ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Football Schedules

Wassup13

Nov 9, 2002
Are they out? Thought I saw Brother Rice schedule posted on twitter.

Schools in many cases have a 7 game schedule ready to go but in almost every case with no additional direction from anyone....I don’t expect too many more schools to comply for now

Reactions: Bwm57
Looks like ST L opens with Joliet Catholic at Home on MARCH 5 - just per the school athletic website - not sure how official that is tho - at least it agrees with the BR Rice schedule I see above - the game is scheduled for 4/16 at STL

Schools in many cases have a 7 game schedule ready to go but in almost every case with no additional direction from anyone....I don’t expect too many more schools to comply for now
This was not a chopped schedule for BR off the original 2020 schedule, couple things got moved around. MC was supposed to play them the last game.

IHSA supposed to be voting Wednesday on a new proposed spring and summer sports schedule. If you haven't seen it I will try to post the document later. Football games would begin May 3 with practice starting 1 week before.

Reactions: JAYC14
That looks like it would shorten the traditional spring sports even more than what they did

Having an increasingly hard time believing that any of the "high risk" sports are happening if kids are still fully remote learning.

Reactions: Gene K.
Kudos to Glenbrook 225 last night...they announced beginning Jan 19 that they are going to 5 days, full time for all students who are in-person learning. No more hybrid. Lead the way!

Are they doing weekly Covid testing of students? A few districts starting to do this in hopes of getting back full time.

Are they doing weekly Covid testing of students? A few districts starting to do this in hopes of getting back full time.
They were at least intially piloting the program. I'm pretty sure I saw something recently where they've continued with it, but I can't seem to find the article.

My kids have been in Catholic grade school in class learning all year. No issues.

My kids have been to and it’s relatively easy to do at the grade school level but at large public high school there are a lot more issues to deal with.

Reactions: lookoutforliam
So many questions and gaping holes in this don't even know where to start...
No way this happens, two things football wise is ending the season in the beginning of May was already cutting it close to the 2021 Fall season, ending it in June, no way. Second, most seniors, unless there is a legit State Title game, will not want to play a month after they graduate.

No way this happens, two things football wise is ending the season in the beginning of May was already cutting it close to the 2021 Fall season, ending it in June, no way. Second, most seniors, unless there is a legit State Title game, will not want to play a month after they graduate.
and the really good ones will be off to college camp.

So many questions and gaping holes in this don't even know where to start...
Certainly an admirable attempt to push the highest risk sports to the end. Unfortunately, decimating small school football/basketball/wrestling programs, combined with minimal break between football seasons, along with the multitude of seniors that would bow out, this plan is done before it gets started.

Kudos to Glenbrook 225 last night...they announced beginning Jan 19 that they are going to 5 days, full time for all students who are in-person learning. No more hybrid. Lead the way!
All it took was a tragedy for them to grow a pair.

Reactions: McCaravan
My kids have been to and it’s relatively easy to do at the grade school level but at large public high school there are a lot more issues to deal with.
3 year olds. 3 classes of 20 little booger monsters. It’s a Petri dish. Good luck getting them to all keep their masks on. Despite all this, not one issue. You’re telling me HS kids are more difficult to manage.

3 year olds. 3 classes of 20 little booger monsters. It’s a Petri dish. Good luck getting them to all keep their masks on. Despite all this, not one issue. You’re telling me HS kids are more difficult to manage.
80 classes an hour of 30+ kids. Different from a sheer numbers standpoint

Reactions: Bowie50
80 classes an hour of 30+ kids. Different from a sheer numbers standpoint
I'd be surprised if classes are nearly that full. My wife is a JR high teacher in a big district and the most students she is expecting in one class is 13 and the lowest is 7.

I have just read the attendance plan for a very large public high school, Warren High School in Gurnee, and while I am very old and not sharp, from what I can make out, it seems like actual physical school attendance is about as limited as you can get.
To keep the numbers simple, let's say there are 4,000 students enrolled at Warren ... 2,000 at one campus and 2,000 at the other.
Each of the 2,000-student campuses is divided into four 500-person groups. Each of the four 500-person groups will physically be at Warren High School roughly 20 percent of the possible learning time.
Five-day weeks are divided into morning/afternoon sessions which gives each of the 500-student group a possibility of attending 10 sessions per week.
However, the plan posted online seems to say each group will attend TWO sessions out of a possible 10 each week. That's 20 percent in-school learning and 80 percent online learning. Right now, students are 100 percent online learning.
The problem obviously is that there is just limited building space to utilize. I suspect other schools have similar problems.
I chuckled a bit when I believe someone commenting on Mount Carmel High School in Chicago I believe it was, noted that when he went there several decades ago, the building could accommodate 2,000 boys and now that enrollment is apparently well under 1,000 that the school should be able to successfully have in-school class.
I chuckled because it got me thinking specifically of Deerfield High School. If you were a student at that school in 2000 and drove by the school today, your reaction would be that the size of the school building has like doubled.
Yet, enrollment at Deerfield High School for IHSA purposes for the current year is 1,628, which is pretty much what it was 20 years ago.
But, if you go inside the school, it looks nothing like it did back in the day. The building may have double the size, but because of the ever-changing world we live in, schools have had to change their layouts, and as a result, the guess here is that Deerfield can accommodate (forget the COVID issue) the same number of students now as it did in 2000. And that's with a significantly larger facility. So, when I think about school size and enrollment, it's kind of hard to project capability with this darn virus thing still happening..
I only used Deerfield as an example because my daughter went there and I am amazed at the changes that have been made as the school district successfully keeps pace with the real world of needed learning in 2021.

I'd be surprised if classes are nearly that full. My wife is a JR high teacher in a big district and the most students she is expecting in one class is 13 and the lowest is 7.
I just meant at full capacity. D211 ranges in class size during hybrid, but usually less than 10

Kids wearing a masks at any age is a non issue. The kids who don't want to wear them are able to stay home. The kids actually attending school want to be there for the most part. If schools take away elearning options then it would be an issue.

All it took was a tragedy for them to grow a pair.

To be clear, the plan had been released a while ago, but board finally approved on Monday night.

This was after a student survey about expected attendance. I believe about 35% plan to attend, predominantly upperclassmen.

Reason for this is the new plan requires students to leave for lunch. Underclassmen without cars and with working parents often are going remote as a result.

ADVERTISEMENT