ADVERTISEMENT

Targeting

I have only seen targeting called for headshots before. Interesting the announcers did not mention possible targeting until 2 or 3 minutes after the play.

It’s a new game. You can’t lead with the helmet or your gone. Coaches better start teaching this or ejection will continue. Fields prolly has cracked ribs.

They are trying to prevent injuries. I have no problem with the ejection after the first. I don’t think it should continue into the next game.

I'd have.to see the replay again. Some said it happened because Fields was spinning out of the way at the last second.

Last edited:
True different play.

On the.play on QB Kruetz said Brutal, whatever he means by that.

Regardless OSU is spanking Clemson. Thanks Dabo.

I can’t believe a coach would say something that stupid before a big game. His head got to big and didn’t think what’s best for his own team. He added fuel to the fire for the Buckeyes. Dumb dumb dumb. What a moron!

Reactions: Solid Snake Pliskin
For anyone that thinks that was a bad call for targeting or spearing. Reference 2014 game between CoM and Benet. Benet player suffered a spinal injury after lowering his head to make a tackle.

Does anyone know how that player/ young man is doing today?

It was a good call, can’t tip ur head down and initiate contact with the helmet as a defensive player. I’m sure coaches are coaching players not to do it, but it’s a fast game and bound to continue to happen.

Still OSU whooped on poor ole clemson. I thought clemson was exposed against ND the first game (clemson D mostly), but I still thought they would win.

OSU was 6-7 games fresher than clemson and it sure showed.

Reactions: atrain97
That play was clear targeting. I also have reservations about the elections or it extending to the next game. Maybe a tiered targeting call like basketball has flagrant 1 and 2?

Targeting rule wasn’t developed for that hit. By no means should that hit cause that kid to get ejected. Especially in THAT game and being a SENIOR.

Just an absolute travesty for that kid.

Rule needs to be changed. But it won’t. Once you go down that road you don’t come back from it

Last edited:
It was a good call, can’t tip ur head down and initiate contact with the helmet as a defensive player. I’m sure coaches are coaching players not to do it, but it’s a fast game and bound to continue to happen.

Still OSU whooped on poor ole clemson. I thought clemson was exposed against ND the first game (clemson D mostly), but I still thought they would win.

OSU was 6-7 games fresher than clemson and it sure showed.
Yeah it was the clemson secondary that wasn't up to snuff this year. The d line is incredible with two true freshmen starting. The LB group was shallow, and the secondary needs some solid recruits.

Yeah it was the clemson secondary that wasn't up to snuff this year. The d line is incredible with two true freshmen starting. The LB group was shallow, and the secondary needs some solid recruits.
Clemson D Coordinator makes 2.4 million a year.......yikes.

I'd have.to see the replay again. Some said it happened because Fields was spinning out of the way at the last second.

Fields spinning made the contact worse. But the targeting was because the defender dropped his head. Keeps his head up through the tackle and looks where he is hitting then it would of just been a solid hit, good form. I agree with the call, sucks it’s an ejection. But unless they introduce a “flagrant 1/2” type scenario, they made the right call. That contact was super similar to the one that ended Ryan Shazier’s career.

A QB, particularly one sliding, seems to be a high-frequency targeting recipient. Statistically, I would expect that to actually be true.

Reactions: colin2229
It’s actually a pretty simple rule. The helmet is meant to protect the person wearing it. It is not meant to be a weapon. You lead with your head your done. They are trying to protect the players from injury especially QBs. The kid did the same thing last year and was ejected and now he did it again. It was definitely the right call and IMO their is no excuse. If he was taught to not lead with his head he hasn’t learned his lesson. My question is a 2-3 time offender of this rule subject to a harsher punishment? How many times does a player need to be ejected to learn. Is the NCAA going to wait until he seriously hurts a player and possibly ends their career. That was a violent hit on Fields punctuated with the crown of his helmet hitting Fields in the ribs. Totally illegal. Right call end of story.

It’s actually a pretty simple rule. The helmet is meant to protect the person wearing it. It is not meant to be a weapon. You lead with your head your done. They are trying to protect the players from injury especially QBs. The kid did the same thing last year and was ejected and now he did it again. It was definitely the right call and IMO their is no excuse. If he was taught to not lead with his head he hasn’t learned his lesson. My question is a 2-3 time offender of this rule subject to a harsher punishment? How many times does a player need to be ejected to learn. Is the NCAA going to wait until he seriously hurts a player and possibly ends their career. That was a violent hit on Fields punctuated with the crown of his helmet hitting Fields in the ribs. Totally illegal. Right call end of story.

I just disagree. It’s irrelevant that hit was on the QB here. He was running in open field and thus no longer a protected QB. I think that it was gets lost here. If it was another position player taking that hit, it’s a no call (possibly).

Too many times decisions by the offense are the cause of these hits. Don’t want to get hit like that...Fields should slide. Don’t want your QB to get hit - then don’t let the DL get to him. Don’t want the WR to get hit coming across the middle - don’t have the QB Mia-read the throw into coverage where he’a
Going to get smoked.

again, yes there are some hits that should not be apart of the game. Defenseless players coming across the middle - don’t lead w your helmet to his helmet.

however, the hit that look place to Fields is what happens what you try to run over a middle linebacker. The game is so fast and there will be times bad hits take Place.

lastly, the punishment is too harsh. Wish there was a judgement call by the refs where they can label it flagrant 1 or 2.

I just disagree. It’s irrelevant that hit was on the QB here. He was running in open field and thus no longer a protected QB. I think that it was gets lost here. If it was another position player taking that hit, it’s a no call (possibly).

Too many times decisions by the offense are the cause of these hits. Don’t want to get hit like that...Fields should slide. Don’t want your QB to get hit - then don’t let the DL get to him. Don’t want the WR to get hit coming across the middle - don’t have the QB Mia-read the throw into coverage where he’a
Going to get smoked.

again, yes there are some hits that should not be apart of the game. Defenseless players coming across the middle - don’t lead w your helmet to his helmet.

however, the hit that look place to Fields is what happens what you try to run over a middle linebacker. The game is so fast and there will be times bad hits take Place.

lastly, the punishment is too harsh. Wish there was a judgement call by the refs where they can label it flagrant 1 or 2.
The rule is also there to protect the player making the hit. With the way he hit Fields, he's lucky he's still walking.

Going to get smoked.

I agree it’s irrelevant if it’s a QB. I have a problem with players leading with their helmet regardless of the player. By the way that goes both ways. RBs should not lead with their head either. The players need to learn to turn or lean their head to the side at the point of impact and use their shoulder pads. The helmet is not a weapon and should not be used as such. It’s their to protect not to hurt a player. We can go back and forth on this but in the end it’s the right call. By the way on am a defense guy. I still feel this player was wrong and hurt his team especially since he was ejected last year for they say type of hit by leading with his helmet. He needs to learn or stop playing the game because he will hurt someone seriously eventually. IMO

Reactions: colin2229
We can agree to disagree. 👍🏻

I am a QB guy and just feel like the defense always gets the raw end of the stick. It’s not fair.

The Clemson guy is trying to tackle a super athletic QB in open field on 3rd and 13 and the tackle is about 2 yards short of the first down. The QBs puts a move on you and then spins. It’s not black and white as easy as it sounds. He’s trying to do whatever to get the guy on the ground short of the 1st down. I see no fault in him he.

I do understand the argument. At the end of the day, the punishment is too harsh for the foul.

There had to be somewhat of an over correction due to all of the concussion issues and negative publicity

There had to be somewhat of an over correction due to all of the concussion issues and negative publicity

Can start a whole new thread on this issue. Pretty much anything in society we can discuss exaggerating solutions to issues.

How bout we start w cancelling a football season due to covid? :)

Reactions: corey90
Can start a whole new thread on this issue. Pretty much anything in society we can discuss exaggerating solutions to issues.

How bout we start w cancelling a football season due to covid? :)

Cleveland receiver out with concussion after being speared with the helmet. Is their no targeting in the NFL? That was a clear targeting but nothing said.Receiver was knocked out. Terrible to see hope, he isn’t hurt to bad.

Cleveland receiver out with concussion after being speared with the helmet. Is their no targeting in the NFL? That was a clear targeting but nothing said.Receiver was knocked out. Terrible to see hope, he isn’t hurt to bad.
Targeting, yes. No ejection though.

Was the right call, but I still have a major problem with ejections. Maybe for the second foul but not the first one unless it’s totally malicious
The rule is fine, the punishment is not. The punishment was an overreaction. The punishment should be 15 yards and a warning. On a second targeting that's when an ejection should happen.

The rule is also there to protect the player making the hit. With the way he hit Fields, he's lucky he's still walking.
I was thinking the same thing when I saw that play.
I’m not a big fan of a lot of the targeting calls I see, but that one could have left him in a wheelchair.

Reactions: corey90
Targeting, yes. No ejection though.

Maybe thats the problem. Kids are not going to change if they see the next level is not concerned. Coaches, teams, players are not really concerned if all they get hit with is a penalty or fines. They will take it seriously if they miss playing time. We keep minimizing how dangerous it is to hit with the helmet. I don’t see any reason they shouldn’t enforce the maximum penalty especially if the players are injured.

Just watching the games yesterday...Players lead with their helmets all the time in the open field and it never gets called.

What is the defender supposed to when a runner is coming straight at them with a full head of steam?

These rules were intended to protect players that were unprotected (QB in the pocket, WR across the middle, etc) ...not Justin Fields running in the open field trying to get a first down knowing that he's about to get hit.

Fields Hit

Just watching the games yesterday...Players lead with their helmets all the time in the open field and it never gets called.

What is the defender supposed to when a runner is coming straight at them with a full head of steam?

These rules were intended to protect players that were unprotected (QB in the pocket, WR across the middle, etc) ...not Justin Fields running in the open field trying to get a first down knowing that he's about to get hit.

Fields Hit

Easy lean his helmet to the right or left and use his shoulder pads. Wait he was looking down at the point of impact so he intentionally used his helmet as a battering ram.

ADVERTISEMENT