ADVERTISEMENT

St. Rita v Rochester

They got tonight and tomorrow and cyber monday to pick up some Amazon routes.

I thought Rita played hard in the second half and Johnson the QB played with a lot of confidence and leadership. Didn’t he play the second half last week too? Rita never quit.

Reactions: Wassup13
I thought Rita played hard in the second half and Johnson the QB played with a lot of confidence and leadership. Didn’t he play the second half last week too? Rita never quit.

Rita would of lost by 50 if Rochester didn’t slow down the offense and try to run the clock out.

I thought both Rita quarterbacks were poor to average. Especially at the state championship level of competition.

Rochester’s QB, 6a, 7a, and 8a teams about to play all have excellent QBs.

Rochester very impressive.

Reactions: MonetaMitch
Blood bath in all areas. Line play was dominant. Great tackling, always on ball carriers legs.
Rita's playing man whole time, little bizarre. Know it's hard to prepare for that offense so make it easier on the kids. Cover an area, keep things in front of you.
If only Rochester played their 2nd team earlier, Rita could have made it even closer.

Was Rita's no. 35 injured? Didn't look like he was running hard.
Little different when you're getting hit right away and no holes. Looked like Rochester had 13 guys out there.
Previous weeks he's not touched til 2nd level.
But was dinged up last week so maybe something lingering too.

Johnson came in and played well last week also. I was totally confused on why they didn't start him.

Last edited:
Johnson came in and played well last week also. I was totally confused on why they didn't start him. Kuska must want to lose his job. The way he called this game, he should be gone. I think he is now 1-4 in the final game.
With fr Paul gone. Kuska good for another 10 after making a championship. He's 1-1 in finals.
Qb1 double clutched every throw, very hesitant. Qb2 did better but game was already in the bag and Rochester was playing back ups.
Rochester line shut the run game down and being one dimensional that was end of story.

Reactions: The Outfit
Johnson came in and played well last week also. I was totally confused on why they didn't start him. Kuska must want to lose his job. The way he called this game, he should be gone. I think he is now 1-4 in the final game.
Maybe its time for you to find a new school! We'll be just fine without you and your family...believe me!

Rita tries to play fast pace but does not have the QB to do so effectively.
They played fast paced, beginning of the year. Cost them the Montini game. Since then seemed to relax some.
While coaching can always get some blame, like playing man all game. But those guys have a lot of hours in during the week game planning so hard to get on them too much.
When line is getting handled on both sides, hard to do anything. And sometimes the other team is just better.

Well hats off to Rochester you have a fine team!

For SR they had the perfect storm today. SR has not played a passing team all year and it showed today. The QB play was subpar today as it was most of the year. And Rochester was able to key the front 7 on Brown as did NND. The DB coach made no adjustments during the 1st half or at half time. The loss of DB Henry Wilson hurt and it showed today.

I watched the game in the press box. I sat behind a couple of SR guys who were talking to a GBS coach in the front row. GBS threw for abut 350 yards against SR. SR never made an adjustment in that game. They made none today either. I believe I heard him say they play cover 1 defense aggressive up front but passive in the defensive backfield. Maybe they need a upgrade coaching the DB’s.

I be interested what Rocksoup, Witty and TomL have to say.

For SR they had the perfect storm today. SR has not played a passing team all year and it showed today. The QB play was subpar today as it was most of the year. And Rochester was able to key the front 7 on Brown as did NND. The DB coach made no adjustments during the 1st half or at half time. The loss of DB Henry Wilson hurt and it showed today.

I watched the game in the press box. I sat behind a couple of SR guys who were talking to a GBS coach in the front row. GBS threw for abut 350 yards against SR. SR never made an adjustment in that game. They made none today either. I believe I heard him say they play cover 1 defense aggressive up front but passive in the defensive backfield. Maybe they need a upgrade coaching the DB’s.

Wouldn't the d coordinator have final say or eventually head coach to say what's going on?
Db coach, coaches them but I doubt has the ability to dictate what the dbs are gonna play especially when things go off the rails.

Wouldn't the d coordinator have final say or eventually head coach to say what's going on?
Db coach, coaches them but I doubt has the ability to dictate what the dbs are gonna play especially when things go off the rails.
Your new here. This has been their Achilles heel for years. Sometimes you don’t have the players. This is not the case at SR now.

Don't hold back!

Your new here. This has been their Achilles heel for years. Sometimes you don’t have the players. This is not the case at SR now.
So the db coach has run his own ship with no worries for years?
How good do you think this team is?

Play fast paced or go home. 80"s offense no longer works.
Actually 2 and 3 years ago Rita played just as fast as Rochester with a QB named Jake Zylman and a RB named Childrs. They beat MC both years. They got the ball off w/in 10 seconds of it being spotted. I guess you need the right QB to run it.

They won 8,9 straight? Finally played a less than great game against a great team. They have enough weaknesses that are crippling against good teams.
If they were in 7a, in the 2nd rd they would have possibly played at Carmel. I doubt Rita would win that game so I'd say Rita is 7a 2nd rd team good.

Reactions: Queen4
They won 8,9 straight? Finally played a less than great game against a great team. They have enough weaknesses that are crippling against good teams.
If they were in 7a, in the 2nd rd they would have possibly played at Carmel. I doubt Rita would win that game so I'd say Rita is 7a 2nd rd team good.
I some what agree with you. 50% completion from the QB today and they probably win. Your a SR fan?

Rita had a nice year - but in all reality Rochester was the better team and would probably win 9 of 10 times vs Rita. They neutralized Brown and with not much of a passing game it's gonna be a long one unless you get some breaks and Rochester is a disciplined team. Still a nice year for Rita - they were 1-3 at one point and seemed like they might be missing the playoffs again so nice year. They have some good kids back next year on both O and D and so they should be solid. Question is whether they get bumped back to 6A or stay in 5A.

Reactions: Queen4
I some what agree with you. 50% completion from the QB today and they probably win. Your a SR fan?
Had a son play there.
Idk if 50% saves them today. Not sure Rita could ever have stopped them.. But could have least made it competitive.

you guys are brutal.

the defensive staff at Rita is legit. As good as any. Hard to say they arent because they lost in the state finals! Kuska has final say in everything but i am sure he lets his coaches coach.

He brought them back and together from being 1-3. made a run. ran into a GOOD Rochester team. A team that braved the elements. Against arguably one of the sharpest young minds in the game that REALLY has it going on in a small school community.

Kind of difficult to place blame. Bottom line is coaches do not make tackles, interceptions, score touchdowns or make blocks. Scheme is one thing but It all comes down to execution. Sometimes it happens. The team that executes best wins.

Reactions: Gene K.
you guys are brutal.

the defensive staff at Rita is legit. As good as any. Hard to say they arent because they lost in the state finals! Kuska has final say in everything but i am sure he lets his coaches coach.

He brought them back and together from being 1-3. made a run. ran into a GOOD Rochester team. A team that braved the elements. Against arguably one of the sharpest young minds in the game that REALLY has it going on in a small school community.

Kind of difficult to place blame. Bottom line is coaches do not make tackles, interceptions, score touchdowns or make blocks. Scheme is one thing but It all comes down to execution. Sometimes it happens. The team that executes best wins.

So you’re saying the kids lost the game and coaches aren’t to blame? SR was bigger, faster, and more athletic. SR got out coached by one of the best head coaches in the state. SR looked unprepared to play this game. Not making IGAs or halftime adjustments falls on the coaching staff. SR coaches should apologize to the kids after this performance.

you guys are brutal.

This type of defense this year was a very good one overall, especially when Rita made her pivotal run. I love this ultra-aggressive defense; please keep it up. I am sure the scheming will change at times against certain opponents, but I got nothing but admiration for this staff. Keep up the great work, TK and your staff!

So you’re saying the kids lost the game and coaches aren’t to blame? SR was bigger, faster, and more athletic. SR got out coached by one of the best head coaches in the state. SR looked unprepared to play this game. Not making IGAs or halftime adjustments falls on the coaching staff. SR coaches should apologize to the kids after this performance.

I think it’s a collaborative effort... but blame isn’t to be placed in one spot.

Rita had a great season, nothing to be sad about. Kuska is a legend in Rita football lore. He does a lot with a little. Who had Rita making it to the finals? ... I know I didn’t so shut your traps. The kids played hard, Rochester was better...’nuff said.

Reactions: The Outfit
Rita had a great season, nothing to be sad about. Kuska is a legend in Rita football lore. He does a lot with a little. Who had Rita making it to the finals? ... I know I didn’t so shut your traps. The kids played hard, Rochester was better...’nuff said.

well said.

how, just asking? sounds like someone was outcoached based off some of these posts

Rita has good coaches and had an excellent season.
this Rochester coach is on another level. His team executed better than any team on Saturday. If he didn’t put in subs and slow down they would of put up 60 + on Rita.

I think most people are thinking “what if he had the Rita talent at his disposal athletically.”

But they are the same people who don’t understand just how good Rochester’s qb and wr are as high school players. They won’t run 4.5s but at the high school level those kids from Rochester are champions.

Best WR QB Combo I’ve seen all year.

Rita had a nice year - but in all reality Rochester was the better team and would probably win 9 of 10 times vs Rita. They neutralized Brown and with not much of a passing game it's gonna be a long one unless you get some breaks and Rochester is a disciplined team. Still a nice year for Rita - they were 1-3 at one point and seemed like they might be missing the playoffs again so nice year. They have some good kids back next year on both O and D and so they should be solid. Question is whether they get bumped back to 6A or stay in 5A.
looks like 5a again unless they petition up. looking at 2yr cycle this year mimics montini season last year , they didnt move up. looks like we could see Rita v Hillcrest/Montini and now an ESTL team in 5A with no CPS strike issues. Rochester may move back to 4a, but i hope not if an ESTL v Rochester matchup on horizon

many in EDgy pool had them in finals & winning. coming in to the season 5A was known destination, the talk was getting 5 wins because the road in 5A was not as challenging as CCL slate. lack of defensive adjustments did them in which did the offense in because they aren't built to make 20pt comebacks so they looked one dimensional. this is the same team from the last 5wks that had a winstreak

I think it’s a collaborative effort... but blame isn’t to be placed in one spot.
Agreed. Kuska will be the first to tell you he could of done a better job. That’s why he’s a true asset and represents Rita so well. I remember when the public schools needed fields with lights for night practices. He was the first to offer Rita’s. Crap happens, team lose. Start building around Brown for next year.

Agreed. Kuska will be the first to tell you he could of done a better job. That’s why he’s a true asset and represents Rita so well. I remember when the public schools needed fields with lights for night practices. He was the first to offer Rita’s. Crap happens, team lose. Start building around Brown for next year.
Agree Todd is a class act

Love when people say “they made no in-game adjustments arghhh!!” Were you in the locker room at halftime? Or on a pair of headsets? I’m sure they didn’t say “we got em right where we want them down 28-7 at half, let’s play our game.” I’m sure adjustments were made and that offense is too tough for anyone to stop when it’s clicking. I think the Rochester QB had 1 poor throw all game. Everything else was right on the money. He was easily the MVP yesterday. Even with SR hitting him just as he released it every play, they were on him but you can’t cover perfect passes, especially when Beatty is on the receiving end.

The IHSA playoff selection show picked Rochester to win that night, Edgy had Rochester, half the Kings competition had Rochester. This was the outcome anti-CCLs and Central Illinois blue-bloods we’re hoping for to continue fueling the fire of even competition throughout the state.

The one thing that’s clear is there are no class discrepancies from teams in the state championship from 8A thru 5A (or if Rochester is down then 4A). Naz looked like they would’ve lost by 30 to Rochester with their showing also. Props to Derek Leonard and the boys, hope there aren’t any “recruiting” issues with that team because that small town can ball.

ADVERTISEMENT