continues to roll

Montini 41 De La Salle 14: Montini is just better across the board.

Providence 28 Saint Laurence 24: I think Larry's found their stride last week against Rice. Could be a good game.

Nazareth 21 ND 0: ND staring a 1-5 season dead square in the eyes.

Red/White:
Joliet Catholic 63 Gordon Tech 0: Running Clock

Fenwick 42 Leo 6: Running Clock

Saint Ignatius 34 Marian of the Heights: 13: For a school that really doesn't care all that much or need football, Iggy's is a very respectable program.

Marmion 31 Hope 6: Hopefully Marmion is healthy and can play.

Carmel Catholic +36
St. Patrick +50
Mount Carmel -14
Loyola Academy -28
Benet Academy +31
Montini Catholic -17
St. Laurence +17
Notre Dame +28
Gordon Tech +56
Leo +34
Marian Catholic +17
Marmion Academy -22

Reactions: ignazio
Blue/Purple: There is really no reason for the Blue to be playing the Purple.

Brother Rice 42 Carmel 13:

Marist 49 Saint Pat's 7: Running Clock

Mount Carmel 49 Saint Viator 17

Loyola 35 Phillips 12: Marian of the Sticks backed out of this game in early March and are backing their way out of the ESCC and the CCL/ESCC as well. Good on Phillips for taking on the challenge but Loyola is an absolute beast this spring. Best team in State.

Green/Orange:

Saint Rita 35 Benet 7: The Pony Show continues to roll

Montini 41 De La Salle 14: Montini is just better across the board.

Providence 28 Saint Laurence 24: I think Larry's found their stride last week against Rice. Could be a good game.

Nazareth 21 ND 0: ND staring a 1-5 season dead square in the eyes.

Red/White:
Joliet Catholic 63 Gordon Tech 0: Running Clock

Fenwick 42 Leo 6: Running Clock

Saint Ignatius 34 Marian of the Heights: 13: For a school that really doesn't care all that much or need football, Iggy's is a very respectable program.

Marmion 31 Hope 6: Hopefully Marmion is healthy and can play.
The Loyola vs Phillips game is actually fascinating discussion for what constitutes a win and a loss this season or if won/loss records even count.
MArian central of Woodstock according to what is written above chose not to play Loyola this week.
Yet when Marengo lost its game when its scheduled opponent had to back out due to the virus, presto and Marian central stepped right up and took a week 5 game vs marengo.
So does Marian claim a win if it bears marengo or does it take a loss for refusing to play Loyola.
I will point out that backing out of a game that a team has zero chance of winning may be a new thing that’s going to come into fashion.
For example a couple weeks ago might Warren won like 56/0 over a school that hadn’t won a varsity football game since I think Obama was president. That team showed up to play. It did not back out.
Was that team smart to play or stupid? Should it have passed on playing Warren and looked for a competitive game vs a school that was idle due to the virus? Just points to ponder.

Reactions: Solid Snake Pliskin
The Loyola vs Phillips game is actually fascinating discussion for what constitutes a win and a loss this season or if won/loss records even count.
MArian central of Woodstock according to what is written above chose not to play Loyola this week.
Yet when Marengo lost its game when its scheduled opponent had to back out due to the virus, presto and Marian central stepped right up and took a week 5 game vs marengo.
So does Marian claim a win if it bears marengo or does it take a loss for refusing to play Loyola.
I will point out that backing out of a game that a team has zero chance of winning may be a new thing that’s going to come into fashion.
For example a couple weeks ago might Warren won like 56/0 over a school that hadn’t won a varsity football game since I think Obama was president. That team showed up to play. It did not back out.
Was that team smart to play or stupid? Should it have passed on playing Warren and looked for a competitive game vs a school that was idle due to the virus? Just points to ponder.
Backing out of games is not a lesson for life. Hillcrest put up 72 points on a team the week before they played Loyola. But the coach knew LA was going to be a challenge and more importantly, that it would be a learning experience for his team. And it was; from a coaching standpoint it's a great way to see where you stand and where you need to improve. Lots of credit to that program. You may take an L but you'll learn from it.

Marian of the Sticks backed out of this game in early March and are backing their way out of the ESCC and the CCL/ESCC as well

Next stop...Metro Suburban, Fox Valley, Kishwaukee or Independent?

Marian of the Sticks backed out of this game in early March and are backing their way out of the ESCC and the CCL/ESCC as well

Next stop...Metro Suburban, Fox Valley, Kishwaukee or Independent?
Kushwaukee river conference makes sense in geography and school size. But it’s a 6 team league and as we all know a seven team football league is a scheduling nightmare.
Heck it might work out that the week Marian needs to find a non inference opponent to play the only available opponent might be........,,,,.Loyola😁

I hope backing out of games isn't coming into fashion. Marmion booked a Sunday away game vs a school 5 times it's size in Naperville Central. They played them with only one full practice in two weeks before the game. We've seen other schools take on these challenges. Those schools will flourish in my opinion. The others.... Well, I recall St. Joe's dodging teams last year......

Reactions: Bowie50
Warren won like 56/0

If your opponent is a perennial loser, there is no need to pile on. When MC crushed Naz last year, Naz deserved the beating. LA should beat Phillips, but Phillips shouldn't be humiliated.

Let's go back to the MC/LA game. Loyola stole Mount Carmel's playbook. Their offense clicked with a power running back and an efficient quarterback. Taking a page from Dave Lenti, their defense bottled up MC in the second half. Meanwhile, Justin Lynch threw the same TD interception that he threw against Nazareth, and the offense couldn't capitalize on a fumble recovery.

Austin Haygood is a great middle-linebacker. He calls the plays and specializes in the body slam. But Pemberton got by him, and that was the game.

Last edited:
If your opponent is a perennial loser, there is no need to pile on. When MC crushed Naz last year, Naz deserved the beating. LA should beat Phillips, but Phillips shouldn't be humiliated.

Let's go back to the MC/LA game. Loyola stole Mount Carmel's playbook. Their offense clicked with a power running back and an efficient quarterback. Taking a page from Dave Lenti, their defense bottled up MC in the second half. Meanwhile, Justin Lynch threw the same TD interception that he threw against Nazareth, and the offense couldn't capitalize on a fumble recovery.

Austin Haygood is a great middle-linebacker. He calls the plays and specializes in the body slam. But Pemberton got by him, and that was the game.
Austin may have been 60% vs. Loyola....but Austin at 60% is better then most LB at 100%. He had hip procedure in the off season and was playing though a knee injury but he won't let you take him out. Tough kid. Still leading the team in tackles.

Last edited:
I'll be damned if Viator scores 28 vs MC unless 21 are off the reserve players. They've played Hope, Marian Central and Brooks. Senior Night at MC, last time this group plays a home game, they'll go all out.

Reactions: Bowie50

I guess our definition of crushes is much different. I don't remember the score but I think it was 2TDs w a cheap one at the end. Also explain to me why Naz deserved a beating?

Marian of the Sticks backed out of this game in early March and are backing their way out of the ESCC and the CCL/ESCC as well. Good on Phillips for taking on the challenge but Loyola is an absolute beast this spring. Best team in State.

If what you say about MCC backing out is true, then shame on them. They can't even make the argument that they backed out so as to make the playoffs or get a better seed! The conference should consider kicking them out before letting them leave on their own terms.

I think of all those years when schools like Leo, Hales, etc. strapped on the pads and played CCL games in which they had no chance of coming close, much less winning. And then I think of all those years in the Suburban Catholic and its successor when MCC would annually feast on schools like Holy Cross/Guerin, St. Ed's, ACC, Chicago Christian, etc.

I guess our definition of crushes is much different. I don't remember the score but I think it was 2TDs w a cheap one at the end. Also explain to me why Naz deserved a beating?

Pretty sure that LA and Holecek don't have to steal MC or anybody else's playbook, especially on defense. Holecek's teams always have an outstanding defense; it's just that this year it is matched by an offense that is just as strong as its defense.

Pretty sure that LA and Holecek don't have to steal MC or anybody else's playbook, especially on defense. Holecek's teams always have an outstanding defense; it's just that this year it is matched by an offense that is just as strong as its defense.
Pretty sure you misunderstood Blue Ruin.

All he was saying by stealing their playbook was that LA played the type of game against MC that MC has been playing against others for years.

why Naz deserved a beating

MC beat Naz by 24 points and was criticized for running up the score. How many teams did Naz beat by 24 points or more that season? The answer is eight. They beat Leo by 36, DLS by 37, and Libertyville by 41. Karma is a female dog.

Carmel 36
Pats 50
MC -14
Phillips 28
Rita -31
Montini Catholic -17
Providence Catholic -17
Notre Dame 28
DePaul College Prep 56
Leo 34
MC 17
Marmion Academy -22

Reactions: ignazio
Still leading the team in tackles.

Haygood is one of my favorite players, and he may even reach the NFL if his injuries aren't that serious. But what happened to Odeluga in the Loyola game? He seemed to be MIA on both often and defense. In 2018 against Loyola, he virtually took over the game on defense, and in 2019, he sprinted 65 yards for a touchdown in the first three minutes.

Haygood is one of my favorite players, and he may even reach the NFL if his injuries aren't that serious. But what happened to Odeluga in the Loyola game? He seemed to be MIA on both often and defense. In 2018 against Loyola, he virtually took over the game on defense, and in 2019, he sprinted 65 yards for a touchdown in the first three minutes.
He had some real nice 8-10 yard bulldozer runs but when we fell behind 21-3 we had to break away from the power run and speed it up. When we got it to 21-17 and we really needed to stop them on their first possession. Had we stopped them we could have fed Kenenna and hopefully took a 24-21 lead and killed the clock but we didn’t.
Haygood is fine I hear. He’s 90%, just needs a few weeks rest after the season and he’ll be 100%

Last edited:
Reactions: Bowie50 and Gene K.
MC beat Naz by 24 points and was criticized for running up the score. How many teams did Naz beat by 24 points or more that season? The answer is eight. They beat Leo by 36, DLS by 37, and Libertyville by 41. Karma is a female dog.
How many times did Naz score with 29 seconds left? Zero.

Corsairs +36, ‘Rocks +50, Caravans -14, LA -28, but the Red Raiders +28, ‘Wings+31, Meteors +17, Dons +28, Rams +56, Lions +34, Pack -17 and Hopers +22.

Reactions: RockSoup
How many times did Naz score with 29 seconds left? Zero.
They didn't have he ball. Quit whinin' -- your guys were way overconfident. They must have been reading posts on this board. At least you weren't in some lesser game that morning like some schools.

• Wow
Reactions: go_rice
They didn't have he ball. Quit whinin' -- your guys were way overconfident. They must have been reading posts on this board. At least you weren't in some lesser game that morning like some schools.
They didn't have the ball? Check the boxscore. Their last TD was with 29 seconds. I'm not whining just stilll trying to figure out why Naz deserved it and when 2tds is getting crushed. You were in the lesser game of the night. 8A or bust right.

• Haha
Reactions: Gene K.
Never gets old. Ole MC63 is a one trick pony!

ADVERTISEMENT