Naz
Phillips
Rochester
IC
GCMS
Lena

Only 2 upsets with Naz and GCMS for me.
Only potential blowout I think is Phillips and LWE if they produce TO’s

I think IC will go back to blowout mode on the turf.
They clearly play better on artificial.
I think Phillips will shut down Dunlap, might have a top 10 defense in the stat regardless of class.

LeWin
GCMS
IC
Rochester
Phillips
Nazareth
LZ
LWE

Not familiar enough with 1A and 2A, so I'll pass on those two classes. The rest?

LWE
LZ
PR
Phillips
Rochester (6 of 7....will continue to make a mockery of the selectective application of the success factor).
IC

The boys in Bloomington would be happy with the above results. If it comes to pass, only one private school (although some believe Phillips to be open boundary) wins the title.

Last edited:
Shouldn't Rochester be in class 11a by now???

I'm intrigued by PR/Naz. Does PR win again like everyone predicted at the beginning of the year or does Naz stay hot?

For Naz to win they must....

A. Figure out how to defend this offense which nobody has a clue but Cary Grove. Every player on defense must read their keys.

B. Must have a plan for OL #77. Yes he's even more important than Evans. Evans likes to hide behind #77 until he sees the slighest hole and then he breaks through.

#77 takes out 2 or 3 of your guys on defense every play. So it's like PR has 11 guys on offense but you only have 9 guys on defense.

C. Try to contain Evans. Hit him low because he's hard to tackle.

Wassup

Last edited:
I don’t think this is what Naz will do but putting Lee over Jenkins could neutralize him, but then it probably limits Lee’s impact too.

Hmm. From getting projected to be blown out in one game to being favored in the next...

Hmm. From getting projected to be blown out in one game to being favored in the next...
Well, I picked LWE in the Edgy Challenge and see no reason to change now. The QB injury is a concern, but LA has numerous injuries as well. Should be a good one.

LWE
LZ
PR
Phillips
If any of them are within a TD I will be shocked.

I like Batavia this weekend. They have an adaptive offense much like Geneva in 2011 when they put 32 on LZ in a lose. They can run spread to power I and everything in between. Batavia’s defense is also very, very good this year. I expect low scoring with the Bulldogs coming out on top.

Reactions: BataviaDogs1
I believe LA is a two TD dog in this one. LWE is fantastic and so was MS. Too many injuries and lots of underclassmen playing for the Ramblers. LWE 28-14.

I like Batavia this weekend. They have an adaptive offense much like Geneva in 2011 when they put 32 on LZ in a lose. They can run spread to power I and everything in between. Batavia’s defense is also very, very good this year. I expect low scoring with the Bulldogs coming out on top.

When did Geneva play LZ? Also I don’t think any of the current LZ players were on that 2011 team but I’ll check

Reactions: Wolffan64
When did Geneva play LZ? Also I don’t think any of the current LZ players were on that 2011 team but I’ll check

The sarcasm is strong in this one.

2011 first round. That was to illustrate how a well rounded O, which can attack in multiple formations, is the hardest to defend. Probe the weakness and then adapt. Geneva lost that one 35-32. Put up 32 on the LZ defense, but lost. Next week Glenbard West put up 3 against LZ. Semifinals Rockford Boylan put up 16 in a win and won 7a that year. LZ had a good defense in 2011. LZ has a good defense in 2017.

I’m a Geneva guy so I’m supposed to hate Batavia, but I don’t. Those are good kids. I don’t think this board is giving them much of a chance because LZ beat Rita and MC. I’m saying they do.

Reactions: BataviaDogs1
I do remember that game actually. Was a great game very back and forth.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. They earned the right to be there so clearly they have a chance.

Reactions: amishhunter
LWE
LZ
Naz
Phillips
Rochester
IC
GCMS
Lena

LWE
LZ
Naz
Phillips
Rochester
IC
GCMS
Lena

8A - Loyola - With nine state championships since the IHSA went to eight classes 16 years ago, the Chicago Catholic Blue is arguably the best large-school conference in the state; and Loyola dominated the conference this year.

7A - Lake Zurich - As good a season as Batavia has had, they did not win their conference championship. Winning the state championship is too much to ask.

6A - Nazareth - Cary-Grove played Prairie Ridge tough two times this year, while also losing to first-round losers Huntley and South Elgin. Nazareth squeaks by in the upset.

5A - Phillips - If Sterling couldn't stop them with the home field, Dunlap isn't going to stop them in DeKalb.

4A - Rochester - Six state championships in seven years. Enough said.

3A - Immaculate Conception - Pleasant Plains finished fourth in the Sangamo Conference.

2A - Maroa-Forsyth - The Heart of Illinois Conference, in which Gibson City plays, hasn't won a state football championship in a very long time.

1A - Lena-Winslow - Five teams have won 10 state championships from the Northwest Upstate Conference over the last 16 years, including two by Lena-Winslow.

8A - Loyola - With nine state championships since the IHSA went to eight classes 16 years ago, the Chicago Catholic Blue is arguably the best large-school conference in the state; and Loyola dominated the conference this year.

7A - Lake Zurich - As good a season as Batavia has had, they did not win their conference championship. Winning the state championship is too much to ask.

6A - Nazareth - Cary-Grove played Prairie Ridge tough two times this year, while also losing to first-round losers Huntley and South Elgin. Nazareth squeaks by in the upset.

5A - Phillips - If Sterling couldn't stop them with the home field, Dunlap isn't going to stop them in DeKalb.

3A - Immaculate Conception - Pleasant Plains finished fourth in the Sangamo Conference.

2A - Maroa-Forsyth - The Heart of Illinois Conference, in which Gibson City plays, hasn't won a state football championship in a very long time.

1A - Lena-Winslow - Five teams have won 10 state championships from the Northwest Upstate Conference over the last 16 years, including two by Lena-Winslow.
The CCL-Blue has only won 2 titles in 8A in 16 years, a 12.5% portion. CCL-Blue has lots of trouble winning the big one in 8A. lWE has played amuch tougher schedule than Loyola and will win with its great defense on Saturday.

Reactions: jcrewx7

Not sure where you are getting your info, Alex.

Deer Creek - Mackinaw won 2A last year in 2016 35-7 over Maroa
Downs (Tri Valley) won 2A in 2015 over Auburn 41-8

Both these schools are HOIC and not only won recently, they won big.

I think GCMS vs. Maroa will be a good one though.

The sarcasm is strong in this one.

2011 first round. That was to illustrate how a well rounded O, which can attack in multiple formations, is the hardest to defend. Probe the weakness and then adapt. Geneva lost that one 35-32. Put up 32 on the LZ defense, but lost. Next week Glenbard West put up 3 against LZ. Semifinals Rockford Boylan put up 16 in a win and won 7a that year. LZ had a good defense in 2011. LZ has a good defense in 2017.

I’m a Geneva guy so I’m supposed to hate Batavia, but I don’t. Those are good kids. I don’t think this board is giving them much of a chance because LZ beat Rita and MC. I’m saying they do.
I’m also a Geneva guy and Morris was our most hated rival ... but I’m certainly pulling for them to beat Rochester.

Reactions: 89morrisgrad

I'd like to know how 6A CG losing to 8A Huntley and South Elgin has anything to do with PR's chances in the 6A championship. You can't put the CG/PR games in there for predicting the state final. These teams are intense rivals that play pretty much the exact same game.

Last edited:
Not sure where you are getting your info, Alex.

Deer Creek - Mackinaw won 2A last year in 2016 35-7 over Maroa
Downs (Tri Valley) won 2A in 2015 over Auburn 41-8

Both these schools are HOIC and not only won recently, they won big.

I think GCMS vs. Maroa will be a good one though.
My apologies, you are right. I was looking at the specific division in which Gibson City plays, which is the small-school division. Deer-Creek Mackinaw and Downs Tri-Valley play in the large-school division. Although there are a small number of cross-over games each year, they do not count in the conference standings. Gibson City played neither Downs Tri-Valley nor Deer Creek-Mackinaw this year. Nevertheless, Gibson City is having a special season and, like you, I expect it to be a good game.

The CCL-Blue has only won 2 titles in 8A in 16 years, a 12.5% portion. CCL-Blue has lots of trouble winning the big one in 8A. lWE has played amuch tougher schedule than Loyola and will win with its great defense on Saturday.
This is a valid poin
This is a valid point. The Southwest Suburban Conference has won four 8A titles during the same period of time.

Dee-Mack plays in the HOIC. They won the title last year. 365 days is long a time though, to some.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT