ADVERTISEMENT

Tebow?

LTHSALUM76

Aug 27, 2014
Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about Tim Tebow signing with Jacksonville. Not sure how effective he'll be but he goes back a long way with Urban Meyer. I am not sure what the point is other than to maybe sell a few tickets. In my eyes it was a joke the Mets kept him so long in their organization. But, what do I know?

Shameless publicity stunt. 9 years removed from the field of play. Not sure what they are trying to prove here, but this ends with him getting cut in mid-August.

Reactions: flyerforlife
One current player made the perfect statement... Tim Tebow being signed at this stage in his career just goes to show you that at this level, who you know is almost as important as your abilities. Tebow is only being signed because it’s Urban, I see no possible way he makes the roster.

One potential scenario I have heard, which makes sense to me, is that this is just for Urban to get him in the building to get him into coaching

Reactions: UlbKA91
Don't overlook the fact that Tebow is a natural leader. That's the reason Meyer wants him around. There are no guaranteed contracts in the NFL. If it works, Meyer is once again the genius. If it fails, so what?

Reactions: Wassup13
giving the guy a shot. what's wrong w that. if he makes it great, if he cuts cut....oh well.

who cares about any of this?

how can anyone say Tebow is a "buffoon". Literally is one of the best people on the face of the earth.
C'mon, one of the best people of the face of the earth? Do you even personally know him? That's a pretty silly statement.

Reactions: Solid Snake Pliskin
Kaepernick should have gotten a chance before this buffoon.
Kaepernick had his chance on a comeback and ruined it for himself. Do people forgot that he had a tryout, teams showed up and he changed the destination an hour before to somewhere 80 miles away then complained that people did not show up? Done with the Kaepernick pitty party.

I don’t think of Tebow as a buffoon. He’s driven and good for him. He’s just not realistic. I’ll never understand the level of dislike people have for him, especially when they attack his character.

I have no problem with him getting a shot. Good for him. If guys are upset or worried on the team tough. Listen if he just happens to be better than a player they have then it is what it is. Some times it who you know and in this case he knows the HC. Apparently the coach believes in him and likes him. Good for him, I hope it works out for him. I don’t know him personally but everything I have seen and heard about him is nothing but good. It worked when they were in college maybe it will work again in the Pros?

I have no problem with him getting a shot. Good for him. If guys are upset or worried on the team tough. Listen if he just happens to be better than a player they have then it is what it is. Some times it who you know and in this case he knows the HC. Apparently the coach believes in him and likes him. Good for him, I hope it works out for him. I don’t know him personally but everything I have seen and heard about him is nothing but good. It worked when they were in college maybe it will work again in the Pros?
Corey this is an excellent post and maybe your best ever. I agree 100% with you. At first I didn't understand why the Jags would give him a tryout. But I have changed my mind about that. What you're saying is a lot of what I would have said and would say. Yes, when you are on the outside looking in, the first thing you'll do is to see who your contacts are to get an opportunity. It works the same way when getting a job or career position in any field. Many, many people get hired for positions in every field based on their contacts and who they know and have a relationship with. Sports are no different.

All the guy wants is an opportunity. Then the rest is up to him. Obviously Meyer thinks Tebow works hard and will give his best all the time and get good results and that's all anyone can ask as far as making the team goes.

As for the guy who tries to make this personal by calling Tebow a buffoon. Ignore him. He is nothing but a hater as evidenced by dozens and dozens of past posts.

I can't understand what it is about Tebow that people could possibly hate. The guy has great character and that is something the NFL could use more of. I've seen him in lots of interviews and his attitude is always positive and he's smiling. He comes off as a guy who can be trusted to give his best and isn't selfish. You won't see him being abusive...especially to women.

But, when he gets on the field he has to produce. If he does well, great. If he doesn't, he won't play. I just don't understand why some people have their undies in a bunch over the guy getting an opportunity. They need to stop making it personal and grow up.

I don't know if this has been said yet but Tebow only needs 3 more NFL games to get lifetime benefits and pension. This is just his old coach and friend looking out for him. Goes to show that relationships mean a lot in football and in life.

Corey this is an excellent post and maybe your best ever. I agree 100% with you. At first I didn't understand why the Jags would give him a tryout. But I have changed my mind about that. What you're saying is a lot of what I would have said and would say. Yes, when you are on the outside looking in, the first thing you'll do is to see who your contacts are to get an opportunity. It works the same way when getting a job or career position in any field. Many, many people get hired for positions in every field based on their contacts and who they know and have a relationship with. Sports are no different.

All the guy wants is an opportunity. Then the rest is up to him. Obviously Meyer thinks Tebow works hard and will give his best all the time and get good results and that's all anyone can ask as far as making the team goes.

As for the guy who tries to make this personal by calling Tebow a buffoon. Ignore him. He is nothing but a hater as evidenced by dozens and dozens of past posts.

I can't understand what it is about Tebow that people could possibly hate. The guy has great character and that is something the NFL could use more of. I've seen him in lots of interviews and his attitude is always positive and he's smiling. He comes off as a guy who can be trusted to give his best and isn't selfish. You won't see him being abusive...especially to women.

But, when he gets on the field he has to produce. If he does well, great. If he doesn't, he won't play. I just don't understand why some people have their undies in a bunch over the guy getting an opportunity. They need to stop making it personal and grow up.

Regardless weather he makes the team I have no problem with him getting a shot. Yes it pays to know someone, that gets your foot in the door. The rest is up to him. To me he seems like a very good person and why not give him a shot. Haters going to hate! So what they can get a life.

I don't know if this has been said yet but Tebow only needs 3 more NFL games to get lifetime benefits and pension. This is just his old coach and friend looking out for him. Goes to show that relationships mean a lot in football and in life.
I didn't know this. I wonder how that pension works.

I am not sure if it's true anymore. But there was a time in MLB baseball that if a guy got one at bat in the big leagues he got a pension. Not much, but he got one.

Reactions: USD24
  • MLB players must play 43 days in the majors to earn a minimum $34,000 annual pension plan. Just one day in the majors gets them lifetime healthcare coverage. After 10 years in the big leagues, benefits grow to $100,000 annually.

Professional sports pensions

• MLB players must play 43 days in the majors to earn a minimum $34,000 annual pension plan. Just one day in the majors gets them lifetime healthcare coverage. After 10 years in the big leagues, benefits grow to $100,000 annually.

Professional sports pensions
I know the 10 year vesting is the thing the guys shoot for. Thanks for the info. Geez I know a guy who had over 20 years of service in MLB. Wonder what his pension is.

And think of Bobby Bonilla. He still gets $1,000,000 a year till somewhere around 2035. I think he gets the payment on July 1st each year. That and the pension, when he gets there? Not bad at all.

I know the 10 year vesting is the thing the guys shoot for. Thanks for the info. Geez I know a guy who had over 20 years of service in MLB. Wonder what his pension is.

And think of Bobby Bonilla. He still gets $1,000,000 a year till somewhere around 2035. I think he gets the payment on July 1st each year. That and the pension, when he gets there? Not bad at all.
2035 is correct, July 1 2035 will be the Mets last payment to Bonilla. He deferred his payments until 2012 and got an 8% interest rate on his payments so he gets roughly $1.2 million every year.

Another interesting note - if you have 25 years of MLB front office service (employed full time by an MLB team), you receive a “Golden Ticket” upon retirement. The golden ticket entitles you and a guest to admission in any MLB stadium for a regular season game. You just present the pass at the VIP ticket window and they give you 2 tickets for the game. Seating might not always be the best seats but the teams usually take care of such guests with decent enough tickets.

2035 is correct, July 1 2035 will be the Mets last payment to Bonilla. He deferred his payments until 2012 and got an 8% interest rate on his payments so he gets roughly $1.2 million every year.

Another interesting note - if you have 25 years of MLB front office service (employed full time by an MLB team), you receive a “Golden Ticket” upon retirement. The golden ticket entitles you and a guest to admission in any MLB stadium for a regular season game. You just present the pass at the VIP ticket window and they give you 2 tickets for the game. Seating might not always be the best seats but the teams usually take care of such guests with decent enough tickets.
Active MLB umps also receive these. I have a few buddies who have benefited from the 'golden ticket' season pass from an MLB ump.

Reactions: kkhawk and caravan8
As it pertains to this situation, I'm not sure why Kaepernick has been mentioned by media, current nfl players, or members of this forum. These two situations are different and I would be sure there are factors we do not know about.

As it pertains to this situation, I'm not sure why Kaepernick has been mentioned by media, current nfl players, or members of this forum. These two situations are different and I would be sure there are factors we do not know about.
Kaep wants to play games. Tebow just wants to play.

• Haha
Reactions: LTHSALUM76
Kaep wants to play games. Tebow just wants to play.

Kaep
Has other agendas than just playing football and teams don’t want the distraction. I don’t blame the owners. I think their was other avenues for Kaep to spread the message that didn’t have involve the NFL. I have never had a problem with Kaep trying to get his message out there. I think it needed to be brought up to get people understanding the issue. I didn’t like the way he went about it using the NFL and his team as the venue.

