ADVERTISEMENT

St. Rita @ Sterling

So my dream of Friday night lights in a great football town is still a possibility, or no?

I would be shocked. I was actually surprised this week wasn’t a Saturday game. The preferred date/time for this regime has been Saturday’s at 1 in the playoffs when we are at home (with a couple first round Friday nights).

I wonder why Saturday. Sterling has played every game this year including the playoff game on Friday night.

Might be some gamesmanship? Easy for different routine being at home. But with playing at Loyola every other year, Rita knows a Saturday routine.

Reactions: Gene K.
There was a tentative agreement during the initial call between a.d.’s for Saturday at 1. It is not yet official.
It’s official. Saturday 1
So my dream of Friday night lights in a great football town is still a possibility, or no?

It’s still a possibility, but it won’t be this week in Sterling! The game is Saturday at 1:00

No gamesmanship or anything. That’s just when the preferred day/time for the playoffs has been since the coach got in. I do not remember a second round game ever being on a Friday since he took over. I believe that’s what he grew up with in Metamora and it’s carried up to Sterling.

just curious - why would St Rita prefer Fri. night?
I cant't speak for them. I guess its routine . Sterling has played 10 games this fall all on Friday Night. This breaks their routine too. Pasta night for the boys will just be one day later.

No gamesmanship or anything. That’s just when the preferred day/time for the playoffs has been since the coach got in. I do not remember a second round game ever being on a Friday since he took over. I believe that’s what he grew up with in Metamora and it’s carried up to Sterling.
I prefer Saturday anyways, driving home at 10 PM I can do without.

Reactions: Golden Warrior
just curious - why would St Rita prefer Fri. night?
I don’t know any real information. I do know what they did in the past which was to drive to O’Fallon (4 and half hour trip) and Rockford Auburn (2 hour trip) for Friday night football. Won at O’Fallon, lost at Rockford Auburn. As a fan, I prefer Friday night, but that doesn’t matter to anyone.

Goodness gracious. First ACT Gate from 2 years ago to Starting Time Gate this year. I don’t know if any of us are prepared for an over 250 replies 16k views thread. I better get my posting thumbs in shape:eek::D

Kuska has always fought for Friday night games in the playoffs. SR wants to play Saturday night but Sterling says no

Doesn't the visiting team get one choice? If not the day then they should get the time?

Doesn't the visiting team get one choice? If not the day then they should get the time?
That ain’t how it works. Games are sat unless both teams want Friday time has to be agreed on or IHSA sets it. Apparently they agreed so we can all stop the nonsense.

The games are scheduled to be Saturday unless both agree to move to Friday. Saturday game times have to be between 1 and 7.
And I was aware of times in the past that the IHSA becomes the final arbiter if the two schools can’t agree, like you said earlier, St. Rita could propose a time. But then decoys said that ain’t how it works so I was wondering what he meant because that’s how it’s worked the past 40 years I’ve been following state playoff football.

Taken from the IHSA manual page 29-

Time Schedules Dates and Times:
Saturday Games: All games shall be scheduled between 1:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. Exact starting times shall be determined by the host school after consulting with the visiting school. If a problem exists with the home school’s start time, the IHSA will set the start time after consulting with both schools.

Friday Games: If participating schools mutually agree, any game prior to the State Final may be played Friday. Games shall not be scheduled during school hours.

There is no reason for this thread to be derailed by the scheduling disagreement. Sterling did not agree to Friday night so Friday night is out. Sterling said 1. SR said 6. Sterling offered 2. SR did not agree and said 6. Since teams didn’t agree it’ll be up to the IHSA.

Since it’s a Saturday game for sure and Newman will host as well, I would be surprised if it’s played any later that 2 or 3.

Saturday Games: All games shall be scheduled between 1:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. Exact starting times shall be determined by the host school after consulting with the visiting school. If a problem exists with the home school’s start time, the IHSA will set the start time after consulting with both schools.

Friday Games: If participating schools mutually agree, any game prior to the State Final may be played Friday. Games shall not be scheduled during school hours.

There is no reason for this thread to be derailed by the scheduling disagreement. Sterling did not agree to Friday night so Friday night is out. Sterling said 1. SR said 6. Sterling offered 2. SR did not agree and said 6. Since teams didn’t agree it’ll be up to the IHSA.

Since it’s a Saturday game for sure and Newman will host as well, I would be surprised if it’s played any later that 2 or 3.
Thanks gw

Reactions: gw86

Then the game isn't set then? Idk why asking questions is the end of the world if so? No one said it was any one schools fault.
And yes guess we can never talk about it again because its gonna get played at some point and we will all be made aware.

Then the game isn't set then? Idk why asking questions is the end of the world if so? No one said it was any one schools fault.
And yes guess we can never talk about it again because its gonna get played at some point and we will all be made aware.

It’s not the end of the world to talk about it but there’s a whole lot to it that people get one sided information. So I guess it’s more frustrating when something out of (I’m assuming) all of our hands gets talked about more than what is hopefully a great game. I mean I’m glad it’s Saturday, gives sterling one more day to prepare for a pretty dang good team.

I guess since we went through a very similar situation on this board with the scheduling of the SV game it’s more of a just a face palm situation going through it again.

It’s not the end of the world to talk about it but there’s a whole lot to it that people get one sided information. So I guess it’s more frustrating when something out of (I’m assuming) all of our hands gets talked about more than what is hopefully a great game. I mean I’m glad it’s Saturday, gives sterling one more day to prepare for a pretty dang good team.

I guess since we went through a very similar situation on this board with the scheduling of the SV game it’s more of a just a face palm situation going through it again.
This sums it up, correct? Makes no school right or wrong in their choices.
Rita said Friday, sterling said no. Rita said later Saturday, sterling said no. Ihsa will figure out the time and they'll play the game.

To clarify—Marica said “doesn’t the visiting team get one choice”? To that I replied...”that ain’t how it works”

Secondly, I have looked at SHS twitter and in 2 places there it says the game is at 1:00.....

No need for another thread like before. Let’s talk about football.

I guess my question would be... is Newman forced to play Friday night? … or how do they work that out?

All I know is whatever time it is on Saturday I can’t wait for this game both teams look very good and sounds like it’s gonna be an amazing game and hopefully it turns out to be one! Come on out and support both teams and grab yourself a wonderful pork chop sandwich and enjoy some November football!

Reactions: gw86 and RockSoup
All good here. @gw86 has been solid with the info. Didn’t make sense that with Newman playing Saturday and both visiting schools have the same length commute, this game wouldn’t be Friday. But like g dub said later, why not take the extra day to prep. That’s a fair enough answer

another consideration from a Sterling perspective is that the volleyball supersectional is Friday night. Sterling's vball team won 3a state last year and are a championship contender again this season. the school would certainly want as many students as possible to be able to attend the super on Fri night, if they're fortunate enough to get there.

another consideration from a Sterling perspective is that the volleyball supersectional is Friday night. Sterling's vball team won 3a state last year and are a championship contender again this season. the school would certainly want as many students as possible to be able to attend the super on Fri night, if they're fortunate enough to get there.

That would make sense.

My three keys For Sterling to win this game : they can’t have a slow start, for some reason this year in many games they get off to a slow start in the first quarter and don’t start kicking in until 2-3rd quarter. Many teams have hung with them in the first q, that can’t happen with Saint Rita . second key is to tighten the pass defense up, the teams that have been successful scoring on Sterling have come from passing, third is the line play, I’m interested to see how the O line play will be against ST Rita, all year long O line has opened holes for backs and the QB to sneek through, if they can do the same thing with Rita this could be a high scoring game, if they can’t and get shut down early could be a long day.

Last edited:

Does anyone know....what if the host teams doesn't play their games at their school. The field they normally play on is booked for Saturday and the visiting team says no to Friday. Does the host school need to find an alternate place than they normally do to play the game?

Does anyone know....what if the host teams doesn't play their games at their school. The field they normally play on is booked for Saturday and the visiting team says no to Friday. Does the host school need to find an alternate place than they normally do to play the game?
Saturday 1:00 to 7:00 leaves plenty of time for both games.

Sterling and Sterling Newman will both play at home Saturday. IHSA told schools yesterday that Sterling gets either 1pm or 6pm time and Newman will play the other time.

I think this game is tight if Sterling's QB can make plays with his feet, which he without a doubt can, but I think this is the fastest and most athletic team Sterling's played this year. If SR's defense could play somewhat close to what they did at Provi or vs ND, this could be a 2 score final. If they play like they did to start GBS last week, it will be a dogfight. Sterling's defense only needs to know one guys name on SR.....Kaleb. Brown.

My prediction is SR wins 35-14

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT