ADVERTISEMENT

Testing Numbers 2018- Predictions

It's not illegal to move, live with your family, or rent an apartment. Not sure what type of silliness you're on right now, but it is silly.

If you know where kids live that you have no connection with you're bordering on something illegal yourself. Tell us, who are these kids that you follow home?
Maybe you need to reread. These kids LEGALLY live outside of district. And you know all of this because YOU have talked with people about it.

Maybe you need to reread. These kids LEGALLY live outside of district. And you know all of this because YOU have talked with people about it.
You must have me mistaken with someone else. I do not know where any child that isn't mine or my family lives. I know if we have transfers, but that is the end of my knowledge. I don't know how you think I would have this information.

Look, I like football more than the next man. But the same reason why I don't care about recruiting and 30 mile radii is the same reason why I don't know where kids live, it's none of my business where or why they go where they go.

I hope that clears it up.

Hey Gene,

Back on page 2 of this thread I asked about the large discount for multiple students at the school McCaravan mentioned as we didn’t see such a beast at Naz. And Then again on page 5 I reminded everyone, since this was a private (catholic) school thread, we could and should be proud to say Merry Christmas! But evidentially I hear I’m under a rock somewhere. Now I hope this thread doesn’t devolve into something more than testing numbers.
Glad to see you're still alive and well. We miss you on the success factor thread. One question though is do you ever get sun burn when you crawl out from under the rock. LOL.

There is definitely a possibility of this becoming a Private/public school thread so it definitely has potential to expand into something than originally intended. Never got a discount from my two sons going to Iggy. Father Rowe told us the education was just the price of a small Chevy. Turned out to the the price of a Caddy with all the options, but well worth the Jesuit education they received.

Its early, but I always say Merry Christmas. Happy Holidays is for atheists and other politically correct individuals who I wish well when the grim reaper appears on their door steps.

MC63,

I'm only looking out for you here, but you're 0 - 2 today with the hanging curveball to mchsalumuni and then missing Ramblin's point. As Rocky said to his son, "You're better than this!"

Thanks for your concern, but I don'[t pay any attention to MCHS at all. His comments are usually immature and off-target. Regarding Ramblinman, my response was not only to his post, but to his positions historically. Like Newt, Ramblin considers himself to be quite the intellectual.

Lighten up, Francis, and go put your spectacles back on. Did you not see the winking emoticon after what I wrote?

And I don't live in Lake County.
I pay no attention to those silly emoticons. Plus, anyone who throws "charism" around is not to be considered whimsical.

Re Lake county, I had you confused with some other LA guy. Sorry, although I doubt you live in Tinley.

I’m 50% Irish, Welsh, & English I get a sun burn from the moon.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Glad to see you're still alive and well. We miss you on the success factor thread. One question though is do you ever get sun burn when you crawl out from under the rock. LOL.

There is definitely a possibility of this becoming a Private/public school thread so it definitely has potential to expand into something than originally intended. Never got a discount from my two sons going to Iggy. Father Rowe told us the education was just the price of a small Chevy. Turned out to the the price of a Caddy with all the options, but well worth the Jesuit education they received.

Its early, but I always say Merry Christmas. Happy Holidays is for atheists and other politically correct individuals who I wish well when the grim reaper appears on their door steps.

Reactions: Gene K.
Thank you for proving the immaturity part.

I am rarely off-target though. Actually spot on most of the time when it comes to identifying curmudgeons and blowhards. I do know a fair amount about football as well.

PC Dad
Not sure if you are familiar with the Burbank and surrounding areas?
Also are you aware of the logical nightmare it’s is to get to STL for certain high volume catholic school hubs?

Reactions: go_rice
PC Dad
Also are you aware of the logical nightmare it’s is to get to STL for certain high volume catholic school hubs?
Very familiar with the area. I thought StL instituted a bus service to and from train stations to make travel easier? I think Rita does the same.

Very familiar with the area. I thought StL instituted a bus service to and from train stations to make travel easier? I think Rita does the same.

Rita does the bus service as well. I only know because my co-ELA teacher has a son who was deciding between Rita and MC. Rita having this service in addition to me bugging him everyday, the kid chose Cascia. Was impressed with MC, but in the end, Witty won out. Great athlete; played a huge role on the Freshmen football team.

Reactions: tomloner
PC Dad

STL is in one of the safer neighborhoods of area catholic schools and has transportation options that stretch in every direction.

The religious demographics aren’t swaying in the directions for STL to become the LA of the south.
It’s not the 70s anymore

Public transportation to StL is extremely difficult
I wasn’t talking about safety
It really isn’t extremely difficult. Several public transportation buses drop off in either STL’s parking lot, right in front of the school or less than 2 blocks away.

(And please don’t think of this as me arguing that STL is going to become the LA of the south side. I am just providing counterpoints to this specific argument)

It really isn’t extremely difficult. Several public transportation buses drop off in either STL’s parking lot, right in front of the school or less than 2 blocks away.

(And please don’t think of this as me arguing that STL is going to become the LA of the south side. I am just providing counterpoints to this specific argument)

I get that there are buses that go to or near SL from the areas around Ford City and Chicago Ridge Malls. I recall the original poser of this public transportation point was referring to Catholic school hubs. When I think of this as it pertains to the areas that could conceivably feed into Laurence, I have to include schools in the Mt Greenwood and Beverly areas. How does someone get from, say, St. Christina's to Laurence using public transportation without multiple bus transfers and spending one hour to travel 5 miles as the crow flies?

Nor is the money. I believe it was Bowie who referenced LA's magnificent endowment. That ain't happening for SL or Marist or anybody.
St Iggy has a lot of money coming in from alumni, endowments, etc. too. They have spent a ton of money upgrading their facilities and the educational opportunities one can get by attending. Their sport's teams appear to be getting better but the academic achievements of it's students in very impressive.

I get that there are buses that go to or near SL from the areas around Ford City and Chicago Ridge Malls. I recall the original poser of this public transportation point was referring to Catholic school hubs. When I think of this as it pertains to the areas that could conceivably feed into Laurence, I have to include schools in the Mt Greenwood and Beverly areas. How does someone get from, say, St. Christina's to Laurence using public transportation without multiple bus transfers and spending one hour to travel 5 miles as the crow flies?

If MTG and Beverly kids can get to SR or MC, they are able to get to STL. public transportation comes from the area and drops off right outside the building, and private transportation is an option too. Not even expensive. The STL bus is always driving through the area. There are options. Not nearly as far as you think. From 111th and Pulaski it’s the same exact distance to SR. Make a left at some point to get to Central, make a right on Central until you get to St. Laurence. Two turns and you’re there.

Reactions: IgorStL
If MTG and Beverly kids can get to SR or MC, they are able to get to STL. public transportation comes from the area and drops off right outside the building, and private transportation is an option too. Not even expensive. The STL bus is always driving through the area. There are options. Not nearly as far as you think. From 111th and Pulaski it’s the same exact distance to SR. Make a left at some point to get to Central, make a right on Central until you get to St. Laurence. Two turns and you’re there.

I live in Beverly. You SR and MC Jackets, some BR ones and occasional Marist one. But I don’t ever remembering seeing a STL one around here. They just don’t seem to have an alumni base around here. I always thought their big base was west of midway between Archer and south to the Cal Sag Canal

There's a famous story from awhile back on this topic.

Years ago a Catholic high school board was led by a well-know and well-connected alumnus. He wasn't the most optimistic of sorts. When discussing the never-ending financial troubles the school was facing, his famous line was "the problem with our school is that we don't have any successful alumni who can help us."

The school?

It's on the near west side and seems they found some successful alumns.

I live in Beverly. You SR and MC Jackets, some BR ones and occasional Marist one. But I don’t ever remembering seeing a STL one around here. They just don’t seem to have an alumni base around here. I always thought their big base was west of midway between Archer and south to the Cal Sag Canal

That’s fine and understandable. That also has nothing to do with the logistics of getting to STL.

It's not a question of if, but more questions of how and how long. The original question posed pertained to public transportation getting to Laurence, not the school bus. Using public transportation, and according to Google Maps, you need three buses and at least an hour to get from Christina's to Laurence. Two buses and 40 mins to get to Rita.

This is not to say that the bus doesn't stop right outside the bldg. Rather, it is very much to say how many buses and how long does it take to get there from relatively nearby areas with high concentrations of Catholic elementary schools. Clearly some areas are less conveniently connected to Laurence by public transportation than others.

Think broader, outside of the south side and Mt Greenwood area, regarding future draws for StL. If they have their way, their footprint will grow expansively. Meanwhile at the PC camp the footprint appears to be shrinking. Normal ebbs and flows? Time will tell.

Think broader, outside of the south side and Mt Greenwood area, regarding future draws for StL. If they have their way, their footprint will grow expansively. Meanwhile at the PC camp the footprint appears to be shrinking. Normal ebbs and flows? Time will tell.
The surrounding areas of STL are absolute shite

I have seen a StL bus in Orland - so they have the ability to pick kids up.

Also Marist has some pretty deep pockets for some of its alums -

That’s fine and understandable. That also has nothing to do with the logistics of getting to STL.
Well before you figure how to get to STL you have to want to get to STL. I don't see STL making that big of an inroad in zip codes 60643 and 60655. Unless a kid is a legacy what's the draw? What have you to offer that let's say BR doesn't have. That's not a slight. This area is at the saturation point already.

Well before you figure how to get to STL you have to want to get to STL. I don't see STL making that big of an inroad in zip codes 60643 and 60655. Unless a kid is a legacy what's the draw? What have you to offer that let's say BR doesn't have. That's not a slight. This area is at the saturation point already.

They’ve already made significant inroads in those zip codes. Every year the amount of students they pull from that area is growing. And it’s not just because of the girls.

The next time an impact athlete is turned away by any of these schools due to his entrance exam score will be a first. Only school I have ever had a kid turned away by was Marist. Marist also took kids with lower scores than the rejected student I had but they were legacies.
This is a hilarious thread. I believe st iggys has selected enrollment even with athletes, but a sure fire stud 8th grader walks into any catholic school regardless of grades. It’s the same thing as Whitney Young, they created a unique talent circumstance to bypass admission criteria

This is a hilarious thread. I believe st iggys has selected enrollment even with athletes, but a sure fire stud 8th grader walks into any catholic school regardless of grades. It’s the same thing as Whitney Young, they created a unique talent circumstance to bypass admission criteria
You would think yes, but I know for a fact that is not the case. Depends on the school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT