ADVERTISEMENT

St. Rita v Rochester

I've only seen a little video of Rochester but Rita shouldn't have a problem. Rochester has not played against a defense as aggressive, fast and powerful as Rita. Also, even though Rita's offense has been very run focused, they have have a great o-line and one of the best running backs in the state, so why not. They have not had to reveal their passing game so far because they haven't been challenged. Regarding wearing down? It has been the opposite. Their offense pounds their oppenents defense until they fade and SR defense is so punishing and hard hitting I would expect Rochester players hitting the sidelines with injuries or at least be gun-shy for catching a pass knowing what is coming. It will be a close game but Rita by 2 scores at least.
Completely agree, I think they do to Rochester what they have done to Sterling, Hillcrest and Boylan. and I’m looking forward to it.

Last time I was accused of being a "sandbagger," Rita did lose the damn game!
I'm with you. I've been following St. Rita football for 49 years and there are many times I've experienced what you have. Playoff game in Rockford, Montini this year, a playoff game a Lake Zurich all come to mind and the recent past. To me Rochester is an unknown. They've been to the big dance a lot. I'm really hoping for gale force winds with driving rain Saturday. Should be a very good game.

On the leaderboard in the bracket challenge, 13 have St. Rita, 12 have Rochester. This’ll be a one score game

Interesting dynamic in this game: 4A dynasty that people have wanted to "play up" or wanted the IHSA to success factors up vs CCL mainstay that got the multiplier removed who people want to play up.

Part of me says Rita plays bully ball but the other part of me says Rochester will overwhelm them with schemes. Then I remember that Rochester couldn't withstand C-G bully ball and Rita couldn't stop Richards.

Saturday can't come soon enough.

I’m pretty sure Derek Leonard gets a ton of respect here.
I look at the boards and every year I see a lot of chatter about how Rochester should petition up and wouldn't be able to compete at a higher level. My quote was for those people that were saying that. I played for Gary Korhonen at Richards (1985-1988), my son played for Ken Leonard at SHG (2014-2017). Those are two of the top coaches all time in Illinois High School Football history. But, in terms of player talent they have\had an abundance each and every year, not so for Derek Leonard. He does an amazing job of taking what he is given and making them better.

On Defense, I agree. On Offense, I believe this team is more balanced than any of the prior championship teams. Those teams may have been better individually at certain positions, but this group has a 2 year QB who can throw and run, an 1800 yd RB, a WR with 25 TD’s, solid secondary WR’s, and a physical experienced OL.
Yeah that WR with 25 TD's is only a sophomore. Anyone watching the game look for #8 Hank Beatty. He is a baller.

Reactions: rocketnation
I look at the boards and every year I see a lot of chatter about how Rochester should petition up and wouldn't be able to compete at a higher level. My quote was for those people that were saying that.

Will start by saying DL is my vote for best coach in the state and what’s been built down there is nothing short of outstanding. I always wanted to see them petition up because I do think they can compete at a higher level. They are not my team, so I have little interest in seeing dynasties, especially at the lower levels. Seems like 5A is treating them pretty well so far.

Yeah that WR with 25 TD's is only a sophomore. Anyone watching the game look for #8 Hank Beatty. He is a baller.

What are his actual numbers? Looking at their team page at ihsa.org doesn’t make sense. Says 29 total TDs, 8 rushing and 5 receiving....?

I look at the boards and every year I see a lot of chatter about how Rochester should petition up and wouldn't be able to compete at a higher level. My quote was for those people that were saying that. I played for Gary Korhonen at Richards (1985-1988), my son played for Ken Leonard at SHG (2014-2017). Those are two of the top coaches all time in Illinois High School Football history. But, in terms of player talent they have\had an abundance each and every year, not so for Derek Leonard. He does an amazing job of taking what he is given and making them better.

On this board, I dont remember people stating how Rochester wouldnt be able to compete. I think people wanted them to move up to see how well they would compete. Two different things.

I watched both teams this year and Rochester has the most fast paced offense I have ever witnessed and the head coach is college material. The defense will have about 15 seconds to adjust and cover the various formations.. St Rita could come out on top if they stop the passing game. With that being said, I like Rochester.

...in terms of player talent they have\had an abundance each and every year, not so for Derek Leonard. He does an amazing job of taking what he is given and making them better.

You are kidding, right?

I'll give you Korhonen did more with less than any coach in Illinois, ever, but to say Rochester plays what the bus drops off is a little off base.

What are his actual numbers? Looking at their team page at ihsa.org doesn’t make sense. Says 29 total TDs, 8 rushing and 5 receiving....?
Name Pos Yds Yds/G Yds/Rec Rec Lng TD GP
1 Hank Beatty - So
Rochester
QB, WR 1739 133.8 20.2 86 74 22 13 Looks like 29 is correct total 22 receiving and 7 rushing. #1 in state in receiving yards at 133.8 per game #11 in scoring at 13.5 per game. #25 in total yards per game 167.55. Just looking at Max preps stats looks like SR has a stud Sophomore also. Gonna be a good game.

Reactions: doctor_d
You are kidding, right?

I'll give you Korhonen did more with less than any coach in Illinois, ever, but to say Rochester plays what the bus drops off is a little off base.
You are kidding, right?

Not kidding at all. I played for Korhonen and I don't believe "he did more with less than any coach in Illinois, ever". He had access to a pipeline of talented players. See link below.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1989-09-29-8901180219-story.html
I respected the man and he was a good coach. But only 2 championships to show for it, one of which I was part of. I have seen the talent that both schools get, having played at one school and having coached in the junior levels against Rochester, and there is no comparison.

I would love to see what Kaleb Brown's numbers would look like if he had carries in more than just five 4th quarters this season. Hasn't been needed since week 9 vs ND and week 4 at Montini. Great job by the SR O-Line keeping him healthy for this big run. Heard an SR dad mention they've had 7 different OL starters this year including 2 sophs. Big ten pound it football might be back 77th and western for a little while

Reactions: Gene K.
I would love to see what Kaleb Brown's numbers would look like if he had carries in more than just five 4th quarters this season. Hasn't been needed since week 9 vs ND and week 4 at Montini. Great job by the SR O-Line keeping him healthy for this big run. Heard an SR dad mention they've had 7 different OL starters this year including 2 sophs. Big ten pound it football might be back 77th and western for a little while
Actually they had all 7 OL in the game at the same time when they went double tight end. That's a lot of beef at TE with a sophomore OL at 6'6 and about 270 blocking a outside linebacker. Run the wildcat from that formation and you can burn a lot of clock.

Reactions: Dual-triple_threat
is that a good thing, what % run/pass do you like?

Rita seems to be playing with no emotion and Rochester seems like they want it more. I’m really surprised of this outcome thus far.

I've only seen a little video of Rochester but Rita shouldn't have a problem. Rochester has not played against a defense as aggressive, fast and powerful as Rita. Also, even though Rita's offense has been very run focused, they have have a great o-line and one of the best running backs in the state, so why not. They have not had to reveal their passing game so far because they haven't been challenged. Regarding wearing down? It has been the opposite. Their offense pounds their oppenents defense until they fade and SR defense is so punishing and hard hitting I would expect Rochester players hitting the sidelines with injuries or at least be gun-shy for catching a pass knowing what is coming. It will be a close game but Rita by 2 scores at least.

How's that theory working for ya?

If Rita can’t figure it out at half, we may have the 3rd running clock of the weekend. Rochester seems to be dominating in all facets of the game.

All... Ho hum I tried to let as we from the south say "you-all" know what to expect. Even with most of their game plan. Forgot to mention though the Rocket qb's are taught how to throw in the wind. Coach Leonard by the way for those that don't know is a former qb and in high school played for the Cyclones. Ratsy

Thank God Montini lost to Sycamore.

I did not want to see them play Rochester.

ADVERTISEMENT