ADVERTISEMENT

Targeting

that's the issue....he tried to tackle with his helmet on the side and Field spinned on him. It's not going to be picture perfect technique all the times when the guy you are tackling is top 10 NFL draft pick.

that's the issue....he tried to tackle with his helmet on the side and Field spinned on him. It's not going to be picture perfect technique all the times when the guy you are tackling is top 10 NFL draft pick.

We can agree to disagree. I saw it differently even after watching replays. He never tried to use his pads he went head first eyes looking down at the ground.

Reactions: colin2229
These rules were intended to protect players that were unprotected (QB in the pocket, WR across the middle, etc) ...not Justin Fields running in the open field trying to get a first down knowing that he's about to get hit.

Fields Hit
The rules are there to protect all players, not just defenseless. The crown piece of targeting has nothing to do with a defenseless player because it’s there to discourage knowingly dangerous hits by the tackler. Dropping the head is how kids break their necks. The Clemson player dropped his head. It has nothing to do with the move fields put on. If anything keep your eyes up and your tackling odds go up. Being on the field when a kid breaks his neck is a sickening feeling. The game isn’t the same for awhile for either team or the refs. Targeting has dropped significantly likely because of the teeth of the rule and as a result has likely saved many kids from very serious injury. Inevitably people are going to tackle incorrectly. It’s a fast reactive game. But if the rules can force people to improve technique and their mindset then they’ve done their job

“Inevitably people are going to tackle incorrectly. It’s a fast reactive game.”

this is my point. and the punishment is too harsh for these tires of hits.

Or if your son seriously injured himself by involving his helmet in the tackle.

Would you feel differently if your kid was seriously injured because he was targeted?

theres a reason why there is an ambulance outside the corner of the end zone on Friday nights. It’s a dangerous game and risks to play the game.

Everyone is very aware of that.

Not getting into if my kid gets hurt or anything of that nature. Not going down that road. Obviously I don’t want my kid or anyone’s child to ever get hurt.

I simply don’t think what took place should be called targeting w an injection.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
Skalski hasn't helped his cause in the discussion. Outside the Fields play he's known to go "to the whistle" and maybe a bit after

Reactions: brucealmighy
most would want that outta their Mike backer.
This isn't 1994 anymore. The game has changed and refereeing changed. I would want smart players who adapt and not meatheads who cannot.

Paddy Fisher plays the same position for NU. He's known as a hard hitter, crushing in fact. Was suspended for targeting on a very suspect call in the Music City Bowl, and for a hit on Trace McSorley. His response? "Good call. Bad play on my part,” Fisher said. “Should have let up. Need to be more disciplined. I told Coach Fitz I felt like I let the team down."

So he agrees maybe players need to play within the game...

This isn't 1994 anymore. The game has changed and refereeing changed. I would want smart players who adapt and not meatheads who cannot.

Paddy Fisher plays the same position for NU. He's known as a hard hitter, crushing in fact. Was suspended for targeting on a very suspect call in the Music City Bowl, and for a hit on Trace McSorley. His response? "Good call. Bad play on my part,” Fisher said. “Should have let up. Need to be more disciplined. I told Coach Fitz I felt like I let the team down."

epic,
Very good post. I couldn’t have said it better. Anyone that feels players need to use their helmets to make a tackle has just not evolved to the new game. I was surprised to learn that the NFL does not institute the same punishment as the college players. If coaches and players see the professional players only get penalized and possibly a fine later. This is not enough to change the players mind set at the lower levels.

What is the punishment for high school players?

Hungry for some calzone. Not sure why.

Reactions: epicbret
epic,
Very good post. I couldn’t have said it better. Anyone that feels players need to use their helmets to make a tackle has just not evolved to the new game. I was surprised to learn that the NFL does not institute the same punishment as the college players. If coaches and players see the professional players only get penalized and possibly a fine later. This is not enough to change the players mind set at the lower levels.

Ending up like me from leading with the helmet...

epic,

I don’t think the NFL has interest in taking their multi million dollar investments off the field for poor technique to make an example. They do eject players who are blatantly using their helmets as a weapon though. High school is 15yd penalty but the player can be ejected if it’s flagrant much like the NFL. High school also has 5 officials vs 7/8 in college+replay to confirm if all elements of targeting are there. In D1 they have to confirm targeting, it can’t just be inconclusive so they go with the on field call as it is for most replay situations . I think at the hs level if you institute an ejection you’ll actually see it called less. There are less officials, with not as good of angles on calls, with less training and in general are not as skilled as college/NFL officials. It’s a recipe for inconsistency with a hefty punishment at stake

I don’t think the NFL has interest in taking their multi million dollar investments off the field for poor technique to make an example. They do eject players who are blatantly using their helmets as a weapon though. High school is 15yd penalty but the player can be ejected if it’s flagrant much like the NFL. High school also has 5 officials vs 7/8 in college+replay to confirm if all elements of targeting are there. In D1 they have to confirm targeting, it can’t just be inconclusive so they go with the on field call as it is for most replay situations . I think at the hs level if you institute an ejection you’ll actually see it called less. There are less officials, with not as good of angles on calls, with less training and in general are not as skilled as college/NFL officials. It’s a recipe for inconsistency with a hefty punishment at stake

I agree with most of what you say except punishment. If we don’t hold players accountable then nothing changes. It has to be harsh in order for others to understand the seriousness of the offense.

Replay being available is a big part of the NCAA punishment being so severe though. They have the ability to watch the replays and confirm the call. You see a lot of targeting calls in NCAA that are reviewed and they wave off the penalty. If high school players started being ejected at the same rate as NCAA, but without the available replay, you would have many kids ejected every week for hard, but legal, hits.

Reactions: Chief321
I agree with most of what you say except punishment. If we don’t hold players accountable then nothing changes. It has to be harsh in order for others to understand the seriousness of the offense.
It can’t consistently be officiated well enough at the hs level. It’s hard enough for college guys to get it right and they are trained with hours of tape and guidance, and then have replay to save them. I agree that hits initiated with the crown need to continually be addressed but I also think if you are going to levy a penalty of 11% of someone’s season I think you need to be very consistently correct on it. Sadly even with it just being on a 15yd penalty now, the coaches still lose their mind. I can’t say I’ve seen one that hasn’t been strongly objected to, even when it’s obviously a foul. Can you imagine how much they’d lose their mind if you tossed their kid. I’d also have to give up my edgy membership because no way I could handle the nonsense that would ensue on here

Reactions: Zebra
It can’t consistently be officiated well enough at the hs level. It’s hard enough for college guys to get it right and they are trained with hours of tape and guidance, and then have replay to save them. I agree that hits initiated with the crown need to continually be addressed but I also think if you are going to levy a penalty of 11% of someone’s season I think you need to be very consistently correct on it. Sadly even with it just being on a 15yd penalty now, the coaches still lose their mind. I can’t say I’ve seen one that hasn’t been strongly objected to, even when it’s obviously a foul. Can you imagine how much they’d lose their mind if you tossed their kid. I’d also have to give up my edgy membership because no way I could handle the nonsense that would ensue on here

Lol
I totally get agree and get where your coming from. HS yes agree no replay so no way they can get it right half the time. College and NFL their is no excuse. NFL needs to step it up and at least do what colleges are doing. Kids won’t change until they realize even the best don’t get away with it. Right now their is not a strong enough message IMO.

The targeting rule itself is the right rule and it's what should be the rule. The issue is the penalty/punishment. That was were the overreaction came in when it was first implemented. If it was a 15 yard personal foul and that's it people would have way less of an issue with it. The ejection is really the root of why people have a problem with it.

The targeting rule itself is the right rule and it's what should be the rule. The issue is the penalty/punishment. That was were the overreaction came in when it was first implemented. If it was a 15 yard personal foul and that's it people would have way less of an issue with it. The ejection is really the root of why people have a problem with it.
Agreed....wish they’d do a flagarant 1 and flagrant 2 penalties here.

If deemed to have intent - boot em. If not, 15 yards.

Reactions: Gene K.
Agreed....wish they’d do a flagarant 1 and flagrant 2 penalties here.

If deemed to have intent - boot em. If not, 15 yards.

Targeting should result in the opposing team being awarded field goal kicks from 45 yards out. 3 to make 2. Each made attempt equals 1 point.

Reactions: colin2229
ADVERTISEMENT