ADVERTISEMENT

State Championship location

From a Geography standpoint Normal/ISU makes the most sense for the entire state. It’s not a bad drive from Chicagoland and also not a bad drive from the population centers in southern IL. I don’t know what the new facilities look like at ISU though (someone said they were doing some renovations?). What is the stadium capacity of ISU’s stadium?

According to Wikipedia it’s 13,391 seating capacity.

What is considered a really good crowd size for a HS football championship game between say the 5a and 8a levels?

What is considered a really good crowd size for a HS football championship game between say the 5a and 8a levels?

Not sure about a championship game - but if you get a team or two in the finals that haven’t been or haven’t been in a long time you could see a big crowd.

The largest crowd I have Personally seen live for a game in Illinois was one of the Neuqua/Waubonsie games at North Central (it was a regular season game). They brought out the portable endzone stands and the place was over flowing with people. I don’t know exactly how many were there but I’m guessing 8000 to 9000 people? This was a few years ago 2011, 2012 and maybe 2014. One of the games was just insanely packed.

Right. If we could all be on the turf it is a wonderful experience..agreed as I was on the turf in 2012 with LWE vs. Glenbard West. Would you rather see your favorite band play in a half filled Soldier Field or a packed venue at Wrigley Field. Size matters. Again..I am glad you had a fantastic time. I have my opinion, you have yours. Sitting in the stands at NIU last year was better than 2005 in Champaign LWE vs. Maine South which was considered a huge turnout at the time. Not sure if there are any attendance numbers available. I have travelled to all in different capacities with LWE..2 in Champaign, 1 in Dekalb so I am more than a TV viewer. Also, have been on the turf at ISU 6 times, Louisville twice, Lucas Oil maybe a half dozen as well..turf level does not compare with being in the stands. Appreciate your support of U of I.

I enjoyed U if I in 2005 it was a big crowd and the experience was awesome. No complaints. My son loved playing in the big stadium.

How does it compare with Hunt Library at NC State University?

Well first of all, the Cook Library is a lot closer. Then, it has what I want: books, periodicals, video, programs, AV equipment ... all convenient for its patrons. I don't think your Hunt library provides these sorts of services (not primarily, anyway). But, iI'm ever nearby and I want to read the NY Times, I'll stop by and see if they'll let a non-resident into the reading room. They should, seeing that most of the residents might not be able to read.

Not sure about a championship game - but if you get a team or two in the finals that haven’t been or haven’t been in a long time you could see a big crowd.

The largest crowd I have Personally seen live for a game in Illinois was one of the Neuqua/Waubonsie games at North Central (it was a regular season game). They brought out the portable endzone stands and the place was over flowing with people. I don’t know exactly how many were there but I’m guessing 8000 to 9000 people? This was a few years ago 2011, 2012 and maybe 2014. One of the games was just insanely packed.
Largest crowd I ever seen at state was Batavia at NIU

Largest crowd I ever seen at state was Batavia at NIU

I was at the Montini SHG game that preceded the Batavia Richards game in 2013. You are correct as it appeared the entire town of Batavia was at NIU for that game.
It was so crowded with Batavia fans waiting for the 5A game to end, that it was difficult to exit the stadium that day.

Reactions: mchsalumni
Bones why so cryptic? What specifically are you disgusted by?
I don't think it was cryptic at all. You said you were socially liberal on... lets use the abortion example you gave. However, you clearly support people who vow to take that freedom away from women, the freedom to have sovereignty over her own body. You support these people so that you MIGHT save some tax dollars due what you perceive their tax policies are. My question is how much in tax savings is worth taking away that right from women (and really all of us)?

Look at the damage being done to the voting rights act. And the subsequent actions of the politicians you support to suppress voting in certain groups. How many additional tax dollars in your pocket justify stripping someone of their vote?

As for the discussion over where the games are played, I stand by it that any college or pro stadium is too large for Illinois' championships unless we get a dome. No one wants to go out in this mess if their team is not playing. And people are not staying in the cold for all 4 games. Perhaps if we get a dome both of those statements change. If not they can hold the games at Joliet Memorial and have plenty extra seating.

Not since 1991 as a student.

Also an NIU student 1987-1992. Go Huskies!

The Batavia crowd in 2013 was legendary for the IHSA tournament.
I think 5A-8A @ NIU and 1A-4A @ ISU would be ideal.

Does anyone know if NIU allows the teams to warm up pre-game in the new indoor practice facility at NIU. It is attached to the north end zone. Nice facility!

Reactions: markmacaluso
I don't think it was cryptic at all. You said you were socially liberal on... lets use the abortion example you gave. However, you clearly support people who vow to take that freedom away from women, the freedom to have sovereignty over her own body. You support these people so that you MIGHT save some tax dollars due what you perceive their tax policies are. My question is how much in tax savings is worth taking away that right from women (and really all of us)?

Look at the damage being done to the voting rights act. And the subsequent actions of the politicians you support to suppress voting in certain groups. How many additional tax dollars in your pocket justify stripping someone of their vote?

So I think what you’re saying is really more of an indictment of the current 2 party system we have in place. There are libertarian candidates that more closely align with my viewpoints and unlike others I often vote for them even when I’m told I’m wasting my vote or that by default my vote is helping another candidate. Unfortunately though, those people are mostly correct because the vast majority of voters won’t even consider casting a vote for anyone other than a Democrat or Republican even if there’s another choice that better fits their beliefs. We are stuck in a bad spot in this country of often having to choose the lesser of two evils.

Now, as for your assumption of who I personally support and their stances an abortion or voting rights... I haven’t supported a candidate who has pledged to ban abortion. I also haven’t supported a candidate that wants to take away the right to vote from anyone who meets the lawful criteria to vote. Having to show some form of proof that you are eligible to lawfully vote isn’t an idea I want to dismiss as completely out of hand but I agree it should be weighed against the likelihood that it could disenfranchise specific groups or even make it impossible for some to legally vote. I have no perfect solution for that topic but I think we need to keep working on a solution.

It always seems to come down to The lesser of two evils,

Sometimes I feel like it is an avoidance/avoidance paradox.

In a purely hypothetical someone challenged me with along time ago in a randomly deep conversation - the question was asked “would you rather lose an arm or a leg if you had to pick one to lose” (this was way before that Saw Horror Movie).

I thought about it and pondered it for a bit and then said - a leg. My reasoning was that prosthetics for legs were way better and no one had developed a good prosthetic to replace the movements and dexterity of the human hand. So I would be a little better off with one of the blade runner legs.

It always seems to come down to The lesser of two evils,

Sometimes I feel like it is an avoidance/avoidance paradox.

In a purely hypothetical someone challenged me with along time ago in a randomly deep conversation - the question was asked “would you rather lose an arm or a leg if you had to pick one to lose” (this was way before that Saw Horror Movie).

I thought about it and pondered it for a bit and then said - a leg. My reasoning was that prosthetics for legs were way better and no one had developed a good prosthetic to replace the movements and dexterity of the human hand. So I would be a little better off with one of the blade runner legs.

Lol. I agree with your choice and the logic.

Sounds like you hung out with some interesting characters.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
So I think what you’re saying is really more of an indictment of the current 2 party system we have in place. There are libertarian candidates that more closely align with my viewpoints and unlike others I often vote for them even when I’m told I’m wasting my vote or that by default my vote is helping another candidate. Unfortunately though, those people are mostly correct because the vast majority of voters won’t even consider casting a vote for anyone other than a Democrat or Republican even if there’s another choice that better fits their beliefs. We are stuck in a bad spot in this country of often having to choose the lesser of two evils.

Now, as for your assumption of who I personally support and their stances an abortion or voting rights... I haven’t supported a candidate who has pledged to ban abortion. I also haven’t supported a candidate that wants to take away the right to vote from anyone who meets the lawful criteria to vote. Having to show some form of proof that you are eligible to lawfully vote isn’t an idea I want to dismiss as completely out of hand but I agree it should be weighed against the likelihood that it could disenfranchise specific groups or even make it impossible for some to legally vote. I have no perfect solution for that topic but I think we need to keep working on a solution.
One of my best friends is a libertarian, but he votes D. We were discussing this among other things at Lunar this weekend out in Villa Park. We disagree on taxes and regulations; he is an architect and I in the insurance industry. We mulled over how regulations affect both of our careers and how taxes affect the type of society we want to live in. But those are topics that I consider politics. We agreed that we cannot even get to the politics when other people's equality is on the ballot. Yes, it is the result of a two party system that one side seems to think some people are more equal than others. But that system would crumble if the social issues were taken off the table and it's not going to be taken off of the table by people seeking equality under the law.

One of my best friends is a libertarian, but he votes D. We were discussing this among other things at Lunar this weekend out in Villa Park. We disagree on taxes and regulations; he is an architect and I in the insurance industry. We mulled over how regulations affect both of our careers and how taxes affect the type of society we want to live in. But those are topics that I consider politics. We agreed that we cannot even get to the politics when other people's equality is on the ballot. Yes, it is the result of a two party system that one side seems to think some people are more equal than others. But that system would crumble if the social issues were taken off the table and it's not going to be taken off of the table by people seeking equality under the law.

I can tell that you and I would absolutely have a lively debate on a wide variety of topics. The political climate is really contaminated now. Reasonable and respectful disagreement on social issues has gone by the wayside in favor of demonizing the “other side”. Hypocrisy reigns supreme today and each party claims to have the moral high ground and uses key buzz words like equality and justice to spin the narrative. Most people have dug themselves in so deeply and bought so fully into their sides propaganda that reality has become an abstract concept that’s limited to an individual or group’s perception. “My views are correct and selfless and your views are flawed and selfish.” encapsulates they way we now engage in debate. Seeking to understand and learn has become a lost art.

That said, I have thoroughly enjoyed this little back and forth and I do respect and value your opinions. I usually come away smarter when I encounter someone that thinks differently than I do. I feel bad for people that surround themselves with only people they can agree with. I’m sure we have irritated many on this board enough already so I’m moving on (for now). Sorry for my little tantrum the other night when I suggested you and MC63 should leave the country. Not my finest moment.

I believe you mentioned Seattle area before.

High school East of the cascades (in the rural part of the state). College at University of Washington Then worked in LA, Portland, then moved back for work to Seattle for about 5 years and then Cleveland for couple years and Chicagoland for the past 14 years.

I miss the mountains and the ocean but if you have to live in the Midwest Chicagoland is pretty good (assuming you exclude the state being bankrupt and the taxes being astronomically high when combining the property taxes, the sales tax, and the state income tax).

High school East of the cascades (in the rural part of the state). College at University of Washington Then worked in LA, Portland, then moved back for work to Seattle for about 5 years and then Cleveland for couple years and Chicagoland for the past 14 years.

I miss the mountains and the ocean but if you have to live in the Midwest Chicagoland is pretty good (assuming you exclude the state being bankrupt and the taxes being astronomically high when combining the property taxes, the sales tax, and the state income tax).

Chicago is the jewel of the Midwest, but we are beginning to see the cracks with the taxes and cost of living, crime, corruption etc.

The mid-south is where it's at. People flowing to TN, NC, KY. Low cost of living and growth, growth, growth.

Reactions: Dual-triple_threat
I can tell that you and I would absolutely have a lively debate on a wide variety of topics. The political climate is really contaminated now. Reasonable and respectful disagreement on social issues has gone by the wayside in favor of demonizing the “other side”. Hypocrisy reigns supreme today and each party claims to have the moral high ground and uses key buzz words like equality and justice to spin the narrative. Most people have dug themselves in so deeply and bought so fully into their sides propaganda that reality has become an abstract concept that’s limited to an individual or group’s perception. “My views are correct and selfless and your views are flawed and selfish.” encapsulates they way we now engage in debate. Seeking to understand and learn has become a lost art.

That said, I have thoroughly enjoyed this little back and forth and I do respect and value your opinions. I usually come away smarter when I encounter someone that thinks differently than I do. I feel bad for people that surround themselves with only people they can agree with. I’m sure we have irritated many on this board enough already so I’m moving on (for now). Sorry for my little tantrum the other night when I suggested you and MC63 should leave the country. Not my finest moment.

Wasn't going to comment on this thread as I really don't like conflict. Seen enough of it in my life, but Mark you hit the nail on the head with your first paragraph. There is no such thing as "seeking to understand and learn". It is now "I am right and anything you say if you don't agree with me is racist, homophobic, Islamophbic, anti immigrant, etc, etc." Pure garbage from those whose agenda you don't agree with.

I can say this.......born and raised in Chicago.......a couple of degrees, including a law degree....left awhile ago for Indiana....would not go back to Illinois if they gave me the state for free....have a son, very educated, now on staff at the U of M....he will probably leave in the next few few years for something else...I think (my assumption) that the liberals are driving him crazy

My wife and I discuss the subject of moving all the time. We're 100% committed. One of the greatest gifts we can give our children (in addition to a sincere faith and a good education) is helping them get established in another state - not Illinois.

This means sending them to school out of state and following them. It would be a tragedy of repeating the cycle if we allowed them to remain in Illinois, fall in love, get married, have children and make a life in a state that is destined to fail.

Daughter going to school in VA already.
Putting the house on the marking this spring.
Beginning to discuss a lateral move within my company...

There is a McDonalds in pretty much every city. Your career will be fine no matter where you live.

Dude - I don't even know you. Why are you firing shots at me?

Don’t feel bad - People get angry when the top quartile of taxpayers are leaving or planning to leave. And when they get angry they lash out.

You see it’s a vicious cycle - as the tax revenue falls due to the largest payers leaving (businesses and individuals) the only way to replace the revenue is to raise the taxes on the remaining folks and/or remaining businesses (Or God forbid attempt to reduce expenses). Then more folks reach their breaking point and the vicious anti virtuous cycle continues and accelerates. Most people understand this and it will scare the hell out of a lot of folks not paying much into the system.

Don’t feel bad - People get angry when the top quartile of taxpayers are leaving or planning to leave. And when they get angry they lash out.

You see it’s a vicious cycle - as the tax revenue falls due to the largest payers leaving (businesses and individuals) the only way to replace the revenue is to raise the taxes on the remaining folks and/or remaining businesses (Or God forbid attempt to reduce expenses). Then more folks reach their breaking point and the vicious anti virtuous cycle continues and accelerates. Most people understand this and it will scare the hell out of a lot of folks not paying much into the system.

Well said.
You left out the people not paying into the system. They get a free ride (mostly). They aren’t going anywhere. They continue to leach and are a drag on the State and it’s taxpayers.

Cat Box: You have always been a great poster and have the respect of most of the people on this board. Heaven forbid you would speak your mind, attempt to improve your family situation and then have some nasty remarks made about what you have posted. Some people really disgust me and even though I don't know that poster he is definitely one of them.

This is not for anyone in particular, but ... you all seem to overlook the huge number of tech-educated young people moving to Chicago and living downtown and in neighborhoods three to four miles north and south of Madison, and west to Damen. There are milleniels (sp?) moving to apartments within walking distance of Sox Park.

Chicago is a very popular destination of college seniors (despite bordering on Indiana.)

This is not for anyone in particular, but ... you all seem to overlook the huge number of tech-educated young people moving to Chicago and living downtown and in neighborhoods three to four miles north and south of Madison, and west to Damen. There are milleniels (sp?) moving to apartments within walking distance of Sox Park.

Chicago is a very popular destination of college seniors (despite bordering on Indiana.)

You are not wrong. Chicago is a hotbed for jobs. It is a magnet for college grads. Then they get married and seek a house to purchase. They can’t afford a decent house in a decent neighborhood unless they move to Frankfurt, Oswego, Elburn, Huntley, Grayslake etc. They exchange “affordable housing” for a 3 hour round trip commute, crank out a couple kids and wonder why they don’t have time to coach little league.

One day they wake up and realize they could live in Nashville or Raleigh for significantly less, not shovel snow and improve their overall quality of life.

I can say this.......born and raised in Chicago.......a couple of degrees, including a law degree....left awhile ago for Indiana....would not go back to Illinois if they gave me the state for free....have a son, very educated, now on staff at the U of M....he will probably leave in the next few few years for something else...I think (my assumption) that the liberals are driving him crazy
Agreed. Not sure how long I could hang around Columbia, MO either.

This is very true and many HCs are relocating downtown again.

Wasn't going to comment on this thread as I really don't like conflict. Seen enough of it in my life, but Mark you hit the nail on the head with your first paragraph. There is no such thing as "seeking to understand and learn". It is now "I am right and anything you say if you don't agree with me is racist, homophobic, Islamophbic, anti immigrant, etc, etc." Pure garbage from those whose agenda you don't agree with.

You’re a good egg Gene. Time for me to hang up the political chat and get back to football. How is Montini looking for next year? Returning enough starters?

I enjoyed U if I in 2005 it was a big crowd and the experience was awesome. No complaints. My son loved playing in the big stadium.[/QUOT
I assume you are referring to the LWE vs MS game - that was probably the biggest crowd I witnessed for an IHSA championship game - I remember taking the walk to the MS side to see what the LWE crowd looked like - it was very impressive. While in grade school, I remember St Laurence playing Phillips in the 1973 Prep Bowl - about 42K

You’re a good egg Gene. Time for me to hang up the political chat and get back to football. How is Montini looking for next year? Returning enough starters?
Montini should be okay next year as a lot of kids starting this year were junior and a few sophs. Replacing our RB Fendanzo will be a key to well Montini does next year. Like to see more size on the Dline as that has been our achilles heel the last couple of years. We are losing a couple of real good players in LB Bruscianelli and WR/DB Scott West.

Montini should be okay next year as a lot of kids starting this year were junior and a few sophs. Replacing our RB Fendanzo will be a key to well Montini does next year. Like to see more size on the Dline as that has been our achilles heel the last couple of years. We are losing a couple of real good players in LB Bruscianelli and WR/DB Scott West.

That sounds promising for Montini. Replacing 3 or 4 high quality players isn't too bad at all.

ADVERTISEMENT