ADVERTISEMENT

Teams that are so close yet so far away....

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
So who are some of the teams that seem to be making progress but who keep coming up just a bit short of a state title?

Post em here.

Small Schools: Tolono Unity. They have a great coach who just hasn't gotten the ring.

Their problem is the days of feasting on weak 3A South are over, now they are up against Rochester, Althoff and a few others, especially if 4A goes up near 900..

H-F and Lemont playoff achievements, to a degree, seem partially victimized by some weak opponents from lower enrollment classes as part of their conference schedules.

Barrington is my vote too. Think they need to bulk up non-conf schedule to get ready for November

It is becoming my observation that the positive effects from tough non-con games in August are often difficult to carry-over into playoff time. This is particularly true if a handful of soft conference opponents populate the rest of the schedule.

I'm always amazed at how H-F hasn't been able to win it all. I know they came real close a few years ago against Stevenson. I was at the playoff game in 2015 when they lost to Loyola. They have a ton of talent and seemingly great admin support/facilities.

I'm always amazed at how H-F hasn't been able to win it all. I know they came real close a few years ago against Stevenson. I was at the playoff game in 2015 when they lost to Loyola. They have a ton of talent and seemingly great admin support/facilities.
They certainly seem to have their share of transfers coming in annually. You wonder how that might affect team chemistry in their program - exposing a potential missing ingredient?

The Brook and De La Salle are two of the biggest underachievers for me. Scholarship kid after scholarship kid on both teams. DLS cant win the green and The Brook has only one state title (winning 1 is hard, don't get me wrong) but both teams pass the eye ball test getting off the bus and then don't make the next step.

The Brook and De La Salle are two of the biggest underachievers for me. Scholarship kid after scholarship kid on both teams. DLS cant win the green and The Brook has only one state title (winning 1 is hard, don't get me wrong) but both teams pass the eye ball test getting off the bus and then don't make the next step.
I would disagree on Bolingbrook. As you said, they have won a state title. In the meatgrinder that is 8A, that is very impressive. If you are gonna say Bolingbrook, you have to include every team in 8A other than Maine South. Maine South is the only 8A team that has won multiple state titles in the last 10 years. In fact, since 8A began, only MS, LWE and Lockport have more than one championship.
If I had to pick an 8A team that cant take that next step, it would be HInsdale Central. Always have a great regular season, but are continuously a playoff dud.

I would disagree on Bolingbrook. As you said, they have won a state title. In the meatgrinder that is 8A, that is very impressive. If you are gonna say Bolingbrook, you have to include every team in 8A other than Maine South. Maine South is the only 8A team that has won multiple state titles in the last 10 years. In fact, since 8A began, only MS, LWE and Lockport have more than one championship.
If I had to pick an 8A team that cant take that next step, it would be HInsdale Central. Always have a great regular season, but are continuously a playoff dud.

You make a good point. Loyola has only won 1 and I wouldn't put them in the category of "close but far away". Can we agree on OPRF?

A buddy of mine is an Oak Park cop and he says the kids that walk out of that school look like they all play big10 football. BRUTAL conference though. I don't think that conference gets enough credit for how much of a meat grinder it is.

A buddy of mine is an Oak Park cop and he says the kids that walk out of that school look like they all play big10 football. BRUTAL conference though. I don't think that conference gets enough credit for how much of a meat grinder it is.
But outside of Glenbard West, none of the teams have been historically very successful in the playoffs. Take away GW and the other 6 teams in the conference have a combined 1 state title and 2 second place finishes. In contrast, the CCL Blue teams have 27 combined titles and 14 second place finishes. In addition, every Blue team has won a title. The ESCC has a combined 22 titles and 12 second place finishes and 8 of the 10 teams have played in a championship game.

But outside of Glenbard West, none of the teams have been historically very successful in the playoffs. Take away GW and the other 6 teams in the conference have a combined 1 state title and 2 second place finishes. In contrast, the CCL Blue teams have 27 combined titles and 14 second place finishes. In addition, every Blue team has won a title. The ESCC has a combined 22 titles and 12 second place finishes and 8 of the 10 teams have played in a championship game.

You sir, have done your homework. Kudos. Actually I agree with you and could put a number of the Silver teams in an underachieving category. Will be very interesting to see who Downers North and York bring in.

Downers North at least has a history, they've been to the mountain top.

And York, oh boy, can they change the school into a football school instead of track/XC in addition to going into all out war with IC? Whoever gets that job is going to have to plaster that block Y all over the city of elmhurst.

But thats for another thread....

Reactions: USD24
Any SWSC observers think H-F and 'Brook shortcomings may have similarity?

Gonna sound like a homer here but I'll say Wilmington. In Coach Reent's tenure he has lost in the playoffs to the eventual state champ 6 or 7 times. Although they have won a state title recently I still feel like they have come up short many years as well. Have ran into a hammer in IC the last two years.

That being said I think winning it all does take a little luck along the way. They have had great teams but sometimes a bad draw or bad game puts an end to their season.

Althoff... and as long as Rochester is there it's not going to change anytime soon.

I'm casting a vote for HF as well..they have a great coach in Craig Buzea...great athletes...and did get to the finals a few seasons back..did win a title in '94...but that was long ago...that program should always be in the semi finals mix regularly..

I'm casting a vote for HF as well..they have a great coach in Craig Buzea...great athletes...and did get to the finals a few seasons back..did win a title in '94...but that was long ago...that program should always be in the semi finals mix regularly..

I can't speak for every game because I obviously did not see every game, but I will say that coaching lost H-F its playoff game against Loyola Academy in 2015. It was awhile ago so I can't remember exactly what it was, but I left the stadium thinking that they blew it (that was a great LA team but HF had just as much or more talent).

I'll disagree on HF and the Beloved (even though we should win every year). Sure both schools have had some impressive individual players, but a handful of top tier athletes doesn't win championships in 8A. You have to be good at most every position and special teams and especially along the lines. A Bailey type player can make up for a shortcoming here or there.

I don't think HF or The Brook is consistently putting 22 good football players out there. There are often times some kids you hide that are starting. LWE was good in 22 positions and hardly lost anything when someone needed a break. Loyola is good in 22 positions and their backups.

The past decade of Loyola teams has been loaded, but even that doesn't guarantee a championship when there are teams close to that talent level. MS has been extremely impressive with their amount of 'ships and Loyola with their amount of appearances.

Reactions: Bowie50
I'll disagree on HF and the Beloved (even though we should win every year). Sure both schools have had some impressive individual players, but a handful of top tier athletes doesn't win championships in 8A. You have to be good at most every position and special teams and especially along the lines. A Bailey type player can make up for a shortcoming here or there.

I don't think HF or The Brook is consistently putting 22 good football players out there. There are often times some kids you hide that are starting. LWE was good in 22 positions and hardly lost anything when someone needed a break. Loyola is good in 22 positions and their backups.

The past decade of Loyola teams has been loaded, but even that doesn't guarantee a championship when there are teams close to that talent level. MS has been extremely impressive with their amount of 'ships and Loyola with their amount of appearances.
HF and Bolingbrook...Perenially there are few teams more athletic, however, they also consistently lack discipline. Seems like it's always been that way.

HF and Bolingbrook...Perenially there are few teams more athletic, however, they also consistently lack discipline. Seems like it's always been that way.
Two of the more disciplined programs you'll find, consistently.

I respectfully disagree.
That's fine. It's okay to be wrong. We all are about one thing or another.

I always find this talking point interesting and not based in the facts nor consistent with observation. In what ways are HF and The Brook "undisciplined"?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT