ADVERTISEMENT

St. Rita @ Sterling

Sterling and Sterling Newman will both play at home Saturday. IHSA told schools yesterday that Sterling gets either 1pm or 6pm time and Newman will play the other time.

I think this game is tight if Sterling's QB can make plays with his feet, which he without a doubt can, but I think this is the fastest and most athletic team Sterling's played this year. If SR's defense could play somewhat close to what they did at Provi or vs ND, this could be a 2 score final. If they play like they did to start GBS last week, it will be a dogfight. Sterling's defense only needs to know one guys name on SR.....Kaleb. Brown.

My prediction is SR wins 35-14

Sterlings run defense is the only thing I’m not worried about, no matter how good the running back is Rita is going to have to open that run game with some passing. unless their 0 line is dominant, but I think Sterling will hold its own on the line.
I’ve been wrong before.

Reactions: Eringobragh
"No matter how good the running back" is a bold statement. Sounds like you've never seen him play before...

Reactions: Gene K.
Sterling and Sterling Newman will both play at home Saturday. IHSA told schools yesterday that Sterling gets either 1pm or 6pm time and Newman will play the other time.

I think this game is tight if Sterling's QB can make plays with his feet, which he without a doubt can, but I think this is the fastest and most athletic team Sterling's played this year. If SR's defense could play somewhat close to what they did at Provi or vs ND, this could be a 2 score final. If they play like they did to start GBS last week, it will be a dogfight. Sterling's defense only needs to know one guys name on SR.....Kaleb. Brown.

My prediction is SR wins 35-14

I honestly would be real surprised if this was the score; I mean, I hope you're right in this assessment, but it's going to be a very tight game.

I honestly would be real surprised if this was the score; I mean, I hope you're right in this assessment, but it's going to be a very tight game.
Sterling is 10-0 playing at home on the day and time they requested. They are a very good team and with this home field advantage I'd be surprised if this was more than a one score game. I'd say SR should go into the game thinking of themselves as underdogs.

Sterlings run defense is the only thing I’m not worried about, no matter how good the running back is Rita is going to have to open that run game with some passing. unless their 0 line is dominant, but I think Sterling will hold its own on the line.
I’ve been wrong before.
Kaleb Brown is probably the number 1 IL RB/WR in Illinois 2022. Has several P5 offers already as a sophomore. He's going to be a handful for anyone.

Reactions: Gene K. and SGW08
My three keys For Sterling to win this game : they can’t have a slow start, for some reason this year in many games they get off to a slow start in the first quarter and don’t start kicking in until 2-3rd quarter. Many teams have hung with them in the first q, that can’t happen with Saint Rita . second key is to tighten the pass defense up, the teams that have been successful scoring on Sterling have come from passing, third is the line play, I’m interested to see how the O line play will be against ST Rita, all year long O line has opened holes for backs and the QB to sneek through, if they can do the same thing with Rita this could be a high scoring game, if they can’t and get shut down early could be a long day.

Thanks for the analysis. I would say most high school defenses struggle against the pass; it's very difficult to defend against, unless a d-line is very dominant. I just don't see either team's lines totally dominating in the trenches. Some battles will be won, but not total domination.

"No matter how good the running back" is a bold statement. Sounds like you've never seen him play before...
With youtube, hudl, and maxpreps you can basically watch most of a player's career without leaving your computer. I'm sure they have seen a lot of film on the young man. I'd bet they had a coach or two at the last game.

Last edited:
I didn’t mean to sound bold, just stating opinion, I know he’s a load and I’ve seen him play,
I think a lot of any running backs success is from the O Line and Sterlings lines are the one thing I feel confident about, the pass defense on the other hand I worry about, but feel free to run the ball up the middle all you want. Lol also when I said I”ve been wrong before”was a humble statement.

I’ve been wrong before.

If you have followed the CCL playoff threads in the past you will find wolves in sheep’s clothing. That is when rivals of different schools post items to rile up opposing teams playing their rival. .. (Team A will win by 7 td’s over team B). Take posts like that with a grain of salt.

Based on common opponent of Marian Catholic, it should be a close game. However, looking at Sterling's schedule, they really haven't been tested this year. They aren't coming out of your Dad's ole NCIC with the power Geneseo of yesteryear. Sterling has not faced anyone of SRs calibur this year while SR has battled a few big dogs. A fast start by SR could be a problem for Sterling. It will be interesting.

If you have followed the CCL playoff threads in the past you will find wolves in sheep’s clothing. That is when rivals of different schools post items to rile up opposing teams playing their rival. .. (Team A will win by 7 td’s over team B). Take posts like that with a grain of salt.
It never seases to amaze me how out of context someone can take something, Not meant to rile anyone up, just stating my opinion, I’m honestly more worried about Rita passing then running the ball. As far as Rita winning by 7 touchdowns I’ll take that bet, it should be a tight game. With that’s said let’s just let the kids do the talking on the field.

Based on common opponent of Marian Catholic, it should be a close game. However, looking at Sterling's schedule, they really haven't been tested this year. They aren't coming out of your Dad's ole NCIC with the power Geneseo of yesteryear. Sterling has not faced anyone of SRs calibur this year while SR has battled a few big dogs. A fast start by SR could be a problem for Sterling. It will be interesting.
I’m Curious Did Rita have a running clock before half time too? I know they won 55-6 but was it all first half?

It never seases to amaze me how out of context someone can take something, Not meant to rile anyone up, just stating my opinion, I’m honestly more worried about Rita passing then running the ball. As far as Rita winning by 7 touchdowns I’ll take that bet, it should be a tight game. With that’s said let’s just let the kids do the talking on the field.
My posts are not about Sterling posters. They are in reference to posters claiming to be SR fans just stirring the pot. This is going to be a good game. I'ts going to be close. Turnovers/filed position may decide the game.

Agreed, and the only team in their conference still playing is Rock Island who beat Dunlap in round 1
That’s what makes this game so interesting to me.
Nothing would surprise me.

Nope, they pulled Kaleb Brown with about 10 minutes left in the 2nd quarter. He only had 5 carries. The 21 points in the second half were scored by the 2nd and 3rd strings.
That was another game Sterling had a slow start, it was actually 7-6 in the first q but then Sterling scored I think 35 points in Under 3 minuets in the second Q to launch running clock, subs played second half.

I didn’t mean to sound bold, just stating opinion, I know he’s a load and I’ve seen him play,
I think a lot of any running backs success is from the O Line and Sterlings lines are the one thing I feel confident about, the pass defense on the other hand I worry about, but feel free to run the ball up the middle all you want. Lol also when I said I”ve been wrong before”was a humble statement.
Hey SW,

How is Max Gaumer remembered over by dare...

I’ve been wrong before.
I hope you're right because Kaleb Brown is a special talent, if you can keep him contained for the most part, Sterling will have a chance to win.

Reactions: Sterling Warrior
Nope, they pulled Kaleb Brown with about 10 minutes left in the 2nd quarter. He only had 5 carries. The 21 points in the second half were scored by the 2nd and 3rd strings.
5 carries? Yea but that was for 165 yards. Only 7 carries against Glenbard South but that was for only 228 yards.

I know my opinion don't count for much, but Kaleb Brown is the best back I have seen in the last ten years!

I know my opinion don't count for much, but Kaleb Brown is the best back I have seen in the last ten years!

Wow. That's a bold statement. He is really good and time will tell, but I wouldn't personally say that.

Wow. That's a bold statement. He is really good and time will tell, but I wouldn't personally say that.
What ever. Like I said before its my opinion. However you know what everybody says about opinions.

What ever. Like I said before its my opinion. However you know what everybody says about opinions.
I don't think it's an outrageous statement. Kid has an unreal work ethic from what I've seen and heard. He certainly has a chance to be the best of the last decade and beyond.

I'm not ripping you for the pick, I just stated it was a bold statement and at this point he is not the best I have seen in the last 10 years.

I'm surprised he's currently being recruited as a WR. I have no doubt he would excel at WR, but I like him at RB. He already runs with good balance and power. He's not just a speed guy. That will only improve in the next two years. It will be interesting to see where he ends up, position-wise, in college.

ADVERTISEMENT