ADVERTISEMENT

The 150 greatest coaches in College

You do understand that this is a high school football board....yes?
Yes, i'm aware, but I also see many threads that have to do with: D3 football, Kiffen to Ole Miss, Patriots cheating again.thread about Minnesota D2 schools dropping football. , .. that's just glancing at the first page.

Last edited:
Reactions: brucealmighy
Bob Reade, former Geneseo HS coach, ranked #81? Should be higher. 15 years at Augustana, . 4 National Championships, 1 runner up, 12 conference champs, . 858 winning percentage. 60 game unbeaten streak, and he's the 6th ranked D3 coach?

Reactions: mchsalumni
Bob Reade, former Geneseo HS coach, ranked #81? Should be higher. 15 years at Augustana, . 4 National Championships, 1 runner up, 12 conference champs, . 858 winning percentage. 60 game unbeaten streak, and he's the 6th ranked D3 coach?

This is a bit ridiculous. Top 3, maybe 1.

Reactions: atrain97
Yes, i'm aware, but I also see many threads that have to do with: D3 football, Kiffen to Ole Miss, Patriots cheating again.thread about Minnesota D2 schools dropping football. , .. that's just glancing at the first page.

He's got a point there @EdgyTim

atrain:

I certainly contest the validity of this poll. It has both Barry Switzer and John McKay ahead of Ara Parseghian.

Switzer's coaching resume is pretty impressive.
16 years at OU
157-29-4

finished ranked in the top 10 thirteen out of his 16 years. Won 3 national championships.

In 4 years as the Cowboys coach he won a Superbowl.

He is one of only three coaches to win a National Championship and a Super Bowl.[/QUOTE]

Switzer's coaching resume is pretty impressive.
16 years at OU
157-29-4

finished ranked in the top 10 thirteen out of his 16 years. Won 3 national championships.

In 4 years as the Cowboys coach he won a Superbowl.

He is one of only three coaches to win a National Championship and a Super Bowl.
[/QUOTE]

Definitely a great record, but did he win in spite of his coaching ability or because of his coaching ability?

Definitely a great record, but did he win in spite of his coaching ability or because of his coaching ability?[/QUOTE]

Tough to say, especially at the college level. But it is hard to argue with the success he had. Regardless of the methods, he assembled some great talent at OU. He was an unbelievable recruiter and had pretty good success against some of the great programs of his day.

He was an unbelievable recruiter and had pretty good success against some of the great programs of his day.

No question an insanely good recruiter. How do you even get kids to consider Oklahoma in general? They were recruiting against some monster programs back in the day. Pay to play was prevalent, but still, Oklahoma?

You know why they call it the Sooner state, right? I'd Sooner be leaving than be staying.

Reactions: Gene K. and USD24
USD:

If we judge Switzer in totality, we must consider how OU thrived in an atmosphere in which no governance was exercised over the program. If memory serves, Charles Thompson, a reserve QB in the 80s, was arrested in a sting for selling cocaine to an undercover FBI agent. Similarly, it was also reported a player went unpunished for discharging an entire clip from an unsupressed MAC-9 while standing on the balcony of an athletic dorm while Switzer lorded over OU football.

I could go on, and on, and on, and on, and on.

If we erase these unpleasant memories and focus on record only, might I suggest we compile a list of the greatest college basketball coaches and honor Lefty Driesell with the top spot. If we choose this path, we must mention how Driesell oversaw a Maryland program for 17 years, the final eight of which did not witness a Terrapin basketball player earn a degree.

As far as I'm concerned, these factors, particularly the behavior of players off the field or court, are variables which should prevent coaches from being considered for any recognition on a list or enshrinement in a hall.

No question an insanely good recruiter. How do you even get kids to consider Oklahoma in general? They were recruiting against some monster programs back in the day. Pay to play was prevalent, but still, Oklahoma?

You know why they call it the Sooner state, right? I'd Sooner be leaving than be staying.
Another famous quote for a former Chicagoan
when asked the question "Whats the best view of Chicago?" His reply was "In my rear view mirror."

ADVERTISEMENT