Kaep
Has other agendas than just playing football and teams don’t want the distraction. I don’t blame the owners. I think their was other avenues for Kaep to spread the message that didn’t have involve the NFL. I have never had a problem with Kaep trying to get his message out there. I think it needed to be brought up to get people understanding the issue. I didn’t like the way he went about it using the NFL and his team as the venue.
Have no problem with people wanting to share a message. The crap he pulled with moving his tryout showed he wasn’t really interested in playing.

This is good to know. I have a college roommate that I'm sure has 10 years between the D-Backs and Lastros. Now that I know I'm gonna catch some games I never would have considered.

Reactions: corey90
Tebow getting a shot so he can get his 34k
Pension?? Cmon!

Dudes a multi-millionaire and makes loads of cash from book deals, speaking engagements, ESPN...

Have we lost all sense in the world to just take things at face value ever? Does there always have to be a hidden agenda? He is Urban Meyers all tome favorite player and wants to give him a shot. He’s a tremendous football player (is he talented enough to play TE? Probably not but a great football player) and a GREAT teammate. Will help build Urban’s culture.

Yahoo Article....good stuff.

“Mostly though, Tebow is being given the opportunity to humiliate himself. He’s more likely to fail than succeed. Visions of him getting blown up trying to block or dropping a pass he should have caught are very possible. He doesn’t care.

He wants to give it a try … on the worst team in football. Good for him.”

So what’s the problem?
Each member of the Tebow hate club has their own reason. My best guess is something that plagues a lot of American society. There is an old saying that my enemy’s enemy is my friend. In this case, maybe it is “my enemy’s favorite player is my enemy.”

If you dislike, for whatever reason, the people who love Tebow, then perhaps you hate Tebow even if there is little to no reason to hate Tebow.”

So what’s the problem?
Each member of the Tebow hate club has their own reason. My best guess is something that plagues a lot of American society. There is an old saying that my enemy’s enemy is my friend. In this case, maybe it is “my enemy’s favorite player is my enemy.”

If you dislike, for whatever reason, the people who love Tebow, then perhaps you hate Tebow even if there is little to no reason to hate Tebow.”
Wow, Colin! This part of your post is outstanding and you couldn't have hit the nail more squarely on the head. I think we all know the overwhelming reason why the haters hate Tebow. Why they call him names. Why they "really" hate him...and it has little to do with football. And a resounding YES and agreement from me as to the problem that plagues a lot of American society.

I hope he gets his shot and eventually makes the team. I do, however, think it's a long shot. But when it's all over, if he doesn't make it, he'll know he got an honest shot and took his best shot.

I run into far more people my age and older who, when talking about regrets they may have had in life, don't talk about the things they have done in the past. The overwhelming majority talk about things they wish they would have done or at least tried to do. While Tebow isn't afraid of failure, most people, sadly, are.

Reactions: colin2229
Wow, Colin! This part of your post is outstanding and you couldn't have hit the nail more squarely on the head. I think we all know the overwhelming reason why the haters hate Tebow. Why they call him names. Why they "really" hate him...and it has little to do with football. And a resounding YES and agreement from me as to the problem that plagues a lot of American society.

I hope he gets his shot and eventually makes the team. I do, however, think it's a long shot. But when it's all over, if he doesn't make it, he'll know he got an honest shot and took his best shot.

I run into far more people my age and older who, when talking about regrets they may have had in life, don't talk about the things they have done in the past. The overwhelming majority talk about things they wish they would have done or at least tried to do. While Tebow isn't afraid of failure, most people, sadly, are.

I don't hate the guy, but let's do a quick capture of guys out of the NFL for 9 years who came back strong. Checking. And nothing. You know why? Because people out of a professional sport for 9 years cannot compete at that level. I have nothing against him, but this is a joke.

I don't hate the guy, but let's do a quick capture of guys out of the NFL for 9 years who came back strong. Checking. And nothing. You know why? Because people out of a professional sport for 9 years cannot compete at that level. I have nothing against him, but this is a joke.

Maybe he will be the first. No QB won a SB after switching teams his first year at Bradys age. I for one would to see him make the team. Who knows maybe he will surprise everyone? I know one thing with Urban as his coach he will definitely get a fair shot. He won’t make the team unless he exceeds all their expectations because Urban will have to get everyone’s buy in at that point.

Yahoo Article....good stuff.

“Mostly though, Tebow is being given the opportunity to humiliate himself. He’s more likely to fail than succeed. Visions of him getting blown up trying to block or dropping a pass he should have caught are very possible. He doesn’t care.

He wants to give it a try … on the worst team in football. Good for him.”

So what’s the problem?

Substitute White Sox/Cubs or certain Catholic High Schools for Tebow...

Reactions: colin2229
Pretty sure he is already vested since he has 3 credited seasons.

The ESPN "First Take" pair have a segment on this, if interested. Steven A. Smith's portion starts at the 1:50 mark.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT