ADVERTISEMENT

starting lineup of your all-time favorite players for your school

For Joliet Catholic.....

my frame of reference is mostly late 80s to today with some absences in the mid 90s.

QB....Sopko (Bourg and Ruettiger)
RB/forget the WR...Zwierzynski, Ivlow, Isaac, Randle, Benson (Ferguson, McKeon)
FB...Alstott (Iannantone)
OL...Furcron, Maloney, Fonck, Jadron, Butler (Witt, Krumviede)
TE...Kolodziej (Sheppard)
DL/LB...Goolsby, Jeske, McShane, Clancy, Greenback, Koren, Stockman (Aguirre, Krisch)
DB....Buchanan, Jaworski, Weis, Meyer (Rotnicki, M Jones, and bonus Jabril Williams)
ST....Bravo (Tomasino, Van Tassell)

Special teams honorable mentions simply to get a state champ RB and 2x state champ QB some props on the team because they were also place kickers . VT also had a huge winning kick against MC in 99.

also threw malin Jones in with DBs to get him some love. The 07 center Fonck gets the nod at OL solely because of his work in the title game handling Lemonts Pocic. Went with athletic qbs because why not.
I don’t know if you could classify Alstott as a FB in high school. He was all RB.

I’ll try my best with spelling. Years are 76 to 85
QBs Marty Strocchia, Al Zaleski
RBs WRs Tom Kingsbury, Joe Gorman, John O’Neill, Scott Craig, Dave Moritz, Paul Thibodeaux
OL Jim Lang, Kevin Kehoe, Jim Lick, Tom Knoebel, Mark McGowan, Paul Mausch, John Zaleski, Jason Cegielski, Joe Allen
TE Jim Byrne, Tim Walsh
DL Mike Rafalin, Ed Duffy, Eddie Randle, John Zaleski
LB/DBs Joe Barry, Pat Bayers, Mark Zavagnin, Ron Weissenhofer, Joe Jenkins, Tim Murney, Phil Foley, Mark Kelly, John Foley

Spec Teams Punter John Zakeski, Kicker Pat Jones

edited: placed the players in chronological order from early (late 70s) to mid 80s)

Did Zaleski sign with ND? If so, where did he go after leaving ND?

great list btw. Growing up at 90th & California, Zvagnin was a legend

Reactions: eireog
Mount Carmel

QB Tony Carey 61
HM Rob Rugai 87, John Welsh 96

RB Bobby Sanders 90, jovan Harbon 95, Nairobi Allen 88 Demar White 86, Kenenna Odeluga 2020

FB Mark Bornholdt

TE Mark Norville 88

WR Alec Thomas 2018, Nate turner 86, Tom Leyden 94, Billy Phelan 92

OL Steve Edwards Mark Antonetti, Jalen Grant 2020, Bo O’Rourke 93

DL Bud Ruel 61, Brendan Gill 95, Simion Rice 92, Billy Nolan 86

LB Jerry Schumacher, Gary Casper 87, Tony Furjanic

DB Marty O’Brian 2020, Tony Mazurkawicz 92, Terry Ward 86
TL? Over Chris Calloway??

I knew Rugai from CK. He was the star athlete from the neighborhood all the younger kids looked up too. Was a great guy then and now. I believe he started a few games at Northern Illinois to. Interested to see ur list?
CK pipeline

Wilmington
I am picking who I think some of the bests are at these positions. Not necessarily who I enjoyed watching. I know there were threads in the past about your teams best, but I never did it. So same thing whatever.
Also Tried not to pick anyone for more than one position.

1. QB - Not much to choose from here, Not known for our passing.
Casey Drown HM Dillon Roark

2. WR/RB Going with 4 RB (No particular order), then one WR pick.
Damien Anderson, Brady Wilkins, Jason Banning, Owen Weaver RBs Ryan Friddle at WR HM Cort Scheel

3. FB (power back) - Kind of cheating since it says powerback, dont think my pick was a FB but he ran damn hard.
Jeremy Bailey HM Kyle Dillon

4. OL - Jake Agamy, Chris Cunnings, Older (Matt?) Lyday, Derek Romano, Derek Kirchner HM Bryan Flood Mike Denninger

5. TE - Alex Zlomie

6. DL/LB - Lodi Vercelli, Tony Vercelli, Steve Lairomaitis, Mike Flores, Nick Meents Andy Cooper Chris Molle HM Brett Farmer

7. DB - TJ Hansen, John Vanduyne, Mason Southall, Tim Talley HM Steve St Jean

8. Special Teams - Shane Longest

Montini

QB Rhode, Brazziel

WR J Westerkamp, B Westerkamp, Thornton, West, Borsellino

RB Fedanzo, Walker, Gorrell

LB Embrey, Kapp, Brucianelli

DB's Last Year's Team

Line J Johnson, Tim Fugger

Honorable Mention - Nick Campanella

I will work on the rest or someone can help me out.

How about John Arlis?

Reactions: mchsalumni
LA

1. QB - Peter Patton Peter Pujals
2. WR/RB - Adrian Autry/ Pat Naughton/ Dara Laja/ Ryan Gallagher/ Willy Palivos/ Rory Boos/ Charlie Dowdle
3. FB Jarrett Romanski
4. OL - Alex Illich/ Steve Misetic/ Sterling Humphry/ Jimmy Murray/ Sam Badovinic
5. TE - Jake Marwede
6. DL/LB - Joe Cook/ Jimmy Tomaska/ Ben LeRoy/ Chance Carter/ Beau Desherow/ Tommy Kelly/ Mark Sullivan
7. DB - Peter Gorman/ Jake Gonzalez/ Jamie Baisley/ Luke Ford/ Sean Connelly
8. Special Teams - Chuck Kurzydlowski/ Nate Van Zelst

Maybe Rob, Mike and Ned Dooley, Mike Yacullo and Liam Reardon?

Reactions: mmca
Shane Longest will forever be in the Manteno record books. Manteno played Wilmington in its very first home football game in 2002. In the very first ever field goal attempt in a varsity game at Manteno High School, Longest crushed a 52 yarder...

Shane played with my son at SXU and we watched him routinely kick 75 yard field goals when warming up before the game. Crazy good. I was hoping when he tried out with the Bears he would make the team but back then they still had Robbie.

Nolan was a DB....Rugai? He related to you or something? ; )

And even Billy "Fudd" Phelan would tell you he should not be on that list. Also, the best player for MC in the 1990s was Don Veronesi who was all Catholic League first team in 3 spots: WR, DB and Punter.

Reactions: Blue Ruin
FOR The Beloved
QB: Bailey [HM - Williams]

RB: Martin, Harris, Farmer [HM - Marcus Smith, Corey Day]

WR: Sean Hughes, Brent Tewksbury

FB: why? [HM - When?]

OL: Herron, Bain, Big Joe, John Williams, Dillingham

TE: Borland

DL: Holliday, Steve Williams, Mallory, Bain

LB: Marshall, Morrison, Borland [HM - Huff, McLaurin]

DB Howard, King, Mitchell, Rhodes [HM - too many]

Spec Durkin, King
Teams

Reactions: Hillini74
LA

2. WR/RB - Adrian Autry/ Pat Naughton/ Dara Laja/ Ryan Gallagher/ Willy Palivos/ Rory Boos/ Charlie Dowdle
3. FB Jarrett Romanski
4. OL - Alex Illich/ Steve Misetic/ Sterling Humphry/ Jimmy Murray/ Sam Badovinic
5. TE - Jake Marwede
6. DL/LB - Joe Cook/ Jimmy Tomaska/ Ben LeRoy/ Chance Carter/ Beau Desherow/ Tommy Kelly/ Mark Sullivan
I don’t think I would change a name on this list. I would just add Prikos at RB. Nice to see 2 of my fellow co-captains from the ‘94 team on the list 😉 Just spoke with SC the other day. He was a bad mutha!

Last edited:
I was living in California, a confirmed Raiders fan, so I never saw those ferocious MC/SR games. This thread made them come alive. When I moved back here in the '90s, it was hard to get games on TV. Now, of course, all the finals and the highlights of the playoffs are readily available on YouTube, which is a tremendous resource for those of us who left town for a while.

LA

3. FB Jarrett Romanski
5. TE - Jake Marwede

Agree with a lot of your names. I think there is room for Bill Reardon and Tom sylvester Mark Matelski.

Reactions: Bowie50
LA

3. FB Jarrett Romanski
5. TE - Jake Marwede
I would definitely have the great guard Jack Badovinac. A truly dominating lineman. Captain, first team all state, CCL blue and offensive MVP his senior year. Has started 31 of 34 games at Colgate. On the defensive side, defensive tackle Charlie Pontarelli. Another first team all state mauler who was an unbelievable destructive force.

Reactions: Bowie50
Absolutely loved him as a player. Great running style and attitude. That said, he doesn’t even sniff the top 10 of even the last 30 years. No fault of his own, just that much talent. That 07 backfield had Geiss and Hudetz too. hudetz was only a junior and had an even better senior year. Geiss had more yards than krisch in fewer games that year. So really you could argue that he was number 3 on that very good 07 team.

Taking nothing from the Hilltoppers previously mentioned, but a few names that deserve to added (and there are many more)

QB: John Gromos, Mark Parker, John Keirnan, Jim Carlson, Steve Duchene
RB: Rick Thayer, Mike Condon, Phil Marchio, John Larsen
OL: Tom Gullickson, Todd Moore, John Fay, Pat Lennon, Mike McGann, Greg Reiser, Don McGraw, Eric Gray
DL: Pat Mudron, Jeff Simon, Bob Paul, Jack Skole, Brian Udovich
LB: Roger Hewlett, Ed Rompa, Todd Parker
DB: Jordan Jones, Carl Hunkler, Paul Carbery
K: Isaac Grasshoff
P: Jeff Meader

Last edited:
Did Zaleski sign with ND? If so, where did he go after leaving ND?

great list btw. Growing up at 90th & California, Zvagnin was a legend
I love the Zvag family. Great people

Last edited:
Bolingbrook is up above.

Wheaton Central / South

QB. Jon Beutjer. Tim Lester
OL. Dace Richardson. Josh Romberg Larry Moeaki Will Matte Rich Thomas Jeff Simpson
RB Bobby Nelson Red Grange Phil Adler
WR Corey Davis Jon Schweighardt Jerome Collins Kasey Klaas.
TE. Tony Moeaki
DL. Dan Chism Chris Flores Chris Arthurs Jake Kelly Tom Cione Ryan Conway
LB Ron Grego Mike Labelle Pat Dansdill Jake Schultz
DB Steve Schweighardt Bob Neman Larry Newsom Brett Bell
K/P. Jack Olson

Last edited:
Reactions: RockSoup
I'm not a JCA fan but......Mike Alstott vs the world. He was un
I don’t know if you could classify Alstott as a FB in high school. He was all RB.
Mike Alstott was unstoppable once the 3rd quarter started. You might be able to tackle that big of a human as a 17 year old for a quarter or two.....game over after that!

Reactions: JAYC14
OK, enough of these football powers ... let's do Maine East - This one goes out especially to mc414:

Maine East:
QB - Jay Baum, Dave McCarrell

WR/RB - Sam Donatucci, Tim Gavlin, Tom Bradley, Pete Varco, Bob Lausen, Bob Heath

FB - Guy Boliaux, Chris Katris

TE - Dan Sladek

OL - either fall of 75 or fall of 77 squads as a whole

DL/LB - Guy Boliaux, Brian Frasier, or again pretty much the 75 or 77 squads as a whole

Special Teams:
Punter - Bob Tinkoff
Kicker - Mike Aaknes

Last edited:
For Providence Catholic Celtics

QB: Robert Cruz (HM Justin Hunniford)

RB/WR: Louie Medina, Joey Schley, Justin Ruggio, Timmy Hanrahan, David Popp (HM Miles Boykin, Mike Maher)

FB: Kyle Stalter (HM Kevin Rigsby)

OL: Dan Ketelaar, Colin Johnson, Jason Kalina, Patrick Ward, Brian Lydickesen (HM Jake Renfro, Dan Maly)

TE: Tom Riordan (HM Matt Schultz)

DL/LB: Matt Uremovich, Chris Janik, Nicky Passolano, Steve Laski, Neal Dahlman, Eric Steinbach, Phil Netznik (HM Vince Ambrose, Billy Grogan)

DB: Quinn Walsh, Pat Rush, Peter Houlihan, Mike Madej (HM Troy Sheppard, Scott Janik)

Spec: Billy Schuld, Gannon Novak (HM Bobby Kelsey)
Where is Berich???

Reactions: eireog
Wasn't on the forums the first time this came thru but since it has resurfaced...

Lockport (post 2010)

QB: Billy Reed (Hayden Timosciek)
RB: Dan Holman, Dexter Taylor, Ty Schultz (Tavares Moore)
WR: Ryan Little, Tommy Hook (Malik Makhlouf)
FB: Austin Hoffman
OL: Dan Leja, Matt Sawickis, Collin Krzeckowski, Payton Collins, Matt Chimielewski (Billy Doyle, Connor Hart)
TE: Zack Wolfe (Hyatt Timosciek)
DL: Andrew Blackburn-Forst, Cody Silzer, Cole Silzer, Jordan Roxas, (Justin Krzeckowski)
LB: Ethan Gallagher, Brad Johnson, Joe Suchorabski (Joe Fiorillo)
DB: Shaunqae McMurtry, Danny Martisek, Nick Franciskovich, Davis Purviance (Derrius Rodgers, Dre Taylor)
Special Teams: Ben Davis, Aaron Ambrose (Ryan Barth)

Mount Carmel

QB Tony Carey 61

RB Bobby Sanders 90, jovan Harbon 95, Nairobi Allen 88 Demar White 86, Kenenna Odeluga 2020

FB Mark Bornholdt

TE Mark Norville 88

Any Carmel team OL better have Bart Newman '89 on that list

Frank Pinn has got to be on this list? Could be best player in the history of this dynasty. Ranked #3 all time athlete at MC night of champions a few years back.
Mount Carmel

QB Tony Carey 61

FB Mark Bornholdt

TE Mark Norville 88

Frank Pinn has got to be on this list? Could be best player in the history of this dynasty. Ranked #3 all time athlete at MC night of champions a few years back.
Donald Dorham (spelling?) was the All-Time leading rusher at MC as of the early 2000’s. That has to earn a spot on the list, especially at a school that ran an offense that rushed the ball almost exclusively.

Any Carmel team OL better have Bart Newman '89 on that list

And any Carmel D-line needs to have Ola Ali. Gets overshadowed because he played next to Simeon Rice was a couple year, but he was a much more impactful player at the time

Octavious Bond and Chris Calloway shoud also be on the receiver list

Reactions: caravan8
Where would you rank RB C Krisch for all-time running backs at JCA?

I believe he had 4 TDs in the State title game.
He was solid but probably not an all timer. He had a good collegiate career too. I think Keenan Haley is close to that list.

ADVERTISEMENT