ADVERTISEMENT

State Championship location

the games should be at NIU and ISU. Smaller stadiums no 40000 empty seats. ISU should have never given up the games (thanks Todd Berry moron) great show case for ISU and Bloomington-Normal. NIU was a great place also.

My guess is once the games are up for rebid ISU will be a very strong player....and they just missed out on this go around because they were still in the middle of the construction/renovations so they couldn't bid until everything was completed.

Judging by how many in state kids commit to the Illini it doesn’t seem like many are dreaming of playing at Memorial Stadium either.
Interesting, you must have missed Tim's article from earlier this week - https://edgytim.rivals.com/news/homegrown-offensive-line-leads-resurgent-illini-attack

Check out all of Tim's posts on recruiting visits, many include Illinois. I think there are still some kids in the state that want to play Big Ten football. Last post, happy thanksgiving.

Check out all of Tim's posts on recruiting visits, many include Illinois. I think there are still some kids in the state that want to play Big Ten football. Last post, happy thanksgiving.[/QUOTE]

THE Illinois State University is where it should be. If I were a high school recruit I'd rather play for the Huskies or Redbirds than the current Illini team! (ISU did beat Northwestern a couple years back, more recently than the Illini have managed).

Never experienced ISU so I'll take you all word for it (quick ride down 55).....But NIU is a better option than Illini due to stadium size, ease of travel (I-88 From Chicago ), and Fattys. Last year's Prairie Ridge + Batavia crowd was awesome along with the Chicago fans supporting Phillips. Venue should be close enough to accommodate big class football rather than small class IMO since they won't be separate . For those 1-4A who complain , start season 1 week early to have State one week early for those classes.

Is it written in stone that all classes need to be played at the same location?

Playing 1A-4A downstate and 5A-8A at NIU/Northwestern would just make too much sense.

Reactions: markmacaluso
Is it written in stone that all classes need to be played at the same location?

Playing 1A-4A downstate and 5A-8A at NIU/Northwestern would just make too much sense.
The IHSA tried that and it was not a success It seemed disjointed having 5 and 6A in Evanston while others played elsewhere

Judging by how many in state kids commit to the Illini it doesn’t seem like many are dreaming of playing at Memorial Stadium either.

@ClownBaby
@Pionner73
@privatone
I congratulate you all for roasting the foolish pro-Memorial Stadium comments.

Anyone who believes games in Champaign at that mosoleum are better than games at Huskie Stadium in DeKalb is a nut job.

Reactions: Quags57 and Gene K.
University of Illinois is NOT a good location for IHSA Championship games. Soldier Field is NOT a good location for any HS game. There simply is not any game played at the HS level in the state of Illinois that will render the need for a stadium capacity more than 20,000. This is not Texas. Playing in an empty arena is not conducive to a positive fan experience. ISU, NIU are the logical choices moving forward.

ISU was and is the perfect venue for the championship games. Like Edgy said, ISU didn’t bid last time around because of renovations but it’s even more the better spot now. Perfect size and location and it’ll be the venue again soon.

Texas spreads it out over 3 days I think. What about this schedule? 1A Thu 3pm, 2A Thu 7pm, 3A Fri 11am, 4A Fri 3pm, 5A Fri 7pm, 6A Sat 11am , 7A Sat 3pm, 8A Sat 7pm. This switch may also lead to more Friday playoff games. Rotation of championship venues is the best thing. The one location and addition of classes has absolutely killed the atmosphere at the basketball state finals.

Last edited:
Reactions: juschill
Texas spreads it out over 3 days I think. What about this schedule? 1A Thu 3pm, 2A Thu 7pm, 3A Fri 11am, 4A Fri 3pm, 5A Fri 7pm, 6A Sat 11am , 7A Sat 3pm, 8A Sat 7pm. This switch may also lead to more Friday playoff games.

Texas has 12 state title games. 2 per class.

Texas has 12 state title games. 2 per class.

Texas has a population of 28.3 million people.
Illinois has 12.8 million (and shrinking*).
Illinois has more state championship games per capita than Texas.

*Did you know Illinois lost a net 115,000 people in 2017 and averages 1 person leaving the state every 4.6 minutes? Illinois has lost 643,000 residents to other states since 2010.
https://www.illinoispolicy.org/illinois-losing-1-resident-every-4-6-minutes-to-other-states/

Last edited:
Texas has a population of 28.3 million people.
Illinois has 12.8 million (and shrinking*).
Illinois has more state championship games per capita than Texas.

*Did you know Illinois lost a net 115,000 people in 2017 and averages 1 person leaving the state every 4.6 minutes? Illinois has lost 643,000 residents to other states since 2010.
https://www.illinoispolicy.org/illinois-losing-1-resident-every-4-6-minutes-to-other-states/

I hope the door doesn't hit them in the a@@.

@ClownBaby
@Pionner73
@privatone
I congratulate you all for roasting the foolish pro-Memorial Stadium comments.

Anyone who believes games in Champaign at that mosoleum are better than games at Huskie Stadium in DeKalb is a nut job.

You might not want to hear this, but I agree with you completely. The Champaign stadium looks like it was designed to be a prison.

Sorry, I'll try to do better in the future.

Reactions: Relist8 and Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT