ADVERTISEMENT

Stangs and Vikes

PC Dad_MC Grad

Aug 22, 2018
Best of luck to St Rita and St Laurence today in semis!! Bring home a clean sweep in 3A and 4A for the CCL Blue the most dominant baseball conference in the state. Possible that 3 of 4 teams in 3A and 4A finals are from the mega CCL/ESCC conference. SR, StL and Montini.

Best of luck to St Rita and St Laurence today in semis!! Bring home a clean sweep in 3A and 4A for the CCL Blue the most dominant baseball conference in the state. Possible that 3 of 4 teams in 3A and 4A finals are from the mega CCL/ESCC conference. SR, StL and Montini.

Re: "Mega CCL/ESCC conference" - Isn't Montini in the CCL officially?

StL on to finals! 8-2 winners

Congrats to STL, one more!

I think it's weird that they play both classes back to back. I think it'd be cool to do both third place games, and then play the finals back to back.

Reactions: RockSoup
I think it's weird that they play both classes back to back. I think it'd be cool to do both third place games, and then play the finals back to back.
Less people stay now after the first game. Allows for possibly charging people admission twice

St.laur played like they should win easily,Montini played like they really wanted to win. Just my opinion.

Laurence will now opt for 2A next year
Lol

CCL brought home lots of hardware today.

Congrats Broncos of Montini - 3A champs
Congrats Vikings of St Laurence - 3A runner ups
Congrats Mustangs of St Rita - 4A 3rd place

Now that official marks the end of me rooting for any of you. On to football season!!!!

Lol

Now that official marks the end of me rooting for any of you. On to football season!!!!
Calendar marked
10/4 - Provi vs St Rita
10/18 - Provi vs St Laurence
10/25 - Provi vs Montini

Lol

LOL! Very nice, PC Dad. We appreciate your support! Congrats to SL-Bronco-SR for a great showing. Btw, how is PC going to look for 2019?

Reactions: Gene K.
In shock Laurence lost
Really shouldn't be a shock if you followed Montini's season. Montini had a up and down start at the beginning of the season with huge wins and huge losses. Then they came on strong when it counted with 9 wins in a row. Three seniors on the team, none of whom are pitchers. All their starting pitchers are juniors. What they do have is kids who can hit the ball and play better than average defense. In addition, a sophomore left fielder who leads the team in batting average as well as other sophomore contributors. They have at least 5 starting players batting over .300 for the season. They lost to St. Laurence at the start of the season 15-12 but were behind big but stormed back to tie it only to lose it in the 9th inning. Earlier this year I thought they would do well but have to admit they came further than I thought for this year.
The arrow is pointing up for Montini baseball next season too.

Reactions: RockSoup
Laurence will now opt for 2A next year

I bet there is facetiousness in this comment, but not sure!!

I thought STL wanted to stay in 4A and even appealed the IHSA's ruling. Therefore, had to play in 3A this year. We'll see how it shakes out next year.

Congrats to Monini, STL, and SR on great runs!

Last edited:
I was surprised that was Edwardsville's first title since 1998, Seems like they are always in the final.
Edwardsville would run into local rival, O’Fallon in their sectional. If they got past them then they would run into a CCL powerhouse like MC, SR or Providence. This would keep them out of the finals year after year. They final found a path. Beating Marist was huge.

Shows how tough it is to win a state championship in baseball

Makes PCs run a few years ago truly amazing
Without a doubt. 14 of their 21 games won over that 3 year period were by 1 run. 6 were won on their last at bat. The biggest being the 6-5 win over MC in 2015.

@StRitaBaseball June 10. 2019
Senior Jalen Greer signing his contract with the Oakland A's immediately after the Mustangs game yesterday. He will leave for Mesa, AZ tomorrow. Best of luck to Jalen in his professional baseball career. #SRBaseball
D8qRphmXUAAxIqc.jpg

Baseball is the one sport that most kids say they have played at some point in their life. I'm sure it has the highest number of participants throughout the years with house and travel ball teams....yet it gets very little, if any, press or hype when it comes to the High School season....Football brings in thousands to the games, Basketball hundreds....Baseball brings in high teens in attendance....America's past time.....I don't get it.

Baseball is the one sport that most kids say they have played at some point in their life. I'm sure it has the highest number of participants throughout the years with house and travel ball teams....yet it gets very little, if any, press or hype when it comes to the High School season....Football brings in thousands to the games, Basketball hundreds....Baseball brings in high teens in attendance....America's past time.....I don't get it.
Whenever they have a big game at a place like Crestwood's park and it is at night (7 pm) they get huge crowds. MC-Lockport there in 2013 couldn't even park. Problem is most of the games are at 4:30 during the week.

Yep 430pm starts and just playing 30-35 games doesn't do the same for the "event" type of atmosphere football has (once a week, Friday night no school next day). Plus baseball has no other school involvement like football- no band, cheer, poms, etc. Not right or wrong, I do agree that baseball gets short stick. It's almost like come state playoffs, ihsa just wants to get it over with asap for summer.

Honestly I've wondered why some HS programs don't try a minor league approach to drum up more hype. Have bigger youth baseball events for games (get them out there, have kids take field with players). Have some in-between innings games for fans, enhance music and PA more. Try something.

Whenever they have a big game at a place like Crestwood's park and it is at night (7 pm) they get huge crowds. MC-Lockport there in 2013 couldn't even park. Problem is most of the games are at 4:30 during the week.
Very true. Those start times are not conducive to bigger crowds.

IMO, high school baseball, like high school sports in general, is a hidden gem.

Yep 430pm starts and just playing 30-35 games doesn't do the same for the "event" type of atmosphere football has (once a week, Friday night no school next day). Plus baseball has no other school involvement like football- no band, cheer, poms, etc. Not right or wrong, I do agree that baseball gets short stick. It's almost like come state playoffs, ihsa just wants to get it over with asap for summer.

Honestly I've wondered why some HS programs don't try a minor league approach to drum up more hype. Have bigger youth baseball events for games (get them out there, have kids take field with players). Have some in-between innings games for fans, enhance music and PA more. Try something.
Playoffs are done with little thought and done poorly. For starters, they do the seeding well before season over which makes zero sense. Also 4 classes is just way too many for baseball.

Reactions: sporthog9er
The emergence of travel ball over the last decade has dug into it too. I know kids that don’t even play for their high school, they just focus on Travel because that’s where you get noticed by scouts

Really shouldn't be a shock if you followed Montini's season. Montini had a up and down start at the beginning of the season with huge wins and huge losses. Then they came on strong when it counted with 9 wins in a row. Three seniors on the team, none of whom are pitchers. All their starting pitchers are juniors. What they do have is kids who can hit the ball and play better than average defense. In addition, a sophomore left fielder who leads the team in batting average as well as other sophomore contributors. They have at least 5 starting players batting over .300 for the season. They lost to St. Laurence at the start of the season 15-12 but were behind big but stormed back to tie it only to lose it in the 9th inning. Earlier this year I thought they would do well but have to admit they came further than I thought for this year.
The arrow is pointing up for Montini baseball next season too.

Will Montini have to play up in class 4a next year?

ADVERTISEMENT