ADVERTISEMENT

Spring so they say

Jpnno1

Oct 18, 2016
I’m a football coach and the news today was expected but still feels like a gut punch... They said we can play in the spring that’s if they clear us to play. In my opinion, spring will only be a go if their is a vaccine by then. The virus isn’t going anywhere as much as I hate to say it.

I’m a football coach and the news today was expected but still feels like a gut punch... They said we can play in the spring that’s if they clear us to play. In my opinion, spring will only be a go if their is a vaccine by then. The virus isn’t going anywhere as much as I hate to say it.

Coach you sound like someone who thinks logically. We have a bunch of over active HS football fans here who just want the season to start so bad they don’t think like you. Glad we have coaches like you that can slow down and look at reality.
I totally agree the virus isn’t going anywhere and the only thing we as a country can do is slow the spread so all the front line people and hospitals can keep up with all the infected people. I hope they can come up with a vaccine for the spring.
Thanks for your input. I know it’s hard but hang in their you will be coaching again in no time.

Coach you sound like someone who thinks logically. We have a bunch of over active HS football fans here who just want the season to start so bad they don’t think like you. Glad we have coaches like you that can slow down and look at reality.
I totally agree the virus isn’t going anywhere and the only thing we as a country can do is slow the spread so all the front line people and hospitals can keep up with all the infected people. I hope they can come up with a vaccine for the spring.
Thanks for your input. I know it’s hard but hang in their you will be coaching again in no time.
FYI we slowed the spread as far down as we ever will. Should begin Aug 10, but I guess we can get our fill with Indiana football starting Monday.

It’s called stake holders vs non stake holders I’m sure if LWE 2005 season was about to get cancelled you would have been on here singing a different tune.

They are just waiting for the election

FYI we slowed the spread as far down as we ever will. Should begin Aug 10, but I guess we can get our fill with Indiana football starting Monday.
I'll bet you even money that Indiana doesn't complete the season or even close to it. Players will get it and they will shut things down. You know me I don't want it to happen but with all the headaches that happened with MLB this week and NFL Players backing out I just can't see anything being played this fall.

I'll bet you even money that Indiana doesn't complete the season or even close to it. Players will get it and they will shut things down. You know me I don't want it to happen but with all the headaches that happened with MLB this week and NFL Players backing out I just can't see anything being played this fall.
I accepted this reality a week or so ago.

It’s called stake holders vs non stake holders I’m sure if LWE 2005 season was about to get cancelled you would have been on here singing a different tune.
This is the "what if it was your kid" argument. I am pissed and neither of my sons have played high school/college football in years. I am not a stakeholder. But, I still hate it and I think it sucks.

That's a fair assessment. I tend to agree with you. But, I hope I am wrong.

Like you, I and others we're Coach's who put the time in during the long off-season and Summer for the kid's benefit and not happy with the outcome of this as it hurts them.

Then there are those who Coach because they're looking for extra stipend money, free shirts and hats and glad the season was postponed and shortened when it resumes.

I don't think this benefits the kids and that's what High School Football and sports should focus on......

The Players!

Reactions: Gene K.
Like you, I and others we're Coach's who put the time in during the long off-season and Summer for the kid's benefit and not happy with the outcome of this as it hurts them.

Then there are those who Coach because they're looking for extra stipend money, free shirts and hats and glad the season was postponed and shortened when it resumes.

I don't think this benefits the kids and that's what High School Football and sports should focus on......

The Players!

How are kids getting screwed? I don’t understand the logic.

so how are they getting screwed.

Some people actually like playing for their school teams. Most kids do not play with the goal of college athletics and would rather not shell out the thousands of dollars it cost for the travel BS.

There was no season last year and half the season this year has already been cut.

Track in particular has been screwed. No outdoor season. No club season and all there has been is a handful of meets in July. Next year no indoor season. The club scene is not very organized and most kids do not compete. High school is the main source of competition and also recruiting for the kids who care about that.

Some people actually like playing for their school teams. Most kids do not play with the goal of college athletics and would rather not shell out the thousands of dollars it cost for the travel BS.

There was no season last year and half the season this year has already been cut.

Track in particular has been screwed. No outdoor season. No club season and all there has been is a handful of meets in July. Next year no indoor season. The club scene is not very organized and most kids do not compete. High school is the main source of competition and also recruiting for the kids who care about that.

Let’s discuss track. Most schools do not compete in indoor meets. Actually it’s a huge advantage to Chicagoland that have multiple venues to conduct indoor meets. That being said, it’s a luxury and should be treated as such. Track is the only sport that has two seasons. Indoor and outdoor. Yes it was unfortunate that they didn’t have the opportunity to compete last year however, when I compare it to the number of kids who didn’t have a high school graduation, I can’t look at it as screwed.

Fast forward you this year or the potential season, the month of April was eliminated and the month of June was added. We all know that the meets in late March and April were hit and miss due to the weather. Most where canceled or top runners didn’t run. Now those months are being replaced with June which is much better for posting the times needed to get scholarship money. Again, how are they getting screwed.

Yes you are losing indoor season for some (again most schools don’t compete) but it’s not screwed. Technically the playing field is leveled this year. Remember track is a sport that a school has to pay to participate in the meet. The more money your school make in revenue generating sports, the better track season you may have. While some considered it screwed, others considered it a luxury.

If it's mid-January and maybe things are looking better, but we haven't reached the point where the relocated fall sports will be allowed, is there anything in the IHSA plan to revert back to a typical spring schedule? Not rooting for that to happen, just curious if it's been mentioned.

Let’s discuss track. Most schools do not compete in indoor meets. Actually it’s a huge advantage to Chicagoland that have multiple venues to conduct indoor meets. That being said, it’s a luxury and should be treated as such. Track is the only sport that has two seasons. Indoor and outdoor. Yes it was unfortunate that they didn’t have the opportunity to compete last year however, when I compare it to the number of kids who didn’t have a high school graduation, I can’t look at it as screwed.

Fast forward you this year or the potential season, the month of April was eliminated and the month of June was added. We all know that the meets in late March and April were hit and miss due to the weather. Most where canceled or top runners didn’t run. Now those months are being replaced with June which is much better for posting the times needed to get scholarship money. Again, how are they getting screwed.

Yes you are losing indoor season for some (again most schools don’t compete) but it’s not screwed. Technically the playing field is leveled this year. Remember track is a sport that a school has to pay to participate in the meet. The more money your school make in revenue generating sports, the better track season you may have. While some considered it screwed, others considered it a luxury.

I am not going to speak for small 1a school in central and southern Illinois but the amount of 3a schools without indoor track is very low. 2a I can think of Manteno and Peotone as the only schools within 60 miles of here that do not have an indoor season. As for the smaller schools I see plenty of them either at meets or in results every week during February and March.

Lets talk about "revenue generating" sports at the high school level. How much money do you think the average football team (non tuition paying) brings in after you deduct stipends, workers, equipment, reconditioning and transportation costs? Not to mention the cost of an overnight trip for a football team if you happen to take one.

I am not going to speak for small 1a school in central and southern Illinois but the amount of 3a schools without indoor track is very low. 2a I can think of Manteno and Peotone as the only schools within 60 miles of here that do not have an indoor season. As for the smaller schools I see plenty of them either at meets or in results every week during February and March.

Lets talk about "revenue generating" sports at the high school level. How much money do you think the average football team (non tuition paying) brings in after you deduct stipends, workers, equipment, reconditioning and transportation costs? Not to mention the cost of an overnight trip for a football team if you happen to take one.

Depends on the school. Most don’t take overnight trips and a lot of schools use volunteers. Athletic fee covers a majority of the cost to operate. Back to your track point. It’s about 600 or so schools participate in track. How many would you say participate in indoor track? Next question, how many attend more than one indoor meet a year?

Maybe maybe not? I don’t know since we didn’t have Covid back then. I know for sure it would of been a tough decision and one that I am glad I didn’t face in 2005. Parents have to be smart and think long term. I feel for all you guys and hope you do what’s right for your kids and your community.
Stay as safe as you can everyone.

Depends on the school. Most don’t take overnight trips and a lot of schools use volunteers. Athletic fee covers a majority of the cost to operate. Back to your track point. It’s about 600 or so schools participate in track. How many would you say participate in indoor track? Next question, how many attend more than one indoor meet a year?

Easily over 400. Probably around 500.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT