ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Stategies

godfthr53

Gold Member
Sep 8, 2008
What do you think Coaches will focus on in the spring, Winning games? Developing younger players sacrificing wins ? Playing seniors?

There's a lot of ways coaches can approach this spring season. If I were a Head Coach I think I would make sure my whole roster is playing top to bottom, each and every game. Not caring about wins. Make sure seniors are getting a lot of time, they've been through hell their last year of High School, Whether they are good or not they deserve plenty of reps.

It depends on the numbers in your program but for WWS they will play their best and try to win every game since they have a ton of games scheduled so everyone will have an opportunity to play.

Currently they have:
6 varsity games
6 JV games
6 Sophomore games
6 Freshman game
6 Fresh/ Soph combined B games

Last edited:
I think you go with the players who stayed with the program's activities the most during the off months and hung in there when things were not looking so promising. Senior or not, Johnny-come-lately will be low on the depth chart.

That is an excellent question and topic of discission.

What I’m hearing from coaches is that many teams will balance the competitive side and developing their roster. Absolutely the goal is to win each game, it will have been over 450 days since a team has played a football game and each coach and player wants to feel that dopamine and the joy of winning. Coaches will also balance that with developing their roster and using these games as “pre-season” for their underclassmen to get a good idea of what they will have in the spring. Coaches will do their very best to make sure it is as memorable of a season as possible for every senior and to get them playing time as well as long as they stay competitive and it aligns with their goal to win the game.

Expect a good handful of scholarship kids unfortunately to sit out these games due to the fact they don’t want to risk injury and impact their college career. Will be very interesting to see how it plays out…..

MC seniors have not lost a game yet, so they want to finish their careers undefeated. Should they drop a game early maybe they shift gears but right now they want to go 6-0. With nothing on the line, that’s what they are playing for. With games against LA, Marist, BR and Montini there will be some great football. MC Soph have only 4 games as Montini and De La Salle aren’t fielding Soph teams this Spring, so it really sucks for them.

Reactions: Bowie50
MC seniors have not lost a game yet, so they want to finish their careers undefeated. Should they drop a game early maybe they shift gears but right now they want to go 6-0. With nothing on the line, that’s what they are playing for. With games against LA, Marist, BR and Montini there will be some great football. MC Soph have only 4 games as Montini and De La Salle aren’t fielding Soph teams this Spring, so it really sucks for them.
Interesting I think Naz is playing a soph schedule but not a frosh. Which seems to make more sense in which level to drop.

I wonder how much coaching season conflicts might have to do with some of the lower level team cancellations or consolidations due to staffing shortages?

I wonder how much coaching season conflicts might have to do with some of the lower level team cancellations or consolidations due to staffing shortages?
Have you ever seen some of the coaching staffs at private schools. 30 deep in some cases. I doubt its the latter.

Reactions: missingwalter
ICE should be weak enough that Reents will get to play the Seniors, secure the win, then bring in the underclassmen so they can develop. Win win for all. CC will be only true test.

The kids or the dads don’t want to lose a game? That is the real question. How much influence do the parents have with this situation?

The kids or the dads don’t want to lose a game? That is the real question. How much influence do the parents have with this situation?
Not sure I follow ya...why would the Dads of the players come into play with this?

Just saying a lot of dad’s reliving their youth through their kids.
I didn't read anything like that into mccaravan's post. He simply said the seniors want to keep their undefeated streak going.

Now I'm sure all the fans want that too. Not sure what's wrong with that. Winning is fun. Everyone enjoys winning.

I have no affiliation with MC, but I'll admit I admire Mt Carmels program and the dedication of the admin, coaches, players and fans. I wish every HS had that type of program. Cool to see.

Just saying a lot of dad’s reliving their youth through their kids.
I would hope and assume they want it more then their Fathers....any Father of these players already saw their son's have a remarkable HS run with a State Ring to boot, if there are any Dad's reliving their youth then the Class of 2021 gave them their monies worth.

Last edited:
I would hope and assume they want it more then their Fathers....any Father of these players already saw their son's have a remarkable HS run with a State Ring to boot, if there are any Dad's reliving their youth then the Class of 2021 gave them their monies worth.
Except there will be so many more Carmel players who won more games. Will be the arguement in SS bars til the end of time.

Reactions: McCaravan
ADVERTISEMENT