ADVERTISEMENT

St. Ignatius - Fall 2017 Season

HRCJR

Jun 30, 2014
From the AD at SICP:

Dear Football Families-

As you likely heard from your sons last evening, John O'Connor submitted his letter of resignation to me as our head football coach for personal reasons. John wanted to talk directly to student-athletes in the program, which he did yesterday afternoon.

In his three year tenure, Coach O'C has led the Wolfpack to two IHSA state playoff appearances and one Chicago Catholic League White Division Title.

On behalf of all of us, I want to publicly thank Head Coach John O'Connor for his leadership of our program the last three seasons and to wish him all of the best in the future.

The school will begin a process to select Coach O'Connor's successor. It is our intent to ensure a smooth coaching transition in preparation for the upcoming Summer and Fall football programs at Ignatius.

From the AD at SICP:

Dear Football Families-

As you likely heard from your sons last evening, John O'Connor submitted his letter of resignation to me as our head football coach for personal reasons. John wanted to talk directly to student-athletes in the program, which he did yesterday afternoon.

In his three year tenure, Coach O'C has led the Wolfpack to two IHSA state playoff appearances and one Chicago Catholic League White Division Title.

On behalf of all of us, I want to publicly thank Head Coach John O'Connor for his leadership of our program the last three seasons and to wish him all of the best in the future.

The school will begin a process to select Coach O'Connor's successor. It is our intent to ensure a smooth coaching transition in preparation for the upcoming Summer and Fall football programs at Ignatius.

Whats the skuttle butt on the applicants? Staying in house? Opening it up? Front runner? Whats the word?!

I would hate to lose any of the wonderful staff at Loyola, but Iggy should go a poaching....

Loyola or Montini, I could see it... any catholic school really. But the staff there is good? 2 playoff appearances, 1 CCL title. Could be a coordinator getting the bump.

Reactions: Gene K.
Loyola or Montini, I could see it... any catholic school really. But the staff there is good? 2 playoff appearances, 1 CCL title. Could be a coordinator getting the bump.
I was thinking the Jesuit connection between the 2 schools. Also, LA grabbed Holacek from Iggy...

If you're going to get someone off the Jesuit school coaching tree, aim high. I hear this guy is available.
04-tom-coughlin-051715-getty-ftrjpg_rvbmyz19y5e01air32hlt9rwb.jpg

I was thinking the Jesuit connection between the 2 schools. Also, LA grabbed Holacek from Iggy...

Oh sure sure Jesuit, my mistake for not seeing that. Overall I fell like its a desirable job? If I'm not mistaken they bought some more land near the football field to upgrade facilities. They could market themselves as "Chicago's Catholic League Team" given that they're so close to downtown. Really fire some of the south siders up haha

Oh sure sure Jesuit, my mistake for not seeing that. Overall I fell like its a desirable job? If I'm not mistaken they bought some more land near the football field to upgrade facilities. They could market themselves as "Chicago's Catholic League Team" given that they're so close to downtown. Really fire some of the south siders up haha
They are not the only Catholic in the city so that is a claim they should not make especially since they don't have the history that the others do

Would Holecek go? Perhaps cement his legacy if he were to make Iggy into Loyola?

They are not the only Catholic in the city so that is a claim they should not make especially since they don't have the history that the others do

I know, thats the point. Northwestern isn't in Chicago, its in Evanston. They claim to be "Chicago's Big 10 Team". So where Ignatius might not be the only CCL team located in Chicago, making that claim would be an exciting thing for fans. A brash declaration by a new head coach letting the city know that Ignatius is on its way!!

Last edited:
No one at a typical CCL school would take this job. Way too hard to get players in.

Reactions: McCaravan
As said, it's very hard to get players in. They don't bend on admission standards or tuition, which is in excess of 20K. Even if a player is a decent student, they need to meet their test standards. They don't have a freshman team, freshman play up on Soph. Plus side there isn't a whole lot of pressure to win.

I think if you market it like a Stanford or a Northwestern you could get kids in. 30 mile radius remember. Go into River North, Lincoln Park, Lakeview area of the city or out to River Forest and say that St. Ignatius is only targeting the upper echelon kids (or however you want to word it, I'm sure theres a more PC way to do it) find families that can afford it and think little Johnny is going to be a doctor or a lawyer. Could be done. Not saying it would be easy, but not impossible.

Youll
I think if you market it like a Stanford or a Northwestern you could get kids in. 30 mile radius remember. Go into River North, Lincoln Park, Lakeview area of the city or out to River Forest and say that St. Ignatius is only targeting the upper echelon kids (or however you want to word it, I'm sure theres a more PC way to do it) find families that can afford it and think little Johnny is going to be a doctor or a lawyer. Could be done. Not saying it would be easy, but not impossible.
You'll just provide bulletin board for the rest of the league. Loyola, Fenwick, and Benet get it done this way already without the bold pronouncements. You probably need a critical mass of Cubs, Sox, Hawks, Bears and Bulls kids to pull this off.

I'm just saying it could be done. You're right these schools are also doing it with a similar blue print but theres always room on the block for a new kid. Also Iggy not playing in the Blue or the Green or the ESCC... wouldnt have to get AS MANY big time kids matching up against Joes and Aurora Christian.

I drove by St. Ignatius the other day and they have cleared land on the south side of Roosevelt, across from the school for a new athletic center. I found a picture on the internet of the cleared out land on where Ignatius will be building the Athletic Center.
ignatius-2.jpg

On the heels of Bmac, Francis and Aurora Christian leaving and something happening to Leo and St. Joe, Ignatius might be in 1 of 2 divisions.

As said, it's very hard to get players in. They don't bend on admission standards or tuition, which is in excess of 20K. Even if a player is a decent student, they need to meet their test standards. They don't have a freshman team, freshman play up on Soph. Plus side there isn't a whole lot of pressure to win.
I heard Sujka in the mix for HC

I sent two kids to St. Ignatius during the 80's. Great school and great teachers. While the standards for admission and tuition are high, I agree with Tonplugzerolock that fielding a solid football program at Iggy is doable. Standford and Northwestern have solid football programs (w/good coaches) and if Iggy can get a very good coach/recruiter in they could be very competitive.

I sent two kids to St. Ignatius during the 80's. Great school and great teachers. While the standards for admission and tuition are high, I agree with Tonplugzerolock that fielding a solid football program at Iggy is doable. Standford and Northwestern have solid football programs (w/good coaches) and if Iggy can get a very good coach/recruiter in they could be very competitive.
The difference between them is athletic scholarships. Even though Stanford, Northwestern & even Duke consider themselves equals if not better than the Ivy League, they all offer athletic scholarships which are not available at Ivy League schools or at SICP. A better comparison might be SICP & Yale or Harvard.

The difference between them is athletic scholarships. Even though Stanford, Northwestern & even Duke consider themselves equals if not better than the Ivy League, they all offer athletic scholarships which are not available at Ivy League schools or at SICP. A better comparison might be SICP & Yale or Harvard.
That is the kicker, the tuition. There was a football player in my sons class, straight A's, very intelligent tested and was accepted at Iggy. Great football and baseball player, he was accepted at Iggy, but he is from a large family, all in Catholic school, even with financial aid it would have still been 6,000 more a year then other local schools and he ended up at MC.

WRT the Ivy League and full scholarship for sports. If a recruit holds a full ride athletic scholarship to Stanford or Duke (MIT too but this is not athletic) and prefer to go to the Ivy League, the Ivy League institution is allowed to match a full scholarship to their school. I know that Cornell was the first to do this in 2008 and there was a pretty big stink about it but it was determined to be legal because it applied to everyone regardless of sport or not.

Thats why I said areas like River North, Lincoln Park, Lakeview and River Forest... traditionally affluent areas. Knowing the catholic league as I do, they'll probably go with an old battle axe that has been at a southside school for 15 years or something. The old boys club is strong in the CCL.

WRT the Ivy League and full scholarship for sports. If a recruit holds a full ride athletic scholarship to Stanford or Duke (MIT too but this is not athletic) and prefer to go to the Ivy League, the Ivy League institution is allowed to match a full scholarship to their school. I know that Cornell was the first to do this in 2008 and there was a pretty big stink about it but it was determined to be legal because it applied to everyone regardless of sport or not.
Wow, I wasn't aware of that. Is it only if they have a full athletic scholarship to Stanford or Duke? Or can they do it if it's a scholarship to say Michigan or Wisconsin?

What about Dave Lenti or Jordan Lynch for the HC post. Could be a great place for Lynch to get his feet wet.

Caravan,

The rule is a full scholarship or any part there of from Duke, Stanford, MIT or any member Ivy League school can be matched. In other words if you get a non athletic full ride from Duke, Stanford, MIT, etc... the Ivy's can match the value relative to their full cost of attendance or monetary value which ever is greater. Since it applies to every potential student, athletes that get an athletic scholarship from Stanford or Duke also qualify. All said they still have to meet the minimum Band levels with their AP score. No, Michigan, Northwestern, Wisconsin, etc... do not qualify for this program.

Wow, I wasn't aware of that. Is it only if they have a full athletic scholarship to Stanford or Duke? Or can they do it if it's a scholarship to say Michigan or Wisconsin?

School Athletic Director, Paul Ickes, is pleased to announce the hiring of Matthew Miller as Saint
Ignatius College Prep’s Interim Head Varsity Football Coach for the 2017 season.

Athletic Director Ickes said, “The Ignatius football staff was unified in their support for Matt Miller
assuming leadership of our football program for the 2017 season. My first meeting with Coach Miller
lasted three and a half hours- his knowledge of the game, his statistical and technical acumen, and his
passion for coaching and for football- were all quite apparent to me. I was convinced, and so were our
School Officers, that Matt was the right person for this position this coming season.”

Miller most recently served as the Varsity Football Offensive Coordinator for Saint Ignatius from March 2015 to present.In this role he provided the season long installation schedule for offense, coordinated team offensive meetings,produced daily practice plans, completed weekly opponent scouting reports, and managed offensive play calling duties amongst other responsibilities.

Miller’s other coaching experience includes serving as the Varsity Quarterbacks & Co-Sophomore Head Coach at Lane Tech College Prep in Chicago. In this role he coordinated and carried out daily drills and activities and planned and conducted sophomore practices, and sophomore game offensive play calling. Miller also served as the Sophomore Football Coach at St. Patrick High School in Chicago.

Miller graduated from Ripon College in Wisconsin with a B.A. in History and Sociology and also attended Guerin College Preparatory in River Grove, IL.

When asked about his new role at Saint Ignatius, Miller said, “I’m incredibly excited for the opportunity to lead the Saint Ignatius football program. We have a great group of kids who have worked really hard this off-season. In addition, I have an extremely dedicated and talented coaching staff around me that will ensure we're prepared each and every week. We're all looking forward to a successful 2017 season. ”

Please join us in welcoming Matthew Miller to his new role at Saint Ignatius College Prep.

Reactions: Gene K. and Q5clan
Maybe if Ignatius didn't charge $760 for summer football camp their numbers would increase..

Good hire! Matt Miller is a great guy, sure he's a former teammate of mine, but he will do a great job at SICP!

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT