ADVERTISEMENT

St. Laurence hires a head coach

My MC buddy has nothing but great things to say about him, both as a coach and as a person. I can't wait!

Any thoughts from the Carmel guys? I know he wasn't there long but he must have made an impression?

Blackmon land anywhere yet?
I have heard about rumors, but nothing concrete yet. You alluded before that you were hearing about a young guy for a long term hire at StL. Is this who you were talking about?

I have heard about rumors, but nothing concrete yet. You alluded before that you were hearing about a young guy for a long term hire at StL. Is this who you were talking about?
He was not the one I heard about.

Frank Lenti is still an advisor at St. Laurence. So I guess he will not be coaching again or has no desire to?

I thought for sure when the opening happened St. Laurence would have named him the coach while mentoring a replacement.

Frank Lenti is still an advisor at St. Laurence. So I guess he will not be coaching again or has no desire to?

I thought for sure when the opening happened St. Laurence would have named him the coach while mentoring a replacement.
It was zero percent chance from the get go. He even addressed the young men right away to quell any speculation.

It was zero percent chance from the get go. He even addressed the young men right away to quell any speculation.
Correct. I never for a minute thought this was going to happen. Frank isn’t taking over a program, he’s 69. Even if he did it would have been short term and Laurence would be hunting for a new coach in a couple years. With this guy they have a someone who is going to be around for the long haul, be a part of the community and fundraisers, and he’s going to be a teacher, so double bonus. Igor my son played Varsity as a Soph and didn’t have s chance to be coached by him when he was on the Soph staff a few years ago but he said he really liked him as did his teammates. Hope it works out! He’s got a lot of talent back.

Reactions: IgorStL and Gene K.
Correct. I never for a minute thought this was going to happen. Frank isn’t taking over a program, he’s 69. Even if he did it would have been short term and Laurence would be hunting for a new coach in a couple years. With this guy they have a someone who is going to be around for the long haul, be a part of the community and fundraisers, and he’s going to be a teacher, so double bonus. Igor my son played Varsity as a Soph and didn’t have s chance to be coached by him when he was on the Soph staff a few years ago but he said he really liked him as did his teammates. Hope it works out! He’s got a lot of talent back.

But what you said in bold is why I thought he may just do it for a year or two with a young guy named as the new coach in waiting moving forward or even as the associate head coach. Either way the whole way it ended for FL just seems sort of incomplete.

Last edited:
Announced today that Harold Blackmon is the new head football coach at Oak Lawn HS.

That’s a big project...if he turns them around in 2 years then he truly is a great coach. Can’t recruit players so he’s going to have to play the cards he’s dealt. Oak Lawn is a changing community.

He'll have to recruit his own kids from the neighborhood and youth program. With BR, SR, MC, StL, etc. recruiting the better players from that area, it will be his biggest challenge. Also, might have to battle HLR, at the youth program, convincing familes and kids to move and play for a traditional football power instead of OL.

How does it work in Oak Lawn? Is there boundaries on where you can atten between Oak Lawn and Richards? I know Hometown residents go to Oak Lawn and Robbins attend Richards....

How does it work in Oak Lawn? Is there boundaries on where you can atten between Oak Lawn and Richards? I know Hometown residents go to Oak Lawn and Robbins attend Richards....

All Public schools have boundaries. He will get the players he is dealt with in the schools region.

One dividing line is 99th. HLR gets the feeders with Linus and Catherine's. HLR also gets the Ridge and Robbins kids.

Robbins also goes to Ike & Shepard & Bremen?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT