ADVERTISEMENT

starting lineup of your all-time favorite players for your school

septon34

Jul 12, 2012
These guys do not have to be the best players you saw, but rather the ones you liked the most or most enjoyed watching.

I combined the WR/RB positions, and you can pick 5 total. However, for your FB, which is a separate position, you can use a power runner such as Alstott. I combined the DL/LB positions and you can pick 7 total. I combined the K/P/KR/PR into one position titled Special Teams, and you can pick two players. So there are 8 positions and you can have an honorable mention (or two) at each position.

1. QB - pick one (and the option of two honorable mentions)
2. WR/RB - pick five (and the option of two honorable mentions)
3. FB (power back) - pick one (and the option of an honorable mention)
4. OL - pick five (and the option of two honorable mentions)
5. TE - pick one (and the option of an honorable mention)
6. DL/LB - pick seven (and the option of two honorable mentions)
7. DB - pick four (and the option of two honorable mentions)
8. Special Teams - pick two (and the option of an honorable mention)

FOR ST. RITA
QB - Kafka [HM - Stephen Balsam]

RB/WR: Kaleb Brown, Wade Weyer, Tony Simmons, Kenny Golladay, and Jahwon Akui [HM - Ahmad Meritt & Jeff Sadowski]

FB Shawn Sierra [HM - Jeff Frieri]

OL Joe Tracy, Todd Kuska, John Nee, Tim Wojeck, Kevin Galeher, [HM - Tom Dennis, for starting a fight with MC when they tried to disrespect the tradition at 63rd & Claremont].

TE Jim Kordas

DL/LB Brian Hamilton, Bruce Gaston, Matt Conrath, Kevin Carberry, Darius Flemming, Matt Kingsbury, Tim Angsten [HM - Ray Novickas & Nolan Nawrocki]

DB Tracy Graham, Mark Sadowski, Bobby Singleton, Vince Thompson [HM - Henry Wilson]

Spec Ahmad Meritt, Stephen Flaherty [HM - Kaleb Brown]
Teams

For Providence Catholic Celtics

QB: Robert Cruz (HM Justin Hunniford)

RB/WR: Louie Medina, Joey Schley, Justin Ruggio, Timmy Hanrahan, David Popp (HM Miles Boykin, Mike Maher)

FB: Kyle Stalter (HM Kevin Rigsby)

OL: Dan Ketelaar, Colin Johnson, Jason Kalina, Patrick Ward, Brian Lydickesen (HM Jake Renfro, Dan Maly)

TE: Tom Riordan (HM Matt Schultz)

DL/LB: Matt Uremovich, Chris Janik, Nicky Passolano, Steve Laski, Neal Dahlman, Eric Steinbach, Phil Netznik (HM Vince Ambrose, Billy Grogan)

DB: Quinn Walsh, Pat Rush, Peter Houlihan, Mike Madej (HM Troy Sheppard, Scott Janik)

Spec: Billy Schuld, Gannon Novak (HM Bobby Kelsey)

LA

1. QB - Peter Patton Peter Pujals
2. WR/RB - Adrian Autry/ Pat Naughton/ Dara Laja/ Ryan Gallagher/ Willy Palivos/ Rory Boos/ Charlie Dowdle
3. FB Jarrett Romanski
4. OL - Alex Illich/ Steve Misetic/ Sterling Humphry/ Jimmy Murray/ Sam Badovinic
5. TE - Jake Marwede
6. DL/LB - Joe Cook/ Jimmy Tomaska/ Ben LeRoy/ Chance Carter/ Beau Desherow/ Tommy Kelly/ Mark Sullivan
7. DB - Peter Gorman/ Jake Gonzalez/ Jamie Baisley/ Luke Ford/ Sean Connelly
8. Special Teams - Chuck Kurzydlowski/ Nate Van Zelst

Last edited:
Though it is probably obvious, I did not start following SR until 86. Would love to hear from a Rita guy or two who followed the team for at least a decade prior to 86.

Thanks for the LA and PC responses.

Montini

QB Rhode, Brazziel

WR J Westerkamp, B Westerkamp, Thornton, West, Borsellino

RB Fedanzo, Walker, Gorrell

LB Embrey, Kapp, Brucianelli

DB's Last Year's Team

Line J Johnson, Tim Fugger

Honorable Mention - Nick Campanella

I will work on the rest or someone can help me out.

Last edited:

RB/WR: Louie Medina, Joey Schley, Justin Ruggio, Timmy Hanrahan, David Popp (HM Miles Boykin, Mike Maher)

OL: Dan Ketelaar, Colin Johnson, Jason Kalina, Patrick Ward, Brian Lydickesen (HM Jake Renfro, Dan Maly)

DL/LB: Matt Uremovich, Chris Janik, Nicky Passolano, Steve Laski, Neal Dahlman, Eric Steinbach, Phil Netznik (HM Vince Ambrose, Billy Grogan)

DB: Quinn Walsh, Pat Rush, Peter Houlihan, Mike Madej (HM Troy Sheppard, Scott Janik)

Pete Bercich?

These guys do not have to be the best players you saw, but rather the ones you liked the most or most enjoyed watching.

I combined the WR/RB positions, and you can pick 5 total. However, for your FB, which is a separate position, you can use a power runner such as Alstott. I combined the DL/LB positions and you can pick 7 total. I combined the K/P/KR/PR into one position titled Special Teams, and you can pick two players. So there are 8 positions and you can have an honorable mention (or two) at each position.

FOR ST. RITA

RB/WR: Kaleb Brown, Wade Weyer, Tony Simmons, Kenny Golladay, and Jahwon Akui [HM - Ahmad Meritt & Jeff Sadowski]

OL Joe Tracy, Todd Kuska, John Nee, Tim Wojeck, Kevin Galeher, [HM - Tom Dennis, for starting a fight with MC when they tried to disrespect the tradition at 63rd & Claremont].

TE Jim Kordas

DL/LB Brian Hamilton, Bruce Gaston, Matt Conrath, Kevin Carberry, Darius Flemming, Matt Kingsbury, Tim Angsten [HM - Ray Novickas & Nolan Nawrocki]

DB Tracy Graham, Mark Sadowski, Bobby Singleton, Vince Thompson [HM - Henry Wilson]

Teams
Not a Ritaman but John Foley is definitely on that list.

Montini

QB Rhode, Brazziel

DB's Last Year's Team

To add on to Wassup’s list
QB- Karpowicz
RB- Joe Hyland, Mucha, Atkins
OL- J Lowery, Porcelli
DL- Goebel, Ferraro, Sykes, T Hyland, Thompson
LB- Maduko

Reactions: Wassup13

FOR ST. RITA

TE Jim Kordas

Teams

Ryan Donahue as punter.

Mount Carmel

QB Tony Carey 61
HM Rob Rugai 87, John Welsh 96

RB Bobby Sanders 90, jovan Harbon 95, Nairobi Allen 88 Demar White 86, Kenenna Odeluga 2020

FB Mark Bornholdt

TE Mark Norville 88

WR Alec Thomas 2018, Nate turner 86, Tom Leyden 94, Billy Phelan 92

OL Steve Edwards Mark Antonetti, Jalen Grant 2020, Bo O’Rourke 93

DL Bud Ruel 61, Brendan Gill 95, Simion Rice 92, Billy Nolan 86

LB Jerry Schumacher, Gary Casper 87, Tony Furjanic

DB Marty O’Brian 2020, Tony Mazurkawicz 92, Terry Ward 86

I'll throw out an old East Side guy I loved watching playing - Marvin Lampkin.

Iowa's Lampkin grew up in the projects of East St. Louis, where the poverty level was 60 percent. Despite running 4.35 seconds in the 40-yard dash and benching 300 pounds, Lampkin stood just 5-feet-8 and weighed 190 pounds, so his friends dismissed the idea of him making it as a Division I student-athlete.

GREAT QUOTE after the q-final tilt with HF, who knocked out the Flyers the year before:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1987-11-15-8703260303-story.html

''The quarterback (Lesniewicz), I respect him and everything,'' said Johnson. ''But every time I looked up this week he was in the paper talking about East Side being his second home. I wanted him to eat his words.''

Second home ... awesome trolling words!!!!

Reactions: USD24
Mount Carmel

QB Tony Carey 61

RB Bobby Sanders 90, jovan Harbon 95, Nairobi Allen 88 Demar White 86, Kenenna Odeluga 2020

FB Mark Bornholdt

TE Mark Norville 88

who was the WR '96/'97? No McNabb?! Great list!

Reactions: MCTD10
Montini

QB Rhode, Brazziel

DB's Last Year's Team

Justin Blake at QB for Montini in their undefeated season in 2015! Also Mitch West at DB and WR.

FOR ST. RITA

TE Jim Kordas

Teams

For Joliet Catholic.....

my frame of reference is mostly late 80s to today with some absences in the mid 90s.

QB....Sopko (Bourg and Ruettiger)
RB/forget the WR...Zwierzynski, Ivlow, Isaac, Randle, Benson (Ferguson, McKeon)
FB...Alstott (Iannantone)
OL...Furcron, Maloney, Fonck, Jadron, Butler (Witt, Krumviede)
TE...Kolodziej (Sheppard)
DL/LB...Goolsby, Jeske, McShane, Clancy, Greenback, Koren, Stockman (Aguirre, Krisch)
DB....Buchanan, Jaworski, Weis, Meyer (Rotnicki, M Jones, and bonus Jabril Williams)
ST....Bravo (Tomasino, Van Tassell)

Special teams honorable mentions simply to get a state champ RB and 2x state champ QB some props on the team because they were also place kickers . VT also had a huge winning kick against MC in 99.

also threw malin Jones in with DBs to get him some love. The 07 center Fonck gets the nod at OL solely because of his work in the title game handling Lemonts Pocic. Went with athletic qbs because why not.

I'd have to say the 1986 Crusaders (class of '87) - they were JUST old enough to be looked up to as idols, but close enough we knew them. in our small town, it's not unheard of for 13-year-olds to know 18-year-olds.

Off the top of mind, so many brothers to my classmates.

Jimmy Gomric - I played with Matt and Steve.
Tim and Tom Gula - I played with John and Chris.
Tom Myatt - played with Tim.
Big Berning - I played with Little Bern.

Then there was Schaffer, Shields, Juan/Corey Cox, Steve Schott (as a sophomore) ... So those guys were idols to us little guys approaching the program.

Reactions: Gene K.
LA

1. QB - Peter Patton Peter Pujals
2. WR/RB - Adrian Autry/ Pat Naughton/ Dara Laja/ Ryan Gallagher/ Willy Palivos/ Rory Boos/ Charlie Dowdle
3. FB Jarrett Romanski
4. OL - Alex Illich/ Steve Misetic/ Sterling Humphry/ Jimmy Murray/ Sam Badovinic
5. TE - Jake Marwede
6. DL/LB - Joe Cook/ Jimmy Tomaska/ Ben LeRoy/ Chance Carter/ Beau Desherow/ Tommy Kelly/ Mark Sullivan
7. DB - Peter Gorman/ Jake Gonzalez/ Jamie Baisley/ Luke Ford/ Sean Connelly
8. Special Teams - Chuck Kurzydlowski/ Nate Van Zelst
Terry Glavin was one of the hardest hitting LBs I ever saw.

Mount Carmel

QB Tony Carey 61

FB Mark Bornholdt

TE Mark Norville 88

Nolan was a DB....Rugai? He related to you or something? ; )

Reactions: MCTD10
I knew Rugai from CK. He was the star athlete from the neighborhood all the younger kids looked up too. Was a great guy then and now. I believe he started a few games at Northern Illinois to. Interested to see ur list?

Rochester

QB N.Baker (C.Bruno, R.Kelley, W.Lunt, A.Green)
WR/RB H.Beatty, Z.Grant, E.Sembell, A.Cox, D.Cox, C.Glazebrook (J. DuRocher, C.Eddington, J.Bivens, C.Stallworth, J.Reed)
FB G.Dooley (S.Robinson-played QB but was a power runner)
OL A.Staton, D.Szabados, S.Russell, S.Brewer, C.Koerwitz (C.Sweeney, C.Ramsey, C.Johnson, C.Brewer)
TE/HB C.Alewelt (T.Hill and A.Conrady)
DL/LB R.McMinn, E.McMinn, D.Camp, M.Swaine, G.Dooley, A.Mathis, R.Watson (J.Gilson, E.Sembell, E.Yakle, M.McNicholas, C.Ramsey)
DB M.Gunter, A.Cox, D.Cox, R.Lewis (J.Bivens, J.Myren, T.Mazzini, L.Peters)
ST C.Alewelt and A.Cox (D.Cox and J.Bivens)

From MC players I’ve seen play

QB-Mike McGrew (Hon mention Jordan Lynch, Donovan McNabb....depending on how he does this year Justin Lynch may pass them all)

RB- Don Dorham, Greg Owens, Bobby Sanders, Matt Domer (Hon Men Dominic Sulo....Kenenna Odeluga has chance to Top this list after this season)

WR- Chris Calloway, Nate Turner, Mike Gentile, Jason Gasser (Hon Men Tony Livermore....Jaali Parker can be added as well after season)

TE- Mark Norville, Matt Cushing, Bryon Koepke

OL- Charles Edwards, Arthur Ray, Bart Newman, Jalen Grant, Robbie Krutilla (May Robbie Rest In Peace) Slyvester Miller, Mike Husar (Hon Men Gary Young)

DL- Steve Richardson, Simeon Rice, Enoch Smith, Ola Ali, Derrick Strong

LB- Jerry Schumacher, Gary Casper, Steve Filer, Dan Cassasanto, Lance Swain (Hon Men Kevin Kilroy....Austin Haygood will definitely be high on this last after this season)

DB- Ed Stewart, Heron O’Neil, Don Veronessi, Kareem Timbers, Christian Searles, Vince Speller, Matt Lenti (Ben Perry also likely after Season.

All around Athlete- Alek Thomas.

K- Matt Piotrowicz and forget next year I’m giving it to him now, Julian Patino.

I knew Rugai from CK. He was the star athlete from the neighborhood all the younger kids looked up too. Was a great guy then and now. I believe he started a few games at Northern Illinois to. Interested to see ur list?
It’s up! Hard with all those players!

Some names I would switch out or add
RB: richie warfield , clay cleveland
OL: matt Rodgers Logan plantz
FB: Jeremiah jobe
TE: nate vejvoda, kyle cornwell
LB: rory steinbach, brendan ohara
DL: mike Stephen's
DB: mark reiter
Spec: jordan Farrell
Athelete: luke lokanc

Reactions: BornNRazed
Some names I would switch out or add
RB: richie warfield , clay cleveland
OL: matt Rodgers Logan plantz
FB: Jeremiah jobe
TE: nate vejvoda, kyle cornwell
LB: rory steinbach, brendan ohara
DL: mike Stephen's
DB: mark reiter
Spec: jordan Farrell
Athelete: luke lokanc
I think Rory Steinbach had about 30 tackles when PC gave #1 ranked MC their first loss in 2001. And only only partially exaggerating.

I was going to tell JCHillmen he missed my name on his list. :D:D:D

But he had a disclaimer of late 80's to present only. :D:D
I got you covered.

JCA Kevin = GOAT
LMAO! Thanks

But I did notice some really great players missing from his list that played in the 70's & early 80's before I realized he had that disclaimer.

Like:
OL Tom Thayer, John Meade, Ken Tucci, etc.
LB's John Piazza
DB's the Terrell brothers
And many many more.

I'll take a shot at this for Joliet Catholic, too. So many possibilities.

QB - Pat Pesavento
RB - Mike Alstott, James Randle, J.R. Zwierzynski
(H.M. - Andy Matichak, Ty Issac, Dave Matichak, Matt Larsen......)
Late edit....not sure how I originally forgot this at fullback....
FB - Rick Thayer
WR - Larry McKeon, Billy McKeon, Darren Freeman
TE - Coby Fleener
(H.M. - Mike Kolodziej)
OL - Tom Thayer, John Meade, John Horn, Mike Kolodziej, Bill Draznik
DL - Kevin McShane, Ken Aguirre, Eric Gray
LB - John Piazza, Mike Goolsby, Chris Jeske, John Lausch
(H.M. - Steve Ostrowski, Pat McShane.....)
DB - Tim Tyrell, Bobby Buchanan, Tom Tyrell
Spec. Team - Joe VanTassel, Kevin Platt
Coach - Gordie Gillespie
****Left off so many more possible names, especially in the OL/DL positions.
****Running Backs can be so many more players, so much depth over the years - because of so many great O-Line Units.

Last edited:
For Joliet Catholic.....

my frame of reference is mostly late 80s to today with some absences in the mid 90s.

QB....Sopko (Bourg and Ruettiger)
RB/forget the WR...Zwierzynski, Ivlow, Isaac, Randle, Benson (Ferguson, McKeon)
FB...Alstott (Iannantone)
OL...Furcron, Maloney, Fonck, Jadron, Butler (Witt, Krumviede)
TE...Kolodziej (Sheppard)
DL/LB...Goolsby, Jeske, McShane, Clancy, Greenback, Koren, Stockman (Aguirre, Krisch)
DB....Buchanan, Jaworski, Weis, Meyer (Rotnicki, M Jones, and bonus Jabril Williams)
ST....Bravo (Tomasino, Van Tassell)

Special teams honorable mentions simply to get a state champ RB and 2x state champ QB some props on the team because they were also place kickers . VT also had a huge winning kick against MC in 99.

also threw malin Jones in with DBs to get him some love. The 07 center Fonck gets the nod at OL solely because of his work in the title game handling Lemonts Pocic. Went with athletic qbs because why not.

Where would you rank RB C Krisch for all-time running backs at JCA?

I believe he had 4 TDs in the State title game.

Reactions: JAYC14

FOR ST. RITA

TE Jim Kordas

Teams
Though it is probably obvious, I did not start following SR until 86. Would love to hear from a Rita guy or two who followed the team for at least a decade prior to 86.

Thanks for the LA and PC responses.
I’ll try my best with spelling. Years are 76 to 85
QBs Marty Strocchia, Al Zaleski
RBs WRs Tom Kingsbury, Joe Gorman, John O’Neill, Scott Craig, Dave Moritz, Paul Thibodeaux
OL Jim Lang, Kevin Kehoe, Jim Lick, Tom Knoebel, Mark McGowan, Paul Mausch, John Zaleski, Jason Cegielski, Joe Allen
TE Jim Byrne, Tim Walsh
DL Mike Rafalin, Ed Duffy, Eddie Randle, John Zaleski
LB/DBs Joe Barry, Pat Bayers, Mark Zavagnin, Ron Weissenhofer, Joe Jenkins, Tim Murney, Phil Foley, Mark Kelly, John Foley

Spec Teams Punter John Zakeski, Kicker Pat Jones

edited: placed the players in chronological order from early (late 70s) to mid 80s)

Last edited:
Reactions: KJF30 and eireog
Where would you rank RB C Krisch for all-time running backs at JCA?

I believe he had 4 TDs in the State title game.
Absolutely loved him as a player. Great running style and attitude. That said, he doesn’t even sniff the top 10 of even the last 30 years. No fault of his own, just that much talent. That 07 backfield had Geiss and Hudetz too. hudetz was only a junior and had an even better senior year. Geiss had more yards than krisch in fewer games that year. So really you could argue that he was number 3 on that very good 07 team.

Absolutely loved him as a player. Great running style and attitude. That said, he doesn’t even sniff the top 10 of even the last 30 years. No fault of his own, just that much talent. That 07 backfield had Geiss and Hudetz too. hudetz was only a junior and had an even better senior year. Geiss had more yards than krisch in fewer games that year. So really you could argue that he was number 3 on that very good 07 team.
Given his late 80's frame of reference-I believe the handle should be change to-JCAHILLMEN.

Given his late 80's frame of reference-I believe the handle should be change to-JCAHILLMEN.
Nah. To this day, most of the boys still leave off the A. The worst was the post merger with the powder blue in the boys uniforms and no victory light. They have done a real good job of branding of late with the interlocking JC and victory light with solely brown and white for boys and the girls with the sky blue and big A with a halo around it for the girls. Much sharper and better defined than a few decades ago.

Reactions: Gene K. and JAYC14
ADVERTISEMENT