ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Football: Positives?

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Was asked to provide a list to positives from IHSA football moving to the spring....and I get a few deep then....nothing.

Positives to moving to spring?

More time to improve/prepare

Underclassmen groups will have live college coaches/evaluations for recruiting purposes

Better weather (hopefully) as the season progresses versus the fall

Roster Opportunity...some kids will leave.grad early/transfer and will open some spots for younger guys to get PT

Developmental season? Some coaches could be more inclined to go a bit younger/play more younger guys due to the potential of not playing for a true state title?

What else?

Was asked to provide a list to positives from IHSA football moving to the spring....and I get a few deep then....nothing.

Positives to moving to spring?

More time to improve/prepare

Underclassmen groups will have live college coaches/evaluations for recruiting purposes

Better weather (hopefully) as the season progresses versus the fall

What else?

Given the circumstances I will add more time to sort things out which provide a greater chance of making through the season.

IF, the NCAA at any level can get the season going and continue to move forward, more kids will get to visit schools on game days.

Reactions: McCaravan
If there are no State Titles on the line some players from the classes of 2022 and 2023 may get some more playing time in games and make it for a more competitive 2021 Fall Season. Underclassmen can take their licks now and come out firing a few months later in the fall.

• No uncomfortable hot, humid and stifling conditions plus free of insects (personally much rather have it cold).
  • Little chance of those lightning-filled late summer storms that cause game completion uncertainties, altho that could be traded for some snow/ice issues.
  • No fighting late summer Friday rush hour traffic, particularly on long non-con trips.

The weather the first six weeks will be worse than anything we typically see in October/November.

The real positive is if we play that means things are getting close to normal.

Given the circumstances I will add more time to sort things out which provide a greater chance of making through the season.
Agreed. This is a big positive. Even though there is a decent possibility that it doesn't happen in the Spring, it does provide some hope. And, of course, it's better than nothing, which could have been and still might be the eventual outcome.

Reactions: Gene K.
  • No uncomfortable hot, humid and stifling conditions plus free of insects (personally much rather have it cold).
  • Little chance of those lightning-filled late summer storms that cause game completion uncertainties, altho that could be traded for some snow/ice issues.
  • No fighting late summer Friday rush hour traffic, particularly on long non-con trips.

Yeah it doesn’t rain and storm in the spring...

development opportunities for freshman. allowing them 6 months in a weight program before playing.

That would probably require actually being in the building. I am guessing schools who are fully remote will want the least amount of people on campus as possible.

Reactions: Gene K.
That would probably require actually being in the building. I am guessing schools who are fully remote will want the least amount of people on campus as possible.

weight room will be the exception.

Depends on the school, but I know many are giving daily workouts for kids with and without equipment, not to mention, they should naturally mature some over that time.

Depends on the school, but I know many are giving daily workouts for kids with and without equipment, not to mention, they should naturally mature some over that time.

You can give stuff to do on their own. But doing things on their own for six months is not gonna happen for most kids. Especially Frosh.

You can give stuff to do on their own. But doing things on their own for six months is not gonna happen for most kids. Especially Frosh.
oh, you're right and getting them to show up after the season as freshman isn't easy either, but if they want to work, they've got the time.

1. Colleges will have more time to evaluate recruits in winter/spring.
2. 2021 kids get more time to do off sesson training.
3. More exposure through showcasing, 7on7 and big man camps.
4. Get ACT/SAT out the way.
5. More time to spend on academics.
6. Players will be sharper for summer college camps.

This will get players accustomed to playing in the spring for the next reincarnation of the XFL

I would have all of my freshmen especially the linemen wrestle would be awesome.

I would also tell as many as possible to do cross country if for nothing else then the conditioning. Then maybe you could hook some for track.

Is it possible to use any local dooms or indoor facilities for games. You can play 2 Games Friday 4 saturday and 4 Sunday.
Not sure how many, if any, have lines for a regulation football field. Also no locker rooms, not a lot of seating for fans, parking issues. If there are no fans than maybe the Max, Barrington, Athletico in Northbrook/Glenview.

Not sure how many, if any, have lines for a regulation football field. Also no locker rooms, not a lot of seating for fans, parking issues. If there are no fans than maybe the Max, Barrington, Athletico in Northbrook/Glenview.

Athletico Glenview isnt 120 yards wide and roof height would be an issue for kucks

Could be an opportunity for some districts with turf fields and even a few park districts to "rent" their fields to schools with grass fields.

Athletico Glenview isnt 120 yards wide and roof height would be an issue for kucks
You are right. Looks like it only has 110 yards. They could play like they did the NU/UIUC game at Wrigley and only play offense in one direction.

ADVERTISEMENT